Start by marking “Chosen for Death (Thea Kozak, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen for Death (Thea Kozak, #1)

Chosen for Death

(Thea Kozak #1)

Thea Kozak's younger sister is murdered, leaving Kozak wondering if her sister's adoption and search for her birth parents have something to do with her death. New paperback edition of the 1994 novel that introduced Kozak.
Published January 28th 2003 by THe Mystery Company An Imprint of the Crum Creek Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen for Death

Start your review of Chosen for Death (Thea Kozak, #1)
Zain
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay

The book was not really the type of book you read for a clever whodunnit. It has all the usual action and cliches that are found in most mysteries.
Pam Davis
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for me

As an adopted daughter, I must say I am thoroughly offended. Every time someone called the biological mother her "real mother I wanted to scream. My mother was the one who raised me, loved me, put me to bed at night and ALL the things that all mothers do. The same goes for all her "real" brothers. I would suggest if another book on this topic is written that there is at least some research into the subject. Shame on you Kate Flora.
Ruby Bibi
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Realistic characters and good mystery.

-Thea Kozak is a young and very capable woman, about 30 years old. She’s seen heartbreak, as her husband, whom she loved deeply, had passed away several years earlier in an accident after only two years of marriage, causing her to throw herself completely into work since then. After a series of different jobs, she ended up working for someone who was a consultant for higher schools of learning, and found that it fit her well.
-She was the eldest in her fami
Shirley
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thea's younger sister is brutally murdered and the police have no suspects. During questioning, the detective on the case rubs Thea the wrong way, and her added grief doesn't help the situation. Thinking about why her sister moved out of state leads Thea to speculate that her sister was on a search for her birth parents, a task her adoptive parents refused to help with. Did something, or someone, turn up on that search that caused her to be in harm's way? Thea is determined to find out and begin ...more
Steve
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise appealed to me. A young woman is murdered and her sister, Thea, sets out to learn who did it. But, it did not live up to my expectations.

** SOME SPOILERS PRESENT BELOW **

The family of the dead girl took all of the fun out of dysfunctional. They each had issues and most of them were not fleshed out well enough in the story. To me, it seemed like Thea was just complaining about them most of the time.

Perhaps I am just old fashioned. But, I did not like how Thea intensely disliked the de
Barbara Rogers
Thea's sister is brutally murdered and Thea vows to find the murderer and see that he is punished. She believes that the murder had something to do with her sister's search for her birth mother. I have to say that I had the murderer figured out before the end of the story, but the mystery was still okay.

For me, it starts off sort of slow because it goes through all of Thea's family history before it really gets into the investigation and solution. This is actually a re-print of a novel from 199
M.A. Koontz
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the way Kate Flora steadily built suspense throughout this novel. It definitely kept me turning pages to see what was going to happen next — a great example of a book that is hard to put down.

I also appreciated Flora's female protagonist, especially how she created an imperfect character, one that could take charge without waiting for her knight in shining armor. Despite that, her character still had a vulnerability to her that softened her dynamic personality.

The main character
Michelle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a few of the books in this series and I’ve not been disappointed. This is no exception. I enjoyed seeing how Thea’s story began to know a lot more about what drives her and to see the beginning of her relationship with Andre. Terribly tragic Thea has lost her baby sister and embarks on a journey to find the culprit. The characters are well written and highly developed. The overall mystery is both engaging and suitably complex to keep you guessing til the end. Great start to the series ...more
Karen
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was OK for a first novel (first published in 1996, I think), with an OK plot, and characters who have room to develop. I didn't like Thea's family, which seemed to be dominated by the mother who made everyone's lives unpleasant if she was crossed in any way. Perhaps further books in the series allowed Thea to step back from the family expectations, but I'm not going to search the rest out. I'm sick of mysteries where the main character puts herself (I usually read books with female protagon ...more
Trimaze
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chosen For Death is the first book in the Thea Kozak Mystery Series and it seems to be a great start. It is well written and sets the stage for a thrilling mystery series.

There are many different elements to the story.... mystery, suspense, intrigue, romance and a complex family dynamic. The storyline held my interest. I throughly enjoyed the interaction between the characters and I am definitely looking forward to the continuation in the second book.

“ I received this book for free from eBook
Uwe
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
It might be just me, but I couldn't read this book to the end. I think I managed more than a third and couldn't see anything going on. I like to have it to the point or can see where the point may be ........with this story, the characters and how the detective handled the situation there is only one comment to make ....... boring ! I said, it might just be me ......
Sjervey
This is a first mystery and I found it awkward, There is a lot ging on psychologically but I always had the feeling that the introduction of various pieces was forced. Nevertheless, Thea Kozak is an engaging character and I wanted to follow her story to the end. I expect the series to improve.
Liz
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic Mystery

This book is very fast paced and interesting. The way Kate Flora handles her characters and really fleshes them out made them very real to me. The top quality of this book has me yearning to read more in this series. I feel I have been treated to a first rate mystery.
Barbara S. Collins
Good mystery

I was totally absorbed in this book. I would give this book five stars. I had not guessed the ending until the very end. Virgo
Rita
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was impressed with this book. It had mystery and suspense. It had just the right amount of romance too. The characters were great and interesting. The book was easy to read and very emotional. I felt the need to find my birth mother as the character in the book. I am now following this author.
Evonne Hutton
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A self centered family, a murdered sister and a widow, determined to find the killer!
Kate Flora weaved a remarkable tight story that will have you engrossed!
I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. This is my honest review.
Stephen Dorneman
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this, the first book in the Thea Kozak series, Flora spends much of her word count on Thea's relationship with men, with her family, and particularly with her late sister -- but it's these relationships that are the key to understanding and solving her sister's murder. Recommended.
Beverley Lombardi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I Found the subject matter disturbing.
T Olsen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good plot with mystery, thrills and great characters. The storytelling is the best, however. Easy to read and with a clear timeline.
Brittany
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a way to start the series! I’m so happy I got the chance to read this book. I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery. I am voluntarily posting this review. This is my honest review.
Libbrown
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thea Kozak series - long series, good read! Again, Portland, ME author writes of her locale.
Nyssy
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. ✍
EvaLynn Merrill
Kate flora is no Roberts it Coulter but is was ok. I wasn’t engrossed like the others but the book was entertaining as a biggie for me, I didn’t figure out the killer.
I will read more of her books and test them out. The storyline in this one was good. Crime mystery are my favorites so it’s hard to disappoint.
Byron Hill
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Book 1 of Kate Flora's ""Thea Kozak Series". Thea Kozak is a young widow, who is dealing with the unexpected death of a husband, but now finds that her younger sister has been murdered and the police don't seem to have any leads on who or why this happened. Thea knows that her sister was adopted and finds out that she was attempting to find her "birth" mother to the disappointment of her adopted parents. The story continues with Thea actually finding more evidence on the murder than the ...more
Michele bookloverforever
Liked it. Will read sequels.
Susan  Burgess-Ryan
This is my first book to read by Kate Flora. It isn’t the normal type of book that I read and even though it didn’t have shifters or motorcycle clubs, or bad boys, and explicitly described sex scenes, it was a good book. I have to say the book was slow to start, and I gave it till chapter 7 and then it took off like a rocket. I was engrossed in the book till I finished it, and I was impressed with her writing. The first six chapters were more or less a history of Thea and her family, and how she ...more
Connie Lazenby
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free in return for an unbiased review. I honestly loved it. Some drama, some mystery, some familial relationship issues, a small romantic interlude, all starting with the murder of a beloved sister.

It's well written, no editing issues, and the characters are fully fleshed out. You won't like them all, but murderers aren't always likeable, are they?

Heartily recommend this book. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
John Presler
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from bBook Discovery in exchange for an honest review.

At 5' 11", Thea Kozak is an unusually tall woman. She is also quite thin with very dark, curly hair. Actually, her entire family is tall and big-boned, with dark hair; except for her little sister, Carrie, who was adopted when Thea was 8 yrs old. Carrie is less than 5’ tall and has beautiful, curly, white-blond hair.

Thea truly loved taking care of her little sister. While they were growing up, Carrie came to Thea fo
Katherine Clark
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was reprinted by Jim Huang who was unhappy that the book was not reprinted. I've looked forward to reading it for years, and just finished it. It was OK. I was not particularly sympathetic to the either the victim or the protagonist (victim's sister). There was a lot of "i'm really tough" but I didn't really get to see that. I figured out who the killer was pretty well before the ending. I'm fine with that, but this was apparently a huge surprise to some of the critics. Oh well. There ...more
Terri
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Thea Kozak's sister is brutally murdered. And she thinks it has something to do with her sister's search for her biological parents only nobody else wants to explore that line. So she recreates her sister's search to find the truth.

I really enjoyed this book. Thea was a strong and interesting character. A self-described "fixer". Her sister's search for belonging was truly sad and her murder horrible.

The book also really makes you see all sides of the adoption privacy question and try and underst

• Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • Hit the Road Jack (Jack Ryder #1)
  • Dark Path (Bodhi King #1)
  • Say You Love Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #4)
  • Yesterday's Echo (Rick Cahill, #1)
  • Defending Dakota (Gold Coast Retrievers #13)
  • Spring's Promises
  • Have a Deadly New Year (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #3.5)
  • Hold Back the Night (A Detective McDaniel Thriller #1)
  • The Family Journal
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott, #2)
  • Cold Woods (Northampton County, #2)
  • Dead and Gone (Still Waters #3)
  • What You Did (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #2)
  • Luke (7 Brides for 7 Brothers, #1)
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #3)
  • Last Day
Kate Flora grew up on a chicken farm in Maine where the Friday afternoon trip to the library was the high point of her week. She dreamed of being able to create the kind of compelling, enchanting worlds of the books she disappeared into every week, but growing up in the era when “help wanted” ads were still sex-segregated, she felt her calling was to go to law school and get the job they told her ...more

Thea Kozak (9 books)
  • Death in a Funhouse Mirror (The Thea Kozak Mystery Series, Book 2)
  • Death at the Wheel (The Thea Kozak Mystery Series, Book 3)
  • An Educated Death (The Thea Kozak Mystery Series, Book 4)
  • Death in Paradise (Thea Kozak, #5)
  • Liberty or Death (Thea Kozak, #6)
  • Stalking Death (The Thea Kozak Mystery Series, Book 7)
  • Death Warmed Over (The Thea Kozak Mystery Series, Book 8)
  • Schooled in Death (Thea Kozak, #9)