Start by marking “Chosen for Death (Thea Kozak, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen for Death (Thea Kozak, #1)

Chosen for Death

(Thea Kozak #1)

Thea Kozak's younger sister is murdered, leaving Kozak wondering if her sister's adoption and search for her birth parents have something to do with her death. New paperback edition of the 1994 novel that introduced Kozak.
Published January 28th 2003 by THe Mystery Company An Imprint of the Crum Creek Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen for Death

Zane
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay

The book was not really the type of book you read for a clever whodunnit. It has all the usual action and cliches that are found in most mysteries.
Ruby Bibi
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Realistic characters and good mystery.

-Thea Kozak is a young and very capable woman, about 30 years old. She’s seen heartbreak, as her husband, whom she loved deeply, had passed away several years earlier in an accident after only two years of marriage, causing her to throw herself completely into work since then. After a series of different jobs, she ended up working for someone who was a consultant for higher schools of learning, and found that it fit her well.
-She was the eldest in her fami
Shirley Worley
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thea's younger sister is brutally murdered and the police have no suspects. During questioning, the detective on the case rubs Thea the wrong way, and her added grief doesn't help the situation. Thinking about why her sister moved out of state leads Thea to speculate that her sister was on a search for her birth parents, a task her adoptive parents refused to help with. Did something, or someone, turn up on that search that caused her to be in harm's way? Thea is determined to find out and begin ...more
Steve
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise appealed to me. A young woman is murdered and her sister, Thea, sets out to learn who did it. But, it did not live up to my expectations.

** SOME SPOILERS PRESENT BELOW **

The family of the dead girl took all of the fun out of dysfunctional. They each had issues and most of them were not fleshed out well enough in the story. To me, it seemed like Thea was just complaining about them most of the time.

Perhaps I am just old fashioned. But, I did not like how Thea intensely disliked the de
Barbara Rogers
Thea's sister is brutally murdered and Thea vows to find the murderer and see that he is punished. She believes that the murder had something to do with her sister's search for her birth mother. I have to say that I had the murderer figured out before the end of the story, but the mystery was still okay.

For me, it starts off sort of slow because it goes through all of Thea's family history before it really gets into the investigation and solution. This is actually a re-print of a novel from 199
Michelle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a few of the books in this series and I’ve not been disappointed. This is no exception. I enjoyed seeing how Thea’s story began to know a lot more about what drives her and to see the beginning of her relationship with Andre. Terribly tragic Thea has lost her baby sister and embarks on a journey to find the culprit. The characters are well written and highly developed. The overall mystery is both engaging and suitably complex to keep you guessing til the end. Great start to the series ...more
Karen Cleary
This was OK for a first novel (first published in 1996, I think), with an OK plot, and characters who have room to develop. I didn't like Thea's family, which seemed to be dominated by the mother who made everyone's lives unpleasant if she was crossed in any way. Perhaps further books in the series allowed Thea to step back from the family expectations, but I'm not going to search the rest out. I'm sick of mysteries where the main character puts herself (I usually read books with female protagon ...more
Trimaze
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chosen For Death is the first book in the Thea Kozak Mystery Series and it seems to be a great start. It is well written and sets the stage for a thrilling mystery series.

There are many different elements to the story.... mystery, suspense, intrigue, romance and a complex family dynamic. The storyline held my interest. I throughly enjoyed the interaction between the characters and I am definitely looking forward to the continuation in the second book.

“ I received this book for free from eBook
Ellen White
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
CHOSEN FOR DEATH. by Kate Flora. Book 1 in "Thea Kozaj series
Carrie, wa adopted, never felt like part of this family, that was never quiet. The family was waiting for Thea to come, she would handle everything. Todd, and others ask why did she go to Maie, it was to find who she was, not to get murder.
Sjervey
This is a first mystery and I found it awkward, There is a lot ging on psychologically but I always had the feeling that the introduction of various pieces was forced. Nevertheless, Thea Kozak is an engaging character and I wanted to follow her story to the end. I expect the series to improve.
Uwe
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
It might be just me, but I couldn't read this book to the end. I think I managed more than a third and couldn't see anything going on. I like to have it to the point or can see where the point may be ........with this story, the characters and how the detective handled the situation there is only one comment to make ....... boring ! I said, it might just be me ......
Barbara S. Collins
Good mystery

I was totally absorbed in this book. I would give this book five stars. I had not guessed the ending until the very end. Virgo
Rita
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was impressed with this book. It had mystery and suspense. It had just the right amount of romance too. The characters were great and interesting. The book was easy to read and very emotional. I felt the need to find my birth mother as the character in the book. I am now following this author.
Evonne Hutton
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A self centered family, a murdered sister and a widow, determined to find the killer!
Kate Flora weaved a remarkable tight story that will have you engrossed!
I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. This is my honest review.
Brittany
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a way to start the series! I’m so happy I got the chance to read this book. I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery. I am voluntarily posting this review. This is my honest review.
T Olsen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good plot with mystery, thrills and great characters. The storytelling is the best, however. Easy to read and with a clear timeline.
Beverley Lombardi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I Found the subject matter disturbing.
Michele bookloverforever
Liked it. Will read sequels.
Susan  Burgess-Ryan
This is my first book to read by Kate Flora. It isn’t the normal type of book that I read and even though it didn’t have shifters or motorcycle clubs, or bad boys, and explicitly described sex scenes, it was a good book. I have to say the book was slow to start, and I gave it till chapter 7 and then it took off like a rocket. I was engrossed in the book till I finished it, and I was impressed with her writing. The first six chapters were more or less a history of Thea and her family, and how she ...more
Connie Lazenby
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free in return for an unbiased review. I honestly loved it. Some drama, some mystery, some familial relationship issues, a small romantic interlude, all starting with the murder of a beloved sister.

It's well written, no editing issues, and the characters are fully fleshed out. You won't like them all, but murderers aren't always likeable, are they?

Heartily recommend this book. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
John Presler
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from bBook Discovery in exchange for an honest review.

At 5' 11", Thea Kozak is an unusually tall woman. She is also quite thin with very dark, curly hair. Actually, her entire family is tall and big-boned, with dark hair; except for her little sister, Carrie, who was adopted when Thea was 8 yrs old. Carrie is less than 5’ tall and has beautiful, curly, white-blond hair.

Thea truly loved taking care of her little sister. While they were growing up, Carrie came to Thea fo
Katherine Clark
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was reprinted by Jim Huang who was unhappy that the book was not reprinted. I've looked forward to reading it for years, and just finished it. It was OK. I was not particularly sympathetic to the either the victim or the protagonist (victim's sister). There was a lot of "i'm really tough" but I didn't really get to see that. I figured out who the killer was pretty well before the ending. I'm fine with that, but this was apparently a huge surprise to some of the critics. Oh well. There ...more
Terri
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Thea Kozak's sister is brutally murdered. And she thinks it has something to do with her sister's search for her biological parents only nobody else wants to explore that line. So she recreates her sister's search to find the truth.

I really enjoyed this book. Thea was a strong and interesting character. A self-described "fixer". Her sister's search for belonging was truly sad and her murder horrible.

The book also really makes you see all sides of the adoption privacy question and try and underst
Jane Irish Nelson
The death of her adopted sister, Carrie, brings Thea out of the cocoon in which she has enveloped herself since her husband's death. But Carrie's death is different; it wasn't an accident, it was murder. And Thea can't help but wonder if it was somehow related to Carrie's search for her biological parents, a search Thea's parents refused to support. So when Thea decides to retrace Carrie's path, her parents are adamantly opposed. However, she persists, despite the danger she finds herself in, as ...more
Peggy
Jul 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this mystery because the author, Kate Flora, will be a presenter at a conference I'll be attending in August. The book was pretty predictable: grizzly murder, a young woman who falls into the position of free-lance detective, and a budding romance with a state trooper assigned to the case. I think this was Flora's first book. I'll read the next in the series to see how she develops as writer.
Melissa Borsey
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery in exchange for my honest review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I really liked Thea, the strong, dependable, feisty, and vulnerable main character who is on the hunt for whoever murdered her younger sister. Add in a good-looking, strong police officer and you've got one good romantic mystery. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading more by this author.
Mary
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful first effort. I really like the way she fleshes out the heroine. Thea is funny, erasable and conflicted. Totally relatable!

The plot leaves a little to be desired as is a little too simplistic. That said, I think Thea deserves more exploration with more and better story lines. This should be a great series!
Andy Plonka
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that it is a little dated (all the heroine's research was done in the library and the county courthouse), and the plot a bit predictable, the characters are well drawn, make believable mistakes, and drugs are not a major factor.
Carol
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real mystery, that I had no idea of who did it til very near the end.

Looking forward to reading more by this author. Style of writing is simple, but the story was very good, kept me reading to the end. Sometimes I peek, but did not on this one.

Diane Perry
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from eBook Discovery in exchange for an honest review. This is a very good suspense story. Thea was a solid character and I really enjoyed watching Carrie's story unravel. There is also a mix of romance thrown in. Very well done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sisters in Crime 2 (Sisters in Crime, #2)
  • Racing the Devil
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Bubba Done It (Dreamwalker, #2)
  • Kilt Dead (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries, #1)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Sweet Little Lies
  • A Dram of Poison
  • The Marathon Conspiracy (The Athenian Mysteries, #4)
  • The Marble Mask (Joe Gunther #11)
  • Trace Evidence (Evelyn James #1)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • A Done Deal (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #5)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)
Kate Flora grew up on a chicken farm in Maine where the Friday afternoon trip to the library was the high point of her week. She dreamed of being able to create the kind of compelling, enchanting worlds of the books she disappeared into every week, but growing up in the era when “help wanted” ads were still sex-segregated, she felt her calling was to go to law school and get the job they told her ...more

Thea Kozak (8 books)
  • Death in a Funhouse Mirror (Thea Kozak, #2)
  • Death at the Wheel (Thea Kozak, #3)
  • An Educated Death (Thea Kozak, #4)
  • Death in Paradise (Thea Kozak, #5)
  • Liberty or Death (Thea Kozak, #6)
  • Stalking Death (Thea Kozak, #7)
  • Death Warmed Over (Thea Kozak, #8)