Start by marking “Morning by Morning: How We Home-Schooled Our African-American Sons to the Ivy League” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Home schooling has long been regarded as a last resort, particularly by African-American families. But in this inspirational and practical memoir, Paula Penn-Nabrit shares her intimate experiences of home-schooling her three sons, Charles, Damon, and Evan. Paula and her husband, C. Madison, decided to home-school their children after racial incidents at public and private ...more
Published February 18th 2003 by Villard (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Morning by Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning by Morning

Angie Libert
Overall the book was disappointing. With a title of "Morning by Morning", I was expecting this book to be more about their day to day habits that helped them to succeed as a homeschooling family. It was not.

The insights into the challenges of being a black family was interesting. I find it shocking that people still experience various forms of racism.

Fortunately, I was able to pull out a couple useful tips to apply to our homeschool. Her ideas about tutors and studying current events were valua
Kim Berkey
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a *wonderful* resource at this (admittedly early) stage in my homeschool research. Above all else, I valued Paula's deliberation at every step of the way. This is a woman who began with specific goals in mind, and very deliberately tailored her sons' homeschool experience to fit those goals.

It was also refreshing to hear someone express that not all homeschool mothers are "all sweetness and light." This book presents homeschooling much more realistically than other books I've
Larisha
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paula writes like she is sitting down next to you over a cup of tea and sharing the things she did right and the things she could have done differently in her home school journey from elementary school years - college. This is a great book to refer back to again and again!
Nichelle
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone raising an African American son in America
Recommended to Nichelle by: Library
This is one family's struggle to obtain an above average education for their three highly intelligent African American sons in America. I was impressed and encouraged by their desparate struggle. I also enjoyed a few laughs as well.
Shurronne
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No hands barred truth of what it takes to lovingly, and with deliberate but delicate,surgical hands, educate one's children.
SunnyD
re-reading/skimming. good stuff in here.
Meredith Henning
You know, this one was just okay. Sadly it didn't pan out like I wished it had, but overall interesting reading about their journey and experience with their sons. Just didn't grab me.
Aug 14, 2009
Mar 11, 2013
Robin R.
Mar 16, 2015
Janice
rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2013