Start by marking “In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Does your child have a favorite subject, activity, or hobby? Children learn in multiple ways, and educator Thomas Armstrong has shown hundreds of thousands of parents and teachers how to locate those unique areas in each of our children where learning and creativity seem to flow with special vigor. In this fully updated classic on multiple intelligences, Armstrong sheds ne ...more
Published August 7th 2000 by TarcherPerigee (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about In Their Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Their Own Way

Karen
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: piano-methods
The general premise of this book is good. But it was EXTREMELY long winded! A little 20 page report of the highlights would have been sufficient rather than almost 300 pages of blah blah blah repetitiveness. I ended up just skimming and skipping a lot at the end. There is also a lot of negativity about the teaching system too. I prefer not to read negativity. Instead teach me skills to make things positive.

What I liked:
Kids learn in different ways, some ways better than others. (Adults too!) Som
Amanda
I skimmed over much of this book but came away with some really great ideas.
Cori Cover
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for helping parents discover and encourage their children's multiple intelligences.
Jackie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adhd
Among other things, this was a great reminder that it is unlikely my son's brain works the same way mine does.
Amanda
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had some great ideas about teaching kids with various learning types.
Patrizia
We recently took on home educating our boys and I decided to read this book in an attempt to help me find ways to help our "struggling learner" to reach his full potential. I also needed to find ways to help restore their ���natural love for learning'���
It had me hooked from the first chapter & I���ve just finished it. 294 pages in 1 day, a new personal record for me. WOW, what an amazing source of useful information. It has helped me ���see��� why the system has failed our sons so miserably
Katherine
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. The author makes a case that many of the children who have been diagnosed as learning disabled really have much to offer and have been unfairly characterized because of the way government schools function. While I think there is a lot to this assertion, I was really hoping to learn more about the theory of multiple intelligences and how it could apply to our children. I'll probably need to read more on this topic in other books. Also, I disagree with the import of the quotes below; I see th ...more
Jair Jimenez
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El autor hace una extensión de las ideas tan boga hoy en día sobre las inteligencias múltiples aplicadas al proceso de aprendizaje de los niños haciendo un valioso aporte. Solo por mencionarlas, toda persona tiene inteligencia lógica, lingüística, kinestesica (aprende con el cuerpo, con su movimiento), musical, naturalista, espacial, introspectiva y social. En algunas escuelas y sociedades se presta atención únicamente a las 2 primeras con lo cual hay una parte de las inteligencias que no se for ...more
Christina
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-christina
This book describes eight different types of intelligence, which everyone has but in different amounts. This is organized like a resource book, which is not exactly what I need right now so I ended up skimming huge sections.

I would recommend this book for parents whose children are having trouble fitting into mainstream school, and may have been been possibly hinted at having learning disabilities (which they may or may not really have). ADHD is mentioned frequently in this book since that seem
Misty
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Great book! I believe every parent, teacher, administrator, and policymaker should read this book. Armstrong makes a strong case for the crippling nature of public (and many private) schools, suggesting that schools are setup for only one or two of the seven types of intelligence - linguistic and logical-mathematical. The other students either find a way to cope or fake their way through, while the others are failed completely. The author attempts to elevate the status of the other five intellig ...more
Michael
Mar 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this indictment of the current state of education ("the worksheet wasteland"), Armstrong uses Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences to discuss a new blueprint for helping all our children learn. He is particularly thought-provoking in coming up with ways to help those who are strong in "bodily-kinesthetic" intelligence.

The chapter about "honoring your child's learning rate" was was reassuring to me as I have children going at their own pace in math and reading respectively and was
R.A. White
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not going to employ my usual review system, since this is non-fiction, but I’ll say that I got a lot out of this book and have been able to make practical application. I’ll probably read it again in a year or so. I think it’s a good idea for parents and teachers to read it, even if their kids aren’t having trouble in school. It could only help. There were some things in it that I don’t think I really agree with, but they’re still worth considering.
Sheila Thoburn
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Easy read, easy to understand, helpful. Encourages not focusing on one method of teaching your child and not labeling children as either learning disabled or gifted as both limit and cause stereotyping.

Great tips on how to incorporate various types of learning into any subject. Also has a plethora of resource lists. Extremely helpful in reminding of what teaching is and looking at the individual but not so much that it wouldn't work for a typical classroom as well.
Gitta
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every parents
Shelves: indonesian
Buku ini very-very recommended buat para orangtua agar kita bisa menilai anak2 kita dengan lebih jernih dan fair. Sekolah bukanlah segalanya. Tugas kitalah sebagai orangtua dan pendidik untuk menemukan cara belajar yg fun bagi si anak sesuai dengan minatnya. Diharapkan si anak ke depannya akan menjadi anak yg lebih mudah memahami pelajaran, periang dan percaya diri. Saya rasa prinsip inilah yg diterapkan oleh kepseknya Totto-chan.
Sasha
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another learning style book, but one with lots of compelling research and proof--especially of the disservice of public schools and formal testing. Emphasizes really knowing each child and embracing their uniqueness. Lots of practical applications for the different learning styles (i.e. "multiplication the linguistic way," "multiplication the spatial way," etc.) There's a section, "How to Teach Anything 7 Different Ways."
Summer Smith
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although it would be considered somewhat outdated by many educators, it makes perfect sense and I have seen this with my own eyes from my child who isn't given the ability to work to her style because schools are so focused on testing and have lost all sight of creativity. Sadly, it isn't even so much all teachers, but more the school districts themselves. Kind of sad.
Angie
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Maybe a 2.5. I was interested in the different ways to educate a child...beyond what is normally taught in school. I've used a few techniques with my kids and liked them.

I didn't like how the guy bashed the public school system to the point that he seemed like he just had to vent his personal frustrations through a book. Save that stuff for a journal.
Suzanne Vincent
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me not only understand the needs of my own child, but helped me better understand how to reach my piano students individually. I teach each child differently, because each child IS different.
Mel
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Eight intelligences that we all have, but in different ratios. When a child, (most likely a boy) is labeled ADD/ADHD, chances are he has a lot of bodily/kinesthetic learning.
There are suggestions for games, software, and supplies for each lesson as well as further reading.
Bliss
This book confirms all I've begun to believe about children and the standard American educational system.

It is a must read for every parent who takes an interest in their child's education.
saudarilee
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must have in every parent's library. Extremely helpful for me to recognise each child's 'intelligence' and extend their learning according to their strength.
Melissa Frentsos
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a secular book but it made a lot of good points about seeing your children as individuals and how they learn in different ways rather than one size fits all methods often used in schools.
Summer
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for parents and teachers.
Alvina
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bacaan suplemen buat para orang tua agar tidak mendoktrin anak dengan kalimat kalimat penghinaan "kamu bodoh!". Karena semua anak itu Cerdas. :)
Alicia
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it. classic learning book that is still relevant today. get for your library if you want to be involved in kids learning
Amy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Always good to remind oneself and be inspired to honor your own kid's way! The book could stand an update re: resource section at the end but it was still helpful!
Dorothy LaBar
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Because it showed me how to understand my child's personality and thus method of learning, it has saved me years of frustration. This book is absolutely priceless!
Niena Rachmaliah
everyone is smart
Melanie
Aug 02, 2012
Emily
Jan 29, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success
  • Learning All The Time
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion
  • The Way They Learn
  • Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons in Theory and Practice
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Free to Learn: Five Ideas for a Joyful Unschooling Life
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives
  • Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
Thomas Armstrong, Ph.D. is the author of sixteen books including his latest, The Power of the Adolescent Brain: Strategies for Teaching Middle and High School Students.

His other books include, Neurodiversity in the Classroom: Strategies to Help Students with Special Needs Succeed in School and Life, The Power of Neurodiversity: Unleashing the Advantages of Your Differently Wired Brain, The Human
More about Thomas Armstrong...