Start by marking “In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)

In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  819 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews

The battle against goblinkind continues . . . but which side will Teagan be on?

Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have made it out of Mag Mell alive, but the Dark Man’s forces are hot on their heels. Back in Chicago, Tea’s goblin cousins show up at her school, sure she will come back to Mag Mell, as goblin blood is never passive once awoken. Soon she will belong to Fear Doirich and
Published November 22nd 2011 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Forests of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Forests of the Night

Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
732 books — 3,136 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,156 books — 7,122 voters

More lists with this book...

Crowinator
Mr. Wylltson, the booknerd, gentle dad-brairian, wins the Best Dad of YA Paranormal Fiction Award for counseling his love-struck teenage daughter Tea this way:

"Tea, I know you think you love Finn, and he thinks he loves you. But love is something that grows. You've really only known each other for a few weeks. He's a fine young man, and very serious about this. But walk together a little longer before you decide about marriage....

"If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyw
Ambur
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
To say that I was excited for In the Forests of the Night is a severe understatement...I have been anxiously awaiting this book since the moment I finished...no, maybe the moment I started Tyger Tyger...yup, I love this series that much. As soon as I start one I'm anxious for more...and more. I've got a pretty big To-read pile, so I haven't taken much time to reread a story in a while, but I made an exception for this series. I didn't want to start In the Forests of the Night without remembering ...more
Meg Wilson
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Set your sails upon the mighty winds of May…Set your sails upon the hope of June”…
When Aiden sang this song for Teagan I got goosebumps and shivers. And I kicked my feet and giggled when Teagan and Finn… well, you’ll have to wait and read it for yourself.

When you reach the last line on the last page you'll shout inarticulately and throw the book from you, but you'll be smiling because you can still feel the hum of the story.

And when you put the book on the shelf… you'll thank goodness there’s
Jessica
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's not the fastest paced tale out there, but there are so many things I enjoyed about this book that spending the first two-thirds on the set-up was totally ok with me.

What I liked:

1) the humor
Was the first book this funny? I think I need to re-read it, because I laughed lot in this one.

"I'm a librarian," Mr. Wylltson said. "We practice believing six impossible things before breakfast."
"Like rabbits with pocket watches?"
"Like library funding will be available next year."

2) the character rela
Esther Jackson
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic book. Usually when you read a second book in a series it has to much information or is boring. This one has just the right amount of excitement and material. After reading you just want to pick up the last and final book. I love the writing, characters, and plot. Every intriguing part makes you curl up and read without a thought in the real world. Kirsten Hamilton did it again, making you grow weak in your knees for these unbelievably amazing books.
Jackie
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy, YA romance fans who enjoy series reading.
Book Synopsis

Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have rescued Tea's and Aiden's father and have made it out of Mag Mell alive, bringing a few new friends with them. But The Dark Man's forces are hot on their heels. Back in Chicago, Teagan soon realizes that she is not the target of the goblins. In fact, the goblins call her princess, and call her to come out and play. Something is happening to her, and she suspects it’s an infection she picked up in Mag Mell. An infected cat-sídhe becomes her test subjec
Nafiza
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
The only complaint I had with Tyger, Tyger was that it ended too soon. So when I got a chance to review In the Forests of the Night, I pounced on it like a cat sighting catnip. Before I begin my review,let's talk about the the title. If you're not familiar with the poem, the titles of the series come from the famous poem by William Blake (reproduced below for your benefit):

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In wha
Judith
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the Forest of the Night, book 2 of the Goblin Wars, is just as exciting and fun to read as the first book, Tyger, Tyger. Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have rescued Tea's and Aiden's father and have made it out of Mag Mell alive, but things are not good. Teagan's dad is in bad shape and has lost his memory and the Dark Man's forces are after them. Back in Chicago, Teagan soon realizes that something is happening to her, there is a disease that’s destroying her real self, what makes her the human Tea ...more
Melissa Hayden
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
more of 3.5 stars

Teagan is upset with what she learned of her mothers family (in Tyger Tyger) and what it might mean to her and Finn. When Finn comes to talk to her and reassure her things get crazy quickly in the full house of the Wylltsons'. Thomas starts sprouting feathers and cat-sidhe appear. The cat-sidhe want Aiden. As Fear Doirich wants Aiden. Mamieo doesn't like Thomas because he's a highborn, Roisin (Teagan's Aunt) is mad at her love, her father is still trying to get his memories back
Grace
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is very rare for me. I don't usually enjoy the second book more than the first. In fact, if it weren't for a few disagreements on some small things, I'd give this five stars instead of four!

The plot picks up from where the first book left up. While I do think it took a while for things to actually get rolling, we do get more history of everything and a new character. Something happens to Tea that makes things a lot more complicated as a normal (Highborn) girl and as Finn's… whatever heart.
Julia
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: dropbox
Kersten Hamilton does a wonderful job picking up the threads from book one and weaving them seamlessly into IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT. Her ability to drop information unobtrusively into the narrative was important, as her cast of characters is large and complex, and getting reacquainted took a few chapters.

That getting to know you process is rewarding, however, as Teagan and her friends deal with the frenetic aftermath of their trip to the faerie realms. admit, I was overwhelmed for the first
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Kersten Hamilton does a wonderful job picking up the threads from the first Goblin Wars book and weaving them seamlessly into IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT. Her ability to drop information unobtrusively into the narrative was important, as it took me a few chapters to get reacquainted with the large cast of characters.

That getting to know you process is rewarding, however, as Teagan and her friends deal with the frenetic aftermath of their trip to Mag Mel
Rebecca
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Teagan and Finn are back in book two of this series. I really enjoyed Tyger Tyger and could not wait for the next book in the series. Needless to say In the Forests of the Night did not disappoint. It was so amazing and just as good if not better than the first book.

I really feel like In the Forests of The Night has an addictive quality about it. I started reading it and when in no time 100 pages had flown by. I'm usually a slow reader so when I can just fly through a book it is generally a sign
Brenda
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I really enjoyed Tyger Tyger and was excited to get to In the Forests of the Night. I wasn't disappointed, and while I think I prefer the first book, the writing in this one was every bit as good. Kersten Hamilton has a knack for writing a story that flows. It's easy to get caught up in her world and want to stay there until the very last page.

My biggest beef with the book was that they didn't get to Mag Mell until over halfway into the book, and that's the most interesting aspect to the story f
A.
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will let the following excerpt show why I love this book so much:

"Why don't you go right down and kill the creature now?"

"I couldn't do it now, and you well know it. Not after I have seen that he loves the girl as strong and right as I loved my Rory."

"Would you have killed him the day he lied to Roisin, before his love grew strong and right?"

"I don't think I would. Not if I knew what was growing in him"

"Then how about the day before he met the girl? Before he ever loved at all?"

This book dealt
William Heron
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was very happy to get my hands on an ARC of 'In the Forests of the Night'. I loved 'Tyger Tyger', so I was really looking forward to the next in the series. I wasn't disappointed.

'In the Forests of the Night' has the same flavor and feel of the first book. The characters are just as interesting, the story moves at a great pace, and there are new creatures and happenings in Mag Mell that we haven't seen before. It was a bit darker than 'Tyger Tyger', but in a necessary way.

Can't wait for numb
Virna
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the story and characters, this was good.
Sara
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the Forests of the Night is the second book in the Goblin Wars trilogy by Kersten Hamilton. While it was still intriguing and kept me entertained throughout, I think I liked the first book better.

The story continues where Tyger Tyger ended. The author put the last few pages of the first book in the prologue to remind you what happened. I thought this was a smart way to recap what happened in the first book. Usually authors weave the recap into the first chapter or two of the next book, along
Roxane
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As always when continuing a series you particularly enjoyed, there's always a strange mix of excitement and apprehension. What if the sequels don't live up to the first book? Well, there's no point in maintaining any melodramatic suspens here, I loved the second book as much as I loved the first though these are two very different books.

In the Forest of the Night picks up right where we left Teagan, Aidan and Finn. It seems somewhat surreal that after journeying and surviving Mag Mell, Teagan an
Katharine_Ann
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
"In The Forests of the Night" is the sequel to "Tyger Tyger" which I read last month. And good news! This book doesn’t start with ape poop! Bad news: it starts with pus that comes out of a sore on a cat’s stomach. Which Teagan then touches and analyses. I don’t know, is it a thing to start a book with something gross as a hook? If it is…I don’t like it.

I had mentioned in my review of "Tyger Tyger" that it took the book a while to get to the good parts, but that the end of the book was really goo
Har.the.rat.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF
Christine
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, own-it, galley
One of the better second books I've read this year. While there wasn't anything fantabulous or edge-of-your-seat about it, I found it to still be a good, fun and fast read, much like the first book.

WARNING: This review does contain spoilers for Tyger, Tyger, the first book in the Goblin Wars series, so if you would like to enter the giveaway and haven’t read Tyger, Tyger, then scroll down to the end.

Whatchyareading

Caitlin: In the Forests of the Nightmay look short, but a lot happened to Teagan, Finn, and Aiden. It starts off with everyone, and I mean everyone, living in the same house. The characters have to deal with the usual problems of living in a crowded house. A man turning into a raven just as a s
Eve
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm pleased to report that the elements which made Tyger Tyger a wonderful fantasy novel re-appear in the second of the Goblin Wars trilogy by Kersten Hamilton, In the Forests of the Night.

My favorite character, then as now, the cute-as-a-button five-year-old Aiden, is even more endearing. Mamieo is still a feisty firecracker of a grandmother. Although Mr. Wylltson has got to have the best line in the novel: "'I'm a librarian...We practice believing seven impossible things before breakfast.'"

Mu
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick and Dirty: Teagan tries to overcome her goblin nature while coping with school, other kidnapping goblins, and a Irish boy whose duty is to fight goblins.

Opening Sentence: Teagan Wylltson blinked and tried to focus on her five-year-old brother, Aiden.

The Review:

The book picks up right where the first book left off with Finn and Teagan talking on the roof. The gang has gone and come back from Mag Mell (goblin realm) and now they have to deal with the after
Kyleigh
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
So that synopsis is a little off. First off not one goblin calls Teagan "Princess". Second, she doesn't pick up anything from Mag Mell, someone GIVES her it more than halfway through the book. And then Kyle doesn't show up till over half way through either. Sorry, I just had to clear that up. I read the synopsis and kinda just went "that is not how it happened." Now that that's settled...

I absolutely loved this! It has been ages since I read Tyger Tyger and I really just forgot how laugh out lou
Storm Reads
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book starts up pretty much where Tyger, Tyger left off, Teagan must deal with the knowledge of her bloodline. She is determined to keep her family and friends safe at all cost. Just as things seemed to be back to as normal as it can be for the Wylltson family. It's not like every family has a nasty little Maggot Cat following them around.

Then one day Teagan's cousin shows up (a highborn sidhe) and does something to alter Teagan's DNA, trying to turn her more in to what he is. Kyle is trying
Jessica
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Tyger, Tyger (review here) back when I first started this blog. Kersten Hamilton approached me to review her book and I was swept away into a world that I really really didn't want to come back from.

Time went by, and I patiently waited to hear news about the second book so I could have more Teagan, Finn and Aiden in my life. Imagine my excitement when I opened a mysterious package, only to find that In the Forests of the Night was sent to me to review! I won't lie, I did a ha
Finn and Tegan 1 14 Sep 11, 2014 06:27PM
I'm Put-Off By... 3 21 Feb 27, 2012 02:57PM
Book Haven: Win a signed copy of Kersten Hamilton's second book! 2 8 Nov 16, 2011 10:42PM
Book Giveaways: Win a signed copy of Kersten Hamilton's second book! 1 4 Nov 16, 2011 08:47PM
Free Books, .99 &...: In The Forest of the Night book 2 of The Goblin Wars preorder giveaway 1 5 Oct 04, 2011 06:42PM
  • Soul in Love
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Dayling
  • Killian (Avalon, #1)
  • First Light (Forever After, #1)
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • The Broken Lands
  • Shadow of Flame (Dragonsworn, #2)
  • Flaming Dove
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Enchanted Darkly
  • The White Assassin (Nightshade Chronicles, #2)
  • Griffin Rising (Griffin, #1)
  • Extinction Event (Primeval, #7)
  • Catalina
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)

Goblin Wars (3 books)
  • Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars, #1)
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“ You don't like me talking to other girls?"

"I don't like you grinning at them."Teagan admitted

"Then tame me with your fine Irish eyes, girl."

"Humph."

"You have nothing to worry about. You've had my heart since..."

"When?"

"I was just trying to sort it, " Fin said. "It could have been the time you explained how its cockles were related to a shellfish." he paused. "No, it was when you flat refused to kiss me-- and me thinking I'd never see you agina, risking my kife to lead the goblins away into the night. It was heroic. And sad."

Teagan punched his arm.

"All right." He smiled. "It was the first time I set eyes on you. My heart stopped beating, and that's a fact."

"I know," Teagan said. "The first time I met you, it made me throw up."

Finn knit his brows. "I'll never get over how romantic you are. It's like you've stepped right out of one of those fairy movies Aiden's making Roisin watch.”
14 likes
“Finn Mac Cumhaill," Teagan said, "I do love you."
"I'm taking this to mean we're not broken up, then. It was the fever speaking."
"No. It wasn't the fever. You want forever, and...I can't promise I won't change even more. But I'm going to take care of Fear Doirich before I do." She turned and started walking toward the old willow.
"Saying 'I love you' is no way to break up with a man!" Finn yelled behind her.”
10 likes