Start by marking “Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales” as Want to Read:
Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales

Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Stories for children aged 6 and up that are inspired by Chinese folklore, tales of the Christian saints, and moments from the life of Buddha, all focused on living harmoniously with the animal world.
Published March 1st 2004 by Tricycle Press (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Animalia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animalia

Carol
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, now sadly out of print. Barbara Helen Berger has a real gift for portraying the power of animals in human life. One of my favorite children's picture books is her magnificent The Donkey's Dream, the nativity story told from the perspective of the donkey who carries Mary to the manger for the holy birth. This book of 13 vignettes is quietly magnificent. Berger uses tales of the Western saints with Chinese stories and legends of the Buddha's life in design much like medie ...more
Alexandra Chauran
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book really means small tales! The short stories are a paragraph or two of a snapshot of a moment in history or myth. The artwork was lovely, and they all wove together well. My three year old devoured this book with me in one sitting. My only complaint is that the decorative font had kerning which made this book difficult for me to read, and I did so haltingly while reading aloud.
Stina
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2012
Book #48 of 2012

It's a bit of a stretch to call these "tales," as each one is a mere paragraph or two long. Taken as what they are, though, they are quite interesting, and the illuminations and illustrations are simply gorgeous. This would make a wonderful addition to any child's library.
Ariel
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming and beautiful, what I loved most about this were the lovely and vibrant illustrations, though the sage tone of the fables was comforting as well.
Polly
A beautiful collection of 1-2 page stories of saints and wise persons from many cultures who helped animals. The illustrations alone are absolutely breathtaking.
Jo
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a childhood favorite of mine. The illustrations are gorgeous and the stories are full of substance and lessons about ecology.
Maura
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book as a child. Short stories with beautiful morals, animals in each, and lovely illustrations to go with them.
RumBelle
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I owned this book as a child, but recently got it out with the idea of adapting some of the stories into short plays. Re-reading it was like a trip down memory lane. One of my particular favorites was Sister Hare. These are gentle tales, with a touch of fantasy mixed in.
Alicia
Jan 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-stories
This might be good for my neice and nephew.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo
More about Barbara Helen Berger...