Start by marking “Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)

Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom #1)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  736 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Twelve stories centering on the adventures of two orphaned brothers who escape a polluted city ruled by an evil enchanter to seek their exiled king in the place where trees grow.
Hardcover
Published July 1st 1983 by Chariot Victor Publishing (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Kingdom

Erin
These classic allegorical tales are ones I grew up reading, and they continue to be meaningful to me now as an adult and someone who can share them with the children around me. I have just taken my Wed. night Bible class of 1st - 3rd graders through this book and they all became fans. It is easy to draw out Biblical truths from each chapter that can be applied for young ones and grown ups alike!

The 12 chapters tell the story of Hero, a young man who escaped with his brother from the wicked Encha
Hannah
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian families
I just finish my sixth or seventh read of this book (most of them having been five or more years ago), this time having read it with my 6-yr-old brother, and we both felt sad while reading the last chapter because we were almost done.
While I have appreciated the stories contained in this family book more each time I have perused them, this read (slower, because of reading it aloud) has shown me a whole new depth to the book.

Though not strict allegory, the stories in here reflect our lives as be
Angela
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hits home. It makes you realize that you are special in the Kings eyes. There is a story about a girl who dances too much who is led by an image in the mirror. This hit home to me because I used to be as good as the people in the excersize movies. But after breaking away from this I danced before the Lord.

It brings tears to my friends eyes who see that their lives involve in this book.

It is fictional but thats alright.
I love the pictures along the sides are frames made of the story art
Heather
I stopped short of reading the last couple of stories in this book. It was recommended to me by a co-worker who really enjoyed the series when she was younger. It's a book of tales about Scarboy, later called Hero, who escapes from the Enchanted City into the woods outside, a place called Great Park ruled by the King. There he meets various friends of the King like Mercie, Princess Amanda, and the blue-clothed Rangers.

Although I liked a few of the stories, such as the one about the juggler who w
Karen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
Started reading during morning time..krb 6/1/16
Jacob loves this book and always asks me to read another story from it!..krb 6/17/16

The kids both said a resounding yes when asked if they would like to start the 2nd book in this series during morning time..krb 7/1/16
Reese Austin
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Beautifully illustrated and well written for a children's book. Will capture any audience.
Lana Shaw
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows they are a Prince or Princess of a Mighty & Good King
I love this series by David and Karen Mains. The tales in this one captured my heart.
Esther
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Love love love it, must read it to your kids over and over.
Stephani Austin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this allegorical children's story. However, my husband and I are enjoying them, since my son is only 7 months. Inspiration, encouragement, and challenge lie inside as well as great reminders of who we are, who we serve, and how things are going in the world. Not expensive on Kindle...definitely recommend!!!
Sarah Middlestead
I read this book aloud to my children (11, 9, and 4) and it was spellbinding for us all. The allegorical tales were poignant and beautiful, with the chapter entitled “Princess Amanda and the Dragon” being particularly powerful. We will be reading this again and again for years to come.
Jennifer Johnson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is my favorite of all time and helped fuel my love of allegories! It is the kind of book that has depth that sticks to you long after reading it. -Jennifer K Johnson(The Dark Mountain Chronicles-The House of Envy)
Danelle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom read them to me and I just LOVED them!
Emily
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A favorite childhood book, still deeply meaningful, even apart from the nostalgia.
Stephanie Waterhouse
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read book #2 before this one in the trilogy. I thought I would have an advantage...but no I didn't.

This allegory is very touching. The introduction to the characters of the Trilogy is breathtaking. So much similarity in these characters and the lives of the real world is so astonishing. [I know it's an allegory, but done so well. I believed them to be true]

There are twelve stories in this tale. Each ending with some moral truth. Could these be stages one goes through in this adventure called l
Bethany Joy
This book and its sequel Tales of the Resistance were among my very favorites in childhood. They recently re-published them with a new illustrator, and destroyed half the charm, as the original illustrations were true works of art. The stories themselves are wonderful - fantasy stories of characters who live fully (which is why cartoony illustrations are such a disservice) , but biting to the heart with truths about my own life seeking the King.

My most recent "read" was from the old, old, audio
Lydia Presley
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is hard to describe. I've heard it read out loud so many times I almost know the story by heart, and it never fails to fascinate me.

I read a lot of young adult and cihldren's novels. I read quite a bit by myself, and even more out loud to my niece and nephew. I cannot wait to read this book to them.

The message is so beautiful it touched me as a child (I can even remember crying I was so overcome), and to this day it continues to speak to me. If your children enjoy the Chronicles of Nar
Jana Eads
I read this aloud to my four children (11, 9, 4, and 2) and will definitely be reading it again and again in years to come! A lot of these stories really got me choked up, challenged me, and helped us see some things in a new beautiful way. The authors have a deep understanding of the Christian life and incredible imaginations. The lessons learned have come up repeatedly in conversation with my older two since reading this together, and I look forward to exposing these stories to my younger kids ...more
Amy Wykes
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love these books. I have all three and they are signed by the author. My kids have really enjoyed the stories and I have enjoyed discussing the meaning behind the stories with them. Some of the meaning will go over younger children's heads but there are enough beautiful colored pictures to keep their attention. The story lines depict so many areas of our own walk with God and it's encouraging to watch how the characters develop and change. They are set up in short story form but eac ...more
Amy Rogers Hays
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
Scarboy escapes the evil Enchanted City into Great Park where he becomes Hero and believes in the King and the Restoration. Hero’s tale is interwoven with a collection of allegorical episodes exploring the adventures of other members of Great Park. My college wilderness instructors read these stories to us in the wild woods of Upper Michigan’s Porcupine Mountains. They are sweet and convicting. My favorite toast comes from these books: To the King! To the Restoration!
Erin Fowler
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written! This is a compilation of short stories that have an underlying biblical message on a relational level. The stories speak of the Enchanter and the King. The King is loving and caring and takes many different forms as he impact the lives of different characters in these wonderful tales! These would make great bedtime stories. I was first introduced to these stories on a missions trip when a leader read them to me and my high school buddies.
Lydia Thomas
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like the rest of the Kingdom Tales Trilogy, this is really a collection of short stories that all tie together. This collection tells stories of outcasts who are taken into a sort of park, cared for, and given new names. Some of my favorite stories are A Girl Named Dirty, about a girl who literally lives in a pigsty; Princess Amanda and the Dragon (love me some Princess Amanda); and I love the scene at the Sacred Flames at the end where everyone is celebrating.
Stacia Ahlfeld
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book as a kid by my aunt. It has been one of my favorites ever since. I didn't get all the symbolism as a child, but it always appealed to me. I would re-read it often, and am, in fact reading it to my son. I know he doesn't get it (he's only 3), but I want him to be able to read and hear good, faith-based writing. I'm hoping that some day it will mean as much to him as it did to me growing up.
Brooke
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
I really enjoyed this book and my seven year old son enjoyed it as well! I felt like the stories were creative and while I was reading it to my son, I was deeply interpreting the allegory for my own life. At the end of the stories, I was able to make comparisons from the book to real life for my son. I feel that these books will will continue to be a resource for imagination and teaching for our family.
Brooke
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I first read these stories to campers (children and teenagers) when I worked as a summer camp counselor. This collection of allegorical stories about life in the kingdom of God has given me a deeper sense of how life-changingly wonderful it is to find "kingslove". I recommend this book for personal reflection and/or family story time.
Jen
My parents read these allegorical stories to me and my sisters when we were growing up, so I thought now would be a good time to read them to our kids. There are some truly moving tales of redemption and love and some good life lessons alongside. It was a little too much for the 3 year old's limited attention, but the older two were riveted.
Allison Kelly
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my all time favorite read alouds. The writing is colorful and flows really well. Lots of little details that make it fun to read aloud, true story telling. And the truths of Christianity portrayed in these stories reach my heart in ways that simply hearing the facts of the matter don't. "How goes the world? The world goes not well, but the Kingdom comes!"
Erica
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books to my kids. They caught on to many of the parallels to our own spiritual lives which was such a pleasure to hear. The author paints such a beautiful picture of our tender, loving, ever faithful friend and father, the King. I recommend them as read alouds to everyone I know raising their kids in biblical faith.
Allen Jr.
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent children's (pre-teen) book presenting engaging stories that highlights Christian themes and truth. My wife and I have enjoyed reading these allowed to one another, even though we don't have kids.

I like the format, where each chapter is basically a self-contained story, with an overall arc and protagonist that ties the book together. Excited to read the other two volumes!
Nicholas Clinch
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We read one chapter each night before bed, & it was all dad could do to keep from crying as each new character is introduced. At first I thought our boys were a bit young, at 5 & 4, but they perked up when the Taxi driver mysteriously calls out, "to the king!" & speeds away. After that, they wanted to cheers at dinner "To the king! To the restoration!"
Molly
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is a delightful allegory written for children that teaches Biblical truths in wonderfully creative ways through the art of storytelling. The Mains' use of imagination is incredible and your children will not be disappointed. There are many lessons within each story - that will delight children of all ages.
  • The Bridge
  • Mountains of Spices
  • Tell Me the Secrets: Treasures for Eternity
  • The Sword of Camelot (Seven Sleepers, #3)
  • The Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • The Gifts of the Child Christ: Fairytales and Stories for the Childlike
  • Shadow Castle
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • Chataine's Guardian (The Annals of Lystra #1)
  • The Hedge of Thorns
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue, #1)
  • Treasures of the Snow
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • The Snow Princess
David R. Mains has been dedicating himself for spiritual growth development programs that disturb ordinary presumptions. During the year 1967 he built an experimental church in a Teamster’s Union Hall in West Chicago. Some church-planting specialists proclaimed that it can't be done but then with a few supporters, the church has grown from only 27 until 500 for ten years.

Mains' system is advanced
More about David R. Mains

Tales of the Kingdom (3 books)
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“So the princess discovered that when one loves a forbidden thing, one loses what ones loves most. This truth is a hard won battle for each who finds it and is always gained by loss.” 15 likes
“Not long ago, two children in Great Park made a quest: a boy who sought a way to talk through the thing he dreaded most and a girl who feared she had lost the One she loved the most. And together they discovered the Kingdom within and without, which all do, who have the courage to make the quest.” 5 likes