Start by marking “Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time (The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond, #2)” as Want to Read:

Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time (The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In the bestselling The Physics of Star Trek, the renowned theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss took readers on an entertaining and eye-opening tour of the Star Trek universe to see how it stacked up against the real universe. Now, responding to requests for more as well as to a number of recent exciting discoveries in physics and astronomy, Krauss takes a provocative look ...more
Published November 4th 1998 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Star Trek

Magdelanye
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It's time I faced it. As much as appreciate LMK's friendly approach Beyond Star Trek was beyond me.
No matter how I stretch my imagination, the idea of atomic particles will only engage in a cartoon dance in my mind and the theorems and mathematical equations elegance is lost to my confusion.
But it was easy and fun to engage with some of my old favorite sci=fi heroes. They seem more real than the kind of numbers and calculations that perhaps indeed underlie reality.
Timbre Wolf
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lawrence Krauss is an amusing man. both in his writing & in person (got to meet him, rad guy). the book isn't solely about star trek, it brings up other cult sci-fi but does fall back to ST. the topics are vast, ones we've all considered or considered many, and its written like you're watching a funny lecture. It's not heavy on the technical bits so don't worry about that. a good read
Rachel
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Steven Williams
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a follow-up to Lawrence Krauss’ The Physics of Star Trek, where he explored the physics of the Star Trek venture, and whether or not it was congruent with current physics or likely to be under further discovery. In this book he expands the discussion to all of the science fiction genre.

The book was fairly good, and Krauss manages to have kept it interesting. I found that I agreed with him that we are unlikely to travel through interstellar space, let alone to something local, like M
Nicole
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Another interesting read, and another case of "I'm amazed it makes this much sense to me... Wow, I rock at science." (Really, I don't, normally...) Very much enjoyed this book.
Charles
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a lifelong science fiction fan and one well-schooled in science, I enjoy the stories while acknowledging the holes in the scientific aspects. In this book, Krauss does an excellent job of explaining the scientific realities in the context of some of the wonders we see on the screen. Star Trek, in all of its many manifestations, is the primary focus. He also discusses the “X-files” television show and the movie “Independence Day.”
One of the interesting points concerns the alien ships in “Ind
Patricia
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book was highly entertaining and made me wish that I had majored in physics in college. The chapter on X-files was my favorite, being that I'm a big fan of the show. Krauss' presentation of physics concepts are laid out really well, in the context of popular science fiction. I was literally laughing out loud during several parts of this book, and that was before I met Dr. Krauss at a lecture and found out how funny he is in person. He definitely deserves the title "rock-star scientist", bec ...more
Andrew
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was more, and less, than what I expected; however, having read it, I now have no recollection of what I expected. I think I expected a more humorous (but factual) look at different "technologies." There was some satire, and it was simplified to be both entertaining, yet informative, but I'd be lying if I said it did not make my head hurt from time to time.

I'll describe it as an interesting look at different science fiction concepts, using current technology and science to evaluate the
Tony
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Beyond Star Trek basically attempts to analyze whether some of the phenomena we see in sci-fi and fantasy movies are possible from a scientific view point. Subjects discussed include travel at super-luminous speeds, ESP, time travel, etc. The author is able to explain some extremely complicated concepts very clearly, e.g., quantum entanglement. My only complaint is that a number of the subjects are deemed unrealistic for the same reason--they would require too much energy. However, I blame scien ...more
Kym Robinson
A pleasant follow up to the earlier 'the Physics of Star Trek' this book lives up to its title and investigates much of the science and possibilities and impossibilities found in other Sci Fi mediums.

Like the first book it is a nice read for any sci fi fan and any one who is starting their travels in the sciences or who has a partial interest in them.

A good compliment to the first book and both are superb to read one after the other.

70 %
Diana Sandberg
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Most enjoyable discussion of the science ideas underlying various sci-fi films and tv shows - or not underlying them, as the case may be :>). As usual, I got lost when he hit quantum mechanics in the last chapter or two. I cannot make my mind grasp this stuff, no matter how much of it I read. But I liked the rest of the book.
Chris
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good follow-up to The Physics of Star Trek, this time covering general SF themes like time travel, faster than light space travel, ESP, quantum mechanics, and the Force/levitation. The only downside is the 90's TV show references that make the book a little dated.
Richard Macaleese
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though many of Beyond Star Trek's messages don't entirely hit the mark in terms of being certifiable fact, Krauss has a knack for identifying common misconceptions in popular media. This book isn't meant to teach you. It's meant to make you think, and it does a good job with it.
Ariel
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-sci
As with the original, this book is well worth it if you have an interest in physics, Star Trek, or both. The accessible writing and humor make it stand out as a scientific analysis of popular science fiction concepts.
Voss
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interessante, come al solito per i saggi di questo autore :)
Alcune parti sono un po' ostiche, ma perché proprio la materia per me è oscura :(
L'autore scrive che è un piacere e riesce a semplificare senza banalizzare.
E senza togliere fascino alla fantascienza :)
The Tick
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
A little too much technobabble for me, but overall an interesting read.
Mark
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of the science is somewhat out of date, but an amusing read what would really happen if the ordinary SF-film was reality.
Claire Botman
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book a bit depressingly sensible (...I want to believe...). Worth reading though.
Niklaus
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scientifica
spunti interessanti non solo per fan della saga ma per chi ama la scienza e la fattibilita' (o meno) di certe innovazioni tecnologiche
Steven Stencil
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
do not have to be a fan or nerd or into science, great info and time killer.
Amber Vrenna
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Extremely entertaining!
Gene Sheppard
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meta-science

A wonderful and lucid examination of the technology of the Star Trek universe.
Superdrak
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers Volume 1
  • The Continuing Mission
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story
  • The Science of Star Wars: An Astrophysicist's Independent Examination of Space Travel, Aliens, Planets, and Robots as Portrayed in the Star Wars Films and Books
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Time Travel
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek
  • The Cartoon Guide to Physics
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • Get a Life!
  • Warped (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • To the Stars
  • The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Prof. Lawrence M. Krauss is an internationally known theoretical physicist with wide research interests, including the interface between elementary particle physics and cosmology, where his studies include the early universe, the nature of dark matter, general relativity and neutrino astrophysics. He has investigated questions ranging from the nature of exploding stars to issues of the origin of a ...more
More about Lawrence M. Krauss...

The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond (2 books)
  • The Physics of Star Trek