Start by marking “The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1)

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  104,041 ratings  ·  7,478 reviews
Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soiless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten co
Published December 30th 2010 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Kings, please sign up.

Cj Doesn't this book start with an assassination attempt and a battle containing thousands of people? I understand in mere scope the action isn't great…moreDoesn't this book start with an assassination attempt and a battle containing thousands of people? I understand in mere scope the action isn't great part of, but still... Plus this book is pure fantasy and not scifi and not advertised as such.(less)
Yashima Sanderson is one of the most productive writers I know. According to him this is going to be a 10 book series and a book will be published every other…moreSanderson is one of the most productive writers I know. According to him this is going to be a 10 book series and a book will be published every other year. I believe him when he says he'll manage to write that much.

You'll get hooked. It's a great series, don't wait until it's finished. I am just now starting to re-read the first two books. They are that good.(less)

Anila

I'm running out of superlatives.

Seriously, after praising The Well of Ascension as a reader's dream book, I was worried. What would I say if The Hero of Ages was better? Even finding the perfect GIF for that book didn't solve the problem - because soon enough, there'll be The Alloy of Law, and I still haven't read Elantris.

And then this book came along.

Now, I'll admit that I took my sweet time. About six months, off and on, actually. For a lot of that, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Ther
Patrick
I got to read an ARC of the book and I really enjoyed it. Sanderson really knows how tell a story and create an interesting world....
Felicia
WOW. Ok, so I actually cried during this book (it was a stressful day, but I'm usually not a weeper). This book captures the epic grandiosity and scope that I remember as a kid reading Eddings and Feist and Jordan. I didn't know what was going on all the time, but I was keenly aware of the great plot, the secrets, and the depth of world building and character in this book.
Yes, it's REALLY long, and yes, it lags a bit from time to time under all the philosophy, but honestly I was just staggered b
Carol.
Nov 22, 2014 Carol. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic fantasy fans
Recommended to Carol. by: virtually everybody
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A three and a half star read.

"What?" Sanderson's fans say, "this is a classic!"
"What?" people who read my reviews say, "you gave the same rating to that mess of a zombie book!"

Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Ignore comments about the length. I've read books that were as long (hello, The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition), and everyone has read series that were over a thousand pages. What troubles me about The Way of Kings is that I felt like I was reading the fantasy equi
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I have a new favorite author. His name is Brandon Sanderson.

description

This book . . . made me curse like a sailer.

If I had tried to read it in public, at the very least, I would have been banned from the property. More likely, I'd have either been locked up for 24-hour observation at the local mental health ward or at the local precinct for Disturbing the Peace, but only after having passed numerous drug tests, proving that I wasn't Drunk and Disorderly.

If you think I'm e
Becky
This book. Wow.

I kinda don't even know what to write about this book. The scope of it, the detail, everything is just so... epic. And then I think about the fact that there are a proposed nine more books, and I just...

Photobucket
The EPICNESS.

As I was reading this, I admit to being unable to see how this story, already ginormous all on its lonesome, could expand to a whopping 10 book series and do it well. Keep the pacing, the excitement, the world, the magic system, the awesomenes all consistent.

Oh m
Evan Leach
When I was a kid, I was never able to get the best of those damned Magic Eye paintings. I would stare and stare until my eyes watered, but to no avail.

description

All I see is an OK fantasy novel.

Well, looking at The Way of Kings and its glittering, 4.58 rating is bringing back some painful childhood memories that I’ve tried really hard to repress. Because like those stupid paintings, I just can’t see what all the fuss is about. To be clear, I didn’t hate this book: I thought it was sort of O.K. But this
Markus
”Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before Destination. Speak again the ancient oaths and return to men the Shards they once bore. The Knights Radiant must stand again.”

It has been ages since the legendary Knights Radiant stood against the Voidbringers. Now all that remains of them are the Shardplates and Shardblades they once wore. The world of Roshar has descended into a place of murder and intrigue, and while assassins kill kings in the shadows of the night, war rages on the
Elisabeth
Omg! I just -- AHHhH!! Favorite book of the year! So so good!!

Video Review:
Jorge Desormeaux
I began reading this book with a frown. The Prelude lasts barely more than 3 pages, and it assaulted me with 'Desolations', 'Dustbringers', 'Shardblades', 'Oathpact' and 'Radiants', all of them thrown about without care or explanation. The first chapter is no better: more meaningless words strewn carelessly. Worse, the opening sccene is a first-person narrative of a white-clad assassin who engages in a dizzying (confusing) set of gravity-manipulating acrobatics (which involve more arbitrary name ...more
Athena (Shardbearer)

Buddy Read April 2015 The Way of the Kings Group Thread

Buddy Read with Armina, Robin, Gavin, DesinkaApril 2014

STORMFATHER! This book was amazing.

This review may be spoilerish?!

It has been a few years since I have read a high fantasy/epic fantasy such as this one. I just recently finished The Name of the Wind and that one is high fantasy, but it does not compare to The Way of Kings.

I love books that are about war, swords and fighting just do something for me. I love books that go into detail o
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 25, 2015 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of A Song of Ice and Fire, Red Rising and The King Killer Chronicles
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
BUDDY READ/REREAD!!! April 2015, BECAUSE WE CAN

Since a few new people have been infected with the Sandersonitis bug (we are not a cult oOSarahOo :P) and I can’t wait until 2016 for a reread of the series it must be done and a buddy read is in order. There are about 30 of us reading this and I probably won't get all the names up (because that is just a lot) but the most important thing is that you can find the thread and join in the private group chat and fun at Fantasy Buddy Reads, The Way Of K
Laz
Jun 30, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic-high fantasy lovers

Finally, I see what all the fuss is about. Brandon Sanderson is a masterful author, capable of bringing into being every emotion, scene or type of character, in the best possible and realistic way, with the most difficult of genres, that of high-epic fantasy.

Excellent prose, amazing quotes, and memorable characters that keep humanity and its values intact. I would refer to Mr. Sanderson as
David Sven
I loved this book. I loved the world building, the magic system that imitates science with its rules and limitations and internal logic, and the various creatures and cultures and religions. Everything I loved about the Mistborn trilogy and more are in this book.

Map of Roshar - I like to call it Sandersonland

After listening to and loving the Mistborn Trilogy I thought I would try a couple of Sanderson’s stand-alone novels ie Elantris and Warbreaker before getting stuck into a ten book series wit
Sean Gibson
So, a buddy of mine has been trying to get me into Sanderson for some time (figuratively speaking, I should note...he has not, as of yet, physically tried to jam me inside the poor man, for which, I'm sure, Mr. Sanderson is quite grateful). At my friend's suggestion, I started with Mistborn, which--and don't freak out on me here, Sandersonites--I thought was solid, but didn't exactly salt my pickle (is that a thing?). So, he proceeded to give me The Way of Kings as a gift--his polite way of forc ...more
Jon
Jaime
Jul 08, 2015 Jaime rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High/Epic fantasy fans
This book is a fucking monster. I spent entire days wandering bonny Scotland - earbuds jammed into freezing ears, The Way of Kings playing seemingly endlessly - only to come home and still have 20 odd ours of narration remaining. It was nuts.

Bit of backstory: I actually read the first half of this book last year. i don't know what its like everywhere else, but here the mass market paperback is split into 2 books - volume 1 and 2. So, on completion of Volume 1, I decided I needed a break and, as
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
I'll write a full review once I've composed myself...right now, just thinking about this book leaves me stammering in awe!

For now, I'll just say that this book is over 1,200 pages long, and not a single one of them was wasted!

This was one of the most wonderful books I've ever read! I'm so glad I got to buddy-read this one with Branwen, who is one of the most wonderful friends I've ever had!

emma
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a thousand page tome that is supposedly the first in a ten book series...which presupposes that I'm looking forward to at least 10,000 pages of the story. I'm sorry the story just isn't that good.

I note that most of the ratings on this book are 4s and 5s...and 1s. There seems to be little middle ground. So, I'll go to the middle a bit. I neither hate nor love this book and I'll say now I have no intention of following the series...Of course it could be that I'll be hard pressed to live t
Faye, la Patata
Dear mother of all things holy...

I THINK I JUST FOUND MY FAVORITEST FAVORITEST FAVORITEST BOOK OF ALL TIME

This... was a sight to behold, to read, and to consume. The last few weeks reading this are easily the best weeks of my reading life. I... I can't deal. The world is grand, the characters are so flawed and yet so relatable and so different from one another it's amazing how Sanderson can truly write such phenomenal individuals, the history is so well thought-out, and the plot is just sublime.
Jeff
If there is one thing I have come to appreciate from Brandon Sanderson, it is his ability to give up little bits of info as you go. He continuously keeps you guessing. My sweet Jesus this book is awesome. He has built such an expansive world and the character development is amazing. I mean really did I expect otherwise? This guy is a genius plain and simple.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Apr 26, 2015 ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) marked it as thou-shalt-have-to-wait  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Members of the Sanderson Cult.
BR with Robin, Athena, Eilonwy, Danae, maybe Carole (you know you want to!), Asya, Eon, Tanya, Jessica, Markus, Cathryn, Jassem, Kristen & Jaime starting April 1, 2015.

Blah blah blah thread.
Blah blah blah thread for chapters 1-11.

A discussion thread for *only* 11 chapters. Now if *that* isn't scary I don't know what is.

Tim
This book was just ok/pretty meh. To be honest, I was disappointed, and can think of more things to criticize than praise, but I was still technically entertained, especially towards the end. I really wasn't all that amazed/impressed by anything though.

Things I liked:

- Not a Tolkien rip-off. I appreciate how Sanderson was trying to depart from the typical fantasy world, plot and characters, although I don't think all of his departures necessarily worked...

- Last 100 pgs were exciting/interesting
Eon (Windrunner)

The best stories always stay with you.

Long after you have finished the last page and closed the book, the characters and their lives live in your mind. Sometimes you can move on and they are quickly forgotten as you open another book and enter another world, but sometimes they linger. Sometimes they refuse to leave. Sometimes, they make it really hard to meet new characters and explore new w
Rob
Executive Summary: I loved this book. It's not perfect, but it instantly was added to my favorites shelf.

Will you love it too? Well that depends on what you're looking for. I've seen some people call that slow, but not me. I think book sets up what could become my new favorite series depending on what Mr. Sanderson does in the books that follow this one.

Full Review
I first heard of Mr. Sanderson, like many I suspect, when he was announced as the one chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of
Danae
This book. THIS. BOOK.

How can one possibly describe the absolute awesomeness of this masterpiece?
I don't think it's possible. Just do yourself a favor and read it.
Steven
For the first, oh, 60-70% of the book, this was a 3 star book. I loved the characters, but there wasn't much of a plot and that bugged me. I knew it was setup for the rest of the 10 book series, but I wanted more.

Well, the last 25% delivered. The story went from good to great to OHMYGODDIDTHATJUSTHAPPEN awesome. The characters went from great to badass. And the stuff left hanging for book two was just enough to leave me begging for me.

Way to go Sanderson, you might have rekindled my long-dead lo
julio
starts fast, gets slow, and then goes absolutely apeshit. loved this, at the time.

...and then i noticed all the dafuqery in the sequel.

Franco  Santos
Una completa obra maestra y no hay objeciones.

El Camino de los Reyes es el primer libro de una saga que se divide en dos tandas de cinco libros cada una. Es decir, este es el primer tomo de la primera serie ambientada en Roshar.

Vida antes que muerte
Fuerza antes que debilidad
Viaje antes que destino

Como ya dije en otras reseñas y en la descripción en mi perfil, Sanderson es uno de mis escritores favoritos. Esta obra es la más ambiciosa del autor, es la más compleja y completa, y, a pesar de sus
Allison
Days after finishing The Way of Kings, I still wasn't sure how to rate it or review it, but now I finally have a few thoughts put together. So here goes.

>> Edit 4-25-2015: Initially I settled on 5 stars, but after some time to reflect, I am downgrading to 4 stars. Let me explain why...

The fact that I didn't put the book down and instantly proclaim my awe gave me pause. Usually I rate a book 5 stars when it grabs me and doesn't let go, when I lose sleep over it, or when it moves into the r
Listening to music while reading? 1 8 Aug 28, 2015 03:01AM
This book...consumed me.... 13 117 Aug 12, 2015 08:38PM
Possible Cast 6 138 Aug 10, 2015 08:29AM
Flights of Fantasy: The Way of Kings 6 19 Aug 09, 2015 05:12PM
Year of Cosmere : Part Five: The Silence Above & END OF BOOK DISCUSSION 6 48 Aug 08, 2015 11:44AM
Year of Cosmere : Part Four: Storm's Illumination 2 26 Aug 03, 2015 03:40AM
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • Red Country
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • The Red Wolf Conspiracy (The Chathrand Voyage, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Highprince of War (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” 701 likes
“Life before Death.