Start by marking “The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview (5 Volume Set)” as Want to Read:

The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaffer Set Includes: Volume 1 is Christian View of Philosophy & Culture. It contains the following books: God who is There, Escape From Reason, He is There & He Is Not Silent, Back to Freedom & Dignity.

Vol 2 is Christian View Of The Bible As Truth. It contains the following: Genesis In Space & Time, No Final Conflict, Josh
Published February 1st 1985 by Crossway (first published 1982)

Frank Peters
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer A Christian Worldview
by Francis A. Schaeffer

Review for the Series: Rating 3/5

This series of the complete works of Francis Schaeffer is certainly a worthwhile read. Most of his ideas were generated before I was born, and most of his writing was done when I was a young child. It was interesting to see how relevant much of his writing still is 40 years after they were written. As a series of books, these had far too much repetition. By the time I was on th
Abby
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
I've technically only read the first volume, but this book has changed my life. I always felt somewhat under qualified as a witness because I had very little beyond just faith and my own testimony and experience to back up why God exists and is real and changes lives. I understand that it's up to God and not me to change lives and that I don't need anything more than that to be used, but I wanted to have more arrows in my quiver, as it were, so that I would have more for God to use, particularly ...more
Matt
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, the best explanation of the Christian worldview to have ever been written by the hand of man.

Schaeffer breaks it down from the smallest components of the Christian faith and really makes you see what you profess to believe--every inch of it. Then he begins to rebuild,using all those components like Legos, each building on the next, until you not only understand each part, but how it integrates into the whole.

My only regret is that you can't find the 5-volume set in hardback anymore;
Matthias
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
i have only read the first three volumes (of five volumes total) of this set but i recommend it to anyone. he talks about art as it connects to "the line of despair," the unneeded "jump" into the upper story (which means we don't have to cut our heads off to be christians), genesis as a historical book rather than something less than that, and many other topics. he wrote some ideas about what "christian art" might look like. i found that liberating.
Pete
Apr 02, 2010 is currently reading it
The Bible should be any Christian's priority read. This should be second. Dr. Schaeffer (L'Abri founder) puts the Christian on firm ground and easily provides reasons to reject alternative ways to interpret, understand, and twist the contents of the Bible to fit 'whatever'. It is an unconfusing (really!) read. Currently I'm in the 2nd volume but I've read many of these books individually over the last 40 years. Just glad to have it all in one place and updated.
Rob Petersen
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was my pleasure to get the opportunity to read this set in its entirety for a readings class on modern church history. Schaeffer's ability to accurately critique culture made him a man ahead of his time. I share his view of the world and of Scripture for the most part, and while he sometimes overstates our position, I resonate with much of what he says.
Jason Kanz
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have long considered Francis Schaeffer to be one of the most influential people on my thinking. His three volume set: The God Who is There, He Is There and He is Not Silent, and Escape From Reason as well as his short volume The Mark of the Christian have been beneficial reads. I decided that this summer, I would try to read through his complete works--22 books, 5 volumes, 2262 pages.

Once again, I really appreciated his three apologetics books. His work is essential for any serious student of
Steve Walker
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: church-history
Francis Schaeffer, sad to say, has become a political lighting rod in 2011. Certain political types, who are seeking their party's nomination for the highest office in the land, have stated the importance of his writings in their "so-called" intellectual formation. Reading one author however does not make one a scholar or a public intellectual. The problem with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, and I use that term loosely, is that they did not keep on reading and thinking. They stopped. ...more
Ann
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing truths for me at the time. Schaeffer

was a visionary and a great theologion.

"Whatever Happened to the Human Race" included his views on what was to come relating to the value of life. It's effects on society then and to come.

"How Should We Then Live" traced through history the persons (i.e.,Freud and Pavlov-human behavior, Darwin-evolution) Frederick Nietzsche (Nchilism and "God is Dead" philosphy) following the belief that life has no meaning were the abstract painters (Pollock) a
Elliot
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read a few of Schaeffer's books when I was in high school and college, and he was one of the first people I read who got me interested in intellectual history.

Re-reading these books several years later (plus several others I had never read before), I was disappointed at times with the simplistic nature of his arguments. He certainly knew how to paint with a broad brush. Even if his thought tended generally in a good direction, he seemed unfair in some of the details.

Nevertheless, the love and
Dale
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading through Schaeffer's books for the fourth time now. It's been over a decade since I last read them, and I find them fresh and meaningful as ever.

I went through a 2-semester class at Covenant Theological Seminary on Francis Schaeffer, so that background has added to my enjoyment of re-reading his Complete Works.
Ada
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Brilliant, strong, intellectual stuff. I haven't read anything outside the first volume (I was using it as a source for a paper)- but what little I did read tantalized me to come back for more. Next time I feel philosophical, I'll dip into these volumes once more for a bit of intellectual nourishment.
Chuck Bonadies
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Twenty two books is a lot to work through; but this set is worth the time. Be sure to begin with the first three books in the first volume. This will set the stage for the whole series.

CB
DCC
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
He gently pushes the reader to a level of rationale compassionate examination of life that few can equal. He's a wise kind uncle sitting next to you by the fire on a cold winter's night.
Michael
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of my fond memories from college was reading through Schaeffer's Collected Works. I found his books and ideas very engaging and accessible.

Roger Watkins
  • Heretics / Orthodoxy
  • Postmodern Times: A Christian Guide to Contemporary Thought and Culture
  • Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach
  • Works of John Bunyan
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • Worldly Saints: The Puritans as They Really Were
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
  • The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys
Francis August Schaeffer was an American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor. He is most famous for his writings and his establishment of the L'Abri community in Switzerland. Opposed to theological modernism, Schaeffer promoted a more historic Protestant faith and a presuppositional approach to Christian apologetics which he believed would answer the questions of ...more