Start by marking “Brian Froud's World of Faerie” as Want to Read:
Brian Froud's World of Faerie

Brian Froud's World of Faerie

Drawing inspiration from the gnarled shrubbery of England's windswept moorlands, Brian Froud is best known for being the mad genius behind Jim Henson's film The Dark Crystal and illustrating such best-sellers as Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book. In this volume, a long-awaited sequel to his international best-sellers Faeries and Good Faeries/Bad Faeries, Froud returns ...more
Published August 24th 2007 by Insight Editions

Faeries by Brian FroudThe Fantasy World of Josephine Wall by Josephine WallThe Art of Amy Brown by Amy BrownLady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry JonesParting The Veil by Nene Thomas
Fantasy Art Books
90 books — 56 voters
Tithe by Holly BlackThe Iron King by Julie KagawaValiant by Holly BlackThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver ElvesA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Sidhe
278 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Brian Froud's World of Faerie
Grace
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Brian Froud has truly outdone himself with this book. All of his art books are a delight to read, but this book gives the "Froudian" something we have been wanting for the last 20-some years or more...a glimpse into his process. Although the "peek into his studio" was mildly disappointing (I was expecting to see more than just a single desktop with books and knick knacks...as wonderful as these objects were), the essay on the next page from Wendy Froud, describing what it's like to live with ...more
Parka
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Brian Froud has illustrated several books on faeries but Brian Froud's World of Faerie is the most lavish art book yet.

The book is beautifully constructed and filled with masterful paintings and sketches printed on low gloss paper. Just like other books published by Insight Editions, there are also several little booklets pasted onto the pages. At the end of the book in an envelope is a poster of a poem by Neil Gaiman.

He paints as if he's beside the faeries
T.L. Wood
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brian Froud has done it again with another beautifully illustrated book about Faeries! I truly enjoyed reading it; I love the humor that he puts into his books as well. Absolutely brilliant! :D He even added little smaller picture books inside, which were a really nice surprise. :) I highly recommend this book for anyone who is a fan of Brian Froud’s work. It will not disappoint any fantasy art lover. :D
Ronald
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Unlike the brillaint Good Faeries/ Bad Faeries and Goblins a lot of this book is rehashed artwork from other volumes.
K.S. Thompson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: froud-faeries
WOW! What an amazing experience. I still remember discovering Brian Froud's work and now I have this little window into his world. I have had this book for ages, but was being really precious about it (along with the rest of my Froud library). I wanted the conditions to be perfect. The perfect chair, the perfect lighting, the perfect cup of tea. But as we all know, nothing is perfect and we miss out on so much by trying to make it so.

So I just decided that it was time to stop being so precious
Valeria
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
J
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-non-fiction
This was even more art than the last one I read and I probably appreciated it more because of that. There was more poetry than historical accounts. But overall I think I enjoy Froud’s trolls more than his fairies.
Kristina
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Brian Froud, Labyrinth, Jim Henson, Faerie
The paintings and sketches are impossibly lovely and Froud's meditations on art, creation and his spiritual connection to Faerie are profound and moving.
James
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, art
Some very nice drawings. I like his studio. It looks like he uses a lot of models for his art.
Mia
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seriously! For the art alone! But it doesn't end there, does it? The words ... the feels ... beautifully rendered in every way.
Melissa
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The art in here is so inspiring and so is the writing.
Jason
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes Mr. Froud comes off as a little sappy and perhaps leans a little towards making brown-nosing generalizations about women, but there's no denying his art is beautiful and can make you believe in magic.
Janemarple
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Once again Brian Froud acts as an interpreter into the world of the fey. No one captures faery quite like Mr Froud and this book shows some of his most amazing drawings. Throughout his book he talks of his inspiration, the fey themselves and how he strives to correctly capture the forever changing creatures.

An excellent look into the mind of a wonderful artist.
Emily
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is how incredibly brilliant Brian Froud is. He obviously has made quite an impact on countless people. The Dark Crystal, The Labyrinth, and so many fascinating books full of aesthetic wonder are the reasons he's one of my favorite artists.
Jada Stuart
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite artists. Looking at his paintings and then then reading the descriptions feels like you literally entered a new world. You'll never look at a tree or a pond the same way again. Each image is full of mystery and wonder. Very inspiring artwork! He is our modern-day Rackham.
Leah
Feb 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is another one that I had to pay through the nose for as it's out of print and has been for several years. I managed to track down a brand new copy that had been in a warehouse since like the late 70's. I don't ever take it out of the protective jacket that it is in, so don't ask me to. :)
Antoinette
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brian Froud out does himself in this one ! There's the wonderful drawings from his other books. Plus, he does the text by himself this time. I liked getting a glimpse of his paints and sketch books. I don't doubt that he has seen the faeries and communicated with them !
Shelley VanWitzenburg
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anything and everything Brian Froud EVER does I LOVE!!! He is my hero. He did the puppets for the movie The Labyrinth and his son, Toby played the baby Toby, and he and his wife did Yoda for Star Wars. Basically he is a BA and I want to live in his world. :)
Beverly
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anf-300-fairies
Wonderful illustrations
Hunter R.
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing work of an amazing man!
Wan
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful pictures. This is a keeper. I need to own one.
Shaun
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
If only Brian Froud didn't write in his art books. His earnest treatises on the validity and magic of faeries only serves to sap some magic out of his paintings.
Cameron
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
Many of these illustrations can be found in other of Brian Froud's books, but never have they been collected with such fun accoutrements, and the volume itself is beautiful.
brian tanabe
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it
A great gift for any fan of Froud's work or the like, but it seems a bit padded if you will.
Joel Christian
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lip smacking with delectable drawings and flavorful fantasy realms
Bladestryke
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I. Love. This. Book! If you love Brian froud or fairies or wish to peek into the in-between this book is a must!
Amelia Fuentes
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carly Shilling
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I live, eat, and breathe Brian Froud, so for me there is nothing better than this latest addition to his faery collection. Truly awe-inspiring work.
Alexa
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brian Froud is a visionary and inspiration and an absolutely stunning artist. I adore him!
Brenda
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Saw this book and bought it right away!!!! It's on my coffeetable eversince :D

• A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • The Art of Amy Brown
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • In the Realm of the Never Fairies: The Secret World of Pixie Hollow
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Dragonology (Ologies, #1)
  • The Trouble With Tink (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #1)
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------

"I paint the spirit and
“Perhaps all women are part faerie, for what woman can deny her faerie blood when the portals to her own land are open; when the full moon sings its insistent song; when sorrow and passion and rage pulse through her body at moon times. This is why women are the chosen ones of Faerie, pat of the vibrant, fluid, emotional soul of the world…” 34 likes
“Perhaps all women are part faerie, for what woman can deny her faerie blood when the portals to her own land are open; when the full moon sings its insistent song; when sorrow and passion and rage pulse through her body at moon times. This is why women are the chosen ones of Faerie, part of the vibrant, fluid, emotional soul of the world…” 3 likes