Start by marking “Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4: Love Me Tender” as Want to Read:
Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4: Love Me Tender

Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4: Love Me Tender (Strangers in Paradise Trade Paperbacks #4)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  645 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This collection presents a restless time for Francine, Kathcoo and David as they struggle with their relationships in the aftermath of the I Dream of You period. However, in their self-absorbing conflicts they fail to notice an ominous presence that rises and surrounds their lives like a deadly storm. A powerful look at the human heart caught off guard. This collection inc ...more
Published January 13th 1998 by Abstract Studio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4

Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first collected volume of issues from what became the main bulk of the series. Volume 1 had 3 issues and Volume 2 had 13 issues. I recommend you start with those so you know the characters and backstory before you get into new things here. This volume collects issues 1 to 5 of Volume 3.

While in theory this volume is a complete story and it does end with the line “End of Part 1”, it is definitely a reintroduction to the SIP crew that needs to be followed up by continuing into the next volume.
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
"Take my hand, I'm a stranger in paradise, oh lost in a wonderland, I am a stranger in paradise.
If I stand starry-eyed that's the danger in paradise for mortals who stand beside an angel like you.
Won't you answer this fervent prayer of a stranger in paradise, don't send me in dark despair from all that I hunger for, but open your angels arms to this stranger in paradise and tell her that she need be a stranger no more."

.....and that is the sweet and agonizing tale of Francine and Katchoo!

M.M. Strawberry Reviews
Thus us a pretty fantastic installment in the Strangers in Paradise series. The events of this novel hint at interesting story arcs in the future, I never thought this series would suck me in as deep as it did.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First colored volume. I prefer the black-and-white but what can you do?

The story is less crazy drama and more slice of life relationship between Francine and Katchoo (and David) now, and I do enjoy the, I'm assuming, breather filler.
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

Volume 4 opens with a short, metaphorically inclined superhero sequence as dreamed by a future version of Francine. She is now middle-aged, unhappily married, and the mother of a 4-year-old daughter. We are told Francine hasn't seen Katchoo since she got married ten years ago. From this disheartening bit of foreshadowing we travel back to the present, where Francine and Katchoo have returned from Hawaii and are moving into a new apartment together. David c
Michael Bacon
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Paste from my review of Volume 1. I've read most of the series and feel the same review overall applies to everything:

The series has beautiful black and white line art throughout. It's the main reason I ever started it. Terry Moore is a masterly graphic artist and a riveting storyteller. I suspect I'll read anything he puts out. That said, I prefer Rachel Rising (horror) and Echo (science fiction), personally. SiP (as fans tend to call it) is a work focused almost entirely on how people relate t
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very sweet slice-of-life story about characters whose lives seem very real, due to the wonderful writing of Terry Moore. What struck me about them is that Moore manages to make the silly parts of life very real, and make the serious parts serious without making them melodramatic.
The ad agency subplot was hysterical, and it amazes me that this series hasn't yet been adapted for a show on cable tv. It's rich and quirky, sweet and rowdy all at once.
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not 100% about the "later in life flashback" start to this one, but I'm intruiged about where we're going.

Still enjoying the series. Natch.

The downside to an ongoing series in seperate books like this is that, until I reach the end, it's all just "yup, still reading, still liking" unless something radically shifts. Boring blog material, but still.
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
2012 Reread: I got lost in this for a month. My very first full reread since the series hit its ending. Since I knew where it would start and go and end up. It was just as terrible, wonderful, painful, heartbreaking, heart healing, amazing as every other read. I never stop knowing my heart belongs to this.
Sara Braun
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series is incredible. Beyond the graphic novel world, I think there would be a far broader fan base if it were advertised to the general public. Whoever you are, man or woman, you should definitely give it a chance.
Hannah Garden
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Happily, I only found one more volume after this, at which point I will call it a day. Goodreads I see you indicating that many more volumes exist but do you know what I hate to be greedy I will leave the rest for the others..the...Others...hahaa lolol fuck Lost
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the best of the Strangers in Paradise series, but still a fun read.
Kenya (ReviewsMayVary)
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-gn-tpb
Strangers in Paradise was the first comic title I was obsessed with, not counting The Crow, which was a different thing all together. SIP was consistently astounding.
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: addictive
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Jim Lee superhero sequence and covers! :)
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I could and have re read this series over and over. It has made me laugh out loud, cry and just come to understand how powerful comics can be.
Adriana Pereira
This is like bad TV. Terrible, but I can't stop watching.
Apr 22, 2013
Michael DeLong
Feb 03, 2016
  • Kabuki, Vol. 3: Masks of the Noh
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Finder, Vol. 02: Sin-Eater 2
  • Preacher Special: Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey
  • Bone: Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails (The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero)
  • The Compleat Moonshadow
  • Death: The Time of Your Life
  • Whiteout: Melt
  • Heartbreak Soup (Luba and Palomar, #1)
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Rising Stars, Vol. 2: Power
  • Requiem for an Elf (Poison Elves, Vol. 1)
Following the examples of independent comic creators such as Dave Sim and Jeff Smith, he decided to publish Strangers in Paradise himself through his own Houston-based "Abstract Studios" imprint, and has frequently mentioned a desire to do a syndicated cartoon strip in the authors notes at the back of the Strangers in Paradise collection books. He has also mentioned his greatest career influence i ...more
More about Terry Moore...

Strangers in Paradise Trade Paperbacks (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Complete Strangers in Paradise, Volume 1