Start by marking “Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)

Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,204 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Basil--famous sleuth of mousedom--lived in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes' house. A devoted admirer of the great detective, he had learned his craft by listening at the feet of Holmes himself. The Mystery of the Missing Twins was one of the strangest cases in Basil's career. He had only a few crumbs of clues with which to find solutions to such baffling questions as: Who ha ...more
Published August 23rd 1989 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Basil of Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basil of Baker Street

Richard Denney
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!

This was so much fun to read. I just finished A Study in Scarlet and unintentionally I was reading this as if this story was taking place during the first Sherlock Holmes book and it made it a whole lot more exciting. The Disney movie is one of my favorite animated movies of all time and I wish they had made sequels to the movie. I love these new re-issued covers too! I kind of want to own them all now. - Richard
Rebecca McNutt
Does anyone else remember this 1950's children's classic about a mystery-solving mouse? Reminiscent of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and The Rescuers, Basil of Baker Street gives the old but always-in-style stories of Sherlock Holmes a voice, the small but determined voice of a mouse to be exact.
Lindsay Stares
Sarah83 L
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlocked
Sherlock Holmes als Maus? Wer sich das nicht vorstellen kann, sollte sich an Eve Titus wenden. Flott geschrieben und immer einen Hinweis auf den großen 'Holmes' in der Hinterhand, ist es ein kleines Buch für zwischendurch.
Chris
I’m sorry to admit that as much as I have always love Disney’s Great Mouse Detective, this the first time I have read this book. I don’t know why I never picked it up as a child, but I didn’t.
It is a mouse version of Sherlock with nice tie ins to the Sherlock stories. A bit moralistic at the end – don’t talk to strangers you hear. But good fun.
Krista
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son and I read this together. Well, mostly he read to me and I listened. We both enjoyed this cute little book and are continuing the series together!
Kevin Magpoc
I'm reminded of "Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos" (written far before this book) in which it is revealed that Franklin was actually heavily inspired by a mouse friend. "Basil of Baker Street" works the other way around - it tells the story of a mouse who lives with Sherlock Holmes, though presumably unbeknownst to Holmes himself, and idolizes him to the point of actually going out and solving crimes and mysteries in the mouse world. So what you get her ...more
Sheila Beaumont
Basil is the Sherlock Holmes of the Mouse World. His friend and associate Dr. Dawson narrates the story. Mrs. Judson is their mousekeeper. The mouse detective has learned his sleuthing skills by listening to Sherlock Holmes tell Dr. Watson how he solved his cases. Basil takes notes in shortpaw. Basil and Dr. Dawson live in the mouse village, Holmestead, in the cellar at 221B Baker Street. In this book Basil solves the kidnapping of the mouse twins Angela and Agatha. Children will enjoy this book ...more
Amanda
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, animal, childrens
After watching the great Disney movie The Great Mouse Detectives I decided to look up some fanart. Suddenly I kept hearing about some book about Basil, so I looked it up here on Goodreads, and sure enough it's a book. The next time I visited the library I looked for it and to my great delight it was there. It was a very easy read. My forgotten childhood hero rose to new heights. A really great kids book and another great mystery to add to my small shelf. I usually don't willingly read mysteries ...more
Jen
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
For fans of Sherlock Holmes and the Disney film about Basil, this is a great and incredibly easy read. I love how the author nonchalantly creates her mouse detective as a Holmes miniature, paying homage along the way and every now and then throwing in the considerations one must take to be a mouse. Also, Dawson is not nearly as bumbling as Disney made him, the which I totally approve of. Basil is a cleaned up, caring version of Holmes; as the author wishes, a great bridge to the grown-up's detec ...more
Stephanie
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great children's book. Similar to Sherlock Holmes, but written for elementary-aged kids, with a mouse detective (Basil) and a mouse sidekick (Dr. Dawson) and lots of other mouse characters. Looks like My Father's Dragon in terms of length, size of type, and number of words on a page, but has lots of high-level vocabulary. Written back in the 50's so a bit old-fashioned, and I mean that in a good way.
Sydney
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good for kids! This was one of my favorites, along with Ghost in the Third Row, when I was just starting to read (I really hated reading, but you would know an interesting book if I actually kept with it.) This is short and quick enough to keep a kid engaged and it's about mice in clothes! Who wouldn't like it??
Myrna
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love detective stories so it was a good read. Myrna, age 7
Michaela Raschilla
I reas this guy as part of some rsearch Im doing on a possible future video discussing the use of rodents in childrens books.

I am now super keen on rewatching the disney film based on the wonderful little mice in this story as well.

I enjoyed this one not just as a child's introduction to Sherlock Holmes, mystery, detective fiction, and who knows what else, but because it didn't pull its punches. I always commend children's books that don't talk down to the kids. This is a chapter book with fair
Evangeline
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite Sherlock retellings ever. It's clever, original, and yet it is written like a classic Sherlock Holmes mystery, but with mice.

I read this aloud to myself (but only when I was home alone) because I wanted to give all the characters accents, and just in general act it out a bit, which I recommend if you are a dramatic human because it's super fun.

The mystery was simple, but it was the characters (and the accents, if I may say so myself) that really shone about this boo
ThenSingsMySoul
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Small Children who have a fascination with mice and/or Sherlock Holmes
Shelves: read-aloud
I read this book because I loved the Disney movie it inspired; The Great Mouse Detective. When I found it had first been a book I had to get my hands on it. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it before seeing the movie. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I were younger.

The thing of it is, this book is very much a children's book. I do not mean that as a negative necessarily, there have been many children's books I enjoyed immensely and will continue to read the rest of my l
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
The pictures are kind of weird; for anthropomorphic mice, their faces look a little too mouse-y. Where are their mouths??! Maybe that's just because I saw the Disney movie based on this book (the Great Mouse Detective) first. The story itself is fine and works as a great introduction to the world of Sherlock Holmes for small children.

Still, I'm not sure I kept this book because I liked it, or because I spilled blood on it while I was at the hospital.
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
Super quick and cute read!
Cindy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Reminds me of Ben and Me.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance, during Sherlocked. (October - December 2015)

Basil is a mouse with one great ambition, to be the best detective for mice that ever was, much like his idol, Sherlock Holmes, is to humans. Basil has learned his trade at the very feet of this great detective, even if that detective is unaware of this. In fact Basil, with his trusty assistant, Doctor David Q. Dawson, has set up his headquarters in the basement of 221B Baker Street. Th
Pop Bop
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Whole Package

This is the first book in the Eve Titus "Great Mouse Detective" series. It was first published in 1958, but the entire series has now been reissued in a crisp format with new cover art and the like. This struck me as one of the better Holmes knock-offs and one of the better mouse-character series, so the combination of the two make the whole series very appealing.

The setup is that Basil, the famous mouse detective, lives in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes' house, and so he is able
Spokhette
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Basil is amazing and the artwork is the cutest, this time you are on a mission to not only stop the terrible three, but to rescue to twin mice who have been captured and to save holmestead from becoming a city for the criminal element.
Daring, wit and a bit of cosplay await you on this adventure. Its a great and QUICK read!
Come Dawson, the game is afoot!
Kristine Hall
The audio book is delightful! I have never seen the Disney movie, so I knew nothing going in to the story of Basil, the mouse who admires, observes, and emulates Sherlock Holmes. Highly recommend this for young listeners. Full review coming to Hall Ways Blog.
Meghan
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my youngest. We really enjoyed it. He liked that the characters were all mice, and he loved that I read it with accents. It's really fun to read the books that one of my favorite Disney movies is based on.
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge fan of the movie "The Great Mouse Detective". I was so pleased to find it was based on a book! Many of the scenes in the book were used in the movie, though Disney made it their own version.
Highly recommend reading this series. :)
Catherine Marie
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the movie as kids and enjoyed the book equally as much! Something super cute to read with my godsons.
Mikayla Almquist
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audible
It's elementary, my dear Dawson!
Jaqueline Miguel
Brevemente...
Anthony Siano
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I read this to my 6 year old sister she did like it but it did get boring for her a little bit would recommend for 8 and older
Jennifer Kendall
  • The Case of the Baker Street Irregular
  • Henry Reed's Think Tank
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • The Fox and The Hound
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Something Queer at the Library (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 3)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt!
  • The Jedera Adventure (Vesper Holly #4)
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.
More about Eve Titus...

Basil of Baker Street (5 books)
  • Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
  • Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)