Start by marking “Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs (National Geographic Readers)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
There's nothing more fascinating than dinosaurs. In this Level 1 reader, youngsters learn all about the terrifying giants that once roamed the Earth—maybe even as close as their own backyard! They'll be wowed by new information and eye-popping illustrations from National Geographic, a trusted source of children's nonfiction content.

National Geographic supports K-12 educato
Published April 12th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurs

Brad
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
This is my third National Geographic Reader this week (I have to complete the goodreads reading challenge someway, and what better way than to catch up on the books my kids were reading earlier this year). To my surprise, the quality has been all over the place. I started with Sharks, which was tons of fun, and then I read Trains, which was a steaming pile of crap; Dinosaurs sits right in the middle.

It achieves what it sets out to achieve -- though not necessarily what it should have been achiev
Miloš & Brontë
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, dinosaurs
Miloš: I really liked it.

Pa: Really? You didn't love it?

Miloš: No, I really liked it?

Pa: Interesting. So why didn't you love it?

Miloš: Umm ... cause it wasn't a number three book.

Pa: You mean it wasn't hard enough?

Miloš: No, but that would still be easy for me because I've already read a really huge book.

Pa: What book was that?

Miloš: Iron Giant

Pa: That is a pretty big book. You liked stuff in it, though.

Miloš: I liked how the dinosaurs walked on their toes. How their necks were curved.

Pa: Why
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary
This is a book about dinosaurs. Along with many other National Geographic kids books, this one has many captivating pictures along with great passages telling all about dinosaurs.

Evaluation
This book gives insight into a dinosaur's existence long ago. This book has information on many different kinds of dinosaurs and where they might have lived.

Teaching Idea
I would use this book in a science lesson on extinction. I would explain what they new vocabulary word means and then I would hav
Mellanie C
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this to the kids at summer day camp. The boys especially really enjoyed it.
Adam Al Suliman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It shows us dinosaurs bones.
Dale Wallace
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this 📔📑📗📘📙

I know a lot about Dinosaurs !!!!!!!! & I know what a contaturs it is a meat er a meager is a conniver
Renee
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Here's what my son and I have to say. For more of our reviews, please visit us at http://motherdaughterbookreviews.com

SON SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about:

I’ve read lots of dinosaur books before but this one taught me new things like dinosaurs didn’t have fur and I learned about what they ate. They also talked about dinosaurs I had never heard of before like the Buitreraptor. I had also never seen the Microraptor before. I thought it was cool that they showed how big a dinosaur was compared
Julia Jasztal
Feb 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Mommy's review from 11/7/11 -

Unless the child you plan on giving/reading this to is learning to read at about, say, two years old, pass on this.
I'm usually quite forgiving about dino information being basic. Just because Julia is a self-proclaimed dinosaur expert doesn't mean all kids are after all. But this is far, far, too easy for even a toddler. Unless that toddler is just now being introduced to dinosaurs as a whole, with this book.
I support National Geographic and N.G. Kids but this is a
Michaela
Dinosaurs is a very beginner book that would be great for younger children. It discusses what dinosaurs are and some of the different kinds of them. It also gives a lot of great vocabulary words that will help students understand dinosaurs better. It shows the students pictures as well of a human compared to a dinosaurs and the different sizes of them. I think a great pair would be Tea Rex. This is a little kids book and talks about having a dinosaur come over for tea. In the book Dinosaurs it t ...more
Lauren
Fiction Twin Text:
Dinosaurs Love Underpants
By: Claire Freedman
Copyright: 2009

Rationale: I chose to link these two books to focus on the difference between fiction and non-fiction literature. Dinosaurs by Kathy Zoefeld offers information about these prehistoric creatures at a primary level, while still including many non-fiction features. Dinosaurs Love Underpants in a colorful and imaginative fictional book that playfully talks about how the dinosaurs actually became extinct fighting over under
Samantha Groth
Dinosaurs is the last non-fiction book I choose. This book has many pictures of dinosaurs and simple words to help explain what these dinosaurs did. One thing I love about this book is it had "word bites" on pages that defined words that students might not know. I also really enjoyed that it showed students how to pronounce dinosaur species names (we all know how difficult that can be!) This is a informal non-fiction book. It is based on fun informative facts which makes it an informal nonfictio ...more
Julia
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The 5 year old enjoyed this book, but it raised more questions than it answered. I realize it is trying to keep things simple for the young audience, but I found it confused my child due to how many terms were briefly mentioned in passing, yet never elaborated on or explained. A good beginning book, but be prepared to google anything that requires more explanation (such as curved necks and birds being modern dinosaurs).
Rosa Cline
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This was an excellent History-Science book to learn-teach about Dinosaurs. The story was basic but very informative...(although most would need help with pronouncing the names of the dinosaurs correctly) it also has jokes with the answers upside down that will make some giggle. Descriptions, definitions, explanations etc.
Nancy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grandchildren love a book I have on dinosaurs, and many other children I know, have loved this kind of book. I enjoyed learning more about dinosaurs. There are pronunciations given for each dinosaur, which is very helpful to me. The kids seem to pick up the names very easily. The book asks if chickens are dinosaurs, and the answer was yes, and all birds are considered dinosaurs.
Bari
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-reader
My 4 year old nephew, like many boys his age, is interested in Dinosaurs. While many of the books of the market are to sophisticated for him, this one seemed to be perfect. The language the author uses keeps the reader interested, informs them about dinosaurs and yet is simple enough for the youngest reader. This makes a nice read aloud book for those non readers as well.

Margaret Samuels
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
(We read the spanish version 'Los Dinosaurios') G 5yrs: "It was very great. Although it gots lots and lots of meat eaters on only one page. But there's lots and lots of pages. It was funny that it was in spanish. I couldn't understand it. Triceratops is the same in english and spanish."
Natalie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dinosaurs
Most of the book was alright with some basic info. The boys seemed to like it. I struggled with the last two pages though - chickens are dinosaurs and if you want a dinosaur as a pet, go and buy a budgie.
Haley Hoenke
#reading #science #dinosaurs
Meghan
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was way too hard for Sean to read it by himself. He loved hearing that a chicken is a dinosaur, though!
Stephanie Tercero
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I would add this book to a school library.
Cheyenne
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information book about dinosaurs. Great for younger children.
Kat Evans
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Kat by: no one
Very informative, only thing that might have improved it was if it had more pages. Great for little kids to learn to read and learn about dinosaurs.
Teri
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs
great for young children--easy to understand and presents solid scientific concepts.
David Dick
Jan 28, 2018
Angelia
May 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • Frogs!
  • Pandas
  • About Birds: A Guide for Children
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • The Little Penguin
  • Tooth Trouble
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • The Halloween Party from the Black Lagoon
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • Froggy Gets a Doggy
  • We Are America: A Tribute from the Heart
Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld is the award-winning author of more than sixty books for children, including DINOSAUR TRACKS, "a great choice for even the most discriminating dinophiles" (School Library Journal); DID DINOSAURS HAVE FEATHERS?, a Children's Book of the Month Club selection, described as "fascinating" by Kirkus Reviews; and DINOSAURS BIG AND SMALL, a 2003 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book ...more
More about Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld...

National Geographic Readers (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Ants
  • Bats
  • Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Cats vs. Dogs (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cheetahs
  • Deadliest Animals
  • Deadly Predators (National Geographic Readers)
  • Dolphins
  • Frogs!
  • Great Migrations: Whales (National Geographic Readers)