Start by marking “Over on the Dry Side” as Want to Read:
Over on the Dry Side

Over on the Dry Side (The Talon and Chantry series #7)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,335 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The abandoned cabin seemed like a good place to settle down . . . except for the dead man in the front yard. But Doby Kernohan and his father had traveled a long way seeking a new start, and they were in no position to be choosy. Unfortunately, the mysterious man’s violent end was an omen of darker events to come, for a cycle of violence that had begun long ago was about t ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Bantam (first published May 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Over on the Dry Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over on the Dry Side

Jeff Dickison
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good L'Amour tale as Owen Chantry must revenge his brother's death while fighting off bad guys and hunting for a supposed treasure. And at the same time he must win fair maiden's hand. Well told with lots of action. Recommended to western fans!
Oleta Blaylock
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that the treasure that the bad guys were looking for wasn't what any of them would consider treasure. I also thought that L'Amour pointing out that book reading was not a common thing in the west. None of these people could fathom that a manuscript from an ancient civilization would have any value. To them it was just a book and of no importance. I often think that many still feel this way and it is very sad. Reading can take to so many times and places that most of us will never be able ...more
Brittney Dietzel
In Over on the Dry Side, Doby Kernohan and his father found an empty cabin but when they walked up to the house there was a dead body on the front steps. They are looking for a new start away from the city and people so they took the cabin. After about a month of living in the cabin a man shows up, it is the owner's brother, Owen Chantry. When Owen comes around some trouble starts with this cowboy gang and Owen, they come around and try to find some treasure they think is there. Which leads to v ...more
Barbara Lee Wood
THE MYSTERY BEHIND THE CABIN

Another great fast moving twisting western by a great author. A man a d his so come upon a cabin, with the body of a dead man laying in the door way. They check the man to see if there's any identification on him, and of course there isn't. The cabin was in disarray, dusty, but we'll built with sturdy homemade furniture.
The father and son clean the cabin and bring in their few items.
I think everyone who likes Louis L'Amour books should read this adventure. It's an i
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed a quick and easy book so I pulled this one from my bookshelves. I own the book so I know I've read it before but I had no memory of the plot. Louis L'Amour books can kind of run together after a while, but I liked that this one was a little different with the dual protagonist. The older, wiser, more experienced hero and the teenager who likely reminds him a little of his younger self. Did L'Amour ever write more about Doby? I'd love to read what happened to him ten years later.
Ryan Mishap
Pa muttered something about new beginnings, and, louder, how he hoped we were done with killing. That word echoed shrieks and wailing in the canyon of my memory, but I dutifully ignored those unwelcome reverberations and repeated what Mother had said.
“Life feeds on life and the new consumes the old.”
“So say your philosophers but mine have a different way of looking at things,” Pa said, cut his eyes at me quick, and then leaned forward, hands maybe gripping tighter like he had to rein the wago
Aaron Toponce
Another story, another Chantry. I was less excited to read about yet another Chantry, with no explanation how he fits into the Chantry family tree. When reading about Tom Chantry after Borden's death, I was disappointed, but the story actually ended up working out fairly well. The same can't be said for this one. It was slow. Not horrible, but not great. I was just "okay".

Owen Chantry arrives at his brother's (Cliven Chantry) homestead, who just recently died. He finds a father and son living th
Angie Lisle
L'Amour attempted a new narrative style with this book - multiple points of view (POVs) pop up sporadically in his other stories but this book uses multiple POV more consistently than his previous attempts. Doby Kernohan is a sixteen year old boy with some rough po' white boy vernacular. This can be tough for folks who don't appreciate dialects - it's one of my favorite parts of the book. Doby's POV is off-set by educated Owen Chantry, who speaks with (mostly) proper grammar. L'Amour succeeds at ...more
Mistydawn Thrash
This was a typical Louis L'amour book. Western, rough country, bad men vs one good man, tormented past that is never quite revealed, beautiful girl, a homestead full of trials and triumph. The only thing different about this particular story then the others I have divulged in was the use of a great poet, Tennyson. I enjoyed that angle of the book very much. Knowing that in a wild frontier a book can be considered as valuable as gold made me smile. There is hope for mankind yet, even in the midst ...more
Andrew Houghton
I cut my teeth on Louis L'Amour; he was the first author I devoured when I went from first-grader-who-couldn't-read to second-grader-who-would-read-anything. He has a special place in my heart -- I still remember my father waking me up to tell me he had died, all those years ago.

THAT BEING SAID. He's not a great writer. He writes books with clear protagonists and the occasional conflicted bad guy and the girl who depends on the man though she's sometimes tough-as-nails. His characters can't hol
Villager
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tells the story of the old west from the perspective of a 16-year old kid. The story has all of the classic elements of any good western (bad guys, good guys, creating future from the land, Indians, and even a romance with a potential triangle aspect that includes some jealousy). I enjoyed this Louis L'Amour book and recommend it for anyone that enjoys Westerns ... or enjoys L'Amour.
Trinrin
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book because he was on a search for his brothers treasure. I like the adventure that he had to go through to find it. He did have some hard times but he got through them . His brother was a good guy but he got shot before he could tell his brother about the treasurer. But his brother managed to find clues to try and find it before the bad guys did.
Jody
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read the book for a book club. So this is Louis L'Amour - whatever. Writing style was pretty simplistic, but the plot moved along. Seem predictable with repetitive descriptions. Nothing special that I'd recommend to another adult. Fast read that a middle school student might enjoy.
Lan B
I thiught it was a good book. A boy thought that Owen was trying to take a girl, and he wanted. It had a lot of details and stuff. It is from the cowboy period.It is fun reading this book becaue it had a lot of shooting in it and that is a lot of action.
Jeff Anderson
Puppy love wars with hero worship. A young man with little experience finds a hero, but then has conflicting feelings when his hero becomes his competition for the hand of a fair maiden. Good story, bad guys get killed, good guys get married, slightly boring.
Collin Stewart
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable L'Amour story. It takes place in my "backyard" and descriptions of the locations are well done. A standard L'Amour plot, strong, silent, self-reliant stranger, girl in trouble, lots of bad guys, etc. read it and enjoy.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doby Kemohan and his father settle down in an abandoned cabin. Except for the dead man in the front yard, it is an idea location, or so it seems. They get caught in a fight involving murder, greed, and vengeance and have to deal with a circle of violence.
PWRL
Shelves: western
L'Amour, Louis
Nick
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable Louis L'Amour book. His reads are always fun.
Gary Smith
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'Amours writing is excellent in this short book. But then, his writing is always excellent.
Michael
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
once you start a louis l'amour book you just can't put it down.

John Worthington
I liked the book but I have read better Louis books.
Gregory L Calkins
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

:) I'm Kimi :) hi I ion I ion just u junk hi by uhh kill hh ion uhh f f yet y f2f r y you f2f d f2f hi ii re r rd c.f. uhh in

Jacob
wonderful story of a father and son claiming their land and keeping bandits from running them off
Dan Watson
A quick read.
Angela
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-westerns
not terrible, not his best work. Didn't find the characters particularly likable but the story moved at a decent pace and wasn't long.
David
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read a Louis L'Amour book I did not like. This book included.
You should check it out of you like westerns.
Cws
W L'Am
  • Desert Gold
  • The Untamed (Dan Barry, #1)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Idaho! (Wagons West, #13)
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #6)
  • The War Chief (Apache, #1)
  • Forty Lashes Less One
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Talon and Chantry series (8 books)
  • Borden Chantry
  • Fair Blows the Wind
  • The Ferguson Rifle
  • The Man from the Broken Hills
  • Milo Talon
  • North to the Rails
  • Rivers West
“Any time a man comes along and says 'Indians' or 'Mexicans' or 'Englishmen' he's bound to be wrong. Each man is a person unto himself, and you'll find good, bad, and indifferent wherever you go.” 1 likes
“Once he paused near a small stream to watch a dipper bob up and down on a rock. He saw a school of trout lurking in a shady place where a branch hung low on the water. No amount of seeing ever made nature old to him, and he was conscious of every movement and sound.” 1 likes