Start by marking “The Backpack” as Want to Read:
The Backpack

The Backpack

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
There's only ever been one man for Patrick. Paul was the six-year-old boy who kissed him after Patrick helped find his mom in a mall full of Christmas shoppers, the teenager who showed him kindness at Christmas when Patrick needed it most, and the lover who has shared his life after a chance meeting, three Christmases ago.

When Paul holds out the faded scrap of paper, Patri
Published December 8th 2010 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Backpack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backpack

Betryal
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I noticed some rated this low, but I'll explain why it got such a high rating with me. I found that the setup and the execution of the story was brilliant.

It's just to me the way the story has one man asking the other to marry him and it shifting between past and present day on how it came to that point. It's sad, but pulls the heart strings. The plot of how the man that was proposed to was the same throughout the years was completely romantic and I got absorbed although I truly wish this story
Deeze
In a few short pages the author tells a tale of despair mixed with hope, compassion and love.

Patrick will break your heart and Paul will help put it back together.

If I had a wish it would be that this was just a little longer. While it works very well as a short, there was one little unexplained detail. Namely Karen. But while I was curious as to how she came to be, it took nothing away from the main story.

This will go on my Xmas reads shelf and become a traditional read every year.

Recommended f
Vio
Very unusual you need to focus and maybe re-read bits as the continuous past and present tense flashbacks can be confusing. I finally did get the gist and enjoyed every moment. A very moving and emotional outcome quite beautiful in fact I loved it.
Tara
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, m-m, holiday
I think this was a good story that got lost in the telling. What I mean is that it was an interesting story, I think, but is was told in a flashback/flash forward with shifting tenses and it just got very jumbled for me. I feel like at the heart was a a sweet and heartwarming story of true love which appealed to me. I also spent some time feeling like I skipped a bunch of steps. The biggest one being, where did the child come from? I'd say give it a read, just be prepared for a little something ...more
Lucy
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The alternating pov took a little getting used to, but it worked for me. The story is a little sad, a little sweet and a lot hopeful. Romantic, in the guise of a six year old proclaiming who he was going to marry or the man terrified of his happiness once again being taken from him, was poignant.
Ami
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-short-stories
This story has a structure of second person and third person POV, as well as alternate past and present time, which might be confusing. Though, you might guess in the middle soon enough (considering it's only 37 pages). While I like the idea, but the structure of the story sort of taking away the enjoyment in reading it.
TracyG.
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This short story is so sweet even though it covers a teen on the streets. I really enj it and have read this at least 5 times.
D
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh god, I cried. Love stories like this.
Bookbee
Once I figured out the writing style - it jumps from past to present and back - I thoroughly enjoyed this heartwarming and touching (yes, I cried) tale.
Shelby
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this more if it wasn't for the alternating 2nd & 3rd person POV....especially since I can't stand 2nd person POV.
  • Something for Santa
  • The Best Christmas Ever
  • Xavier's Xmas
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #2)
  • First Christmas
  • Making His List
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Dulce et Decorum Est
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Every Time A Bell Rings (Wonderful Life #1)
  • Colin and Martin's First Christmas (Colin and Martin, #1)
  • A Lion in Tails (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Joys R Us
  • Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3)
  • A Gentleman's Agreement (Evergreen)
  • Needing A Little Christmas
Cranky middle-aged author with an addiction for coffee, and a passion for romancing two guys.
More about Sue Brown...