Start by marking “Now Write! Screenwriting: Screenwriting Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers” as Want to Read:

Now Write! Screenwriting: Screenwriting Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers (Now Write!)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
An essential handbook featuring never-before-published writing exercises from the acclaimed screenwriters of "Raging Bull, Ali, Terminator 2, Fame, Groundhog Day, Cape Fear, " "Lost," "True Blood," "The Shield," and many other hit films and television shows.
"Now Write! Screenwriting"-the latest addition to the "Now Write!" writing guide series-brings together the acclaim
Published January 1st 2011 by Tarcher (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Now Write! Screenwriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now Write! Screenwriting

StoryMapsDan
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am proud to be a contributor to this book and even I got a lot out of reading the various essays by so many top names in the industry! I love the way the book is organized by the elements of screenwriting and also in the ORDER of the writing process -- from concept generation to marketing your finished spec script.

Great book, and I'm not just saying that because I'm in there! :-) I'm humbled by my fellow contributors who have so many great credits and I thank them for their insight.

-Daniel Cal
Leoctso
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read, or tried to read a few screenwriting books before. This is the first one that breaks the craft down to different aspects to me in various fun exercises. I am by no means a writer yet. But for the first time I can feel the satisfactions when I write.
Luann Schindler
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic exercises to help novice - and even professional - screenwriters fine tune their skills.
Tiana
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, books-i-own
This book is the ultimate screenwriters handbook! I love how each chapter is short and has an exercise to help you lean what you just read about. Unlike other books on any writing, this book is easy and enjoyable to read. Each chapter is written by a different writer or author who have published books (or in this one, screenplays) we've actually heard of and love. I can't even begin to tell how much I've learned from this book. This book series belongs on every writers shelve!
Rachel Frank
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This book is filled with tips, commentary, and exercises from experts in the field of screenwriting from writers to literary agents. The book is broken down into sections with 10 different experts giving their insights in each topic area. It's great to read through cover to cover once to get tips and inspiration. Then it will be a great resource to go back to as you are at each stage of writing to help stir your creativity and refine your various drafts.
Sherrill Watson
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I counted, and have 58 yellow stickies in this library book. I'm renewing it, but I'm not sure THAT will be enough. I've read it twice. Gems on every page, most writers words were useful start to finish. I was "stuck" on a short story, and can now finish it. Can't recommend this book enough.
Heather Tobin
Jun 24, 2014
Guiding Star Cinema
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sherry Ellis was a writer, social worker, writing coach, and the originator of the Now Write! series of writing exercise books. She edited Now Write!, Now Write! Nonfiction, and coedited Now Write! Screenwriting with her niece, Laurie Lamson. Her author interviews were published in literary magazines and are anthologized in Illuminating Fiction. She passed away during the process of putting togeth ...more
More about Sherry Ellis...

Now Write! (5 books)
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • Now Write! Mysteries: Suspense, Crime, Thriller, and Other Mystery Fiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: Speculative Genre Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99