Start by marking “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories

(Sherlock Holmes)

No home library is complete without the classics! The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories brings together the essential works from Arthur Conan Doyle in an elegant, leather-bound, omnibus edition—a keepsake to be read and treasured.

There is one literary detective who stands above all others, whose powers of deduction are known the world over, whose influence can
Leather Bound, 1032 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Canterbury Classics (first published January 1st 1955)

Kimberly Total there are 1,050 pages, 18 of those are index and introduction about the author. 1,032 are the actual story-reading pages.
Kimberly I'm basing my information off of the Canterbury Classic version (since I own it) and it seems to contain MOST of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
The…more
The Barnes & Noble version says it contains the whole collection, so I looked up all the stories and manually compared them to my copy.

In the CC version, "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes" is missing. This section includes all of the following:

"The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone"
"The Problem of Thor Bridge"
"The Adventure of the Creeping Man"
"The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire"
"The Adventure of the Three Garridebs"
"The Adventure of the Illustrious Client"
"The Adventure of the Three Gables"
"The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier"
"The Adventure of the Lion's Mane"
"The Adventure of the Retired Colourman"
"The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger"
"The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place"

This might explain the page count difference between CC (1032) and B&N (1096).(less)

Fran
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes is an all time favorite of mine, and despite several others, I don't need to be in a particular mood in order to enjoy him. Several of the stories in this edition were favorites and others were brand new, so it was a wonderful combination, and balance of the two. The Copper Beeches read somewhat darker than anything I had ever read by him, and there were equally a large number of Gothic overtones in The Engineer's Thumb as well. Both stories were new and enjoyable in new ways bec ...more
Elevetha
Apr 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, classic, own
One of these days I'll get around to reading my glorious beautiful pretty pretty copy. One of these days....
Liz
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, classics
A great read, very intelligent. Obviously, the language is somewhat on the older side, but it's a great perspective on the world near the turn of the 20th century.
Alison
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed reading this (and even managed to guess some of the culprits) but it's taken me longer than usual to read so I guess I've not been riveted by it. Because it's a collection of stories rather than 1 long story I've not got caught up in it like I would normally do as a book progresses.
Charity
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! I have been converted to a Holmes fan.
Fantasy Lover
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was incredible.
Gaurav Kapoor
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a high lexile collection of the many mysteries solved by Sherlock Holmes. The book is through the view of John H. Watson, a veteran doctor who served in Afghanistan, as he follows Sherlock through the most complex and vexing cases that even the detectives of Scotland Yard fail to solve. Throughout many of the stories Sherlock shows Watson and the detectives of Scotland Yard what a man can do with the abili ...more
Lindsey Wang
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The moment I saw this book, I knew I needed to have it! It was a big book and a long read, but it really got me into the mystery genre!
julie
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Talycat45
Sep 16, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I chose The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes because it was a book I have heard of, but never read,so I though I would read it. I also believe it is around my reading level, but I do not actually know.
Pg. 11-Sherlock Holmes is very good at his detective job. He is very observant and has enough knowledge of a person's lifestyle to categorize who they probably are.
Dustin
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
These stories can be formulaic but it is a formula that works. One of their chief strengths is their brevity. These adventures are enjoyable because Watson distills the important elements into single-serving morsels without any filler. A novel-length version of the Red-Headed League would be painful but, as it is, it's amusing.

My one complaint is that the details Holmes uses to solve a case are not always described to the reader until he is offering his final explanation, precluding
Rebekah
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Hound of the Baskervilles was one of the best books that I have ever read. A Study in Scarlet, not so much--it had this enormous flashback that was admittedly interesting but incredibly disorienting.

Sherlock Holmes is really fun to read overall, although the character itself can be somewhat inconsistent--really sympathetic to victims in one story and dismissive in another, disdaining fame yet being famous, for example.

I'm probably going to commit some kind of foul by
Mark Congiusta
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2015
Sherlock Holmes: great fictional character?...or greatest fictional character? (Hint: greatest)
Peggy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it
i have only read the first story so far. entertaining, i'm sure i'll read the rest eventually.
Ostap Stasiuk
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best crime and adventure stories collection I've ever read.
Jessica Scott-Moore
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this edition! Really beautiful and I liked having all the stories in one book!
Andrew H
Matija
Feb 22, 2013
Serenity
Mar 26, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 3 21 Feb 20, 2018 12:58PM

• Jules Verne
  • The Romantic Poets
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • The Call of the Wild and Other Stories
  • Oliver Twist; A Tale of Two Cities; Great Expectations; A Christmas Carol
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview
  • The King with Six Friends
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • 名探偵コナン 47 (Detective Conan #47)
  • The Brothers Grimm Volume II: 110 Grimmer Fairy Tales
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. Hi

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
“What, indeed? It is art for art's sake, Watson.” 1 likes