Start by marking “Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership” as Want to Read:
Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership

Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  845 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In Horses Never Lie, renowned horse trainer Mark Rashid challenges the conventional wisdom of “alpha leadership” and teaches the reader to become a “passive
leader”—a counterpart to the kind of horse other members of a herd choose to
associate with and to follow. Applying Rashid’s principles and techniques helps
cultivate horse personalities that are responsive and dependable
Published July 6th 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published May 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Horses Never Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horses Never Lie

Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never had a quiet mind. Since the day I was born, my brain has been over-analyzing, over-thinking, over-stimulated, over-worked (mostly as a consequence of my own silly choices). And in that constant racing, it’s been easy to forget the importance of being still.

I find that I need books like this (and folks like Mark Rashid) to remind me to hush occasionally, and to simply be present in the moment. This is an especially important reminder when working with horses; often the quieter you are,
Shaun
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything written by Mark Rashid was recommended by the author of a book I recently read and quite enjoyed, so I ordered this particular book from Amazon.

Mr. Rashid is a renowned horse trainer who has years of experience working with both horses and people. He also just happens to be a very talented writer.

In a nutshell, the author makes a case for passive leadership, a phrase he has coined, and one which involves leadership that is less about control, power, and domination and more about buildin
Pete
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse
Horses Never Lie is a great book by Mark Rashid. Of late, I have been pulling books from my horse book case to read and review. I like the way Mark compares alpha and passive leaders in horses comparing to the way humans categorize behavior to the way we think.

If you raise horses from birth in a comfortable environment, it really works like raising children. Owner’s behavior in dealing with a horse to keep the trust does not always have to show who is dominant, but who is friend.

When I was an e
Safiya Florence
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, education
This book ranks among those that change my life and the way I approach people, problem and my relationship with my children - so to say that it is an important book is an understatement. I'm not sure it would be of interest or use to those who've never approached a horse and have no interest in them whatsoever, but I believe it would strike a cord in most of us who are moved by stories of men and women whose main concern is the welfare, happiness and growth of those around them, whether humans o ...more
Carol
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one day. It is interesting and the author has a great way of telling his stories. I would have liked just a bit more practical advice but I guess there are an overabundance of how-to books. As much as I love horses and working with them, there were a few times that I had to say, "really?"...
Shalyce
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who works with horses or just likes horses will enjoy this book. It also has good application for personal development outside of working with horses.
okyrhoe
"There's something about horses that we all need to understand -- their only real job in this world is to stay alive from one day to the next. Nothing else really matters."

At some point while reading Rashid's book, I realized the absurdity of what I was doing.
Here I am: a human being, specifically a human being who has had absolutely no interaction with horses (and hasn't made any plans to do so), is now reading a book about how to interact with horses.
It's a pretty strange ontological observa
Hannah
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chauntel Skye Gillilland
This book is exceedingly well written and an entertaining read, which sets it apart from most dry horse-training tomes. That said, it sometimes feels a little too dressed-up or inauthentic, especially if you are a serious horse person who is seeking to improve their own horsemanship.

Even so, Mark did make me think about horses and my own decisions as a horsewoman a little differently.
Peggy
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-books
“Any time you’re ready to fight with horses, they’ll always be willing to fight back.” A quote from Horses Never Lie that is so true and so simply stated. This is how the book is written all the way through. It’s like sitting on the couch with a cowboy having a leisurely conversation. Mark Rashid, a world renown horse trainer, shares his story and his knowledge. In each chapter a different concept is addressed through his life experiences. He tells of working as a boy for a person he refers to a ...more
Cora Lein
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ganz ehrlich, mir fehlen die Worte!

Wie oft sieht oder hört man von anderen Reitern / Trainern, dass Pferde eine “harte” Hand benötigen. Zucht und Ordnung mit Gewalt eingeprügelt wird / werden muss und ähnliches. Es geht auch anders!

Mark Rashid erzählt einen Teil seines Lebens, seiner Ausbildung. Er beschreibt wie es anders geht, als “sanfter” Führer.

Einfühlsam und mit großer Selbsterkenntnis nimmt er kein Blatt vor den Mund und schreibt seine Erfahrungen in der Pferdeausbildung, die ausschließli
Cora Lein
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ganz ehrlich, mir fehlen die Worte!

Jessica Seagreen
On receiving this book as a gift from my husband I was somewhat surprised to discover that Horses Never Lie is a recollection of the author's experiences with horses; from his initial contact with them as a child followed through by his work with them throughout his adult life, rather than the handbook of techniques that I was expecting.

An enjoyable, heart-warming and inspiring read that is perfect if you are looking for a nice collection of short stories with pearls of wisdom strung throughout.
Nadine
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Despite me having once attended a clinic by Monty Roberts and loving him for his desire to be non-violent to horses, I felt I needed or wanted another approach. One that wouldn't apply psychological pressure on the horse. Therefore I was keen to see what Mark Rashid would say and I like that he doesn't go on about any techniques, because I guess you have to find the right one for yourself and the horse you ride, but it's more a philosophical approach. Trust. Understanding. Ackn ...more
Nancy
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this with my sister. She will be better able to put these lessons into practice with her horse. She felt like she noticed a difference right away. I really appreciated the down to earth practical common sense approach to communication with one's horse. I did wonder how this philosophy might work with dogs since I don't have a horse. Mark Rashid's storytelling style is very relaxed and readable. I found it hard to put down. I had both the Audible audio and Kindle versions sync a ...more
Dian
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book and the narration is pretty terrible--super slowly read and way over annunciated; I had to listen to it at 1.5x speed to be able to listen and take in the content of the book. That said, I really enjoyed the content. Each story that was about a horse and its owner/trainer/random stranger learning how to communicate with the animal effectively can be translated to simply learning how to communicate more effectively in our real lives, whether with peopl ...more
Lesley Lodge
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
I bought the kindle version of this book because the title intrigued me. It certainly didn't disappoint. I've had some behavioral problems with my mare - this book really opened a window into the horse's viewpoint AND gave me some ways forward for dealing with the problems. One of the things that struck me was the emphasis the author puts on taking some time to let the horse figure things out. I think that's crucial. This book, by the way - in case you've read earlier works by Mark Rashid - is a ...more
Nanette J.
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rashid is one of the better horse training book authors I've read. He's is in a select group of contemporary equestrian trainers publishing books that point out each horse is different so formula approaches don't work very well if your intent is to build a partnership. He's also a decent writer (an unusual skill among equestrian professionals), helping to bring the stories contained and lessons learned to the reader in an enjoyable fashion. I was looking for specific ideas to implement in reachi ...more
Carolyn Crough
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My horse is my friend

Because my horse is my Friend, I want to make certain my perspective lines up with that fact.
I want to continue a great relationship with my horse whether we are just hanging out together or if I ask something of him. Mark brings it all together, well rounded and balanced from many years of experience, for the reader to be able to accomplish that precise goal.
Anne Swan
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started to read this book, I flashed back my youth reading Walter Farley horse stories. Then I realized that while the style was unsophisticated, it had a spare beauty. One that almost hid the rather complex lessons in horse and human behavior. You can read it as a series of stories from a gentle old horse trainer, or learn more about getting along with family, co-workers, and friends than a pile of self-help business books.
Sally
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with lots of good information. One thing that really annoyed me with horse owners discussed in this book is how they hit and beat their horses and expect the horse to respect and even like them! Where did these people learn the idea that abuse earns respect and/or affection?! I always rooted for the horse!!
Tracie
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of Mark Rashid's books, and will write a general review..... Of all the horse related books I've read, and there have been many, these are the ones that I have been able to learn from and implement the most. And they are fun reads even for those who do not own or train horses. Lots of stories and antidotes. And I like his band's cd also.
Tamilyn White
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...which is why they make incredible partners in psychotherapy and self awareness. just try to approach a horse in the pasture with anger. mmhmm. like that chase game? now take a minute to get in touch with what you are feeling, relax, breathe deeply and feel the ground underneath you. difference, right?
Daron Yondem
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-learn
Somehow I was expecting more reflections from all animal world centric examples to the world of people. It did not happen at the level of my expectation. Nevertheless the book is a very good read. I can imagine most of the practices be easily applicable while raising a kid.
Lynda
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Partnership in horse training

The author shares his life from child to adult with experiences in training by learning the way a horse thinks and using that as a tool for partnership with the animal/friend.
SJ
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't ridden a horse in years, much less owned one. But this was cheap and I miss riding so much, I gave it a go. Lovely stories and words worth remembering as much for leaders of people as for leaders of horses.
Annika
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I very much like Rashids approach to horse training and it seems as well, that he is very successful with it. It shows that there is also a real companionship possible between horse and rider.
I really do admire him for his insights and way of horse training.
Emmi
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has just been moved to my top favorite books list. Wow! Not only did I love the way he wrote the book but I love how powerful his message was. I now see horse training and trust in a whole new light. Thank you Mark!
Aimee.jean
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has revolutionised the way I work with horses, it gives insight into what I believe to be the best way to manage and gain love and respect from horses. Amazing, a must read for all equestrians.
Corien
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
If I'll ride again, Mark Rashid's way of thinking has changed the way I'll ride.
  • Centered Riding
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • The Nature of Horses
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Inspirational Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Equus: The Creation of a Horse
Mark Rashid (pronounced RASH-id) is an internationally acclaimed horse trainer known for his ability to understand the horse’s point of view and solve difficult problems with communication rather than force. He began working with horses at age ten, when he met the “old man,” who taught him to work with horses, not against them, and to listen to what the horse is trying to say. Mark’s clinics cente ...more
More about Mark Rashid...

“Once I quit fighting with him and began rewarding his efforts to respond to my cues, he became extremely willing to do what I was asking. The fight and confusion just seemed to melt away,” 1 likes
“After working with that gelding, I made a much bigger effort to look for and find the tries that my horses offered during training or any other time, for that matter. In doing so, I quickly found just how much I had been missing in the simple communication between my horses and myself. For instance, I noticed that my horses often tried to respond to my cues much sooner than I’d ever imagined. Often times they would respond even before I had actually applied the cue, a pretty scary thought in and of itself. The other thing I noticed was that very often the try was so subtle that, had I not been paying attention, I would have missed it altogether. As a result, I was forced to become much more aware of what my horses were doing at all times, not just when I was asking something from them.” 1 likes