Start by marking “Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)

Pocket-47

(Nicholas Colt #2)

Fifteen-year-old Brittney Ryan has taken to the streets. Leitha, her older sister and legal guardian, hires private investigator Nicholas Colt to find her and bring her home. Piece of cake, Colt thinks. With Brittney's forbidden boyfriend's address in hand, he plans to make a surprise visit and put this one in the scrapbook. But something more sinister is behind Brittney's ...more
Published May 2nd 2011 by Oceanview Publishing (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket-47, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket-47

jv poore
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Pocket-47 begins with a seldomly-employed, rarely-compensated Private Investigator (Nicholas Colt) accepting an apparently run-of-the-mill case. Despite Colt's prickly personality and unapologetic smart-aleck comments and mannerisms, he quickly becomes endearing to the reader. His passion and commitment to his new client allow glimpses of the kind and generous heart Colt has tried so hard to harden.

It becomes apparent that the case is so much more than Colt could have imagined. As the body coun
Darcia Helle
This book had me hooked right from the start. Nicholas Colt was a happy, successful musician, until the day he lost his band, his wife, and his baby daughter in a plane crash. He survives and somehow stumbles into a less than stellar career as a private investigator. When he is hired to find a fifteen-year-old runaway, he expects the case to be quick and easy money. But each step he takes drags him deeper into a tangled mess.

Nicholas is flawed and driven by emotions even he refuses to acknowledg
Jeffrey
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thriller and detective fans of hard hitting action
Shelves: read-in-2011, mystery
Pocket-47 by Jude Hardin introduces us to Nicholas Colt, a stylish private eye, in this searing bullet of a novel. It’s a quick 222 page slice of tough Florida life and also a descent into a private compound of white supremacists where the murder of innocents and the drugging of the inhabitants is de rigueur. In any PI book, there are three essentials, characters, plot and dialogue. This book scores a 10 in each category. A rare triple play.

Colt is a down on his luck PI, who used to be a great g
Joe  Noir
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! Really very good. If you like the hardboiled stuff give this a try. Two novels worth of action in one book. Suspense, violence, mystery, and a great hero who makes the occasional mistake. Plus, laugh out loud humor in high tension moments, just like real life. A blast from start to finish.
Deborah
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Longer ago then I would like to remember I picked up a book with an odd name. I read it. I loved it. I told my mother she had to read this author as well. She read it. She loved it. The book was “The Godwulf Manuscript” and the author ended up writing a few more books, all of which I devoured, and loved, along with the rest of Robert B. Parker’s works.

The late Parker, and the amazingly productive Lawrence Block who writes, amongst other series, those about the fascinating Matthew Scudder, gave
David
May 10, 2011 added it
Synopsis from Publisher's website:

Twenty years after crawling from the fiery wreckage of a chartered jet and witnessing his wife and daughter perish, private investigator Nicholas Colt makes a horrifying discovery while tracking a runaway teenage girl.

Fearing for her life because of some incriminating evidence she stumbled upon, fifteen-year-old Brittney Ryan takes to the streets. Colt is hired to find her, but soon finds himself in an ever-widening maze of deceit and betrayal.

Determined to save
Kevin
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
ehhhh...started off good then got more and more unbelievable and corny as it progressed. by the end i was mostly ready to be done with it.
Satrajit Sanyal
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pocket-47 is another excellent read in the Nicholas Colt Thriller series. Once again the characters are richly developed with the villains being as nasty as any I have ever read. The good guys are very human by that I mean they have good intentions but sometimes do wretched things in order to reach what his protagonist considers to be the just end. Colt is written as a complex person with a mostly good heart, questionable moral character, and a desperate need solve the injustices of his life and ...more
Belinda Fry
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Changed directions towards 3/4 of book. Really strange.
Loretta K. Allen
A real page turner

This is the first boo I have read by this author. The characters are very real and captivating
The story keeps you reading until it is told!
Brucie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Would be better as a graphic novel, since the characters, plot, and situations are cartoons without much realism.
Ronald Sivertson
Easy read, main character has humor and is likable

Road trip of adventure not predictable . Writing style nice and compact. plausibility may be bit questionable but enjoyed read.
Josh Smith
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of Family Guy. There was a plot and the plot was going well. Halfway through the story everything changes and it feels like an entirely different plot.
I still devoured this one. I love the length of these books. So far all of them have been finished within 2 and a half hours. The next in the series is sitting on my Kindle right now, waiting for me. Private investigator Nicholas Colt is given a job to find a missing child. Things seem to go well at first but before he knows
Claire
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, young-adult
Wow. This book was more than I expected.
The first page was not a great beginning for me. Probably because I was so confused.
"...exercised the first.""...busy with the second.""I never quite mastered the third."
That's what got me so confused, are they terms that have to do with guns?
The next page and after that was great. The action was there, events started rolling, and the ball just never stopped. It didn't get slower, only faster, which wasn't a problem.
Around the middle, thinking back to what
Mike
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Pocket-47

After getting through about ten percent of this book, I couldn't discern any reason to keep going. Neither the characters nor the plot grabbed my interest, and the writing is pure pot boiler. Perhaps I'll pick it up later and have a more charitable view of it. If so, I'll revise this review.

A note about my grading system. I rate books within their genres, as there is no point in comparing a self help book to a book of poems or a work of history. This is true within genres, and a four st
Douglas Dorow
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jude Hardin introduces us to Nicholas Colt, who reminded me of Jim Rockford from the Rockford Files. Colt is a private investigator living in a trailer, spending his free time fishing, minding his own business, but that’s where the comparison ends. There’s no Angel, no Beth, no Rocky and the story doesn’t take place in California.

Pocket 47 is a first person story, with Nicholas Colt, a PI who takes on a case in Florida to find a missing person. His investigation takes him into a private compound
Douglas Cook
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it

First paragraphs
My stepfather taught me three important survival skills: how to use a baitcaster reel, how to filet a bass, and how to adjust for the kick of a .44 magnum. I had gotten up at six a.m. and exercised the first. By nine, I stood under the shade of a loblolly pine, busy with the second. I never quite mastered the third. That’s why I carry a .38. I wore khaki shorts, no shirt, a pair of Top-Siders, and a ball cap that said Guinness. Typical north Florida fishing attire. I scraped the
Randy
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty years ago, Nicholas Colt had led a southern rock band, was married, with a daughter. Then the plane went down, killing his family, his band, and his career. He left music behind. These days he works as a private eye.

When Leitha Ryan hires him to find her runaway little sister, fifteen year old Brittney. He accepts the job at a flat rate and actually locates the girl fairly quickly. Brittney doesn't want to talk at first, only saying she'd left because they were going to kill her.

Who were
Kathy
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book from the moment I began reading it! Debut author Jude Hardin has made a great impression on me with Pocket-47. A great cast of characters inhabit this fast moving crime thriller. Florida Private Investigator Nicholas Colt specializes in missing persons and runaways. He is also a former famous musician whose wife and infant daughter along with the members of his band died in a plane crash twenty years ago. The memories of all of them continue to haunt him to this day. W ...more
Jillian
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jillian by: First Reads
Shelves: first-reads
Thank you to First Reads because I wasn't aware of Jude Hardin before I saw Pocket 47 on the First Reads list.
Jude Hardin is an awesome writer. By the end of the first chapter (actually the first paragraph) I was hooked. The writing style of this book is virtually on a personal level between the main character Nicholas and the reader. I enjoyed the easy style of writing and the humour mixed with twists, turns, violence and intrigue. I am eagerly waiting for the next Nicholas Colt novel. Highly
Ben
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this novel very much. It was the Kindle special of the day so I picked it up for a cheap price. It was a quick read so I appreciated that it did not drag on, but the style of writing was not my favorite. I should also mention that I read it entirely on my iphone which may have affected my reaction. Parts of the book were well paced but it did not live up to my expectations.
Karen
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Nicholas Colt is a PI that is out of money when a women asks him to help find her missing sister Brittany. He takes on the job and discovers that it is linked to the plane crash that killed his band members, wife and daughter years earlier.
This is a pretty basic mystery, with way to much swearing and a mushy outcome.
Beverly E. McWhirk
Good Action Adventure

The action is non-stop. At 45 years of age, Nicholas Colt is a PI who we can all identity with. One could say that it's fictionalized realism. His problems, fears, hopes, and emotions are appropriate for most of us. This may not be great literature but it's sure a good read!
Frank
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Reasonable story line for a 220 page mystery. Since I lived in the area, I was interested in the realism of the description of the Jacksonville, FL area,and that held up well. I do think Nicholas Colt is a little over the top with a little too much action but hey, it's fiction.
Bob Olson
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing

My first book by this author -- but not my last.
Very fast-paced plot makes it a quick read because it is hard to put down.

I like the North Florida setting. Makes the story and the characters unique.
Paul Penney
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! It has plenty of action and mystery, a good writing style paced to maintain interest, and a great sense of humor. The main character is likeable and heroic, like Myron Bolitar or Elvis Cole. I can't wait to read the next in this series :)
Chris Reid
I like the idea - sort of a slacker, ex-rock star detective. Detective by necessity not by choice. Good sense of Florida color and people. I would have preferred the plot to be a bit more direct and less contrived. The ex-Seal as one of the major bad guys didn't work for me.
Barbara
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an Amazon daily deal and once I read the description of the book it sounded like it would be a great read. While I liked the book I did not find it to be a great read. I got the book for $1.99 so it was worth it.
Kristina Franken
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like the book. It had a good plot and plot twists. A tad pridictatble. This was an easy read for me. I finished it in a few hours once I had a chance to sit and read it.

I recieved this book for free and am in no way bound to give a positive review nor did I recieve any monetary compansation.
Marsha
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Pocket-47 by Jude Hardin is a very well written book. The story line(s), characters, and descriptions are solid and consistent. It is very full and complete. It just didn't pull me in. I knew the ending from the beginning, so it lacked the suspense that I am used to in a murder mystery.
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Resuscitation (Sami Rizzo #2)
  • Nazareth Child (Del Shannon, #1)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • One More River
  • Drift Away (Noah Braddock, #4)
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Chicago Lightning: The Collected Nathan Heller Short Stories (Nathan Heller Short Stories, #3)
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • Caliber Detective Agency Case Files 1-6
  • Claw Back (Louis Kincaid, #10.5)
  • King City

Nicholas Colt (8 books)
  • Colt (Nicholas Colt, #1)
  • Crosscut
  • Snuff Tag 9
  • Rattled (A Nicholas Colt Story)
  • Key Death
  • Blood Tattoo
  • Sycamore Bluff (Nicholas Colt)