Start by marking “La casa stregata” as Want to Read:
La casa stregata

La casa stregata

Le due opere raccolte in questo volume, La casa stregata e L'orrore di Dunwich, sono universalmente considerate tra le migliori scritte da Lovecraft. Creatore e caposcuola incontestato del filone dell'Orrore Soprannaturale, fa risalire le radici della sua narrativa ai recessi più oscuri e nascosti dell'animo umano, ai dubbi e alle angosce che invano cerchiamo di reprimere.
Paperback, TEN - Centopaginemillelire #56, 95 pages
Published March 1st 1993 by Newton Compton (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about La casa stregata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La casa stregata

Start your review of La casa stregata
Bill Kerwin

Written in October of 1924, "The Shunned House" is not only Lovecraft's best early novella but also one of the two watershed works which mark his transition to the themes and style of his mature period. As such, it is not only a pleasure to read but also an important work for anyone who is interested in the development of H.P. Lovecraft the writer.

It was written during the early period of his marriage, when Lovecraft and his wife were living in Brooklyn and he had already become uneasy--but not
Alejandro
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the Shunned House!

GHOSTBUSTERS - NEW ENGLAND STYLE

135 Benefit Street. Providence, Rhode Island. It’s a real house that you can find even nowdays (2017) at the said address, and it’s the scenario of this really spooky tale, that H.P. Lovecraft knew well since his aunt lived there for a while.

However, while he chose this real house for the scenario, it was another real house at Elizabeth, New Jersey, the inspiration for the narrative.

A man and his uncle, are doing a paranormal
Peter
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
In this story you will do some research together with the first person narrator why the dilapidated house in Benefit Street is shunned and regarded as uncanny. You will hear everything about the families who lived there, come to know, that Poe walked by this house and in the second section of this longer story you will stay at night in this scary building. What is the reason behind the inexplicable death of relatively many people? Why did they wither away at that place? You learn about the ...more
Leonard Gaya
This novelette was written by the young H.P. Lovecraft around the same time as The Rats in the Walls (1924), and published, likewise, in an issue of Weird Tales. There is a significant similarity of inspiration between these two tales: here too, there is a decrepit old house, foul smells, obscene fungous growths suffocating the foundations, unknown dangers lurking in putrid shadows, chillings myths.

Whereas The Rats was probably inspired by Poe’s Fall of the House of Usher, The Shunned House,
Dante
"The horror was gone".
Jason Koivu
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Not Lovecraft's best and probably mostly of interest to fans only, but still, this early work contains some nuggets of the delicious fright-writing he would become known for. By the end of The Shunned House I was riveted to the narrative. Lovecraft rewards those with the patience to stick with the first two-thirds of this novella with a gloriously grotesque description of a wonderfully heinous creature. The writing remains distant and analytical, but by now we're in it to win it with our hero ...more
Krystal
Errrr ... yep okay this one is weird.

At first it just seemed like another eerie, atmospheric tale about a spooky old house, but then there was the conjecture about what was causing this house to be so evil and ... well, let's just say that it won me over in the end.

It took its time getting to the fun stuff, for a short story, but it was totally worth it in the end.

I don't feel like it's particularly groundbreaking, but it certainly ended on a unique note.

My first Lovecraft story, but certainly
Bettie

#11: 4* Tales of Men and
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Shunned House is a story of centuries old curse hanging over the house at 135 Benefit Street, Providence. Something horrible happened in the late 1600s and since then no child has ever been born in the house.
The narrator tells a story of his childhood curiosity that later became almost an obsession. He researched the history of the house and even though he wasn't a superstitious man, he came to believe that there are certain things in this world that can't be easily explained.
Jo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is my first read by Lovecraft, and I can now say it certainly will not be my last. I realise it's just a short story, but it is the only Lovecraft work, I could physically get my hands on at this moment.
The style of his writing is most exquisite, although, I didn't think the actual plot flowed as easy as it should have.

"There are horrors beyond horrors, and this was one of those nuclei of all dreamable hideousness which the cosmos saves to blast an accursed and unhappy few"

The author has an
Lou
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daemons and houses a concoction for a tale of terror from thee master Lovecraft.

"We boys used to overrun the place, and I can still recall my youthful terror not only at the morbid strangeness of sinister vegetation, but at the eldritch atmosphere and odour of the dilapidated house, whose unlocked front door was often entered in quest of shudders. The small-paned windows were largely broken, and a nameless air of desolation hung round the precarious panelling, shaky interior shutters, peeling
Sam Quixote
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a house that has a gothic creepiness to it and which has been around for centuries with a history of death and madness. In other words, exactly the kind of house HP Lovecraft would write about.

But this isn't Lovecraft at his best. He writes about the history of the house with boring detail, going into the lives of its occupants too much, talking ambiguously about how they died mysteriously and hinting of evil below the surface. This goes on for most of the book until the
Jen (Book Den)
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
If you are looking for a book to read this October, The Shunned House is an excellent choice. I could not have kicked off this month any better.

"We never - even in our wildest Halloween moods - visited this cellar by night."

The Shunned House is a house on Benefit Street where a large number of people passed away. Due to the smells, the humid environment, and the amount of fungus present in the house, it was declared to simply have "unhealthy" conditions. At worst, the house was deemed "unlucky".
Mir
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lovecrafty
The concept of the toxic locality is interesting, the detailed history not so much.
I found the death of the poor old uncle more moving than the supposed horror itself. Although I was amused that (view spoiler) Very practical
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
The Shunned Houseby H.P. Lovecraft is a novella about an actual house in Providence, Rhode Island but Lovecraft's inspiration to write the story came from another house in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The story is about a doctor and his nephew. They've been fascinated with this house because so many strange things have occurred there over the years and so many people have died or became sick after staying there. In hopes of getting to the root of the evil, they both stay overnight in the house with ...more
Megan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I spent the majority of this story thinking "It's totally mold. They need to clean this house out."

As with most (all?) of his stories, HP Lovecraft spends so much time trying to shove your face in creepiness that there isn't really much story to speak of underneath the copious descriptions of grim grime. It's 90% build-up, 10% dissatisfying reveal and 100% description.
Char
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic Lovecraft tale with a little paranormal investigation. Fun stuff.
Isa Lavinia
These 48 pages felt like 480.
Henrik
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I've just reread it, and was surprised how good I thought it was. Better than I remembered. sure, not HPL's best by a long shot but not bad either. HPL takes his time building atmosphere, blending everything with his antiquatianism, which is quite cool. And it certainly is an unusual vampire story... of sorts;-)
Obsidian
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a great short story that I loved from beginning to end. A perfect way to start off anyone's Halloween reading.

We follow a narrator from the 1915s who begins to tell of his and his uncle's obsession with an abandoned house located in Providence, Rhode Island. The narrator and his uncle become intrigued with the house because they are starting to realize a pattern of deaths associated with the house.

Though the story is quite slow to start, one realizes that our narrator is almost
Oliver Holm
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Out of the fungus-ridden earth steamed up a vaporous corpse-light, yellow and diseased, which bubbled and lapped to a gigantic height in vague outlines half-human and half-monstrous, through which I could see the chimney and fireplace beyond. It was all eyes—wolfish and mocking—and the rugose insect-like head dissolved at the top to a thin stream of mist which curled putridly about and finally vanished up the chimney."

On 135 Benefit St., Providence, Rhode Island, lies the actual ‘shunned house
Siobhan
This was my first Lovecraft read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know, starting with a short story is not the place to start – yet it is what I managed to get my hands on. I wasn’t about to turn it down due to the fact it is not one of his big hits. A read by Lovecraft – any read – was going to be devoured so I could find out what he was about and whether I wished to continue on to read more.

It is safe to say, I will be reading more.

Short stories never really give you everything there is to know
Simon
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What a perfect and down right scary story by Lovecraft. It might be a surprise to some to learn that Lovecraft's stories are often not that scary. You have his dream cycle stories that are creepy and atmospheric and his cosmic horrors (usually his most famous) that are scary in a more cerebral way but a few of them are just plain scary in a somewhat more conventional sense and this is a prime example of those.

Here is Lovecraft's stab at a vampire story but get any of those usual vampire tropes
Marts  (Thinker)
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, horror
Listened to a Librivox recording of this Lovecraft tale which was actually inspired by a house in Providence, Rhode Island built around the 1700's... In the tale the protagonist and his uncle Dr. Whipple decide to investigate this old house in which it has been reported over time that the occupants have either become sick or died... After a terrific turn of events the horror is eventually realised...
Abubakar Mehdi
The style is very impressive, the story is good too. Could have been more scary if the fiend was burgundy or scarlet rather than yellow.
Vanessa Crooks
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is captivating, Lovecraft does a good job of setting up the mood for a mysterious, creepy story that feels real and plausible. The reason it took me so long to read, despite how short the story is, is because of the format. It's printed in a large page format, larger than most novels are printed in, so paragraphs are very wide and it becomes difficult to read. I would not recommend this edition to anyone, to be honest when I purchased it from Amazon I didn't read in detail how the ...more
Jay Outhier
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delirium-inducing dirty-bomb of a haunted house story devoid of all of Lovecraft's weaknesses- (misfiring and repetitive qualifications, plodding information dumps, flecks of racism in the protoplasmic goo) and packed with all his strengths- (evocation of ignorance eroding into dread, kaleidoscopic menace, shattered comprehension and a mystery that is, mercifully, fathomed rather than solved). Quite possibly his best story.
Darcysmom
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this delightfully creepy story using Serial Reader.
The setting, language, and tone of The Shunned House set the reader up for a scare that is a chilling slow burn. Lovecraft is a master at horror for a reason - each moment is fraught with potential for terror, which keeps the reader on the edge and unable to relax.
If a reader is expecting in your face scares, then a recalibration of what is scary may be necessary to get the most out of Lovecraft. I enjoy allowing myself to sink into the
Nancy
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A house with a very dark history slowly starts to show signs of decay and age in its walls and hinges. We see the slow struggle of the family that owns it to tell the history, learn with it and try to change it little by little so it could be ready for new people.
The story build up tension and leaves you wanting more and more and more.
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
2.75

It pains me to rate a book that low. It appears to me that I am not a huge fan of vintage horror (Lovecraft, Poe). I think I prefer modern fright fiction (King, Koontz).

I'm glad I gave Lovecraft another go however. And I'm glad I finished the novella. I'm in the midst of a Poe collection right now. I hope I can finish that as well.
Around the Year i...: The Shunned House, by H.P.Lovecraft 1 13 Mar 23, 2016 10:28PM

• The Music of Eric Zahn
  • The Colour Out of Space
  • The Death of Halpin Frayser
  • The Case of Lady Sannox
  • An Inhabitant of Carcosa
  • Worms of the Earth (Bran Mak Morn)
  • Silence: A Fable
  • The Imp of the Perverse
  • The Wendigo
  • Ubbo-Sathla
  • One Summer Night
  • The Glamour of the Snow
  • The Space-Eaters
  • The Mezzotint
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
“I say alone, for one who sits by a sleeper is indeed alone; perhaps more alone than he can realise.” 4 likes
“for one who sits by a sleeper is indeed alone; perhaps more alone than he can realize.” 3 likes