Start by marking “City Primeval: High Noon In Detroit” as Want to Read:
City Primeval: High Noon In Detroit

City Primeval: High Noon In Detroit

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,691 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Ride down Woodward Avenue into the Motor City, toward a deadly show-down between dedicated homicide detective Raymond Cruz and a psychopathic murderer, Oklahoma Wildman Clement Mansell, who picked the wrong town to kill someone, even if it was only a crooked judge.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about City Primeval, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Primeval

Dan Schwent
Career criminal Clement Mansell killed a crooked judge and the only witness to the crime, the judge's girlfriend. Now, detective Raymond Cruz is trying to pin the crime on Clement but Clement is the slipperiest of worms. Cruz and Clement are heading for a showdown that only one of them will walk away from...

As of this writing, I've read 15 Elmore Leonard novels. Many of them have the same sort of rhythm. The bad guys are slick, the good guys are slicker, and you wind up liking most of them to so
Darwin8u
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fight, bleep, or hold the flashlight"
- Elmore Leonard, "Impressions of a Murder"

description

This novel was tight as a futtock shroud, smooth as Mai Noi silk, sharp as the turns on Col de Braus, and hard as a boiled egg. I finish reading Elmore Leonard and I want to be him, just for a second. Now look: Chandler, Cain and Hammett are absolutely the Holy Trinity of crime; the Father, Son and Holy Ghosts of Noir. Leonard, however, is both the Word and death's echo. He is the ultimate end, the great inevitable
Paul Bryant
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a good salary and a smart house, must be in want of a bonkfest from someone in the law enforcement business.

And she duly gets one around the halfway point in this novel, so we have a couple of paragraphs featuring words like arching and thrusting and gasps and so forth.

It’s another universal truth that authors believe to their very soul that the hero and the bad guy have to have a one on one showdown. Elmore Leonard alm
Lauren
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Like the Detroit in which it takes place, City Primeval has a slick, modern surface and an undercurrent that's more, well, primeval: this is a novel about sophisticated legal defense maneuvers, patient police investigation, honor bound by blood, and Old West shootouts.

Professional dirtbag Clement Mansell, always one or two steps ahead of where people expect him to be (among other things, the Oklahoma accent throws them off), has a lethal blend of practicality, ingenuity, and impulsiveness that c
Marc Weidenbaum
A friend heard I'd never read a book by Elmore Leonard. He knew I'd been reading the Parker series by Donald Westlake, who wrote them under the name Richard Stark. I was up to number nine in the Parker series, when a package arrived in the mail -- two cheap paperbacks of Leonard novels, the sort of slim volumes that fit easily in the back pocket of a pair of jeans -- sent by my Leonard-liking friend. I dove immediately into City Primeval, which is subtitled High Noon in Detroit.

I'm only really
Bam
#2016-usa-geography-challenge: MICHIGAN

I hereby declare that Elmore Leonard was a great crime novelist. Oh, you already knew that? Yes, I am new to his novels, but better late than never, right?

In Elmore's first book set in Detroit, rotten and despicable Recorder's Court Judge Alvin B. Guy is gunned down in his big Lincoln and acting police lieutenant Raymond Cruz and the homicide squad wonder which of the long list of his enemies might have had him killed, especially after he declared he could
Julie
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a library sale I attended about a month ago. I had never heard of this book by Leonard. It was published in 1980 and only has 221 pages. This is a gritty crime novel set in Detroit. This is classic Elmore Leoanard. Tough, hardboiled crime drama with lots of quirky off beat characters and dialogue.
I think this may have been one of Leonard's first forays into writing crime and his later novels are really a lot better, but this was a fascinating read.
A crafty criminal,Clem
Susan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got interested in reading Elmore Leonard because he is one of 20 writers for the 6-season FX series “Justified” (2010-2015) Don and I love. The main character U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens is based on the character originally appearing in Leonard’s novels “Pronto” and “Riding the Rap.” Later, Leonard wrote the short story “Fire in the Hole,” that’s the inspiration for the “Justified” series.

I found “City Primeval” (1980) just sitting, unread, on my bookshelves along with another four Leonard titl
Keith
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As telegraphed by the title, City Primeval is an urbanized, big city western. Detroit police detective Raymond Cruz, a street-wise, plain spoken and analytical lawman becomes entangled in an intricate dance of violence with Clement Mansell, a “Billy the Kid” character who loves the game of cops and robbers and is so good at it that he’s managed to escape every murder rap that he has ever faced,--and several murders that he hasn’t had to face—a total of nine in all. Clement ultimately offers Cruz ...more
T.W. Dittmer
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Fun read, like all of Leonard's work.
Tony
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CITY PRIMEVAL: High Noon in Detroit. (1980). Elmore Leonard. ****.
The Library of America has recently issued “Four Novels of the 1980s” by Elmore Leonard. It is a great excuse for me to re-read these after almost thirty years. I can recall the broad outlines of the plots, but the details have gone the way of lots of other things over the years. In this ‘Detroit’ novel, Leonard immediately drops you into the middle of his story. It will take you a few chapters to figure out what is going on, but
Allan MacDonell
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit is from that dark period of Elmore's career when his novels contained more menace than humor. The realities on City Primeval are harsh, and the view is unblinking and succinctly delivered. No word is wasted, and every sentence is rich in narrative drive, essential information and characterization—this goes double for the dialogue.

Learning writers are drawn to Elmore Leonard because his prose has so much to teach. Lesson number one: Make sure the reader is grat
Ashok Banker
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best crime novels ever. Some of Leonard's best dialogue - and that's saying a lot, because Leonard has probably never written dialogue that isn't damn great, but here he outdoes himself. The sheer amount of authentic detail, right down to the repeated racist slurs, misogyny and bigotry is impressive - few authors today would dare to keep that much, I think. Yet it's all in service to the authenticity of the characters and you never once mistake the characters' bias for the author's, s ...more
Jamie
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thumbs up. From that late 70’s-early 80’s era of Elmore’s I love so much. Raymond Cruz in a lot of ways seems like a proto-Bryan Hurd yet this story takes very different turns. Love the ending. Plus the bit with the Armenians. It gets where you think it’s going but not how you think it’s going to get there. Will probably move even higher up the list on re-read.
Bobbi
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
There's something so perfectly satisfying about his books - you don't always know where he's going, but you know he'll get there the right way and not let you down.
This book is, in almost every way, more a western than a procedural. At the same time, it is exactly a procedural. The blend of the two makes so much sense I'm surprised it's the first one I've read of its kind. At the same time, who could do it more perfect justice than Leonard?
Jessica
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, midwest, 1001
It speaks to Leonard's strength as a writer that this book, which is about as old as I am, still feels fresh and taut today. He doesn't stint on the development of good or bad guys, which is a welcome relief from the many writers who skip this crucial step.
AC
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Excellent. I'll give it 4 & 1/2, but from the 5 side.
Carl R.
This is an old Elmore Leonard. 1980. Subtitled High Noon in Detroit, City Primeval treats the urban cops and robbers drama as a combination of modern law enforcement and frontier justice. I’m sure Leonard must have used the police detective-protagonist, Raymond Cruz, in other novels, though this is the first time I’ve seen him. He’s unique. Hard-boiled, taciturn, yet conflicted and vulnerable. He gets involved with an equally interesting and complex criminal defense attorney who, three years bef ...more
Leftbanker
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If everyone did their job half as well as Elmore Leonard does, this would be a better world. What Elmore Leonard does is write crime fiction mostly about little shit-heel, two-bit criminals who aren’t as smart as they often think they are, like in the case of Clement Mansell. Throw in a tireless police detective determined to bring Mansell down for murdering a judge, a beautiful defense attorney in over her head, and various other oddballs and sidekicks and you have a fun read as are all of his ...more
Dianne Emley
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I'm just starting to read Elmore Leonard and picked up this one as it was supposed to be among his best. Don't have enough background to compare with his other works, but it held up for me. Could have been written yesterday. Complex characters. Witty and dark dialogue. Loved the scene where the detective is questioning the murderer's girlfriend while an episode of The Newlywed Game is playing on TV. Brilliant, brilliant.
Janet Aileen
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clean, crisp dialog, excellent character development, and engrossing plot served to us by an accomplished author. Elmore Leonard knows westerns, suspense, and the grittiness of Detroit. References to Carl's Chop House and Coney Island hot dogs took me back to I a place I lived in years ago.
Spencer Abbott
Billed as "High Noon in Detroit", this police neo-procedural does rely heavily on classic Hollywood Western archetypes, sometimes a bit on the heavy-handed side (i.e. not very subtle with the allusions; although instead of actually following the plot of High Noon, the Gregory Peck film, The Gunfighter, is referenced more). A little convoluted with the cast of characters, one needs to pay attention when reading to keep some of the happenings straight. Overall, in the Leonard pantheon, it's rife w ...more
Kay
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gritty Detroit street cops-and-criminals scene as only Elmore Leonard can write it -- characters that are alive, plot that is ugly and frustrating (why do really bad guys get by with it?), and writing that I'd like to listen to read aloud. Easy Rawlins remains my favorite, but Leonard's other books are great reads, too.
Proofreading errors are not the author's fault, but to misspell Luckenbach made my Texan heart very unhappy.
Pep Bonet
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-la, noir, anglesa-us
Excellent. Inner city toughs and precinct cops. The tough and the soft ones are not precisely WYSIWIG. The language is chirurgically precise. Concision is important. You sleep one page and you could be lost. A very nice experience. And that's one of the reasons books are made for. Or am I wrong?
Diogenes
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satiric, ironic and totally absorbing crime caper with a unique villain and an (almost) perfect cop. As always, Leonard's take on people at their worst and their best is chillingly incisive and the dialog is crisp and delightful. Nobody does this genre better.
Jay
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Another Leonard Detroit cop book. This one is dueling bad guy and good cop. The cop isn’t perfect, and the bad guy is pretty evil, so this leans to the darker side, as most of his stories seem to go. Worthwhile for the story and the humor. And the Albanians.
Pulpbomb
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty soon I'll have read all of Elmore Leonard's books & I don't know what I'm going to to with myself.
Jb17112
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this more than I expected.
George
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. A very good crime novel. Well developed characters, interesting twisting plot. An enjoyable read.
Andrea
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elmore
As tight and savory as it was 37 years ago.
USA Geography Cha...: City Primeval, by Elmore Leonard 1 1 Jun 10, 2016 07:01PM
STYLE 1 3 Mar 21, 2016 11:52AM
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • Cutter and Bone
  • The Glass Key
  • Cause for Alarm
  • The Instant Enemy
  • King of the City
  • Nothing More Than Murder
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
  • The Inspector Barlach Mysteries: The Judge and His Hangman and Suspicion
  • Cogan's Trade
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • The Two-Penny Bar (Maigret, #11)
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Cockfighter
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m ...more
More about Elmore Leonard...
“He walked back into the living room, looking again at the illuminated photo of the man with the brown beard and long hair.
“Who’s that, a friend of yours?”
Mr. Sweety glanced over. He said, “This picture here?” and sounded surprised. “It’s Jesus. Who you think it was?”
“It’s a photograph,” Raymond said.
Mr. Sweety said, “Yeah, it’s a good likeness, ain’t it?”
1 likes