Start by marking “Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)

Day of the Dragon

(WarCraft #1)

In the mist-shrouded haze of the past, the world of Azeroth teemed with wondrous creatures of every kind. Mysterious Elves and hardy Dwarves walked among tribes of man in relative peace and harmony -- until the arrival of the demonic army known as Burning Legion shattered the world's tranquility forever. Now Orcs, Dragons, Goblins, and Trolls all vie for supremacy over the ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Pocket Books

Start your review of Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1), Richard A. Knaak

Day of the Dragon is the story of how a human Mage, Rhonin, ventures into the last remaining Orc-controlled lands in Khaz Modan by the order of Krasus.

Krasus is actually a red dragon named Korialstrasz, yet is disguised as a human mage of Dalaran during the earlier chapters of the book.

He is loyal to his captured queen, Alexstrasza, Queen of the Red dragon flight and one of the five great Aspects. By using the "Demon Soul", Nekros Skullcrusher,
Markus
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warcraft, 2015, fantasy
The Second War has ended with a crushing defeat for the Horde, but Zuluhed and Nekros Skullcrusher keep the fight going by imprisoning Alexstrasza the Dragonqueen and forcing her to breed dragonlings to serve the Orc armies. Meanwhile the Eastern Kingdoms are shaken by the scheming of its kings and nobles, further developing the crisis...

Back when this year began, I had no idea that I would start playing World of Warcraft, not to mention getting so immersed in this world that I would actually st
Leeanna
Nov 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Day of the Dragon, by Richard A. Knaak

"Day of the Dragon" was the first book to be written in the Warcraft game universe. But while it is based on a game series, the book is practically a work of original fiction with hints of the story coming from the game. Knaak took the setting, characters, and events from the Warcraft universe and constructed them into an enjoyable, readable novel.

Although it is helpful to have some familiarity with Warcraft, such knowledge is not needed t
Stan
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this one because my stepbrother loaned it to me with his recommendation (albeit a mild one). I read the whole thing, just because, and remembered what it was like to read books aimed at teenage male gamers. I used to read plenty of those, back in the day. I didn't like all that many of them then, either, but I read them anyway, because I wanted to know the lore.

Mogsy (MMOGC)
Wow, shocker, a Warcraft book by Richard A. Knaak that got more than a one star rating from me. Seriously, I'm floored. Like, really. After suffering through his last couple WoW novels Wolfheart and Stormrage, I was starting to think I might just be a glutton for punishment when I picked up Day of the Dragon, but to my surprise, it wasn't that bad at all.

Granted, that might not mean much since I'm using my special video game tie-in novel scale to rate and review this book, so take my praise with
Hugo Saraiva
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
It's a great book, first of the Warcraft Books, or fantasy book for that mater, that I've ever read. Tells a story of a Mage who basically messed up on his last major quest, where everyone who went with him were distroyed in battle. Then he was then sent with another on a new quest. This new journey he is one will clear his name, if he is victorious. That is to say even if he lives through the journey to even get to where he needs to go to complete his quest.
Chad
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I'm not that big on fantasy. I started this book in 2012 because I had been playing World of Warcraft. While there were some cool moments in the book, most of them, I feel, were stolen from Tolkien. I finally finished this book in 2019. I'm not the right person to ask whether this is a good book or not, but it's heavy on lore and politics which is always a struggle for me to get through. Hence the 7-year trudge.
Nyxien
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who plays the Warcraft series
Recommended to Nyxien by: Blizzard
Shelves: ebooks
This is the first Warcraft book I've read. I was completely skeptical about how these books were going to read. I figured they were going to be dull or cliched at best. I was horribly wrong. After I read this book, i was hooked. I NEEDED to know more about Warcraft lore. I played the game for 3 years without having any background intelligence (I don't pay attention to in-game stories. I'm too impatient). These books actually make the gameplay way more interesting. I had actually cancelled my sub ...more
Vedran Karlić
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are two ways to look at this book. Just as a book, with their own characters and plot. If you do it like that, you are probably looking at 2 or 3 stars book. Characters are not very deep, the plot is not that good...

But, if you look at this as part of WarCraft series, then you have bit more. You already know characters, you know some back story. And you can imagine the world. And you have a bit better book. I would say 3 to 4 star, I'll go with 4 as it was fun to read about dragons.
Cole
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad. Steeped in World of Warcraft lore....Deathwing, the Aspects, the Kirin Tor, Lordaeron
I.M. Redwright
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for every single fan of the Warcraft videogame series.

I think Day of the Dragon is a great introduction to the Warcraft books. Not too heavy, can be understood without having played the videogames and with a nice setting of characters: a wizard, an elf and a dwarf. Classic. And if that was not enough this story has dragons.

If you take this book as a part of the story you already know because of the videogames then it is really enjoyable, you will find yourself saying "ooh, l
Kyla
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I wanted to know more though!
Stan Crowe
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok

"Day of the Dragon" was good enough to not just stop reading part way through. That said, if the book is at all a commentary on t
Jenelle
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So, we start the book with Rhonin. He is a wizard that has a bad reputation. He went on a mission and because of the spell he used, everyone died. The mission was a success, but alot of people died. He has a new mentor, and this mentor sends him on a mission. Recon. He is to find out how he can rescue the red dragon queen, who is being held captive by the orcs, who work for the Horde, who are the bad guys. They captured her and have been using her to breed dragons that the Horde use. The Allianc ...more
Han
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely the kind of book for me. First of all, World Of Warcraft is a game that I have played before and little content covered in the book is within the game, that makes me feel more interested in these kind of books. This whole book is about how a human mage named Rhonin takes a risky journey into the last remaining orc-controlled land in the order of Krakus who truly is a red dragon. Human is part of Alliance and Orc is part of Horde, Horde and Alliance has been fighting since ...more
Yahuhanan (יהוחנן) Yukia (雪亮) Sese (謝) Cuneta
Dylan  Wong S1
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Dylan by: my cousin
This book is very amazing. It is very exiting. The mage Rhonin was sent by the counsel of elders to save the Dragonqueen from the clutches of Dragonmawclan.(All by himself!!!) This took place in 100B.C when it still had Dragons but the very last know female(able to breed) Dragon was known as the Dragonqueen! They hope it will breed another female dragon. the Dragonmaw clan kidnaping the dragonqueen not only escaping(holing the Dragonqueen) the elders but also the silverhand alliance! Rhonin, de ...more
Deeptanshu
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read that was written by Ricahrd Knaak but I had heard some very good things about him.
I am happy to say that I as not disappointed, though the book starts of a bit slow, it really begins to grab you around halfway through. The characters are interesting but the true standouts are the Dragons. Unique and mesmerizing each was a delight to read about and left me wanting more.
Eric Peusa
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warcraft lovers
Shelves: go-read-it
In the world of Warcraft, where Orcs are still ravaging the lands due to their blood-lust, a rogue mage Rhonin is sent, by his superiors, to redeem himself into the orc infested lands. Aside from the orcs, there are dragons and many more adventures that he will face. This is a book for those who love Warcraft and love fantasy.
LyD
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow
My first Warcraft read. Currently playing WoW and am very intrigued by the dragon lore, so this was a natural first choice. It was a good read for sure, and while I was familiar with the characters because of the game, you certainly don't have to be. The lore surrounding the Aspects is pretty cool and this is a good insight to one of them.
Katie
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a lot better than I thought it would be. The writing is good and the characterization was way more than I was expecting from a book based on Warcraft. I was just looking to start reading all the lore books and started with this one, and I'm glad I did.

From what I've read, I'm glad that I chose to start with this book and not the War of the Ancients trilogy.
David
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book--amazing! The fact it ties in so well with the Warcraft universe was a plus. Rhonin and Krasus are both badasses--and the foreshadowing of Rhonin bumping uglies with Vereesa was quite obvious. I don't want to give too much away, so that is all. Must read for Warcraft lore folk.
Billy Davis
Jun 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy
I debated giving this book four stars, even though some parts of the story rubbed me the wrong way. But I gave it five starts because that was the intent of the writer, not some bad writting habit.

If you like Dragons and wzirads or know anything about the warcraft games, this is a good read.
Daley
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers, first time Warcraft readers and WoW players.
Shelves: favorite
I absolutely loved it.
This was my first Warcraft book and I recommend it to first time Warcraft readers.
Rhonin was remarkable and I loved reading about the Aspects. I couldn't stop until I was done with it.
Aik Koh
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first warcraft novel. Rented it just to try it out, end up owning a copy and re-reading it all over again. Story is simple and yet so wonderful, especially when it comes down to the mid of the action.
Tina
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book with all its rich descriptions and characters that had such an authentic feeling to them. Its true that I love the games upon which the book is based, and I am still a World of Warcraft player, but even if I weren't, upon reading this novel, I would have become one.
Ahmad
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, once again the horde (pre-horde) are being dishonest and achieve power by ill means ... "yeah let's capture the dragon queen" ... what absolute moronic idiots, I seriously question anyone that's proud of the horde history
Chris
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warcraft Fans mostly
Amazing book, yet Cycle of Hatred is better. Hard to believe people hated it.
Daniel ross
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WoW players
after you read this one, which is pretty good, theres a whole trilogy with these charecters
Patrick Kinney
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhonin is a badass. Nothing new.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Warcraft: Durotan
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • Warcraft: Death Knight
  • Illidan (World of Warcraft, #14)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)
  • Warcraft Official Movie Novelization
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • War Crimes (World of Warcraft, #13)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, the Dragonrealm and Black City Saint series (his own creations), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written several non-series fantasy books.

WarCraft (3 books)
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)

News & Interviews

“Narrow, yellow eyes with no visible pupils sparkled with merriment, but the sort of merriment that came from pulling the wings off flies or the arms off experimental subjects.” 1 likes