Start by marking “The Titanic: Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
The Titanic: Lost and Found

The Titanic: Lost and Found

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  726 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Titanic. Just the name evokes tales of the doomed ship that have captivated people of all ages for more than 100 years.
Early readers will enjoy this exciting account of the world's most famous disaster-at-sea and the discovery of it's remains many years later.
Step 4 books are perfect for independent readers who are confident with simple sentences and are just starting to
Published April 21st 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Titanic, please sign up.

Emily Holter
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This non-fiction picture book is written about the world’s most famous boat, the Titanic. This book goes in chronological order, as for children will start from the beginning of the Titanic’s journey to its climactic, unfortunate end. Parents will appreciate what this book has to offer and teach their children about the history of the Titanic, as for this book contains factual information, containing dates, times, cities, and people. An easy read, children will remember about the Titanic for a l ...more
Katy Jane
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. I never knew that because of the Titanic sinking new laws were made regarding safety boats, radios always being turned on, and a way to alert boats of icebergs.
2. FREAKING CALIFORNIA SHIP.
3. This is a great introduction to the Titanic for kids.
4. That was no man on that door. It was Rose. And she didn't invite jack onto it.
5. I literally just pictured everyone from the movie while reading this book.
Stephanie Snyder
a great home education resource
Ashton McWhirter
This book is a nonfiction children's book about the Titanic. It has not won any awards.

"The Titanic: Lost and Found" tells the historical events of the Titanic's journey, sinking, and rediscovery in the Atlantic. This nonfiction story is historically accurate, contains real images and facts, a timeline, and is written in simple sentences for beginning independent readers around grades second and third.

I have no critiques for this book, as I love that it was written so accurately, but still pres
Chelsea Yarworth
The Titanic: Lost and Found would be for readers for 2nd-5th grade. Its genre if historical fiction and has not received any awards for this book yet. This story explains how the ship got a hole in it and what the found later in years from the ship. The Titanic was leaving from England to North America, and over 1,000 passed away from being on the cruise ship. i rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because i have read other books based on the Titanic to find a bit more of information. This book has ...more
Daisy Covarrubias
The Titanic
“The Titanic” by Judy Donnelly is a true story about the Titanic sinking.
It is a good story because that happens in like 102 year ago.
The plot of the story shows ho made the Titanic sink.(P.2)

First of all the titanic has restaurant a post office-even a gym with a toy camel to ride.
The titanic fancy rooms are on the top deck.
the squash court and the swimming pool. (p.7)

The Titanic also is a good story because that story is true.
That happen in April 10, 1912.
The Titanic sank beca
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another classic easy reader that has been in print for well over twenty years. This book brings the story of the sinking of the Titanic to life for a first time introduction to the topic. Quite a detailed look at the entire episode for an 'easy reader'. The description of the sinking is well-described and manages to include all of the major events that lead to the sinking and the famous points of interest commonly known about that night. The book goes on to talk about the rescue and the eventual ...more
Oksanna Scheidt
We've seen the movie with the amazing, Leonardo DiCaprio, and we've marveled on the fact that both Rose and Jack could fit on the piece of door that came floating by but that's not the actual history. We, as the reader, tend to get wrapped up in the stories and we forget about what happened to the Titanic. It sank because of an iceberg and that's that. The Titanic: Lost and Found reminds us as the readers that there's more to the story than nice hair and crystals.

This children book does a good j
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: General Nonfiction
Author: Judy Donnelly Illustrator: Keith Kohler
Interest Level: 3
Grade Level Equivalent: 2.5
DRA: 30-34
Lexile: 290 L

The Titanic was dubbed the unsinkable ship and was grander than any ship before it, but poor planning led to the tragic loss of many lives. After hitting an iceberg, not being able to reach a boat that was only 10 miles away for help and lack of enough lifeboats the Titanic sunk and took more than half of the passengers with it. For many year
Erik Akre
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young, curious readers, ages 5-9
I have to give this book four stars, because my oldest daughter was absolutely obsessed with it in her early years. We read it to her over and over again before she could read (it was requested relentlessly), and she read it over and over again after she learned to read herself.

The drama of a huge ship sinking into the ocean, and the strange story of how it was found at the bottom of a deep sea, grip the hungry young mind. There are many things that would do so, but this one hooked my daughter a
Zach
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not as intense as the movie, but it gets the point across for young, developing readers. The book "The Titanic: Lost and Found" by Judy Donnelly helps break down the story of how the Titanic ship sunk. Then once the author is done explaining how they lost the ship, she goes into how they found the ship. This book is actually really interesting because it breaks down the Titanic story so more people can understand it. The step 4 reading books are really good sources for students who ...more
Kate
I read this when I was a first grader? It was the first chapter book I read by myself, and I still have the "sandwich board" I made for it for my book report to the class. It's pretty grim, why did my parents allow this?

Oh wait- my dad loves stories of shipwrecks, so I assume this book was his idea. I used to have all the facts and figures memorized. I also have a deep interest in shipwrecks thanks to this book (and my father, I suppose).

Recommended for grade schoolers with odd parents.
Abby
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is it. This is the book that sparked my life long interest in reading. For no other reason than that alone, this book changed my life. That and it helped me be able to read quite proficiently by the time I entered kindergarten.

I have very fond memories of reading this book and I look forward to one day also reading to my children.

Ana Lupu
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The titanic is a very sad story. It's about how people drown and die. About 2,200 people set out but only 705 people were rescued. It's a heart breaking story to me and i think that you should read this book because its very good and sad to hear what happened to the people.
Megan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
Read out loud to my six year old. This is the disaster that grips both my boys for hours on end. I was pleased that this book ended with the explorations that have happened recently. In all, a decent easy reader re-telling of a complicated story.
Donzell Fomond
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the part when the ship was so big that it had a lot of rooms. It was interesting when the ship was sinking. It was so sad when all the kids, moms and dads died and the poor people died and the captain.
Joe
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because the Titanic was the biggest ship. I like this book because they let all kids go first when the ship was sinking. I like this book because the Carpathia ship came out its way for the Titanic.
papay sesay
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Titanic is a very good book. It is about a ship named the Titanic.
The Titanic is a very large ship. It has a gym, squash court, restaurants, a toy camel to ride on and a swimming pool. The Titanic was leaving from England to North America
Avel Rudenko
Roughly, a historical recollection of the titanic tragedy. The main message just simply states that what people think to be unsinkable, is sinkable. Things that are believed to be completely indestructible, will one day fall, i.e. the U.S. Government.
Gray
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this four because I did not like it when the Titanic sank toward Canada. The Titanic ship was really big. It used to be unsinkable but it got hit by an iceberg and sank. Some people in the bottom of the ship didn't make it, they were the poor people.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a first exposure to the ship and its tragic end, this easy reader is both thorough and honest about the extent of life lost. Illustrations don't sugarcoat the terror of the situation--one of special interest is the cross-section of the ship.
LaDonna
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wyatt enjoyed this book.
Jebbeh Fahnbulleh
i like this book because it shows how people died and how the Titanic ship went under the water. The Titanic was the biggest ship in the world. People said it was the safest ship, too.
Emily
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titanic, kids-books
This book explains the discovery of the Titanic to younger readers. The illustrations are nicely done.
Christian
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the Titanic.
Margaret Chind
My edition does not have this cover image. It is duller and darker.
Ben
Beginning readers learn of the ship of doom, its fate, and the findings of what remains years after.
Jaeger Matthias
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-100, 2011
MCL

the titanic drowned in the ocean then it came up
Ann Clement
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent easy reading on the history of the Titanic. Great for older students who are interested in history but have trouble digesting heavier texts.
Catherine
Jason became obsessed with the Titanic after reading this book!
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!