Start by marking “Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)

Empire of Ivory (Temeraire #4)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  18,692 Ratings  ·  920 Reviews
More then a year has passed since Temeraure and Laurence departed for the Orient uncertain that they would ever return home;but after many adventures along the treacherous Silk Road, Britain's welcome shores are finally in sight.

However, their homecoming is not the jubilant one they expected.Temeraire's daring rescue of hundreds of Prussian soldiers from the besighed town
Published November 5th 2007 by Harper Voyager (first published September 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Ivory, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
That ending though 👀
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love historical fiction, fantasy or dragons
This is the fourth book in the series but the first real review I’ve done for the series as I read the previous three last year when my reviews were one or two sentences long. The premise of these novels are simply: what would have happened if the Napoleonic Wars were fought with dragons?

I’ve enjoyed all four of the Temeraire novels so far. However I have seen lots of people mention that they haven’t found the second, third or fourth one as good as the first. Maybe I am biased because of my smal
Anish Kohli
Deal Breaker..!! This book is a complete deal breaker.

The 4th installment in the Temeraire series, comes as a shockingly hollow book. Devoid of any story line, this book left me thoroughly disappointed. I am quite literally sad.

When I picked this series initially, I was ecstatic. Such brilliant writing style with such flow and a very charming Dragon. What else could I ask for? But since then this series has been on the decline in terms of story line and this book in particular brings it to a gri
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“The very young hold up best, and the old ones linger; it is the ones between who have been dying. Dying first, anyway; I suppose they will all go in the end.”

In “Empire of Ivory” we are transported to Africa as we follow Laurence and Temeraire in their quest to find a cure for the epidemic that has spread to his fellow dragons.

I love the fact that with each book we explore a different place instead of just staying in the same setting every time. Since this book is set in Africa we have the
2011 September 21

Yeah, she managed to slip penguins in there with the colonialism and the slavery and the dragon plague. It feels quite a bit as if she can read my mind and anticipate everything I might want to see and give it to me. I'd give her a whole extra star just for the 19th century epidemiology alone. And another star for Mrs. Erasmus. It's hard for me to think of another book, let alone a series, which deals so well with very weighty issues and is such insane pleasure to read.

Library c
Scott Sigler
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best yet in this series. Empire of Ivory delivers several gut-punches. I am so happy I started this series after it is mostly done, because after the cliffhanger ending in this book I would have been fit to be tied. As it is, I'm already listening to Book V, Victory of Eagles.
Dec 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack +The Page Runner+
Well, I finished book 4 with a bit of trepidation for future entries. Despite my love for the series, and the solid foundation that this alternate history tale was built on, THIS was the Temeraire book I didn’t even know I wanted. While the previous books in the series have all been good, Empire of Ivory definitely stands taller than the rest. My concern is that this is the pinnacle of the series, and that everything else that follows might not quite live up to the newly established standard. Li ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
3 stars, maaaaaaybe 3.5

It seemed like a lot of people were disappointed by Black Powder War and enjoyed this one much more. I'm the opposite. Loved Black Powder War and in comparison, Empire of Ivory... it just feels like not a lot happened. Yes, the dragons were sick. Laurence and Temeraire went to Africa to find a cure. Found a cure, brought it home, and voila! Dragons all better. The ending with Napoleon was mildly interesting, and I enjoyed their time spent in Africa thanks to Laurence's en
Simona Stoica
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LAURENCE! *sigh*
Emily (BellaGrace)
So.. I'm moving out of state in a few days and have been listening to a lot of books while I pack and clean. Since I was listening, I had no idea how far into a book I was. I felt like it was getting close to the end because a BIG THING was about to happen when....

the book ended.

I seriously thought there was something wrong with the file. But no. Fucking big cliffhanger ending.

It's been a year or more since I read a Temeraire book. I forgot how much I adore Temeraire and also the new baby dragon
The fourth in the Temeraire series, and the one I've enjoyed the most since the introductory book. Which is to say, a lot. This one felt more tightly structured than the last, with the disease plot as a brilliantly chosen and terrifying centerpiece. I've never had a dragon, obviously, but the idea of losing one made me ache almost as much as the thought of losing one's daemon in His Dark Materials. The African setting really came alive; I love how we're getting to see how different cultures aro ...more
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started a bit slow for me, but in the end I actually enjoyed this one as much as the first. Very nice addition for the series.
Zen Cho
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, regency
Whaaaaat now that is a cliffhanger! Man.

This was once again a very nice little book. This one takes place in Africa for much of the time, which is fun. And it has a lady admiral! I know I've bemoaned in the past the lack of female characters in this series. But I have to admit that Novik is pretty good at having our hero be a product of his times, without being a huge dick. He seems more bewildered by women being able to, like, DO and THINK things, than really objecting to it. Which works for me
Meredith Galman
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In terms of both theme and action, this book seems more like a direct sequel, and a worthier follow-up, to Throne of Jade than the rather pointless Black Powder War. Back in England, Laurence and Temeraire discover the fighting dragons have been devastated by an unknown plague. Since Temeraire seems to have survived it, he and others of his consort are dispatched back to Africa to try and find the cure. There they encounter several African tribes and yet another societal relationship between h ...more
Book Haunt
Finally, Laurence & Temeraire and company have arrived home after more than a year away. Also in tow are the feral dragons, Tharkay, the rescued Huguenots and the baby dragon, Iskierka. The home front has markedly changed though and not for the good. Temeraire’s fellow dragons that were left behind in England have been hit by an epidemic, some kind of dragon consumption. The consumption has killed some and left others badly weakened, one of which is Maximus, who will not last much longer wit ...more
Jamie Collins
I'm loving this series. This one has a sort of cliffhanger ending, which I don't in general care for, and I'm glad the next book is already available. I'm going to be really frustrated when I finish that one - I hate it when I "catch up" on a series and have to wait a year or more between books.

Novik's writing gets better and better. I kept going back to re-read sections that were particularly compelling, and there are some very funny scenes. I love the Regency-era dialog.
Kitvaria Sarene
This one was really interesting! A desperate illness has spread around UKs dragons - and now the cure has to be found, before any more of the dragons might die from it...

This time we get to visit Africa, get a closer look at slavery and colonies, meet new dragons and a jaw dropping cliffhanger at the end...

Definitely worth the read!
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I may have underestimated the aims of this series, which I had assumed, based on the first three books, to be following the history of our world - or at least Europe - more or less as it did for real, only with the various powers involved having dragons at their disposal. That's what it seemed to be: The Napoleonic Wars, only with dragons.

Here in the fourth volume, that basic concept is blown open. Escaping from the events at the end of the third book with French dragons nipping at their heels,
Review to come!
"It's a kind of consumption," Lord Lenton said tiredly, turning to the window.

“How widespread—?” Laurence asked.

“Everywhere,” Lenton said. “Dover, Portsmouth, Middlesbrough. The breeding grounds in Wales and Halifax; Gibraltar; everywhere the couriers went on their rounds; everywhere.” He turned away from the windows and took his chair again. “We were inexpressibly stupid; we thought it was only a cold, you see.”
(Ironically, the plague originated with American dragons, who are immune.)

May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, own
This installment of the Temeraire series, the four book, was such a huge improvement upon the previous book.

When the dragons get sick, Laurence and the other handlers are desperate to get the cure before the dragons begin dying off. So Laurence, Temeraire and friends must go off to the deepest reaches of Africa to find the cure.

I'm so glad Novik brought back the characters the previous books, especially the female characters (there were several in this story - including a black woman!), and add
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pacing of the plot really picks up in this installment of the Temeraire series. I also love that they are back in England with this book (for the most part), as I find the dynamic in that setting to be the most entertaining. This is one of the better books in the series, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed any of Novik's previous novels.
Ben Babcock
Most of my first review of Empire of Ivory stands, so rather than rehash that, I’ll just comment on where my opinion has changed or things I noticed that I didn’t mention in the first review.

I’ve mentioned this in previous reviews, but Laurence is just such a delightful character. I think we’ve gotten used to seeing caricatures of women from the turn of the nineteenth century simply based on Jane Austen’s celebrity. It’s refreshing to see Naomi Novik capture the thoughts of a English gentleman o
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going just by the story, the characters, and my general entertainment throughout most of this book, I would have rated this at five stars. I’m giving it 4.5 stars, the same as the last two books, but I’m rounding down to 4 on Goodreads whereas I rounded the previous two up to 5. The reason I'm rating it so much lower, in spite of enjoying it so much, is that there were a couple things that particularly annoyed me, one being what I consider to be a major story discrepancy. More details are in the ...more
L.E. Doggett
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about this one. It is a four star story. The writing is suburb: descriptions of events and setting, the plot is carried on as it should. There are a couple of details some readers may not like but they fit in. And this deals with an alternate setting for an event that really happened in our world in England. That history has a twist but so close to what we know too. Africa is different with dragons around.

I liked the fact that not every book is rewriting of the events in the pre
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm hooked. The world gets steadily more complex as more areas are explored, yet it also feels like a comfortable, welcoming, and amusing niche.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
„Primele trei volume s-au concentrat mai mult pe bătălii, pe cuceriri și apărări de teritorii, mai puțin pe grija celor care duc mare parte din ce este greu, pe dragoni și pe siguranța lor. Care, până la urmă era vitală, în condițiile în care ei făceau ca rezultatele dorite să existe într-un timp mai scurt. Cu toate că nu mi-a plăcut absolut deloc ce s-a întâmplat cu ei, nu am fost deloc încântată de suferința prin care au trecut sau de pierderile pe care le-au suferit ceilalți, nu pot spune că ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Empire of Ivory [Dec 1, 2017] 60 47 Jan 07, 2018 06:01PM
Play Book Tag: Empire Of Ivory (Temeraire #4), by Naomi Novik--4 stars 1 8 Jun 19, 2017 07:30AM
Fantasy Book Club...: Temeraire #4- Empire of Ivory--Finished! Spoil away! 6 20 May 20, 2017 08:19PM
Temeraire Rp Group? 1 5 May 10, 2013 01:35PM
Temeraire: Empire of Ivory 3 6 Oct 10, 2012 06:04AM
Temeraire? 3 41 Apr 07, 2008 09:05PM
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • Dragon Soul (Havemercy #3)
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (The Cardinal's Blades #2)
  • Half a Crown (Small Change, #3)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more
More about Naomi Novik...

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“Keynes, quite ignoring the covert gestures, the attempts at signaling, of nearly every senior officer, examined [Lily] and declared that she was perfectly fit to fly, "had better fly, I should say; this agitation is unnatural, and must be worked off."

"But perhaps," Laurence said, voicing the reluctance which the captains all privately shared, and they as a body began to suggest flights out over the ocean, along the scenic and settled coastline and back; gentle exercise.

"I hope," Catherine said, going pink clear up to her forehead in a wave of color, "I hope that no-one is going to fuss; I would dislike fuss extremely.”
“Proper circus you make,' Berkley said, with a snort of laughter Laurence considered unnecessary, when they landed in the clearing and set the dog down; it promptly went tearing around the parade ground yelling at the dragons. For their part they were only interested and curious until the dog bit a too-inquisitive Dulcia on the tender nip of her muzzle, at which she hissed in anger; the dog yelped and fled back to the dubious shelter of Temeraire's side; he looked down at it in irritation and tried unsuccessfully to nudge it away.

'Pray be careful of the creature; I have no idea how we should get or train another,' Laurence said, and Temeraire at last grumbling allowed it to curl up beside him.”