Start by marking “Wizardology” as Want to Read:
Wizardology

Wizardology (Ology)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,950 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Aspiring wizards can tune in to the age-old wisdom of Merlin with this dazzling compendium of all things magical — unveiling novelty elements throughout.

For any apprentice determined to learn the arcane arts of wizardry, could there be a better teacher than . . . Merlin himself? Originally discovered in 1588, this remarkable text by history's most respected wizard is reve
Published September 13th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wizardology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizardology

Dragonology by Dugald A. SteerEgyptology by Emily SandsWizardology by Dugald A. SteerMythology by Lady Hestia EvansPirateology by Dugald A. Steer
Interactive Books
3rd out of 44 books — 24 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Banned Books 2007-2008
44th out of 85 books — 198 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Michaels
Oct 19, 2010 Emma Michaels rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this is SOOOOO CUTE! It has so many side stories in it that are a lot of fun to read including cautionary tales tales about wizardry, stories about Merlin and fun explanations about mystical creatures, different types of wizards around the world and more. I found it on my fiance's shelf and decided I wanted to read something fun so gave it a go. It was wonderful and now I want to check out the other stories by this author but what I loved most about it what how it was formatted. I ...more
RLL52013_LaurenBregman
Wizardology is a very visually appealing book. It is a large book with many things to touch, open and peek into and includes gems and crystals in the front cover. It is written as if it is true and by Merlin the Wizard. This book would be considered informational fantasy because it has the appeal of being "true" and that anyone can follow these steps and concoct these potions to become a real wizard. I think this would be an enjoyable book for children who like the escape of reality and want to ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Apr 29, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
I loved all the facts and secrets in this book. The illustrations and captions were very detailed, beautiful, and insightful. My son really enjoyed the flaps and hidden secrets scattered throughout the book. Perhaps, the best thing about this book is that focuses on the classic tales/secrets of Merlin and wizardry. Don't get me wrong, I am all for Harry Potter but there is much more to wizardry and magic and this book is a nice introduction to that.
zaria
Nov 09, 2008 zaria rated it it was amazing
it rocked!
MissInformation
Jul 09, 2007 MissInformation rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 3rd to 6th grade
Wizardology claims to be the teacher of the secrets of Merlin, created by Merlin himself from his imprisonment in an oak tree by his disobedient student Vivienne. Merlin uses what little magic he has to “cause the oak tree to be cut down and made into this book.” p.30. The purpose of the book is to return the knowledge of true wizardology to the world. The reader is addressed as a candidate for apprenticeship. Topics covered include wizard history, wizard tools, the wizard’s workshop, familiars, ...more
Emily
Mar 21, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Good read for fans of Merlin. The history/legend of how Merlin was born is accurate (though in the book they refer to his dad as a fairy rather than a demon, as the true legend goes) and the book does a great job of explaining the fact that learning magic is difficult. If a parent was worried about exposing their children to the evils of wizards and magic, they shouldn't worry too much with this book because the ingredients listed for "potions" are impossible to find and "Merlin" repeats again a ...more
Alberto
Remarkable text written by Merlin himself. It's an honour to lay eyes upon these works of the great master. True sagacity and brilliance can be found on these pages.
Ash
Oct 10, 2009 Ash rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those rare but beautifully made books that I just love to collect. I love nothing more than opening this book to gaze upon the amazing artwork and interesting and detail information that is supposedly the "Secrets of Merlin" it reminds me of the Egyptology book in several aspects, but I must admit I do enjoy reading this one more than the others.

Personally, it hasn't really shown me anything particularly new, however I do read far too much Fantasy Fiction for it to be health
Cherish
To be honest, this is my least favorite of all of the Ology books I've read. Maybe my 11-year-old self was more receptive, but my 21-year-old self thought this was boring and terribly lacking in the "physical-reading" department. Maybe I'm super nostalgic about it, but Fairyology was so whimsical and had so many things you could physically touch and take out and play with in your hands that this was a bit of a disappointment. For me, that's the best part of this series.
Really though, I was BORED
Amethyst Shadow
Jun 02, 2009 Amethyst Shadow rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-witches
This is such a cute book. I'd recommend it to children and adults.
Temmieflakes
Nov 17, 2015 Temmieflakes rated it liked it
cool
R. C.
Jun 30, 2009 R. C. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Take many diverse magickal paths from every continent on the planet. Lump all their male elders, masters, priests and shamans together under the label of "wizard." Subdivide them now by geographical proximity. Finally, illustrate their religious traditions in the style of Victorian spread-the-empire explorers' field journals, but simplify the language for children, providing just a paragraph or two of generalizations and rumors about each "wizard".

It's just like Dragonology. Only, in this book,
Dick
Mar 12, 2008 Dick rated it it was amazing
I really love this series. I didnt think this book was quite as good as the Pirateology but it is a very good read with great production values. I cant wait to read it with grandchildren. The art work is superb. Each page has interesting topics such as: The work of a wizard, Location of wizards in the world, Wizard's Robes and Tools and A Wizard's Menagerie of Magical Beasts. This series is like a Coffee book for kids. Each of the pages has something secret like a Magical Phoenix Leather note wh ...more
Lynnette
Apr 02, 2014 Lynnette rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
i hope not to offend anyone with this review. I respect those who follow their ambitions. If those who like this book chose to be a witch or wizard so be it, but as for me, "real" magic terrifies me. In my mind it is very dark. I feel very depressed and scared and sad and anxious and strange whenever I read this book. I do not like it.
Melana
Jan 06, 2016 Melana rated it it was amazing
If you like the world of spells and potions than this the book for you. Wizardology is action packed with pop ups stories and games. It is all the secrets of Merlin the magician! It is the complete set of magic. And if you like this book you should check out more books by Dugald A. Steer. Experiance the magic of this book!
Cmoore
Dec 27, 2014 Cmoore added it
I just love this series. Wizardology makes a beautiful addition to my library, sitting next to the Dragonology books. There is much fun between the pages with pictures and text and games: Did you know Merlin is also known by the name Taliesin? This is a must have for any student of wizardry.
Juliet
Oct 23, 2015 Juliet rated it really liked it
Shelves: 02-fantasy
Really, really cool book. I think adults would have more interest in this book than kids, but I'm sure kids would like it too. Course it is all about magic, so there may be some controversy there, but it is a really cool, really pretty book.
Erin
Jul 05, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
I was fascinated by this book. All the -ology books have been pretty popular, but I've never flipped through one cover to cover. There were a lot of things to read, look at and discover. I'm also a big King Arthur fan, so a book by Merlin is, well, pretty awesome. There is a lot of actual folklore information in here (birds and beasties and different kinds of magicians), and so it's an interesting (and active) read.
Kids who are into fantasy, specifically wizards, should enjoy this book. Those wh
Perseonn
Jul 13, 2014 Perseonn rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome
This is an entertaining book, accompanied with great illustration and so many things to make you feel like a real wizard. The only downside is its availability in my country :(
Maria
Jun 25, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
A fun activity book with a sense of humor. Clearly made with care because not only is the cover gorgeous but it's also filed with beautiful illustrations and trivia.
Mikey
Feb 15, 2013 Mikey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Much like the Dragonology book, (I own both), I dusted this book off in order to relive/reread a childhood favourite of mine.

The series is quite light on the reading aspect, but the images and illustrations are great. This book essentially reads like Merlin's scrapbook. The authors do a great job of making the reader feel like they're being treated to the secrets of the wizarding world.

With pull-outs and small pockets with documents in and little secrets hidden throughout, this book will serve a
Ben
Jan 24, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
A good book, lots of magical items inside. If you want to see the items, don't check it out from the library!!!
David
Apr 01, 2016 David rated it really liked it
Sometimes, a good kids' book is what you need to respark your imagination.
Rowena
Jul 18, 2015 Rowena rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series and have most of these books!
Ljudmila
Feb 12, 2016 Ljudmila rated it it was amazing
Poklon za diplomski. :)
Cortney Maasjo
Dec 07, 2014 Cortney Maasjo rated it liked it
A fun read :)
Alma Q
Almost as good as Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons. Albeit not introducing a whole lot of new information or insight into the world of wizards and witches, Steer once again manages to make reading his book an adventure that effectively pulls the reader in - thanks to beautiful pictures as well as some spells that somehow have gotten included in it. Hmmm.
Marci
As with all the ology books I am amazed at the attention to details. Wizardology is such a fun read. The subtitle explains that this is the book of the secrets of Merlin. Where the charm of Harry Potter was the story, in Wizardology it is story, illustrations, imaginative additions like envelopes with secrets and mini-booklets with spells. I can't imagine how these are sold at Amazon.com for a mere $13 and change. The detail is astonishing and children of all ages, truly, will love the book.
Andrea
Jul 24, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults and Children
I have to highly recommend all of the 'ology' series for children and adults alike. Both the girls (ages 8 and 13) have loved these since they discovered them. They are wonderful interactive adventurous books that will keep them entertained and reading for hours. And they are a book they will come back to time and time again. I had to actually confiscate these more than once from my older step-daughter when she would be up way past bed time searching for some new detail she hadn't seen before.
Dakota
Sep 22, 2011 Dakota rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS A BOOK FOR PEOPLE WHO BILIVE IN THIS STUFF LIKE CRISS ANGEL.IT TELLS STORIES OF MERLIN THE MAJITION WHO WAS A GREAT PERSON BUT FOR THIS BOOK IS GOOD IT HAS FLAWS THE THINGS ON THE IN SIDE PEOPLE STELL SO AS A READER IT IS A GOOD BOOK. WITH POTIONS WITCHES GOBLINS SORCERS THIS BOOK IS PERFECT FOR SOME PEOPLE. BUT FOR SOME PEOPLE IT WAS HORRIBLE OR [SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE]. ME I BILIVE IT IS A AWSOME BOOK AND IS GOOD FOR AGES... 3AND UP BECAUSE 3 YEAR OLDS ARE AMAZAED BY IT
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Dragon Chronicles
  • The Secret History of Giants
  • Professor Winsnicker's Book of Proper Etiquette for Well-Mannered Sycophants
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)
  • The Mythology Handbook: An Introduction to the Greek Myths
  • Goblins!
  • Dinosaurology
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • I Spy Fantasy: A Book of Picture Riddles
Until recently, Dugald A. Steer worked as an author and editor at Templar Publishing. He is the writer behind Candlewick's widely acclaimed New York Times bestsellers, DRAGONOLOGY, THE DRAGONOLOGY HANDBOOK, and EGYPTOLOGY, as well as the forthcoming EGYPTOLOGY HANDBOOK. Dugald has now given up his editorial job to concentrate on writing full-time, especially more books with "ology" in the title. D ...more
More about Dugald A. Steer...

Ology (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4)
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Spyology
  • Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Alienology (Ologies, #10)
  • Illusionology