Start by marking “Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop, #1)

Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  16,845 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
In Kiri's school there are 3 boys who carry out transformations on random pretty girls; Narumi Shougo, the hairstylist, Minami Kei, the nail artist and Ochiai Kazuhiko who balances the overall look. They are adored by the girls because they are so good at making them beautiful. However, Kiri is also a master hairstylist who is willing to 'add some magic' for those who need ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Pop, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Billie Salazar I'm not sure if you mean physically or not, but assuming you are, here are some instructions on how to read manga:
Start from the back! Traditionally,…more
Start from the back! Traditionally, manga is read, page wise, from right to left, so the cover of the book is what Western societies consider to be the back of the book.
Dialogue is meant to be read from top to bottom in a panel. The panels, again, will be read from right to left. So usually dialogue that is meant to be read first will be higher up in the drawing panel, then when you're done with the dialogue in a panel, you move to the panel on the left. When you're done withe the panels on the top row, you start again on the next row, from right to left.
For beginners, it sometimes takes a while to figure out how the story line is supposed to move, but reading manga is a pretty easy process that you get used to after the first few pages. I'm sorry if my instructions didn't make sense or if I answered this unnecessarily. Good luck and enjoy the manga world!!(less)
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
348 books — 1,612 voters
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Awesome Manga
219 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

What a cute manga! I devoured this in just a few hours today on my way to college; I was giggling on the bus like a middle-schooler.

Meet Kiri-chan, an undercover hair beautician. She doesn't make a big deal about her "magic" hands, she merely helps girls who feel "ugly" within an hour. She's a very chill main character -- always tired, but always kind... unless you're one of the three boys at school in the Scissors Project. These boys handpick beautiful girls with shoulder-length hair for a mak
Bani M
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this series from start to finish. The heroine is confident and clever, the side characters are charming and largely realized. What I found most impressive about Beauty Pop is how it takes a subject I have ZERO interest in (the adventures and competitions in the beautician field) and makes it unexpectedly interesting. Full of fun and good humor. The lack of romance is startling though and pretty unfortunate toward the end when the characters have been developed so well and have marked che ...more
CW (Read Think Ponder)
Gah, I read this as a teen but never finished it! Rereading this 10 years-ish later is so nostalgic and is hitting all the right spots. (I hope this gets me out of my book slump.)
Raven James
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this is the best comic I have read so far. This serie is about beauty making incomplete ugly into butterflies. Once he fixes you,he makes the person you like fall in love with you, but someone else is doing beauty projects too and everyone in on school wants to know who is this person, I mean she goes to their school. In the end X and the boy have a beauty project hairstyliest competitition, adn in the end someone wins but you have to read volume 2 to know who won!
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Megan M
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is probably the strangest concept for a manga I've ever read. Kiri is a talented hairdresser who tries to keep her skills a secret, especially from the Scissors Project, a group of young men who do showy makeovers on girls at their high school. But her fabulous styling is quickly noticed and the Scissors Project vows to challenge her. So weird, but surprisingly cute. Kiri is a fun heroine with a great sense of sarcastic humor and the cliffhanger ending makes me really interested in picking ...more
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Ehh...not bad, but I'm not into fashion or hair styling so I probably won't read much more of the series. And the notion that girls need to be beautiful and sexy and "aesthetically pleasing" to be accepted by society is just downright BS. It grated on my nerves.
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Man, the message of this series seems to be that you should just do whatever to look good. Probably the most shallow piece of fluff manga I've ever read, and that's really saying something. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to reading this one.
Andrea Childers
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was great. I wasn't expecting it to end on a cliffhanger though so if you read this, have book 2 close by unlike me. I think Kiri was a great female lead.
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this entire manga. Though predictable, it left me with a warm, glowing feeling at the end. I laughed and smiled throughout. I still feel a little dubious about the "give a girl confidence by making her beautiful" mantra, but I think it was well done.

Echoes of Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 throughout. If you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, library-books
This is really fun and quirky. The characters are silly, but I really like Kiri and her blase attitude. She does magic but I feel like a large part of it is she makes the people whose hair she cuts feel confident and beautiful. And when her friend didn't keep the look she was okay with it because she said it didn't feel right. It's just so fun and cute!!
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
right out of the gateeeeee i cant wait to see what happens next
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Resparked an interest in hair.
Elisabeth (Enthralled by the Written Word)
I *think* I’ve read this first volume before. Anyway, it’s so cute and I think the premise is original and fun. Can’t wait to finally read the rest.
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Super cute - hope the series keeps up at this pace as I'm sure it will be one I love if it does.
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love it!! Storyline very interesting and fresh. It's one of those manga that leaves a great impression and can't easily forget about it.
Em Mirra
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Never gets old.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Very good series!
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
well I love the way arai sensei create the main character kiri 😆 cool, easy going, and how the story flowing 5/5 for kiyoko arai sensei
Laura (ローラ)
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: so-so
"Want me to do some magic on you?"

Kiri is a young girl with short hair that has the personality of cardboard. In fact, she is Haruhi from Ouran, except she actually grew on me. Despite her lack of personaliy, I found myself rooting for her because she seemed the ONLY person with a BRAIN and a sense of justice. She stuck up for some girl she didn't know, though we are made to believe that apparently they already knew each other?

I get that this is shoujo, and that since it is also a manga, tons of
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recently reread the first three volumes of this series, and even though it's just as predictable as I remembered it, I enjoyed it just as thoroughly the second time around.

A popular boys clique called "The Scissors Project" has gained almost a rock star following at their school for their surprise makeovers on hand-picked subjects. The happy-go-lucky (and somewhat immature) Kei Minami specializes in nails, Kazuhiko Ochiai specializes in cosmetics and overall beauty, and Shogo Narumi is the sel
Maricar (BookOaths)
3.5-3.75 stars .

Review for the whole manga can also be found on BookOaths.

I would’ve probably liked this manga better if I were between the ages of 12-15. Then, I won’t have any high expectations of what a great story should be, a great guy should be and the likes.

Overall, Beauty Pop (BP) is a cute manga. I am pretty sure young people will like and appreciate it more.

Given that I am already 22, I have long since surpassed the liking-the-cute-things stage. I am now looking for a more mature stor
Fangirl Musings
Okay, that was just the cutest thing that ever cuted! Kiri is a really likable character, and I enjoy her blasé sense of self. She is someone with a very strong understanding of who she is, and she seems extremely passionate about her talents as a stylist. Though, what makes her more interesting, I think, is her apparent reluctance to pursue the field.

Narumi, the spoiled unlikable, probable main male lead, puts an interesting juxtaposition against Kiri. The dude's a flat out douche-pot, but he'
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, completed
see full review @ Katie's Corner

Well after intense February, I’m having a small shoujo showdown. Basically, I mostly review shoujo, but during December (that’s when this review is written) I was craving something totally moe and was rereading some of the “romance” shoujo’s that I hadn’t reviewed yet. So let me start from the very beginning.

This story is a let down in a romance department, especially in the main couple. I wanted to see more, it was expected that Ki-chan will end up with Naru, but
Arabella Cavazos
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Kiri Koshiba uses her magnificent hairstyling talents to help brighten up the lives of girls, but she does so anonymously. On the other hand, Scissors Project, "SP", an egoistic but noteworthy group made up of three boys at school, gives grand makeovers to handpicked girls. Shougo Narumi, the head of the group and a hairstyling genius in his own right, finds himself butting heads with Kiri. To make matters worse, Ochiai, another member of SP, plots to expose Kiri's talents. As much as Ki
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth W
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great manga overall, I would recommend this for people who are interested in manga or graphic novels. The main character Kiri Koshiba is a very talented hairstylist, but her appearance gives the opposite idea, she has a relaxed demeanor, doesn't feel the need to get involved with the popular hairstylists at her school, and doesn't necessarily have aspirations. She uses her "magic" to give people who are usually rejected, bullied, or have low self-esteem a new image. The "Sp" or scissor ...more
Zahwa az-Zahra
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Kau mau kuberikan sihir?"

kalimat itulah yang selalu diucapkan Koshiba Kiri setiap kali menawarkan diri untuk menata rambut seseorang. Kiri hanyalah gadis biasa. Penampilannya biasa, memiliki teman-teman yang biasa, dan rambut yang (terlihat) biasa. Bisa dibilang cukup tomboy dan cuek. Tapi, siapa sangka kalau ternyata dia sangat mahir dalam menata rambut dan menjadikan siapapun yang terkena "sihir"nya menjadi tampak cantik. *tau lah yaa bagi sebagian wanita, mahkota mereka ada pada rambut..

Anime/Manga Club!: * MM Aug. Beauty Pop 10 21 Aug 13, 2013 04:56AM
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Volume 01
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 02
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01 (Gakuen Alice, #1)
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1)
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • High School Debut, Vol. 03 (High School Debut, #3)
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 1
  • Love★Com, Vol. 1
  • Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1)
  • Imadoki! Nowadays, Vol. 1 (Imadoki! Nowadays, #1)
  • Nosatsu Junkie, Volume 1
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • Othello, Volume 1
あらい きよこ in Japanese.
Pen name of Kiyoko Haru.
More about Kiyoko Arai...

Beauty Pop (10 books)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 2 (Beauty Pop, #2)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 3 (Beauty Pop, #3)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 4 (Beauty Pop, #4)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 5 (Beauty Pop, #5)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 6 (Beauty Pop, #6)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 7 (Beauty Pop, #7)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 8 (Beauty Pop, #8)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 9 (Beauty Pop, #9)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 10 (Beauty Pop, #10)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)