Start by marking “Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)” as Want to Read:
Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)

Comet in Moominland

(Mumintrollen #2)

When Moomintroll learns that a comet will be passing by, he and his friend Sniff travel to the Observatory on the Lonely Mountains to consult the Professors. Along the way, they have many adventures, but the greatest adventure of all awaits them when they learn that the comet is headed straight for their beloved Moominvalley.
Published May 22nd 1986 by A & C Black (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Comet in Moominland, please sign up.
Ivan Monckton Last year. They are all being re-released in collector's hardback editions 2017-18

Hannah Greendale
[Note: Rating increased from 3 to 4 stars after reading the first moomin book, The Moomins and the Great Flood.]

Moomintroll’s quiet life is upended when foreboding images of a star with a tail send him journeying to speak with the Professors at the Observatory. Meeting new friends along the way and forging through perilous adventures together, Moomintroll and his companions arrive at the Observatory where they learn a comet is headed towards earth. Worse yet – the comet is predicted to land prec
Manny
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows some German
As I've said many times on this site, I dislike translations on principle - but I am trying to do something about my miserable German, and when I saw this book at Foyles last week it immediately seemed like a good idea. I know the Swedish original well, and I figured that it should be easy to read and would improve my sketchy vocabulary. That worked out even better than I had hoped, and I already feel measurably more confident.

What surprised me, though, was that for once I experienced the trans
Hilary
Moomin and Sniff explore a path which leads to the beach, they play, look at nature and find a cave, but they feel uneasy as they start to notice patterns carved into trees and objects, even seagulls arranged into the shape of a star with a tail. Moomin and Sniff set off on a journey to the observatory to find out what is happening.

We really enjoyed the details in this story, and the ideas. Before reading this for the first time as a child I had never thought what the ocean floor would look like
Richard Derus
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an inner child still stirring
Recommended to Richard by: the librarian at Pillow Elementary School in Austin, Texas
This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Pippi Longstocking, Beezus and Ramona, and other children's books that speak to adults
How can it be that, unlike in the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe, the Moomin sagas never caught on in the United States? Finnish author Tove Jansson's tales of the white, hippo-like Moomintroll and his parents, Moominmamma and Moominpappa, would delight children and parents alike, the latter probably enjoying them even more, as adults can get the sly humor. I simply don't understand how Moominmania could possibly have bypassed the United States when it swept through Europe?

Comet in Moomin
Manny
A beautiful, ironic parody of the Armageddon-style killer meteorite movie, written before any of them existed. There are so many brilliant little details. I particularly loved the out-of-touch astronomers at the observatory, who have calculated exactly when the comet will strike ("possibly four seconds later," they add scrupulously), but seem completely uninterested by the fact that it will wipe out everyone in Moomin Valley.

In case you're worried, though, the Moomin family is more than a match
Manybooks
This here (and unfortunately also extremely rare and generally rather massively expensive if indeed even available used online) Ravensburger Taschenbücher German language translation of Tove Jansson's Komet im Mumintal (which Swedish language original title on the Goodreads database is Kometer kommer, although Vivica and Kurt Bandler's 1970 translation actually claims the original title to have been Kometjakten) was one of my favourite childhood reads (a book that I received in a large stack of ...more
P42
Feb 06, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
description

Najlepsze, co można czytać, kiedy człowiek umiera od sesji!

Muminki mnie zaskakują: może odzwyczaiłem się od bajek i dziwi mnie to niemalże "prorocze" poszerzanie drużyny mieszkającej w dolinie? może nie spodziewałem się znaleźć tak dużo smaczków dla starszych czytelników? może nadinterpretuje pewne wzorce osobowe, czy zachowania bohaterów dostrzegając w nich konkretne syndromy psychologiczne?

Mimo powyższego moje zdanie o najbardziej znanej serii Tove Jansson wyklaruje się najpewniej jeszcze p
Emily
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just revisited this book for the first time in a long while by reading it aloud to my 6 year-old. Two main thoughts:

1. I love Tove Jansson. She always writes with a slightly off-beat charm (one of my favorite bits in this book is the title of the butterfly collecting Hemulin's book, Moths of the Eastern Hemisphere: their Behavior and Misbehavior) and her stories tend to swing uneasily between the surreal (Hattifatteners, anyone?) and the comforting (coffee and cake), a style which I found somew
Holly Dunn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just delightful! I never read these as a child, but I believe this is the beginning of a new obsession.
Suvi
Like so many Finnish children of a certain generation, I grew up watching the Moomins tv-series (there are still reruns every once in a while, and the magic has never faded) and visited Moomin World. Now, to honor Tove Jansson's centenary, I started a project of reading all her Moomin books. Maybe the rest of her body of work as well, if I have the time or enthusiasm.

I read The Moomins and the Great Flood a while back, so I started from this one, which got things going on a larger scale. When th
Robert
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Moomins, a family of trolls, have appeared in my life in various ways; I vaguely remember having read (or having been read) one of the novels as a young child - as an older child I remember the animated series on television. I happened across it by accident and spent much time in enjoyable confusion about the names and natures of the seemingly infinite cast of characters. This year I decided I wanted to find out more than my hazy memories could tell me and in the process stumbled across the ...more
Dov Zeller
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics-comics, kids
Tove Jansson is a genius! Her humor is always understated and overdone -- a unique absurdist matter of fact emotionally evasive and, of course, refreshingly direct, marshmallowy slapstick.

"I can't leave my imperial snorks to the comet!"

I so love the ghost in this one, and the dance, the heroic tree-climbing incident, and the moving of things to "safer places." The disappearing ocean, the pisciculturist, his screaming shrimp, and the fantastic finale.

Jansson makes terrible fun of dramatic tens
Candace
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Moomin books are always deceptively simple. I love how Jansson balances the matter-of-fact and the bizarre, and always constructs her stories with her characters front and centre, with all their flaws and quirks and earnest humanity. I always feel like I've learned some big things after reading these. I was especially interested in checking this one out as I hadn't read it before, and it's the first appearance of Snufkin, who is in a lot of ways my favourite character.
Vít Kotačka
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, nordic
Jak už jsem zmiňoval ve své recenzi Tatínek a moře, byla mi v dětství většina muminích příběhů upřena. Tedy i ten nejzásadnější, jak se všechny stěžejní postavy potkaly.

Na Muminí údolí se řítí apokalyptická pohroma a Muminek se se svým kamarádem Čenichem vydávají na výpravu do hvězdárny v Opuštěných horách, aby o tom zjistili něco konkrétního. (Je s podivem, s jakou lehkostí je muminkova maminka vypraví na cestu.) Muminek cestou poprvé potkává svého (budoucího) nejlepšího přítele Šňupálka a poz
ABC
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: older-kids
Well, well, well. A while back, I was originally wary about starting this book because I thought the idea was weird for a children's book. (A comet about to destroy the world.) Comets destroying the world are on my top ten "Scary" list....

Anyway, after months of forgetting about this book and then remembering it, I don't know what made me start it after surving a huge earthquake in real life. (Not very smart of me.) I think that somehow (despite the title) I forgot it was about a comet hurtling
Arielle Walker
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've visited the land of the Moomintrolls, and it truly has not dulled with age. Just as beautiful, interesting and odd as I remember!
Przemysław Garczyński (3telnik.pl)
Muminki są GE-NIAL-NE! A scena w sklepie to po prostu mistrzostwo świata <3 płakałem ze śmiechu z pięć minut :D
Bronislava Sencakova
Putovanie Mumintrolla so Sniffom tam a naspäť a príbeh o tom, ako sa cestou spriatelili so (Snus)Mumrikom, Snorkou a Snorkom. Kométa, strach z konca sveta, fajčiaci vedci v observatóriu, priateľstvo a suchý humor. Veľa pamätných scén: nakupovanie a platenie v obchode (8 mariek, 74 penni), sťahovanie celej domácnosti (vrátane vane!) do jaskyne, prechod morským dnom na chodúľoch, zakrývanie kométy...

Tove dokáže v dvojvetovom dialógu prehĺbiť charakter postáv aj ich vzájomný vzťah. A tie hlášky mlá
Pekka
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ensimmäinen itse lukemani muumikirja! Olin toki kuullut sen lapsena, äiti luki meille melkein ne kaikki. ♥ Jännimmät kohdat muistin sieltä yli kolmen vuosikymmenen takaa.
Michael
A fantastical, whimsical, comical, almost tragical adventure in which Moomintroll is involved in a child's-eye-view of the impending apocalypse. Along the way, he meets strange characters, some of whom will become beloved friends of both the Moomins and the reader (Snufkin, I'm talking about you!).

It's no spoiler - there's another seven books in the series - to say that everything turns out OK. The enjoyment is in the journey and the heroic and cowardly antics of the Moomins and friends and, for
Booklepuff
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 4.5 Stars read for me!

I received the first four newly released Special Edition Moomin books for Christmas and firstly I need to comment on how beautiful they are! The covers, illustrations and extra details are just beautiful and a great quality!

Comet in Moominland was a very fun, adventurous read which introduced all of the main characters! I loved the whimsical nature of the book, in that even with a Comet looming overhead, the Moomintroll and friends still find time to battle a cr
Katri
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These books are big classics here in Finland, but it had been ages since I'd last read them, so I felt like picking them up again. I'd half forgotten what a charming, unique fantasy world Tove Jansson creates here, with her lovely characters and her use of language (though I read these in Finnish translation from the original Swedish). Somehow books like this comfort me and make me believe that life will be all right. At the same time the books subtly say a lot of things about life and people, w ...more
Iria
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unha riquiñura de libro, mais a Tove Jansson xa podía ter rebaixado o machismo porque mimadriña...
tooliepanna
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scandinavia
Kocham niezmiennie i śmieję się na głos.
Tracey
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming and delightful. The illustrations are just as charming. If you haven't met a moomin yet, rectify that asap.
I think I like Snufkin and the Muskrat the most but Moominmamma is the mother all children's books should have, and Moomintroll is simply adorable.
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti ei oo koskaan ollu mun lempparein tarina, mutta jotenkin tällä lukukerralla tarina aukesi aivan eri tavalla!
Jinnie Stork
En mysig start på Mumin-serien. Många personligheter man känner igen både sig själv och andra i presenteras i boken, och jag tycker om hur Jansson beskriver skräcken för jordens undergång. Även Sniff och hans kattunge är en fint berättad sekvens, och som jag känner igen mig själv i.

Kim
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
Hooray, my library seems to be getting in the new editions of the Moomin books! So you can expect more reviews of them from me by and by.

Comet in Moominland was the first full-length Moomin novel, published nearly 65 years ago. (The very first Moomin book, The Moomins and the Great Flood came out in 1945, so the Moomins celebrate their 65th anniversary this year.) The Moomin books in general are self-contained enough that the reader can start with any one of them, however, Comet in Moominland in
Which are the best 4 Moomin books? 1 7 Dec 14, 2017 08:25AM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Findus and the Fox
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
“You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.” 119 likes
“But that's how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don't have to carry a suitcase.” 62 likes