Start by marking “Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)” as Want to Read:
Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)

Comet in Moominland (The Moomins #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  7,463 Ratings  ·  389 Reviews
When Moomintroll learns that a comet will be passing by, he and his friend Sniff travel to the Observatory on the Lonely Mountains to consult the Professors. Along the way, they have many adventures, but the greatest adventure of all awaits them when they learn that the comet is headed straight for their beloved Moominvalley.
Published May 22nd 1986 by A & C Black (first published 1946)

Richard Derus
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an inner child still stirring
Recommended to Richard by: the librarian at Pillow Elementary School in Austin, Texas
This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Manny
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows some German
As I've said many times on this site, I dislike translations on principle - but I am trying to do something about my miserable German, and when I saw this book at Foyles last week it immediately seemed like a good idea. I know the Swedish original well, and I figured that it should be easy to read and would improve my sketchy vocabulary. That worked out even better than I had hoped, and I already feel measurably more confident.

What surprised me, though, was that for once I experienced the trans
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Pippi Longstocking, Beezus and Ramona, and other children's books that speak to adults
How can it be that, unlike in the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe, the Moomin sagas never caught on in the United States? Finnish author Tove Jansson's tales of the white, hippo-like Moomintroll and his parents, Moominmamma and Moominpappa, would delight children and parents alike, the latter probably enjoying them even more, as adults can get the sly humor. I simply don't understand how Moominmania could possibly have bypassed the United States when it swept through Europe?

Comet in Moomin
Manny
A beautiful, ironic parody of the Armageddon-style killer meteorite movie, written before any of them existed. There are so many brilliant little details. I particularly loved the out-of-touch astronomers at the observatory, who have calculated exactly when the comet will strike ("possibly four seconds later," they add scrupulously), but seem completely uninterested by the fact that it will wipe out everyone in Moomin Valley.

In case you're worried, though, the Moomin family is more than a match
Emily
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just revisited this book for the first time in a long while by reading it aloud to my 6 year-old. Two main thoughts:

1. I love Tove Jansson. She always writes with a slightly off-beat charm (one of my favorite bits in this book is the title of the butterfly collecting Hemulin's book, Moths of the Eastern Hemisphere: their Behavior and Misbehavior) and her stories tend to swing uneasily between the surreal (Hattifatteners, anyone?) and the comforting (coffee and cake), a style which I found somew
Suvi
Like so many Finnish children of a certain generation, I grew up watching the Moomins tv-series (there are still reruns every once in a while, and the magic has never faded) and visited Moomin World. Now, to honor Tove Jansson's centenary, I started a project of reading all her Moomin books. Maybe the rest of her body of work as well, if I have the time or enthusiasm.

I read The Moomins and the Great Flood a while back, so I started from this one, which got things going on a larger scale. When th
Robert
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Moomins, a family of trolls, have appeared in my life in various ways; I vaguely remember having read (or having been read) one of the novels as a young child - as an older child I remember the animated series on television. I happened across it by accident and spent much time in enjoyable confusion about the names and natures of the seemingly infinite cast of characters. This year I decided I wanted to find out more than my hazy memories could tell me and in the process stumbled across the ...more
Dov Zeller
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics-comics, kids
Tove Jansson is a genius! Her humor is always understated and overdone -- a unique absurdist matter of fact emotionally evasive and, of course, refreshingly direct, marshmallowy slapstick.

"I can't leave my imperial snorks to the comet!"

I so love the ghost in this one, and the dance, the heroic tree-climbing incident, and the moving of things to "safer places." The disappearing ocean, the pisciculturist, his screaming shrimp, and the fantastic finale.

Jansson makes terrible fun of dramatic tens
Candace
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Moomin books are always deceptively simple. I love how Jansson balances the matter-of-fact and the bizarre, and always constructs her stories with her characters front and centre, with all their flaws and quirks and earnest humanity. I always feel like I've learned some big things after reading these. I was especially interested in checking this one out as I hadn't read it before, and it's the first appearance of Snufkin, who is in a lot of ways my favourite character.
Arielle Walker
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've visited the land of the Moomintrolls, and it truly has not dulled with age. Just as beautiful, interesting and odd as I remember!
Przemysław Garczyński (3telnik.pl)
Muminki są GE-NIAL-NE! A scena w sklepie to po prostu mistrzostwo świata <3 płakałem ze śmiechu z pięć minut :D
ABC
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: older-kids
Well, well, well. A while back, I was originally wary about starting this book because I thought the idea was weird for a children's book. (A comet about to destroy the world.) Comets destroying the world are on my top ten "Scary" list....

Anyway, after months of forgetting about this book and then remembering it, I don't know what made me start it after surving a huge earthquake in real life. (Not very smart of me.) I think that somehow (despite the title) I forgot it was about a comet hurtling
Katri
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These books are big classics here in Finland, but it had been ages since I'd last read them, so I felt like picking them up again. I'd half forgotten what a charming, unique fantasy world Tove Jansson creates here, with her lovely characters and her use of language (though I read these in Finnish translation from the original Swedish). Somehow books like this comfort me and make me believe that life will be all right. At the same time the books subtly say a lot of things about life and people, w ...more
Iria
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unha riquiñura de libro, mais a Tove Jansson xa podía ter rebaixado o machismo porque mimadriña...
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti ei oo koskaan ollu mun lempparein tarina, mutta jotenkin tällä lukukerralla tarina aukesi aivan eri tavalla!
Melora
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second reading of this one, and I still don't love it. Looking back at my comments from 2011 (from a different edition, and GR won't let me combine them), I see "cute but not compelling." This time, perhaps because I've read the whole series now, even the "cute" has worn off. I can see the "social commentary" that people mention, but it has no depth, and I don't like any of the characters except the philosophical muskrat, who is an Eeyore figure, and the Moomin parents, who are only bit players ...more
Raquel
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descobrir a literatura infanto-juvenil com olhar de pessoa adulta é algo que deveríamos experimentar frequentemente, quanto mais não seja para, de vez em quando, voltarmos a encontrar aquele pequeno ser dentro de nós que sonha acordado e ainda acredita em magia. ‘O Cometa na Terra dos Mumins’ teve esse efeito em mim - de uma prenda de Natal adorável, transformou-se numa verdadeira viagem por histórias e emoções inesquecíveis.

em
Deborah O'Carroll
Well, strike me pink, that was a rollicking delight of fun and charming oddness!

(Especially reading it aloud with British accents, because it did seem to call for it, despite the fact it's originally Swedish.)

I believe it's quite possible that I'm now thoroughly addicted to the world of the Moomins, and look forward to diving into the next few I have lined up!
Tuomas Saloranta
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sympaattinen pikku tarina maailmanlopusta. Hahmoille rakennetaan pienessä tilassa toimiva persoonallisuus (vaikka jotkut jäävät vielä taka-alalle), maailma erikoisine paikkoineen ja olentoineen on varsin kiehtova, ja huumori toimii aikuislukijallekin.
SoJuno
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Ηλίας
Δεν καταλαβαινω γιατι η πρώτη περιπέτεια των Μούμιν δεν ειναι εξίσου διάσημη με, ας πουμε, το Χόμπιτ.
Jaana
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, lovely
Toipa ihanat muistot mieleen lapsuudesta sekä Muumeista!
Io Nuca
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toate ca toate, dar să ai un personaj pe care-l cheamă Smiorc?! Priceless! :)
Kristin Boldon
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, read-aloud, 2017
A delightful read aloud. I love these weird little Moomins. Reminds me of AA Milne's Pooh stories.
lukk
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Все вокруг читали Янссон в детстве, помнят эти картинки, а я вот пришла к ним только будучи уже взрослой теткой с грузом всякой чепухи в голове. Может, если бы я росла на таких книгах, я была бы еще упоротее 8)
У Туве я читала только ее «взрослую» прозу. Так зачитывалась, что мир казался не мил, причем в самом хорошем смысле. Она — маэстро недосказанностей, когда после каждого короткого пассажа хотелось остановиться и понаслаждться приятным ощущением щемления в сердечке.
Потрясающее имя — Туве. Та
Bjorn
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland
Everytime I re-read (or re-listen, in this case, listening to Jansson's own recording of the book) the Moomins as an adult I fall more in love with them.

For all that the Simpsons ripped this novel off for "Bart's Comet", I find myself thinking more of a better version of Miracle Mile. Yes, it's unmistakably a children's story, but it never pussies out; originally conceived shortly after WWII, the disaster is unmistakably REAL. The various reactions of the scientists who view it from afar, the s
Stephen Curran
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Written long before climate change was a pressing concern, it's hard not to read Comet in Moominland as an allegory for something that had yet to happen (like Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers became a premonitory allegory for the Chernobyl disaster). As the comet approaches, the Earth heats up and the water evaporates, leaving Moomintroll and his companions to cross a barren seabed on stilts. Catastrophe looms over everything. Even as the woodland creatures throw a party, the great des ...more
Michael
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fanatical, whimsical, comical, almost tragical adventure in which Moomintroll is involved in a child's-eye-view of the impending apocalypse. Along the way, he meets strange characters, some of whom will become beloved friends of both the Moomins and the reader (Snufkin, I'm talking about you!).

It's no spoiler - there's another seven books in the series - to say that everything turns out OK. The enjoyment is in the journey and the heroic and cowardly antics of the Moomins and friends and, for c
Carmyn
I have heard of the Moomins because I keep running across them on blogs. People love the Moomins. It turns out the stories were written in the 40s and 50s by a Finnish author. I discovered a Moomin memorabilia display and a handful of her books for sale at a store in the Twin Cities and I decided I needed to explore. After all, one of my favorite authors is Astrid Lindgren and she was Swedish... it turns out that Lindgren and Jansson have something in common. They both have a remarkable wit and ...more
Alexander Sjödin Lundholm
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with an inner little philosopher, adventurer, and/or child.
Shelves: favorites
Få romaner innehåller så träffande vishet som Tove Janssons serie om Mumintrollen. Och då menar jag inte inom spektrumet "barnböcker", utan i största allmänhet.

Jansson behöver inte säga så värst mycket i fråga om antalet ord. Istället säger hon saker på ett sådant sätt att praktiskt taget vem som helst kan uppskatta dem.

Först hade jag tänkt att lista några favoritexempel, men det är nog lika bra att du hittar dina egna istället. För om du är mellan 5 och 150 år så är chansen ganska stor att du
Nate D
Jan 25, 2012 marked it as read-in-2012
Recommends it for: little animals
Recommended to Nate D by: Maya
Shelves: finland
After reading some of Tove Jansson's later excellent work for grown-ups, I had to swoop back and check her children's books. I actually remember seeing all of these at the liobrary as a child, but being uninterested for whatever reason. But now I wish I had looked closer then, as Jansson has a pretty fantastic touch here, light, brisk adventure stories, nonetheless imbued with real insights into how people behave and what the important things are. Not so different from her later stuff, just a bi ...more
Author -> Tove Jansson 1 64 Mar 24, 2007 03:24PM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Findus and the Fox
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.” 84 likes
“But that's how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don't have to carry a suitcase.” 52 likes