Start by marking “Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)

Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)

You don't really want to read this ...do you? The masters of horror are waiting to take you on a terrifying ride, and there are 13 stops.

Meet the new guy in town, very handsome, very sexy, and very deadly.

Dine on sweet and wonderfully inviting confections - they're good to the last breath.

Learn that some spells can never be broken...

Inside you'll find the works of 13 maste

Paperback, Point Horror, 330 pages
Published December 1992 by Scholastic Children's Books (first published June 19th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Tales of Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Tales of Horror

Lucy Banks
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taking a journey down memory lane...

I remember reading this as a hapless, excessively wimpy 12-year old girl. And then not being able to sleep afterwards. It's fair to say that it's this book (and others like it) that shaped my future reading tastes, not to mention the books I write.

So I was very keen to revisit it, after twenty-odd years (yes it really has been that long) to see what I thought of it now. And I'm glad to report that I enjoyed it just as much as I ever did, but thankfully, wasn'
PurplyCookie
Let these horror masters take you and do their worst---with their best:

Collect Call Part I & Part II by Christoper Pike >> About two girls who drive home after a party, except they get into an accident and one of them dies. Then the remaining girl starts receiving messages on her answering machine from the dead girl. Pike's a wizard at chronicling the soft underbelly of the high school social scene. The first part is better, but the second is necessary to completely understand the sto
James
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book called Thirteen 13 Tales of Horror by 13 Masters of Horror. This book is written by R.L. Stine. This book had thirteen short stories that is good for reading at night and could really get you creep out at night. This book is also a book that will really make you think and hate the endings cause they do not end right. When you reach the end of these short stories it will make you wanna write a better ending to it and have the story keep going on. because as I said earlier ...more
Raimondo
These are a bunch of very quick bites from a baker's dozen of Point Horror authors in the 80's. One takes them like a draught of cool spring water - straight up bottoms up - since they're straightforward, satisfying, and very easy to read.

Most of them adhere to a tried-and-tested sequence. Just have a scary but uncomplicated tale to tell, put all these violent and gory details that are stark and brazen enough to horrify their target audience, maybe put a small twist in the end - et voila! - you
Adriana
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen is a novel comprised of 13 short stories foretelling tales of horror by 13 authors who are masters in this genre. Although there are many themes in this book, one that stands out the most is panicking in the worst case scenarios wont help you.
In these 13 short stories you will read about: calls from dead friends, the disappearance of a girl in a lake, stolen paintings, a new guy in town who actually is a vampire, candy both addicting and deadly, a killer doll, a haunted wax museum, fr
Ja
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book of short stories. Some of them are pretty creepy, something fun to read when your home alone one night, but most just didn't cut it for me. Some were just weird and I'm still trying to figure out what's supposed to be scary about them, and others are laughably stupid. One actually tries to make you scared of deer--DEER. I mean I give the author credit for their effort and creativity, but seriously... I'd have to say that my favorite by far was "collect call" ...more
Tina Alberino
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I will never, ever forget this book. I was ten years old when my mom bought it for me at Barnes and Noble. Back then, the cover was different. Blood oozed from a partially lit brick wall. The cover of the paperback was sort of 3D, with the bricks and blood pressed from the inside of the cover so they had texture. When we were walking through the parking lot to the car, my mom said, "You should feel special. That book is for teenagers. See? It says "thirteen" right on the cover!" I knew she was f ...more
Gina Dickerson
Reading this completely took me back to my teenage years! I devoured lots of Point Horror books when I was a teen. I have read this collection before, and revisiting it was just as entertaining! Great, short stories just perfect for dipping in and out of. I enjoyed the collection.
Rebecca McNutt
For the most part I really liked these stories, but a few of them were really corny and not scary in the least. They were rather predictable, but still had a great use of imagery.
Elena
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Does this really deserve four stars? Probably not. But it was just so fun reading these as an adult.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in middle or high school and I STILL think about these stories. Some of the best thrillers I have ever read!
Jessica
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

Decent “horror” reads, though they were all quite predictable and none were terrifying.
Paul Kim
Will keep updating this as I read other short stories and give my overall thoughts on this collection.

Collect Call 1 by Christopher Pike

A bit bizarre because the events just happen without much explanation. The writing is pretty good as the maian character's thought seem more believable and leads to me smirking some of the writing due to how offbeat it is sometimes. There are some creepy scenes as well and the story keeps me reading as I want to know what's going on. A good start to this collec
Elizabeth
This is an interesting collection of teen horror stories; it feels a little bit dated (teens listen to cassette tapes and view home computers as novelties) but it's still very readable. Some of the stories are better than others. Some are subtle and understated, while others involve unnatural elements right from the beginning. Some build slowly, keeping the readers guessing until the very end. There is a mix of happy and sad stories, and a mix of the supernatural and the realistic.

I was surprise
Guillermo
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that I enjoyed the simple, not-so-complex writing but the read was comforting. It reminded me of better days when I first picked up books to escape reality rather than be reminded of it.

R.L. Stein, of course, being the only author I've read as a kid - his Goosebumps novellas were my introduction to the awesome world of reading - I was reintroduced to familiar names that filled the shelves of my female cousins. Namely, Christopher Pike whose Slumber Party cover always reminded me of a young c
Claire Muncaster
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
i'll never, ever forget this book. I think I was really too old for it, but along with the potted plant story, I loved the Pike story so much I cried that the main character, Bobby, was not real, I'm not too sure why I wanted him to be real so badly; he's ten times worse than the standard Point Horror Boy. He'd make most girls run a mile. The girl who goes to watch the film with him that she so clearly states she doesn't like has two legs, both of which work, and she could quite easily say “I'm ...more
Weathervane
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A collection of scary stories, with varying quality. One which left a memorable impression considered deer with wide black eyes, reminiscent, to me, of alien greys. It also drew a comparison between the rustle of branches on bare trees during the winter with the rasp of a sore throat -- particularly effective to this reader, since the fall is often when I come down with a cold. The atmosphere the author created was strange and fairly original.

The other story with aftertaste concerned a shop, I t
Ying
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I've read it so many times and I still enjoy it. An excellent collection of stories from accomplished writers, while these stories didn't have me on the edge of the seat, bristling in fear at the mysterious footsteps in the attic, they were amusing to read. Curl- up- in- your- bed- under- the- covers good read!!! ;D
Scarett
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
I love this book! at first my sister got it for me when she went to the library after that we could not find it again and we searched everywhere, after a year we gave up but then she found it and bought it for my birthday...we started to think it was going to turn into a creepy pasta when we couldn't find the book.
Sundeep Supertramp
completed reading it.. took a long time to complete... cause it is pretty boring.. the books starts with something very much boring.. then there are like7 out of 13 stories which really pi*sed me off..
never this i never believe that books could scare ppl.. this proved me wrong.. worth a read... if you are a new to this horror thing in books.. dont expect a lot of horror...
Crystal Kwan
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was creepy,and action-packed! It gave me shivers in the entire book, a real page turner no matter how terrifying it is, I almost got nightmares as I read it before bed-time. 13 different stories written by 13 famous authors. I could completely imagine the situation in my head (descriptive). It was also very exciting, as there were sudden twists in the story.
Nora
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of scary to me but then again i was trying to imagine that happening and i was freaked out . I learned from this book a lot of different things for example saying that happens a lot which what goes around comes around if you want people to be nice to you you have to be nice to them.
Amy
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen storys of Horror from 13 masters of horror. What's in store for these characters in each of the 13 short storys? This book is sure to give you a good chill to the bone and make you feel close to death; almost though. But come in close your eyes relax and have a little fun. Those sounds you hear is only the beginning
Amy
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was obsessed with this book after a friend loaned me her copy in the 6th grade. It introduced me to the Scholastic's Point Horror imprint, which lead me to read Christopher Pike, Richie Tankerseley Cusick, R.L. Stine, Diane Hoh, Ellen Emerson White, Caroline B. Cooney, D.E Athkins, A. Bates, and more.
Jennie
I owned a pathetically tattered copy of this book when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. I finally decided to get rid of it when I had to carry the loose pages around in a Ziploc bag. A great pulp horror novel, especially for younger readers just getting into the genre.
Connie
I got this book on clearance at Half Price Books for only a dollar. I didn't realize that is was YA. It was ok. The scary point of these stories is that seemingly normal, well-adjusted teens are the things to be afraid of. On the other hand, most mom's can tell you that!
Madame Jane
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Collect Call by C Pike was my favourite. Dedicated To the One I Love, The Boy Next Door, and Lucinda are second faves (excellent twists) . Definitely a book to read if you are interested in teen horror/suspense tales. I really enjoyed it, even though it took me 8 days to finish.
Melissa
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you like something scary this book should do the trick. It has 13 different stories in it by 13 different authors. When I read this book it was at night and I still remember one of the stories scaring me. I read it along time ago so I don't remember details.
Sabrina
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book--but i only read christopher pikes collect call 1 & 2. I had no idea who the other authors were and i HATE r l steine, i only got this book bc i love mr pike, his story was amazing and i loved reading it, it was interrsting and full of suspense!
Lacey
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I almost forgot that I had read this book before. I began to read it again and all of the stories flooded back into my mind and I remembered that I enjoyed this book. It's funny how something can trigger a memory..and seeing the cover did it for me. Fun book!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Christopher Pike's Tales of Terror: Volume 2
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • The Snowman
  • The Yearbook
  • The Bride
  • The Diary
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)