Start by marking “Down the Bright Way” as Want to Read:
Down the Bright Way

Down the Bright Way

In the deepness of space there are millions of worlds like our own - and each with its own humanity. They are linked by the Bright, an ancient pathway between the stars created by an ancient, godlike race known only as the Makers. Now humanity travels the Bright, uniting its worlds to a common desiny. But the Bright can also be travelled by those bent on destruction - ...more
Paperback
Published October 2nd 2003 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Down the Bright Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the Bright Way

Start your review of Down the Bright Way
David H.
Sep 08, 2019 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Why I didn't finish this: I love Robert Reed's Greatship stories, but this one is very Earth-based, and I think I thought it was a different book that I've been trying to find, so instead I got this weird parallel Earth visiting story which features a weird dude who wants to pretend to be one of the parallel-Earth humans instead of a normal Earth human.
Roddy Williams
‘In the deepness of space there are millions of worlds like our own. All are linked by The Bright, a pathway between the stars, created by an ancient godlike race known only as The Makers.

Now Humanity travels the Bright, uniting its worlds to a common destiny and a better future. But they do not travel alone. For others have discovered this gateway to the stars and they are planning to use it for a far more deadly purpose.’

Blurb from the 2003 Orbit paperback edition.

Reed takes the premise that,
Marcel
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
not a bad book
but just didnt do it for me
you know those stories where you read a entire book or sit through an entire movie and at the end you think you were just told a 5 minute story? I don't mean the case where time passes quickly but where you feel you haven't been told anything at all, or not enough...

That's how I felt after reading Down The Bright Way.

It has a number of great ideas and concepts, but somehow the overall premise which was built up massively didn't delivery at all, and what
Kersplebedeb
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
i must say, Mr Reed does like the "deep time" backdrop to his stories; in fact, come to think of it, it is what first appealed to me about his writing

briefly and without spoilers, this is a story of two possible results of asymetrical cross-cultural contact - i want to say "colonialism" but that's not true in the story's terms, although one guesses that the story retold by another author might have developed that frame. the political themes, if they are even intentional, are very muted, this is
Ken Ramsay
Feb 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get excited about this book. The first half is a slow introduction to the characters and setting the scene. Then the pace picks up for a while but I found it difficult to maintain interest and eventually gave up. There is not enough development of the central idea to compensate for the lack of action or character development for me.
Rod Hyatt
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it

Drones on and on, building the story way to slow. Can't finish. Must have something a little faster out the gate. Got about half way, no further.
Maria Frank
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
It took me months to read the first half it was do slow. There is a lot if plodding.before you get to the interesting bits just over half way through.
Lilla Smee
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Looking forward to indulging in another novel by Reed - loved Marrow and Sister Alice.
Frank
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into it.
Jonathan
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gone
Big ideas can be dull.
Lord Humungus
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
One of the few Robert Reed books that I was engaged in throughout and where I wasn't wholly dissatisfied with the ending. A good yarn.
James
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Medicore really; quite enjoyable whilst reading but completely forgettable.
Dusty The2ofHarts-com
Science Fiction. Original idea, but not a favorite.
John
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good book - I ran across it almost by accident but it has an intriguing premise and satisfying ending.
Ciaron
Apr 05, 2012
Terry
Jan 04, 2013
Tufty McTavish
rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2009
Peter Etherton
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2017
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Kraken
  • Iron Council (New Crobuzon, #3)
  • Wool (Wool, #1)
  • Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Stochastic Man
  • Embassytown
  • King Rat
  • Children of Time (Children of Time #1)
  • The City & the City
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows (The Cthulhu Casebooks, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl #3)
  • Doctor Who: The TARDIS Handbook
  • The Art of Howl's Moving Castle
  • Doctor Who: Scratchman
  • The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 6: The Calculus Affair / The Red Sea Sharks / Tintin in Tibet (3 Volumes in 1)
  • Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
He has also been published as Robert Touzalin.