Start by marking “The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)

The Emperor's Edge

(The Emperor's Edge #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  11,801 ratings  ·  1,244 reviews
The adventure starts here...

Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads. But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she
Published December 22nd 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's Edge, please sign up.
Zoe's Human Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction, or in this case fantasy, that has a historical setting inspired by the steam-powered machinery of the 19th…moreSteampunk is a subgenre of science fiction, or in this case fantasy, that has a historical setting inspired by the steam-powered machinery of the 19th century. It frequently takes place in environments similar to the Victorian era or the American Wild West.
(less)
Zoe's Human It's not listed as such on Amazon, Goodreads, or anywhere that I can find; however, it reads young adult to me.

·  11,801 ratings  ·  1,244 reviews

Helen 2.0
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy-epic, badass
A solid four stars from me for this book's entertainment value. It's a fantasy/steampunk mix with a heist-like plotline that never fails to make me laugh.

The story follows Amaranthe, one of the only female "enforcers" in her empire's capital. She gets on the emperor's top adviser's nerves and ends up as a fugitive from the law, cooking up a scheme to save the emperor's life through criminal means.

Along her journey Amaranthe builds a team of enigmatic followers. This is where the book really sh
Bookwraiths
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

After all my friends had positive things to say about The Emperor’s Edge, I decided to give it a try. Any novel that was described as “one of the bright stars of fantasy self-published fare” was something I had to read. (For those who were wondering, one of my friends used that description.)

Well, after finishing this one, I can understand why so many people adore Lindsay Buroker’s steampunk fantasy epic. However, the fun, campiness of the tale underwhel
Sh3lly
Buddy read with the MacHalo group.

This is a rating of only the first 50%.
So, this is actually a good book with polished writing. However, I don't think it's quite good enough for me to invest in a new 9 book series. So I may as well stop at book 1 since I'm not loving it.

It's hard to describe the story. It's a bit of fantasy and a dab of steampunk. The magic has only just started to unravel at the point I quit. But the female lead, Amaranythe (spelling?) was strong and pretty cool. The male lead
Megan Baxter
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Remember when I was writing, just yesterday, how a lot of fantasy had started to blur together? How I'd read some perfectly competent works that just didn't have their own unique voice - there wasn't anything wrong with them, per se, there just wasn't enough right? This was one of the books I was thinking of.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read th
Willow
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
The Emperor’s Edge is a fun fantasy book. It’s about intrepid, law enforcer, Amaranthe Lokdon, who manages to get on the wrong side of the law (where she definitely doesn’t want to be) when she uncovers a plot against the Emperor. This turns her world upside-down and brings her into contact with all kinds of shady characters.

I liked Amaranthe. She’s sort of like a female Dudley Do Right only much smarter and more inventive, but with all the same noble intentions. And I liked her band of crimina
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The first three books in this fantasy series are Kindle freebies as of January 3, 2017: https://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Edge-...

Amaranthe Lokdon is with the kingdom's law force, dedicated to her job, and good at it, but not everyone around her appreciates a woman in the force. When a notorious assassin, Sicarius, shows up in the city, and the bodies start to pile up, Amaranthe is assigned to the case, even though no one has ever been able to catch Sicarius--those chasing him tend to end up dead
Hannah
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can't believe that such a good book is available for free, but there it is! The Emperor's Edge is a ripping good adventure set in a fantasy world that reminds me faintly of Ancient Rome, but with a light steampunk flavour and plenty of action.

Amaranthe Lokdon, female enforcer, is thrust into more adventure than she had ever wanted when she stumbles upon a plot against the young emperor and becomes the target of the plotters. On the run, she slowly forms a team of outcasts and create a plan to
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Emperor's Edge had been on my Kindle for almost a year, patiently waiting to be read. I bought it on a whim and because it was cheap. Don't judge me. It turned out to be a nice, quick read, but nothing more than that unfortunately.

With The Emperor's Edge, Buroker has written an entertaining fantasy novel with an enjoyable squad of outlaws at its centre, weaving a solid plot of mystery and court intrigue with a feminist touch. It would have, however, needed a polish to stand out amongst other
Mimi
A decent, light fantasy.

It was easy to read and kept the pages turning, and that was all I was looking for this week.

Since this is the author's first book, there are various things in the story that aren't as polished or fully developed as they could have been, like the "steampunk" setting and world building, but I found myself not too preoccupied with figuring them out or trying to make sense of the technology or politics while reading because the story was entertaining and it didn't seem to ta
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
3.5 Perhaps? So this was quite fun- and i'll definitely be returning to the series (quite soon) - but there were some definite issue with the writing/world-building that are hard to overlook. Regardless, I enjoyed myself.

The Characters [were awesome]..

Let's start with Amaranthe, the MC. She's quite likable and relatable. She's a little too smart and righteous for her own good- and I wish I knew more of what makes her so noble. Even still, she's funny and enjoyable, although her thought ramblings
carol.
From my blog at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

Three and a half stars.

2013 ended with a bang; a number of highly recommended books made it to the top of my list and gave a wonderful finish to the year. (Humans of New York, Zoo City, Alif the Unseen, Shipbreaker, and Stray Souls, in case you are wondering). The end of 2014 has been slightly more toward median range with books that entertained–but missed the wow factor. The Emperor’s Edge is one of those that just missed the high bar. Whi
mich
Re-read count: Very Many

So I was trying to think of how I first found out about this series, but I can't remember. All I know is that I was going through an obsessive assassin phase at the time (what, that's not normal?) and I came across this book somehow. And it was awesome.

And yeah, I'm sure it has its share of problems, but this was one of my very first indie series loves and I REALLY love it. So if there are any faults, I am completely blind to it as I am apt to be sometimes when love is in
Mei
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoy immensely a good fantasy read and this is one very easy to like!

There's everything, the nice world building, interesting story line, a strong heroine, an intriguing assasin/hero, great secondary charaters, witty dialogue: what's not to like? :)

I'm jumping on the next! :)

EDIT:
I forgot to say that the romance is absent here... there's a tentative attraction from heroine's part, but that's it! :)
Denisa
Definitely the best series I've read this year

I can't believe there aren't more people reading this! It's so, so much better than you can possibly expect.

I absolutely love all the characters. Yes, Amaranthe is awesome, but she would be nothing without her trusted friends.

As a fantasy reader, you expect a lot from your books. Great heroes, amazing plot, well-written world, a lot of action (and blood and monsters, but maybe that's just me) and an overall story that flows, that lets you wanting mor
Ashley
Update 6/27/18

I was glued to the Hallmark channel (of all places!) and during the commercial break, a movie promo came on, and the male lead, wowza, all my mind was repeating was Sicarius. Sicarius. Sicarius. Now, no one can convince me that minus the tattoos, less beard and more scruff, this is my Sicarius.

Carry on with your day now, and if you still haven't, read this book!

4.25 stars!

First off, thanks a million to Megan for recommending this hidden gem to me!!! Where do I begin? This book is
Tim
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by my wife, and it's easy to see why. The Emperor's Edge is clearly written for women, not so much because of its strong female protagonist, but because the details that are embellished upon cater to (heterosexual) women. Having just finished the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, I am in a good position to elaborate on what I mean, before continuing with my mostly positive review.

In Mistborn, a street urchin named Vin is recruited for a caper and trained to play the
Sylvia Mercedes
Another instance of an awesome book having a less-than-awesome cover. Though this fault (at least in my opinion it’s a fault) doesn’t seem to hurt Lindsay Buroker’s sales at all, as the Emperor’s Edge and it’s continuing series are fantastically popular . . . and deservedly so!

I’ve been told by a trusting reading friend to pick up this series for a while now. She told me that if I loved the Sam Vimes books in the incredible Disc World series (by the inimitable Sir Terry Pratchett) that I would
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This first instalment in The Emperor’s Edge series is entertaining and fun but is quite lacking in terms of world building. It isn’t clear what kind of world the characters evolve in as there are elements of fantasy, magic and steampunk, with some kind of caste system thrown in. Somehow the setting also made me think of Ancient Rome. This was a bit unsettling at first but it didn’t bother me that much after the main characters where introduced and I really got into the story.

The characters are t
Erin O'Roark
This. This was SO FUN.

SO fun, I tell you! Please read this! Everyone! Unless you're a 14 year old who really likes SJM's writing style that has nothing to do with anything except for pecs and whiney heroines, then you really won't love this book about an empowering female who has a witty, fun personality.

I really needed a break from the dreadfully boring, unrealistic world of YA fantasies. And thank GOD I found The Emperor's Edge. How is such a wonderful book FREE?! I'm a lucky girl.

The charact
Sherwood Smith
The two outstanding features are the voice, and Amaranthe, one of the most fun heroines I've met this year. Initially a low-ranking enforcer (cop) for an empire that doesn't encourage women to take up weapons, Amaranthe finds herself turfed summarily out, but before long she is up to her neck in plots, action, chases, along the way introducing the reader to a colorful cast of characters whom you hope will survive long enough to bond into a team.

The world is painted in broad strokes, which is suf
Evgeny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a decent book, especially considering its price on Amazon (free).
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
Rating:...4.5 stars. (I know i'm a b*tch for not giving it 5, but deal with it)

For those of you who haven't read this cool book, please read!

I'm a b*tch for various reasons, one stated above, another one, i'll whatever the hell i want and it'll be short.

1......... The book is awesome. I loved it. I almost went to bed late to start the next book, emphasis on the almost. I need sleep.

2......The characters were a CLAH bunch (Cackle Like A Hen). An unseemly group of individuals, all here for diff
Anachronist
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
My impression:

A high fantasy novel with steampunk elements, featuring an intrepid female protagonist and a stone-faced, ninja-like assassin who simply have to work together and can’t help liking each other more and more – what can go wrong? Add to that a handful of colourful secondary characters: an elderly professor, drowning his sorrows in wine, a handsome and vain swordsman, a surly street rat dabbing in magic, a young and idealistic emperor who, living in a splendid isolation, is being slowl
Snarktastic Sonja
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really struggled with the rating for this book. I have my own little criteria for how many stars I give to books, but I wanted to add 1 to this book - because it was free. But, in the end, I had to be true to my system. I was able to put down this book - the action frequently lulled - but I sure wanted to return to spend time with this little band of characters.

The heroine, Amaranthe, is quite unlike your typical heroine. She is not snarky. She does not kick butt. She is just honorable. And t
Carolyn F.
When I first started this book I was wondering if it would be one I would finish but then within 50 pages it really got interesting. I wish the emperor was in on who the good guys and bad guys are. How are the "bad guys" supposed to support themselves? The magic part is very minimal, there is a huge beast and some wards but that's about it. But so far a really good book.
Mihir
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it

Liviu Suciu previously reviewed Lindsay Buroker’s novel Encrypted on FBC, which is how I became interested in the author’s work. So when I heard about The Emperor’s Edge, a fantasy-steampunk hybrid, I immediately bought a copy on Amazon.

The Emperor’s Edge is set in the capital city of the Turgonian Empire, which is ruled by science and refutes magic as an unworthy practice. It is also facing tension across its borders from the country of Nuria where magic is given free rein. Into this backdrop,
Pippa DaCosta
Jun 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
Because readers in my FB reader group say I NEED to read this!
Dyanna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Emperor's Edger - Trailer

Brilliant, funny and mysterious!
This is how I would describe this book.

The Emperor's Edge it is the first book in an epic fantasy series.

Despite the poorly description on the building world and the magic, I gave this book 5 stars because of the characters. Even if the book lacks in building and description it compensate with how good the characters are so believable and funny.

The book starts with Amaranthe Lokdon, the only woman that works as an imperial law
Dorian
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-ebooks
I saw this recommended somewhere, and when I checked Amazon it was free (and at time of writing still is, so I recommend snapping it up!), so I gave it a go, and I'm very glad I did.

Our heroine, Amaranthe, is at the start of a book an enforcer - what her world calls a police officer. A chance encounter with her Emperor, however, has a most chaotic effect on her life, and soon she's organising a distinctly rag-tag bunch of misfits (I'm sure this ought to be an OMT) to foil a plot against the Empe
Melissa McShane
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Amaranthe. She's competent and clever, but not so powerful that she doesn't fail at things or need help from people. I also liked the team she put together through extortion, bribery and manipulation that ended up actually being a team. And I like her relationship with the assassin Sicarius that may or may not end up romantic, but is definitely one of equals--something I think she needs. The counterfeiting plot to ruin the Empire struck me as a little too pat, ...more

• Scriber
  • All the Paths of Shadow (Paths of Shadow, #1)
  • The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.

The Emperor's Edge (9 books)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)
  • Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8)
  • Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9)
“Trust me, I never underestimate my charm or any of my other magnificent attributes. They work great on women. Alas, men tend to see me as an unwelcome rival. You, he might listen to. You're good at talking people into things."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I'm perched in the rafters of a cannery, at risk from a man-slaying magical creature, and spending time with a drunk, a gangster, and an assassin at . . . what time is it?”
68 likes