Start by marking “Baby Beluga” as Want to Read:
Baby Beluga

Baby Beluga

(Raffi Songs to Read)

Raffi's signature song and the top seller in his Songs to Read series, Baby Beluga is now available in a quality board book edition perfect for his youngest fans.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 12th 1997 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Beluga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Beluga

Start your review of Baby Beluga
Douglas Beagley
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Internet has a small-but-healthy movement called, "The Wholesome Meme". It's the idea that things we share, like, spread, upvote, twit, and post don't all have to be sarcastic, cutting, political, negative, or an ironic callback. It's okay for things to be "wholesome" again: kind, simple, sincere, and filled with whimsy, expressing a love for all existence, whispering "it's okay" before having a bite of amazing pie that was given to you out of kindness, and not sold to you for profit.

Raffi,
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I LOVED Raffi as a kid (and as an adult as I introduced them to my kiddos). This book has wonderful illustrations to go along with one of Raffi's most loved songs.
Lindsay
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
It bothered me how the words didn’t rhyme or match in syllables, but I adored the puffins and whales depicted in the illustrations.
Danielle
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of David's favorite songs!
Michelle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The art is so cute it's just weird when everything is written like a poem
Julia
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first got started with Baby Beluga it was since the song was thought to be one of Michelle Tanner's favorite song on the show. Of course as such it wasn't played the whole way through so I never knew how it went or if the lyrics were the right way or not. Still really don't know.

The illustrations are what has sold me on this book since they are brightly colored and realistic. Also unlike many other illustrations where penguins are included in the Arctic and polar bears in the Antarctic
Mary
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, my-reviews
One day my oldest grandchild came home from pre-school singing Raffi's version of Baby Beluga, straining her voice to sing the refrain LOUDLY when the words of the verses got muddled. I just had to buy the board book when the rest of my grand-babies came along. They LOVE this one, so of COURSE it's fun to read (not to mention it tastes good & is nearly indestructible) ... tough to get that song out of my head though ...
Elaine
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytimes
Somewhat advanced for a board book, but still good!
Allison
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Don't call me stupid, this book is awesome
Emily Cappiello
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: song-books
“Baby Beluga” By Raffi; published by Random House Children’s Books; United States; copyright 1992.

1. Awards the book has received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for children from Preschool-Kindergarten.

3. Summary: This song and book is about a white beluga whale who lives in the ocean. The whale lives with his mother and likes to sing and make new friends. The story is about these adventures in the form of song.

4. Review: I used to
Angie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wasn't very familiar with Raffi before now. I knew he was a prodigious children's music artist who was quite popular after I was a young child and before I had children, so I just didn't have much exposure to him. We picked up this book at the library. It is basically a book version of one of Raffi's songs. Our first reading was before we had heard the song that it goes with. Because of that, the words don't "read" well. Phrasing that works well in a song, and a cadence that isn't familiar ...more
Mama Bibliosoph
Raffi is pure nostalgia and his songs have endured. Some of his hits have been made into picture books as part of the Raffi Songs to Read series. I'd definitely recommend giving your kids the treat of listening to a Raffi album and then reading these books.

I recently had the magical experience of singing "Baby Beluga" in the ocean with my son Harry. I'll absolutely never forget it, and I have Baby Beluga to thank for making such magic possible.

This is one of those books that children who love
Cara LoPresti
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
1. This book has not received any awards.
2. This book is appropriate for PreK through 1st grade.
3. Summary- This book is about a baby beluga who is traveling in the ocean. It shows all the other sea animals he encounters, as well as a human that he encounters.
4. Review- This book is a fun way for children to read/listen to a story. Baby beluga is a well known children's book and it makes it even more interesting, as well as catchy, to have picture that go along with the words of the song. I
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d-songs
1. Recording Industry Association of America Platinum Award, Canadian Recording Industry Association Double Platinum Award
2. Pre-K - 3
3. This is a story about a little baby Beluga whale. It describes all of the adventures the little whale takes on during the day like visiting its friends, and snuggling with family.
4. Baby Beluga is a very cute book for young children. Children would love this book and its personification of the young whale having fun with friends and family. It draws attention
Laura Aldridge
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
So this is a cute song. But it does not translate well to a book. I didn't know the tune at all when I was reading it as I never grew up with the song and so the text was awkward and bumbling for me. I had to read it twice once just text and once with what I thought would be the tune and then I had to listen to the song to get it.

Great song, not a great book.

Also why would you draw orcas on the page that talks about swimming with dolphins? Not a dolphin in the book despite the text saying
Taylor Ball
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate Grade Level: PreKindergarten-1st Grade
Summary: Baby Beluga is a little white whale who swims through the sea. He is happy when he is home with his mama. Baby Beluga swims free through the sea and meets many friends to whom the little whale sings to.
Review: Baby Beluga is a catchy and awesome songbook to sing with your younger students. Your students and/or children will love this songbook and you may even find yourself singing it too!
In Class Uses: This songbook can be used as a
Raquel
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newborn-3 years old
Baby beluga swims in the water, so wild and free. He entertains his friends by shooting water from his spout. He goes to sleep at night and does it all over again.
I loved this book! The song is so cute, engaging, and fun to sing. The repetition is also great for young children.
Children can sing the song which will help their oral language.
Children can work on their rhyming while singing the song.
Adam Shields
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like books that can be sung. Kids remember them and there is something to the story that is beyond the words on the page. The other one that is similar is What a Wonderful World that is a representation of the song made famous by Louis Armstrong.

My 3 year old loves the book although mostly now he just wants to sing it throughout the day and not read it at night. I think the main target is about 2 years old.
Kira Riccio
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
1. (None)
2. Kindergarten
3. “Baby Beluga” is a song book that pays tribute to Beluga whales in the ocean.
4. I have always loved singing to this book. I also really love how the author pays tribute to Beluga whales. The pictures are beautiful and there is music in the back of the book.
5. This is another fun song book that can be used to help learn about whales and endangered species.
Sorento62
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2-year-olds and their families
A favorite of the 2-year-old in my life. It helps if you know the Raffi song and sing the words instead of reading them. Read the book with the little one in your lap and sway your bodies back and forth when you come to, "The waves roll in, and the waves roll out..."

And a board book is the perfect format.
Kady
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
I learned this song as a kid apparently attending a bible camp (my older brother shared this when he saw the book over the holidays and remembered the song too... I have no memory of the camp). Anyway, Emmy loves the song and sits through the whole thing. Thanks, Raffi.
Sylvie Gold
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classic sing-along to include in early childhood "under the sea" story-times. Ashley Wolff's colorful illustrations of recognizable sea creatures, Arctic land mammals, and even a person or two bring the song and its story to life.
Gauss the Panda
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations, including lots of animals, to go with lyrics. I can’t help but sing when I read this book.
Allison
One of my all-time favorites that my mom gifted to my son on his birthday. We sing this song all the time and love listening to Raffi, so this is the perfect book to share at bedtime.
Kelly
Nice, light, short rhyming story. Apparently this book is based on one of Raffi's songs. Illustrations were nice.
Audrey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, petites
This book MUST be sung. My class of two year olds love this book and want to "read" it over and over. Good for pointing out and talking about all of the Arctic animals pictured.
Mellanie C
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and sang this with the little ones at day care a couple of days ago. We enjoyed it very much.
Heather McC
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A definite crowd pleaser during storytime and quiet time, the pictures make the song even better.
Tracy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddo, fiction
Awhile ago I started adding an additional chorus with "Is your papa home?" and now the song just sounds incomplete without it, and therefore this book seems to be missing a few pages, so: nope.
Maria
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the #1 book and song of Annie's babyhood.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Thank You Letter
  • Big Red Barn
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
also known as Raffi

Raffi Songs to Read (9 books)
  • Down by the Bay
  • EVERYTHING GROWS RAFFI SONG RD (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Five Little Ducks
  • One Light One Sun (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Shake My Sillies Out
  • Spider on the Floor
  • TINGALAYO (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Wheels on the Bus