Start by marking “Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt as Children” as Want to Read:
Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt as Children

Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt as Children

This book enables adults who were traumatized as children to learn new strategies to meet the demands of daily living. While focusing on the effects of dissociation and including specific advice for multiples, Nancy Napier presents dozens of exercises helpful to anyone who finds that unresolved childhood feelings are blocking life's path.
Published 1993 by W.W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Getting Through the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Through the Day

Start your review of Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt as Children
Amanda
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a useful book about how to deal with adult situations that trigger inner child feelings like hurt, anger and fear. It contained mental exercises, meditations and numerous suggestions for how to deal with feelings in the moment.

I have not done many of the exercises or meditations. Reading the book from start to finish gave me enough guidance for on the spot self-treatment. The tone of the book was loving, with a strong emphasis on curiosity as a means for learning one's child
Emma
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Conceptually this book is great. It's unique in the sense that it focuses on disassociation caused by childhood trauma, but it can get confusing as it is aimed towards those with DID (dissociative identity disorder) and those with "normal" disassociation.

As a multiple (someone with dissociative identity disorder) I found a lot of the book confusing and not very relevant. The occasional "side notes" for multiple didn't offer much in the way of DID specific strategies, so I feel that while the bo
Sophie
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with tips and techniques to guide the readers on their healing journey. It takes advantage of the reader's vast imagination, using all the senses to vividly visualize the unconscious and work from there.
The cover and the title didn't work for me so I covered the book with a piece of construction paper: it is now bright orange with no title which motivates me to pick it up! On the whole, the editing needs some work: there are typos and the formatting in general isn't ver
Nell
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so insightful
James
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Survivors of childhood trauma and helping professionals
An outstanding book both for survivors of childhood abuse and other trauma and for clinicians working with them. It provides plenty of concrete, practical strategies people can use to reduce the impact of the symptoms of PTSD and improve their quality of life, as well as ample discussion of the philosophy and theory behind the practice. Strongly recommended!
Eliza T. Williamson
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
For many years this book really helped me on a daily, sometimes hourly basis to stay grounded in the present moment. Napier's ideas are simple, smart and easily implemented immediatly--I recommend this to anyone who is struggling with the aftermath of trauma.
Clara Bella
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Offers a lot of tips, strategies and coping skills for anyone dealing with any kind of early childhood trauma, from any kind of difficult environments this society provides! Is also useful for understanding loved ones that are survivors.
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
horrible book, not sure why it was rccommended it was completely irrelevent to my life , what a waste of time.
Kiera Gardner
Apr 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have read parts of this book already, and I am truly fasinated by the information it gives about dissociation in adults who have been hurt as children.
Kimberly
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on recovery from child sexual abuse. Not meant as a stand alone but a helping type of guide.
Emilie