Start by marking “The Taoist I Ching” as Want to Read:
The Taoist I Ching

The Taoist I Ching

The I Ching , or "Book of Change," is considered the oldest of the Chinese classics and has throughout history commanded unsurpassed prestige and popularity. Containing several layers of text and given numerous levels of interpretation, it has captured continuous attention for well over two thousand years. It has been considered a book of fundamental principles by ...more
Published June 12th 1986 by Shambhala Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Taoist I Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taoist I Ching

Start your review of The Taoist I Ching
Robert Francisco
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have (and do use) many versions of the I Ching, but if I could only have one I would choose this one. The translation is by Thomas Cleary with commentary by the Taoist adept Liu I-ming. Unlike many other translations that seem to focus on external success, prosperity, etc., the emphasis here is on internal cultivation of consciousness.
James
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long while to finish this book, but I don't think it was because it was "bad" really. It really gave me perspective I found. Personally, I learned a lot about the way you think and act, which I tried to apply to myself. This book really made me want to step outside of my body and look at myself as someone else, which really made me consider the way I behave and kind of who I was.

It may look like just a bunch of random mumbo-jumbo sentences that don't really tell you anything, but
Johnny
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: taoism
i am normally averse to thomas cleary's translations. this one didnt bother me too much. its an interesting book - a "taoist" interpretation of the i ching, but "taoist" means different things to different people. well set in a yang, fire-oriented tradition. the water method suits me better, so this book is a little off on that score, but i still found it an incredibly interesting read. a good supplementary text for the i ching student.
C Settles
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This translation by Thomas Cleary is very different than the usual I Ching translations. It offers a decidedly Daoist point of view to the classic. Good comparative read for the student of the I Ching.
Susan
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I had not thrown the I Ching since my hippy youth, when it was done with friends and read like Tarot cards, a magical oracle of the hidden present and future. This book provides a more detailed, and much more complex portrayal of the ancient texts. I Ching/Book of Changes is not an oracle, but rather a mathematically-based method of providing perspective based on the philosophy of the ever-shifting Yin and Yang in daily life.The I Ching is based on The Taoism of Reality. For about 20 years I ...more
Peter Zockoll
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that has generated in me an intense amount of interest in spiritual alchemy. It's been a door of sorts that I've been meaning to open for awhile now, and as long as I give my attention to it and the universe of thought that surrounds it, I think it will be the basis for an understanding or interpretation of this human experience that absolutely fascinates me. I've wanted to be a wizard since I was a boy, this book represents the first tangible piece of proof for me that sorcery, alchemy, ...more
Eric
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This only applies to this particular version of the book. Would give this a different rating but for starters it's very convoluted as far as the introduction goes. Then, as far as how to use the book, the structure is not ideal. So as the reader you're never sure where the text is going or if there's something you missed because the introduction meanders and isn't presented clearly. The actual text (books 1 and 2) is fine and serves its purpose.
Arthur Johnson
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book on Change. However, the commentary and writing are a bit difficult.
John Hartfield
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
An open mind is needed for this and watch magic happen.
Barb
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Thomas Cleary has a great way with words and is insightful to the movement which the I Ching provides, action or non-action. Knowing changes everything.
Michael
Feb 07, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-books
Ideograms from the I Ching appear in the DHARMA logos.
David
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These are the recipes, if you can read them.
Ram Lee
Jan 24, 2019
Ella
Mar 26, 2012
Donald Reynolds
Apr 28, 2009
Siddhraj
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2016

• An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • Schindler's List
  • The Art of Loving
  • Nurturing Our Humanity: How Domination and Partnership Shape Our Brains, Lives, and Future
  • Be a Poet!
  • Future Shock
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy
  • The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1)
  • The Elephant Vanishes
  • Maya's Notebook
  • Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
  • On the Mysteries of the Egyptians, Chaldeans and Assyrians
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon, #1)
“Having one's will on the Tao is finding joy in the Tao;
when one delights in the Tao, then one can practice the Tao.”
0 likes