Start by marking “Elements of Fiction Writing ” as Want to Read:
Elements of Fiction Writing

Elements of Fiction Writing (Elements of Fiction Writing)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  3,859 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
Vivid and memorable characters aren't born they have to be made

This book is a set of tools: literary crowbars, chisels, mallets, pliers and tongs. Use them to pry, chip, yank and sift good characters out of the place where they live in your imagination.

Award-winning author Orson Scott Card explains in depth the techniques of inventing, developing and presenting characters,
Published December 22nd 2010 by Writers Digest Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Fiction Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Fiction Writing

Samir Rawas Sarayji
Characters & Viewpoint is another book by Orson Scott Card from the Writer's Digest Books that failed to impress. The book is 182 pages and is divided into 3 main sections, 'Inventing Characters', 'Constructing Characters', and 'Performing Characters'. Each part is, in turn, divided into smaller chapters.

The first part covers topics that are really for the novice writer, someone who never wrote fiction and one day decided he/she wanted to... It explains how characters can come from people yo
Candace
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orson Scott Card presents tools and techniques for the novice writer on characters and viewpoint. In his book we learn how to invent a character -- what makes a good fictional character. We discover how to construct a character and the importance of the MICE quotient -- Milieu, Idea, Character and Event. We learn the difference between major and minor characters and between walk-on and placeholder characters. We discuss how to raise the emotional stakes of a character and how we should feel abou ...more
Melissa
Not my cup of tea when it comes to writing advice. This WD book was very basic and most of the guidance on characterization is focused on creating characters before you start writing and not fleshing out those characters on the page. Toward the end of the book when Card does finally begin to address what happens to characters in the actual novel/manuscript he gets a bit preachy and theoretical and makes more than few statements that I do not believe are accurate around POV and tense.

Overall I f
Ksenia Anske
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book to help you choose your POV. Whose story are you really telling? And what POV would be best for it? Plus examples (same bits of stories told from different POVs), rules, conventions, pitfalls and advantages of one or the other POV. Also, if you want to learn what melodramatic writing is and how to avoid it (my case), these are a few excellent examples here that will make you "get" it (I certainly "got" it). "If your characters cry, your readers won't have to; if your characters have good ...more
Alex Sarll
I've just remembered that I read the noted homophobe's writing guide back in my early teens. Even then, I could tell that a lot of his advice was bollocks - I especially remember the bit about how erudite types were inherently unsympathetic, and a smart hero would have to punch a couple of guys for every time he demonstrated his brains. Yep, as demonstrated by the lamentable obscurity in which characters like Poirot and Sherlock Holmes have long languished, right? Pillock.
Eric
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at a point where I'd already read a couple dozen books, a hundred Writers Digest magazines, and a zillion web pages on writing. Upon reading this book, I was EMBARRASSED by how much I didn't know! Characters and Viewpoint is required reading for all fiction writers.
Stephanie Bibb
I borrowed this book from another writer at the writer's meeting I attend, since I'm fascinated by the craft of writing. Overall, Orson Scott Card's Characters & Viewpoints book had a lot of insightful information, good stuff to keep in mind when writing and developing characters. Some tips were familiar, while other tips were new or approached a bit differently than I've seen in other sources. I was particularly fond of his explanation of jeopardy, and I found his explanation on developing ...more
Joy Pixley
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For turning out to be possibly my favorite writing craft book ever, this one started off a bit slow to me. The first and shortest section is about coming up with characters, what makes a character, how to name them. It was fine, well-written, and useful, and you couldn't have a book about characters without these issues, but I didn't see a ton that was really new to me.

The remaining three-quarters of the book was amazing. Having anchored on the first four chapters, I kept finding myself thinkin
Femmy
This has got to be one of the best books about writing. It discusses characterization in depth, with practical tools you can actually use in your fiction.

Other articles I've read about characterization inevitably instructs you to create a complete profile about your character, sometimes giving you a form to fill out, with prompts like favorite color and such things, but they don't really show you how to make these details alive in your story.

Characters and Viewpoint shows you just that, how t
Richard
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters and Viewpoint
By: Orson Scott Card
Writer’s Digest Books

Tools for Creating Vibrant Memorable Characters

In “Characters and Viewpoints” Orson Scott Card provides the writer with the tools for constructing colorful credible characters.

Card grabbed my attention as I scanned the table of contents. I immediately followed this by perusing the bold headings within the chapters.

The book is divided into three parts. Card begins with pointers on inventing characters, where they come from, potenti
Grace Wagner
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually the latest book I've read and it's been incredibly helpful. I was having trouble with my new book because it's told from two main characters' POVs in first person. I really felt like I hadn't solidified those characters and I turned to this book to help. The thing I liked best about this book was that it didn't tell you how to create in depth characterization. It asks you the right questions so you get there on your own. It really is a book of tools, not answers, and those tools ...more
Amanda
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some good tips for anyone who wants to evolve their characterizations skills.

Unfortunately, the book is not crammed with such tips on every page. A lot of time is spent rehashing the same point over and over from several perspectives until your eyes start to glaze. It is possible that this would be helpful for a complete novice, but for someone who has already got a lot of this writing stuff figured out, it just comes across as a lot of fluff and filler. I will keep the book as a
John
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
In this book, Card delved deeper into the subject matter than I've ever seen anyone do before. This is a book I think anyone serious about writing a novel ought to read. It's made even better by the fact that Card's insights apply equally to both literary and mainstream fiction.
Lauren
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This book helped me understand so much about the characterization process - I will return to it many times for reference. Incredible resource for fiction writers.
Newton Nitro
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personagens bem construídos é o segredo de qualquer narrativa que prende o leitor. Dentre os livros com dicas para escritores focado na criação e desenvolvimento de personagens na narrativa, Character and Viewpoint, do Orson Scott Card (o autor de Ender’s Game), é um dos mais famosos.

O livro está dividido em três partes, respectivamente, a Invenção de Personagens, a Construção de Personagens e a Representação de Personagens. Cada uma das partes é repleta de dicas para as diversas etapas da carac
Rod Raglin
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing new in books about writing fiction, only on how they're presented.

Some are written by academics and you need to be one to understand them. Others are written by authors who use them as a means of self-aggrandizement constantly quoting examples from their own work. These may not necessarily be good examples of what they're trying to demonstrate, but they're not about to let an opportunity to promote their work slip by.

In Characters and Viewpoint, Card uses straight forward prose
L Bon~
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-guides
2.5*

This book had some good ideas on characterization but overall it complicated topics far more than I'd prefer and I found myself skimming as a result.

It wasn't a waste of time but there are books that covers the same ground while also being A. More concise or b. Having more thought provoking content.

There are better books on fiction writing and for it's topics characters and viewpoints it didn't do much in the realm of expert ideas for me.
Mike
I'd already heard much of the advice in this book, in part because Mary Robinette Kowal of the Writing Excuses podcast is a fan and refers to it often. It was still worth reading, as it takes the reader through a number of important considerations about characterisation and allied subjects: not only how to use the techniques, but when and why. I highlighted a great many useful and well-considered passages.

Card's basic view of writing is that in telling stories, we are influencing people to expan
Chris Bauer
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've oft heard this book referred to as the definitive work on effective use of characters & viewpoint in writing but didn't really believe it - until I was "encouraged" by a pro writer whom I respect highly to dig into it.

I was wrong. It is an invaluable resource for any penmonkey. I know of many authors who have a talent for using just the right technique to depict vivid, dynamic and interesting characters with smooth and consistent use of proper perspective / voice.

I'm not one of them and
Carlos Velez
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orson Scott Card writes really great characters. I've read a couple of his Ender novels, and another stand-alone novel called Empire and his characters are really smart and are able to dive into the psychology of the people around them. They understand people and why they are who they are, and why they do what they do. It is most certainly a reflection of the author's own understanding of the inner workings of himself and the people around him. He is able to take his life experiences and create ...more
Ruth Jacobs
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
Shelves: books-on-writing
Okay, so you know I'm an addict, I read a lot of books on writing, and I'm not done on reviewing them all yet. This was useful in helping me decide which viewpoint to write from and how best to do that. Also what mistakes to avoid making as well. Such as writing a whole novel in third person, when other things are occurring that the protagonist can't know about they cannot be mentioned. But there are clever ways certain things can be shown to the reader through the actions of other characters wh ...more
Veronica Morfi
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strong and believable characters are the essence of a good book! This book is the perfect guide on how to built this kind of characters. From the very simple things, like their personality to the more complex ones, like the reasons behind their acts, this book explains them all. It is well writen and easy to understand. It can help you create and develop the characters of your story.
I never thought that characters are the most important thing in a story, even if the storyline is not that strong
Alex Ristea
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was the first I read in the Writer's Digest series, and the rest are eagerly awaiting me in my library.

If you're a writer, this is a must-read. Orson Scott Card explains key storytelling concepts so naturally that this is an absolute pleasure to read for its own sake.

I would recommend this even if you have no intentions of writing your own prose. You will have a better appreciation and understanding of narrative and characters after this book, and your reading will never be the same.
Lynn Joshua
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Card understands and explains how an author can make his characters believable, fascinating, likeable, or repellant. He has an amazing grasp of human nature, and even if you're not a writer, his book will give you a better understanding of fiction, and new insights into why we act the way we do.

(This is the second time I've read it - and I just finished reading it aloud to my teen sons who love to write fiction.)
Ted Cross
I'm not saying the information in this book isn't useful, as it is, but it is primarily common sense, or at least it was for me. The bad part is that it is presented in such a dry manner that it bored me and I took forever to get through it. I might have thought better of the book--perhaps assuming that such a topic must be dry like this--if I hadn't read On Writing by Stephen King, which is a terrific read while telling me a lot of similar great information.
Mary Catelli
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to-write
A how to write book.

Covers topics like sources for characters, how to develop the original notion, the differences between serious and comic characterization, how to engage sympathy, the differences between bit and minor and major characters, where you exactly want to stereotype your character (when he's actually so bit that he's scenery), attitude, points of view, and more.
Valerie
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I graduated from college in English--and yet this is the best book I've read on how to write characters. I thought it was fabulous. I love many of Card's books, so it was also nice to see into his writing mind.
Christine
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book answered some questions I still had after doing a lot of reading on the craft. It explains use of tense, line spaces, and provides tons of info on viewpoint and creating characters that come to life.
K.M. Weiland
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent and thought-provoking discussion.
Liz B
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and straightforward. I think this will be a great book to recommend to certain 8th grade readers. They are dying to write fiction, and this will give them some ideas for places to start.
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Plot
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Description
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Description & Setting
  • Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card

Elements of Fiction Writing (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Description
  • Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Manuscript Submission
  • Plot
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Voice and Style

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • Catch Me If You Can
    $10.99 $1.99
“readers tend to like a character who is at least superficially like themselves. But they quickly lose interest unless this particular character is somehow out of the ordinary. The character may wear the mask of the common man, but underneath his true face must always be the face of the hero.” 0 likes
“If there is no awe, there is no audience.” 0 likes