Start by marking “A Buddhist Bible” as Want to Read:
A Buddhist Bible

A Buddhist Bible

A wide selection of readings from Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, Tibetan, and modern sources intended to provide the reader with a foundation in classical Buddhist thought.

The first book to bring together the key texts of modern Buddhism.

In the last hundred years, the world, especially the West, has increasingly embraced the teachings of Buddhism. A modern Buddhist Bible is the
Published 1994 by Beacon (first published 1932)

Start your review of A Buddhist Bible
robin friedman
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buddhist Texts in America

Dwight Goddard's collection of Buddhist Sutras and related texts, first published in 1932, is available in paperback with introductions by Robert Aitken and Houston Smith. The importance of this book lies in its role in the development of American Buddhism as well as, of course, in the texts themselves.

Dwight Goddard, according to Aitken's introduction, was an enigmatic figure with training first as an engineer (where he became wealthy as a result of an invention) and as
Ryan
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This isn't the most amazing collection, or the best translation, but for historical impact this gets an extra star. Definitely a great intro to the concepts of Buddhism, with a simplicity and sincerity that more modern translators sometimes lack. ...more
Tedopon
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social
I carried this book everywhere I went for years. It slowly fell apart, but by then I had absorbed all I could and it felt good to part with it.
Nathanclement
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I get that it's foundational for studies of buddhism in the west, but a lot of the translations are pretty archaic... Just because you put "Bible" in the title doesn't mean you need to model your style on the King James version. ...more
Cameron Kobes
Feb 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2022
(tl;dr, the book had some stuff I thought was agreeable and some stuff I thought was disagreeable, and I'm fine with accepting what I accept and rejecting what I reject)

This book took me two months to finish, with a lot of contemplation taking place over that time. I do not call myself a Buddhist, but I wanted to see what I could learn from this book. A couple passages really stood out for me, and I wrote down notes on my thoughts while reading some of them. I'll share those notes here.

From 'The
Raven
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Wonderful collection of Buddhist thought, in a concise and easy to read format. This was a favorite of Kerouac.
Adrian Peters
A Buddhist Bible: The Favorite Scriptures of the Zen Buddhist Sect (English Edition) by Dwight Goddard.
The only reason to read a book like this is if you're interested in Buddhism. It contains The Diamond Sutra, the Sutra of the 6th Patriarch, the Lankavatara Sutra and a Preface on the history of Zen or Chan, as it's called in China, Buddhism by Dwight Goddard.
The Kindle edition is a selection from a much earlier book. The translations were done back in the 1960s. It's not clear whether the su
C Settles
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent set of translations from original sources. If you want to understand the foundations of Buddhism, this is the book to read. Translations are clear and complete. I actually read this book twice.
J. Everett B
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, buddhism
This was an excellent book. Very informative. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants a straightforward understanding of Buddhism.
Daniel Marchand
Aug 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to Buddhist texts
Edward
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
At about 700 pages, this is a huge corpus of Buddhist sutras and other related writings. It gets dry and repetitive at times, but pulls from traditions and schools spanning thousands of years. If you want to understand how Buddhism has evolved since the days of the Awakened One himself, this is a good place to start.

This work was much too dense to summarize in a single review, so I'll just include some first impressions. I had a basic college/university level understanding of Buddhism before, bu
Mike Zone
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Great introduction to the philosophy and different sects. A bit dated in some entries but very accessible to the novice and indispensable as a quick reference to the eagle-eyed philosophy nerd seeking to merge physics with spirituality in explaining the perception of reality through literature...possibly. Essentially it's a damn good reference book and if you are minimalist...this, this is the one. Bonus points, inspired Jack Kerouac's dharma bum stage. OM Bliss, blisss, bliss ...more
Keegan
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism, religion
I've had this near my bed for months now. I read it all the goddamn time, especially the first bit, which is a collection of a number of the Pali texts glommed together to give a sensible presentation of the historical Buddha's actual teachings.

The title irks me to no end, though.
Char
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, religion
"The Dharma which establishes the Truth of Noble Wisdom belongs to the realm of the Dharmata-Buddha" (page 355) ...more
Manna
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book will always be on my currently reading shelf...because little pieces of it need to be read everyday
Mckinley
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Got it to read the Diamond Sutra. Liked some of the explanatory text.
Sidney
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Some authors caught my eye, and some others didn't. ...more
Eric
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of grammatical errors in this, which only adds charm. Solid, if muddled, intro to Zen Buddhism. Lots of Q&A-style, riddle-oriented content to explain concepts.
Marian
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Dharma book.
Phil
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
another book used for reference that i have not read from cover to cover.
Tanya
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Didn't read all ...more
Jazenisawakening
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this collection of sutras hasgifted me new insights into living life and the nature of reality.
Sergio  Pizzo Barrale
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
the actual words of the buddha... or supposedly.
Darian
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic book to observe the roots of different kinds of Buddhism with.
Blue Caeruleus
Zen literature presents some fascinating philosophy, even if you're not a Buddhist. ...more
m
Joey
Jan 28, 2012
John  Brew
Jul 30, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Covers Missing - A Buddhist Bible 4 17 Jan 02, 2016 03:25PM

• The Dhammapada
  • Scouting for Boys: A Handbook for Instruction in Good Citizenship
  • The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana
  • The Quiet Mind
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Summerhill: A Radical Approach to Child Rearing
  • Arabian Nights: A Selection
  • Outlawed
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • Bad Machinery Vol. 10: The Case of the Severed Alliance
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Papaya salad
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • Kusama: The Graphic Novel
  • Kehinde
See top shelves…
American writer Dwight Goddard (1861-1939) studied at a monastery in Kyoto, Japan, for a year and was among the first Westerners to bring Zen Buddhism to the United States. His most famous book is The Buddhist Bible (1938).

News & Interviews

The glint of fangs in the dark, the sound of tap-tap-tapping at your window, the howling of wind (or is it just wind?) in the trees...that's...