Start by marking “Coming Home (Heartland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coming Home (Heartland, #1)

Coming Home (Heartland #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  5,543 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
The daughter of a respected horse healer, 14-year-old Amy has a powerful connection with horses. With her mother's help, she is developing her skills as a horse whisperer while tending to the animals at Heartland, a refuge for horses that have been emotionally or physically traumatized. But when her mother is killed in a tragic trailer accident, Amy realizes she will never ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home, please sign up.

Amy is it like the episodes on Netflix

Trine
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when I was around 9 or 10 I think. I remember the book vividly though because I loved it so much. I don't think now 10 or 11 years after that I would enjoy it and think it is that amazing, simply because I am just that much older now, but the book together with the others in the series just has had a serious impact on my life. Ever since I started horseback riding at the age of 10 I have aimed to use the same methods as Amy does. I still ride today and I have ...more
Melissa **Dear Evan Hansen Obsessed**
Read this entire series as a kid. Loved them all. Plan to reread this year!
Stephen
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a series
I recently encountered the television series and was curious about the book series that spawned it. The TV series in some ways improves on the books. Both are wholesome and good family fare.

For decades I've accepted the stereotype that adolescent girls are attracted to horses because they're big and powerful and somewhat threatening but with care and training they can be loving beasts... unlike the other beasts that fascinate girls of that age, teenaged boys. I feel that this book doesn't cater
Maddison
Put this down 1 star since I first read it a few years ago, because Amy's emotions didn't annoy me as much back then, but I still really enjoyed it. I recently went on a horse trek after not riding a horse for years and it's put me back in horsey mode :p Not good. I'm happy I read this book though. The heart feels - both happy and sad and angry. Is it weird how I think (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) I kind of like Matt though. He s ...more
Alyssa Adamczyk
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming Home is the first book to the Heartland novels series, written by Lauren Brooke. A 14 year old girl named Amy has a huge passion for horses. With her mother’s help, she is learning skills on how to take more care of horses and how to “horse whisper” while also giving her attention to the other farm animals at Heartland, a sanctuary for horse that have been exposed to emotional and physical harm. But when her mother is killed in a terrible trailer accident, Amy has to grow up quickly, and ...more
Olive
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found this and the next two in the series in my closet (I must have got them when I was a kid; I vaguely remember reading the first two) and decided to give it a read through before I sold it at the used bookstore.

Verdict: well-researched, badly written. The horse-related info is good--it's very nice to see Monty Roberts' techniques used and acknowledged. For that reason alone I might have liked this book if everything else hadn't been awful. The only other thing that interested me, Amy's relat
Kayleigh
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1 Heartland, Coming Home
Posted on December 14, 2010 by kayleighc18111680
Book Review: Heartland

By: Lauren Brooke

Book Reviewed by: Kayleigh C

“Do you wish that a frightened or abused horse can learn to trust again? Do you wish that a horse’s scars of the past can be healed again?” If you do, heartland is the perfect stable for you. Where you will meet a special person in Heartland- Marion. She can teach you in Heartland. She uses special methods- love.

The story begins when Amy, the daughter of Mar
Joy H.
Sep 30, 2016 marked it as watched-film-only  ·  review of another edition
Added 9/30/16. (first published January 1st 2000)

I'm streaming Heartland (TV Series) Season 1, Episode 1, "Coming Home".

Based on novels created by Lauren Brooke
Coming Home - "This powerful series follows Amy Fleming through the loss of her mother and her struggle to continue the work at Heartland-a refuge for abused and abandoned horses."
"about a 15-year-old girl named Amy Fleming, who lives in Virginia on a horse r
Shaya
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a better series
This is my review for the entire series. I generally stay away from horse girl series and formulated paperbacks but this was an exception. I read through the series, in middle school starting with the 8th. Reading them in order is not particularly important because there's enough background given in any book. The series is about Amy, whose Mother dies in a car crash. Her mother started a horse farm called Heartland that rehabilitates horses physically and mentally. Amy decides to keep the farm r ...more
Morgan
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the majority of this series when I was in elementary school. I can't speak to the writing, as I don't remember it too vividly. What I will say is that the books resonated with 10 year old me because they were about a girl who was dedicated to horses, even the ones nobody else believed in. Amy isn't rich; she doesn't have all the nicest riding clothes and she doesn't go to shows every weekend. I was the same way; I took lessons at a stable with girls who had it all and took great comfort r ...more
Anna-sofie
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book❤☺ ...more
Savannah
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me this book is very interesting and i like this book alot! The book has a lot of excitement. When i read this book i wanted to keep reading because it makes you want to keep reading more and more. It does this because they keep excitement in it and when you are reading there is never a boring part in this book the author keeps you hooked in. This book has to be one of my favorite books.
Lara
So, I might be a little obsessed with the Canadian TV show based on this series, so of course I had to give the books a try as well. There are definitely a few differences so far, but the show has the same heart as the books do, for sure. I enjoyed it, and I'll probably read more of these at some point.
Lily
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I started watching the TV show and I figured I should read the books. It is about a girl who is trying to manage her mom's horse ranch after her mom died. It is a fun and dramatic book to read.
Hallie
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great. I can relate to amy a lot. I have a hose name ranger and his past was terrible. We had to grt red of him to a place where he could run free. Amy losses her mother in a car reck and she can't let go.
haley
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read one of the Heartland books in third grade, but never finished it. It wasn't that great. I don't really remember it, so I can't write a full, more detailed review. I just remember not really enjoying it.
Miquaelia
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love heartland both the tv series and the books. they are totally different but still amaze me. Heartland forever!!!
Rianne
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Rachel
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the series!
Juliana
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, specifically horse loving teens
A GREAT book. really emotional and inspiring. as a horse enthusiast and equestrian i would recommend this book to ANYONE, i enjoyed it cover to cover.
Chiara
A beautiful series, a good read for any lover of horses.
Taryn Spearey
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
I love Heartland! This story touches my heart every time I either reread the books or rewatch it. Amy is sad when her mom dies in a car crash. She blames herself and is very angry at everyone.

When Lou, Amy's sister, returns home from New York for a while, she tries to change how Heartland is run. Amy just wants everything to stay the way it is. This leads to a lot of conflict between the two sisters.

Ty is a stable hand at Heartland. Amy relies on Ty a lot. She seems to turn to him everytime she
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
A realistic drama with a beautiful country setting. Would be of interest to girls ages 8 and up. If you love horses, this book is for you. I like stories that have female teenage heroines. Stories that encourage girls to look for the gifts they have and to have the courage to practice them and believe in themselves! I also liked the message of the importance of working together as a family, listening to your heart, and examples of how selflessness, service, and hard work can be healing. I think ...more
Siobhan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read probably all of these books when I was around 10 years old, used to borrow the max I could take from the library every week. I absolutely loved them! Would actually like to read one again and see what I make of it as an adult!
Elin Gustavsson
Well, it starten very started happy, became sad and ended happy. I think the book was a bit to short to be a good story.
Matilda N
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jag tyckte den här boken var väldigt bra och speciell, för att den har en intresseväckande utveckling under bokens gång. Bra för hästälskare!
Michaela
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book different from the heartland show but still good .
Kirsty McCracken
3.5⭐ a quick and nostalgic read that I can't wait to continue the series of! ...more
Mad White
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but Amy grated on me a bit. I didn't really empathise with any of the characters apart from Jack but I did enjoy the horses!
Abby Evangelisto
This review will encompass the entirety of the Heartland series that I have been able to get through (up to Book 6).. It may be edited if I decide to continue.

This series may have spawned a successful TV show, but that doesn't by any means make it any good.

Heartland is easily one of the worst series I have ever made the mistake of wasting money on. I honestly don't know where to begin, so I'll just jump right in and go step by step.

First of all, the biggest problem: the characters. Amy is a h
Heartland 12 44 Apr 06, 2013 01:49PM
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • Shadow Horse
  • Sundancer
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Blind Beauty
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke
More about Lauren Brooke...

Heartland (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • Breaking Free (Heartland, #3)
  • Taking Chances (Heartland, #4)
  • Come What May (Heartland, #5)
  • One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6)
  • Out of the Darkness (Heartland, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Heartland, #8)
  • Every New Day (Heartland, #9)
  • Tomorrow's Promise (Heartland, #10)
  • True Enough (Heartland, #11)