Start by marking “Coming Home (Heartland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coming Home (Heartland, #1)

Coming Home

(Heartland #1)

This powerful series follows Amy Fleming through the loss of her mother and her struggle to continue the work at Heartland-a refuge for abused and abandoned horses.
Published June 1st 2000 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home, please sign up.
Amy is it like the episodes on Netflix

Start your review of Coming Home (Heartland, #1)
Trine
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time when I was around 9 or 10 I think. I remember the book vividly though because I loved it so much. I don't think now 10 or 11 years after that I would enjoy it and think it is that amazing, simply because I am just that much older now, but the book together with the others in the series just has had a serious impact on my life. Ever since I started horseback riding at the age of 10 I have aimed to use the same methods as Amy does. I still ride today and I have ...more
Briar's Reviews
I absolutely love the television adaption of this book, so it was only natural for me to find the book it's based on! It took me many (and I mean MANY) years to find this book on my wild book hunt but I finally found it! And wow-za it was cute and sweet and everything I could have imagined! Sure, it's not identical to the television show (have you SEEN how many seasons Heartland has?) but it's still an absolute gem!

This book pulled at my heart strings for sure, but it was very sweet! I will def
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
Read this entire series as a kid. Loved them all. Plan to reread this year!
B.
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Found this and the next two in the series in my closet (I must have got them when I was a kid; I vaguely remember reading the first two) and decided to give it a read through before I sold it at the used bookstore.

Verdict: well-researched, badly written. The horse-related info is good--it's very nice to see Monty Roberts' techniques used and acknowledged. For that reason alone I might have liked this book if everything else hadn't been awful. The only other thing that interested me, Amy's relat
Alyssa Adamczyk
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Coming Home is the first book to the Heartland novels series, written by Lauren Brooke. A 14 year old girl named Amy has a huge passion for horses. With her mother’s help, she is learning skills on how to take more care of horses and how to “horse whisper” while also giving her attention to the other farm animals at Heartland, a sanctuary for horse that have been exposed to emotional and physical harm. But when her mother is killed in a terrible trailer accident, Amy has to grow up quickly, and ...more
Stephen
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a series
I recently encountered the television series and was curious about the book series that spawned it. The TV series in some ways improves on the books. Both are wholesome and good family fare.

For decades I've accepted the stereotype that adolescent girls are attracted to horses because they're big and powerful and somewhat threatening but with care and training they can be loving beasts... unlike the other beasts that fascinate girls of that age, teenaged boys. I feel that this book doesn't cater
Maddie
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Put this down 1 star since I first read it a few years ago, because Amy's emotions didn't annoy me as much back then, but I still really enjoyed it. I recently went on a horse trek after not riding a horse for years and it's put me back in horsey mode :p Not good. I'm happy I read this book though. The heart feels - both happy and sad and angry. Is it weird how I think (view spoiler) and (view spoiler)Put this down 1 star since I first read it a few years ago, because Amy's emotions didn't annoy me as much back then, but I still really enjoyed it. I recently went on a horse trek after not riding a horse for years and it's put me back in horsey mode :p Not good. I'm happy I read this book though. The heart feels - both happy and sad and angry. Is it weird how I think (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) I kind of like Matt though. He seems sweet. But then again so does Ty :p I was so sad when (view spoiler) So much sad. But then anger when (view spoiler) I mean, (view spoiler) Pleased that I own the first 8 books in the series. I'll definitely be reading them. ...more
Kayleigh
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
#1 Heartland, Coming Home
Posted on December 14, 2010 by kayleighc18111680
Book Review: Heartland

By: Lauren Brooke

Book Reviewed by: Kayleigh C

“Do you wish that a frightened or abused horse can learn to trust again? Do you wish that a horse’s scars of the past can be healed again?” If you do, heartland is the perfect stable for you. Where you will meet a special person in Heartland- Marion. She can teach you in Heartland. She uses special methods- lov
Joy H.
Sep 30, 2016 marked it as watched-film-only
Added 9/30/16. (first published January 1st 2000)

I'm streaming Heartland (TV Series) Season 1, Episode 1, "Coming Home".

Based on novels created by Lauren Brooke
Coming Home -
Shaya
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a better series
This is my review for the entire series. I generally stay away from horse girl series and formulated paperbacks but this was an exception. I read through the series, in middle school starting with the 8th. Reading them in order is not particularly important because there's enough background given in any book. The series is about Amy, whose Mother dies in a car crash. Her mother started a horse farm called Heartland that rehabilitates horses physically and mentally. Amy decides to keep the farm r ...more
Morgan
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the majority of this series when I was in elementary school. I can't speak to the writing, as I don't remember it too vividly. What I will say is that the books resonated with 10 year old me because they were about a girl who was dedicated to horses, even the ones nobody else believed in. Amy isn't rich; she doesn't have all the nicest riding clothes and she doesn't go to shows every weekend. I was the same way; I took lessons at a stable with girls who had it all and took great comfort r ...more
Lara
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
So, I might be a little obsessed with the Canadian TV show based on this series, so of course I had to give the books a try as well. There are definitely a few differences so far, but the show has the same heart as the books do, for sure. I enjoyed it, and I'll probably read more of these at some point.
Miquaelia
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love heartland both the tv series and the books. they are totally different but still amaze me. Heartland forever!!!
Abbie Shire
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my favourite, but I guess we all have differences. I was always eager to read this as a kid but was told to wait till I was older, so when I actually read it I was somewhat older...I just didn't find it terribly engaging.
Ashlee G
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartland is my favorite series of movies. I just found out from a friend that there is a series of books too!! I said that I had to read one so I did. This book is really good! I want to read the rest of them too! This book is about a girl named Amy and she lives on a farm with her family. There are also a couple of workers that help out there such as Ty. Amys mom, Marian, is a horse whisperer. One day Amy had ridden out on a horse to check on her labor and she got distracted by a horse that wa ...more
ok_gang
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book i never thought it would be as good as i thought it would be. This book is really sad because her mom died and she have to look at the farm by herself and that all the horse that are sick she has took look after as best as she can to help the animal out .she is only 14 years old name Amy got sick after her friends came to see her and after she got home she wanted to work with the horses but her dad said no but she still did it.Then later on in the book the horse that was really sick ha ...more
Jane Lebak
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-and-mg
I asked for books about horses, and this was one of them. It's midgrade so I was able to read it in about an hour as a palate-cleanser after reading a book about World War II.

Amy is 15 and works on a ranch for injured horses, but Amy acts alternately like a nine-year-old and like a nineteen-year-old. I found the inconsistency in her age, her thought process, and her abilities to be a bit jolting, especially when she acted like a much younger kid.

Overall the story is prett
Ann
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book to check out its suitability for my granddaughters and was pleasantly surprised.

For girls who are into horses, this is just the ticket. The ranch is named Heartland and its aim is to heal horses and hearts.

This story reminded me that many popular stories involving children seem to require the loss of a parent. I wonder if two-parent families are too boring or too ordinary to spawn extraordinary children.

The girls will love this series.
Savannah
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
To me this book is very interesting and i like this book alot! The book has a lot of excitement. When i read this book i wanted to keep reading because it makes you want to keep reading more and more. It does this because they keep excitement in it and when you are reading there is never a boring part in this book the author keeps you hooked in. This book has to be one of my favorite books.
Juan
Jan 27, 2019 added it
I don’t want to add a rating to this because I read it when I was a child BUT I just spent half an hour on a google search to find this book because the first time I read it (and every time after that) I sobbed my eight year old heart out. I don’t even like horses that much.
Hallie
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. I can relate to amy a lot. I have a hose name ranger and his past was terrible. We had to grt red of him to a place where he could run free. Amy losses her mother in a car reck and she can't let go.
haley
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read one of the Heartland books in third grade, but never finished it. It wasn't that great. I don't really remember it, so I can't write a full, more detailed review. I just remember not really enjoying it.
Lily
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I started watching the TV show and I figured I should read the books. It is about a girl who is trying to manage her mom's horse ranch after her mom died. It is a fun and dramatic book to read.
Brianne Picard
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read it for a school book report and I really liked it. I
Juliana
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, specifically horse loving teens
A GREAT book. really emotional and inspiring. as a horse enthusiast and equestrian i would recommend this book to ANYONE, i enjoyed it cover to cover.
Ali
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the book heartland coming home, the author tells about a girl, Amy Fleming, a young girl that lost her mother in an accident. Amy has a huge passion for horses, she helped her mother take care of the horses and rehome them. Amy and her mother, Marion Fleming, were in a terrible trailer accident from trying to save a beautiful black stallion. Marion died in the accident and Amy had to grow up fast and take over her mother's work. Amy was now the “horse whisperer.”
My favorite part of the
Taryn Rai Spearey
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Heartland! This story touches my heart every time I either reread the books or rewatch it. Amy is sad when her mom dies in a car crash. She blames herself and is very angry at everyone.

When Lou, Amy's sister, returns home from New York for a while, she tries to change how Heartland is run. Amy just wants everything to stay the way it is. This leads to a lot of conflict between the two sisters.

Ty is a stable hand at Heartland. Amy relies on Ty a lot. She seems to tu
Dionne
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Am I too old to re-read Heartland ? Possibly yes.. but the last time I read part of the series was when I was 11 years old and all the books have been sitting on my shelves for ages, so I thought I'd give them another try and see what happens.
This took me way back to my childhood and had me sobbing my eyes out. I very soon realized why Heartland sparked my love for reading.
The books are so easy to get through and for me personally I can relate to Amy the main character so much. Like, it's
Naomi Campbell
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I did really like this book. I enjoyed the dramas and problems, and many resolutions as they happened throughout the story. I have seen several seasons of Heartland with my family, so it's got a soft spot there in my heart already, all the characters and the setting on the ranch with all the horses, and ah, I love Canada. Never been there...yet. There were of course a ton of differences between the book and the shows, but it was great to go into the book already "knowing" several of the characte ...more
Nina
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this book when I was a lot younger and the series was my favourite thing ever. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve reread these books, especially the first one.
Rereading this, it struck me how non evolved the writing is.. I constantly had to remind myself that this is a children’s book and that I was a lot younger when I put it on a pedestal.
I’m still giving 5 stars even though I didn’t enjoy it as much as hoped I would’ve. And I think that’s due to me not being in the rig
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Heartland 12 48 Apr 06, 2013 01:49PM

• The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • Sundancer
  • Shadow Horse
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, L

Heartland (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • Breaking Free (Heartland, #3)
  • Taking Chances (Heartland, #4)
  • Come What May (Heartland, #5)
  • One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6)
  • Out of the Darkness (Heartland, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Heartland, #8)
  • Every New Day (Heartland, #9)
  • Tomorrow's Promise (Heartland, #10)
  • True Enough (Heartland, #11)