Start by marking “From the Grounds Up” as Want to Read:
From the Grounds Up

From the Grounds Up

(Maggy Thorsen Mystery #5)

Maggy Thorsen refuses to give in as trouble brews again - When Maggy Thorsen’s coffee house, Uncommon Grounds, is virtually obliterated by a snowstorm, she and her friend Sarah resolve to reopen – and Maggy’s found the perfect spot near the train station, just in time for the opening of the new commuter route. But when Sarah’s uncle dies suddenly, in the first of a seri ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about From the Grounds Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Grounds Up

Ivonne Rovira
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forced to move her Uncommon Grounds coffee shop to new digs to a freak snow in the previous novel in the series, Brewed, Crude and Tattooed, Maggy Thorsen agrees to a partnership with real-estate agent extraordinaire Sarah Kingston. Sarah’s been Maggy’s snooping sidekick since the very first novel in the series, Uncommon Grounds, and the two have formed a great friendship. But will Sarah’s notoriously brusque manner destroy Uncommon Grounds — or their friendship, as Jack Pavlik, county sheriff a ...more
Anastasia
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Grounds up by Sandra Balzo is the 5th book in the Maggie Thorsen mystery series. Maggie is looking for new premises after her previous shop was destroyed, when her friend Sarah suggests a property she had recently inherited. Unfortunately someone is trying to sabotage their plans. A good addition to the series. It was interesting to read all the problems and obstacles that one has to go through to set up a business and the importance of friends to help and advise. I'm looking forward to ...more
Linda Smatzny
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the Maggy Thorsen Mystery series. This time Maggy is looking for a new location for her coffeehouse. She and Sarah Kingston decide to become business partners after Maggy's other partner, Caron, wants out of the business. The two women find the perfect location but then accidents start to happen around them and the building. It was a quick easy read.
Spuddie
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#5 Maggy Thorsen coffee shop mystery set in fictional Brookhills, Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee. Maggy is looking for somewhere to house Uncommon Grounds, since the coffee shop burned down along with the rest of the small strip mall it was located in during events in the last book. On an almost non-existent budget and now sans Caron, her business partner, who must bow out due to financial strains, Maggy is wondering what to do. Then her moody friend Sarah, a real estate agent, offers to take ...more
Patricia
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggy Thorsen is going through a period of change. Her coffeehouse, Uncommon Grounds, was reduced to rubble due to a freak accident. Her partner, Caron Egan, wants out of the partnership. Life seems to take a turn for the better when Maggy’s friend Sarah Kingston shows her an old train station that would make the perfect location for the new coffeehouse.

To Maggy’s astonishment, Sarah offers to be Maggy’s new partner. An even bigger surprise to Maggy is that Sarah confesses that she owns the tr
Marlyn
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mystery
Sandra Balzo was kind enough to send me an ARC of her forthcoming
(March 1, 2010, according to Amazon.com) Maggy Thorsen mystery, and I'm so glad she did, because I enjoyed it immensely.

Since Maggy and Caron's coffeehouse, Uncommon Grounds, was pretty much destroyed in the previous book, Brewed, Crude and Tattooed, Maggy is searching for a new site. Caron doesn't seem terribly interested, so Maggy finds herself a new partner: real estate agent Sarah Kingston. Sarah finds the perfect location, nea
ChrisGA
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-read-2014
This one picks right up a few weeks after the disaster at the end of the last book. Maggy gets a new partner and starts a new business while solving murders and romancing her boy friend. A vulnerable side of Sarah is revealed throughout the book. The inner dialogue of Maggy’s thoughts are filled with humorous plays-on-words. Frank the sheepdog is a big bundle of comic, often slapstick, moments. As a non-dog person who like Maggy inherited a son’s big dog, I found their relationship, their conver ...more
Alyson Walton
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: surprise-finds
yes, it's a quick read but such an enjoyable one! would have finished this book alot sooner if working night shifts hadn't got in the way.
I could relate to the characters and am very pleased from the reviews I've read that, when I get another book from the series; I will be able to pick that up and enjoy it independently from the others. can heartily recommend this to anyone and this copy shall be passed around my friends.
Susan
Maggie Thorsen needs a new location for her coffee shop, and it also looks as though she may be needing a new partner. Her friend and real estate agent volunteers to be a partner, and she just may own the right property, too. But as they start working to transform an old railroad station into a modern coffee house, the series of accidents they face have Maggie wondering if there's someone out there who wants them to fail--or maybe to die.
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
I enjoyed this one. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Uncommon Grounds will look once the new location is set up, but getting there with all the twists and turns this book added has been a real challenge! Suffice it to say, Ms Balzo has again got things cooking with stellar characterizations and a well developed plot. A great read, especially if you like your cozy mystery with a little bit of psychological intrigue thrown in for spice!
❂ Jennifer
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I continue to really enjoy this series. This book was great, although I have to say the "mystery" was a bit buried in the story line so that when it started to get solved, I thought to myself "oh yeah, the murder!". I sort of pegged who was going to be the bad guy but I still enjoyed the story. A quick read.
Susan
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of snappy dialogue and some quirky, funny characters made this a fun read. The nursing home scenes alone were worth the read. I'll definitely read more in this series!
Imjussayin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought it might all be 'same ole, same ole' the author takes another turn. So it fresh and fun. If you haven't, you really should. A good cosy mystery.
Lorraine Shaw
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.
Jeff
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Quick read, clever story, a light mystery that is detectable & solved
Elisa Hordon
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly entertaining read
Bonnie Drummond
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series A Maggy Thorsen Mystery is a read that shows you what you can do when you have to start all over again from the bottom. How friends and family will come to help when needed.
Caroline
Maggy Thorsen's coffee shop was destroyed in the last book. Now she sets out to find a new place of business. When her friend and partner, Caron, wants out of the business, Maggy takes on a new partner - her friend Sarah. Then things get really crazy! An entertaining read with lots of characters (and I do mean Characters!).
✨ Gramy ✨
Each book contains a cozy mystery, entertainment, and a sensible woman sleuth. I really like this series, but this was not one of my favorites.

I find that I enjoy this series alot. I also appreciate that each book can stand on its own and they deliver an HEA.

Judith
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Charming story about a woman living in Santa Cruz, CA who decides to garden. Of course the climate there is friendly to so many different plants, but her info on gardening/life and plant advice is fun and encouraged me to once again get out into my garden.
Alissa
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mysteries, series
another quick mystery. Didn't really satisfy me. I would've liked a longer book with some more resolution as it's still up in the air what will happen to the shop. Was pleased the cute sheriff was in this one since he was missing from the last one.
Paula
Hum. It was a fast read, but didn't find the characters engaging.
Diana Thacker
New Coffee Shop
Linda
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay read, but not one I would recommend. Just didn't get interesting enough to be good.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: A Maggy Thorsen Mystery
Staci
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book but marked down for issues with continuity. For example, in one conversation about a character named Susan, the character was called Susan AND Sarah. Drives me nuts.
Peggy
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this one and am enjoying the local flavor of Brookhills as could be Brookfield coffeehouse mysteries! Good inside jokes of the community and the eccentricities of the characters!
Linda
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick summer mystery read - somewhat entertaining.
Amy Paget
Odd, tongue in cheek series spoof...even though I LOVE coffee, this was tepid. Pass.
Norri
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mystery was okay; some characters get a bit tiresome what with all the aside comments and bickering.
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • The Body in the Gazebo (Faith Fairchild, #19)
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
  • Toast Mortem (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #16)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Murder Most Persuasive (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #3)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Daggers (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #3)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • The Wedding Shawl (Seaside Knitters, #5)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • The Corpse Wore Tartan (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries, #4)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
Sandra Balzo is an award-winning author of crime fiction, including fourteen books in two mystery series--one set outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the other in the High Country of North Carolina. MURDER a la Mocha, the eleventh Maggy Thorsen Wisconsin coffeehouse mystery, will be released in January, and the series has been optioned for development as a TV series/film.

Balzo's books have garnered

Maggy Thorsen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Uncommon Grounds (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #1)
  • Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2)
  • Bean There, Done That (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #3)
  • Brewed, Crude and Tattooed (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #4)
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • Triple Shot (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #7)
  • Murder on the Orient Espresso (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #8)
  • To the Last Drop: A Coffee House Cozy Mystery (Maggy Thorsen Mystery, #9)
  • Importance of Being Urnest: A Coffee House Cozy