Start by marking “Another Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:

Another Night Before Christmas

'On the night before Christmas,
A child in a house,
As the whole family slept,
Behaved just like a mouse ... '

It's the night before Christmas and a young girl creeps down the stairs, determined to find out for certain whether Santa is real ... But try as she might, she can't keep awake and is soon fast asleep.

She doesn't stir, even when Santa and his reindeer land on her r
Published 2010 by Picador (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Another Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Night Before Christmas

Start your review of Another Night Before Christmas
Sean Barrs
Well, I figured this would be the best time to post my review of this. It seems somewhat appropriate. Not that I’m overexcited about Christmas tomorrow or anything (let’s out a silent scream). Seriously though, I love Christmas and I make sure I’ve got a few Christmassy things to read over the period to keep me feeling festive.

'On the night before Christmas,
A child in a house,
As the whole family slept,
Behaved just like a mouse ... '

description

This poem was good, but not remarkable. The best thing about it
Joey Woolfardis
Two things:
I hate Christmas.
I'm not that in to poetry.

This was nice, I suppose. I felt the flow of the line jarred slightly, but I don't know if that's just because Britney Spears was on the radio whilst I read it.

The illustrations were so lovely, though. The black and white with dashes of gold sat alongside the verses very well.

It was simple, tiny, quick. Kind of regurgitating many other books that have a "if you don't believe you won't ever find it" notion about them, which is grand if you'
Fiction Addition Angela
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's the night before Christmas and a young girl creeps down the stairs, determined to find out for certain whether Santa is real, but try as she might, she cant keep awake and is soon fast asleep.
She doesn't stir, even when Santa and his reindeer land on her rooftop - but then, when he bursts out of her fireplace, she wakes up to a room filled with magic. As she watches him fly off into the night, she knows that she will never forget this sight because at christmas the best gift is belief.
Fabu
Karina Webster
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Then she watched as the room filled with magic and light
As the spirit of Christmas made everything bright..” this was wonderful! The rhymes really worked and just really got me in the mood for Christmas! Highly recommend for some festive cheer :)
Hayley
I really like The Night Before Christmas and this is a modern day reworking of the same poem. I thought this was well done and in a very similar vein to the original. The illustrations in this one are great and it is a perfect pocket sized edition.
Gerry
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was reminded that it was another night before Christmas last week, 13 November to be precise, when a neighbour introduced a light-up holly wreath in her window, a very large flashing light Christmas tree in the bay window and a large flashing light-up Santa Claus in the background - talk about too early!

But I decided it was time to read a Christmassy book so I chose Carol Ann Duffy's offering. And what a good choice it was for the story and the complementary illustrations are delightful.

The on
Alexandra Hunter
The copy I have is beautiful and illustrated by Rob Ryan. A fab long poem based on 'The Night Before Christmas' about whether Father Christmas is real. He is. Lovely to read to Year 3+ ...more
Andrina Wright
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful paper cut illustrations by the wonderful Rob Ryan and a wonderful re writing of this famous story. I love this version.
Sarah Hobbs
Miss Duffy uses her poetic skills and proves why she is THE Poet Laurette of the UK in this engaging and highly entertaining little poenovel.

Another Night Before Christmas takes all the elements that we adore from the original, but twists them in a more modern and unique way.

CLICK HERE to read my full review...
Shelly
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awwww i loved this, a modern retelling of A Ight Before Christmas. Carol's writing is as charming as ever and I love how modern life is weaved into the story.
Marc Boutavant's illistrations are BRILLIANT, hidden everywhere are things to be found, so reading as a child or adult you may pick up on different things.
Great thing for a present.
Magdalena Saito
Found it didn’t flow as well, mostly as I as expecting parameter of ‘‘twas the night before Christmas, at times rhymed, at others longer sentences,
Mixed feeling, the illustrations were lovely, and really gave a feel for the environment, but not magical as it seemed dark creepy city living, a silent but humming evenings, I could hear the traffic, and feel the noise, so it’s quite a.
N interesting take, with some very clever wordplay, and evokes wonderful imagery... just not Christmas
Y, however ,
Gemma
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I simply adore these little Christmassy poems by Carol Ann Duffy, I have also read Mrs Scrooge.
They remind me of what Christmas was like when I was a very little girl and they fill me with wonder and delight.
If there are any more I'd love to know as I wish to collect them, in order to show them to my children and family.
Callum McLaughlin
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, festive
Very charming retelling of the classic. I love Rob Ryan's art too. ...more
Rae
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-childrens, 2017
A delightful modernization of the traditional poem. Festive cheer.
Elisabeth
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is sweet and beautifully illustrated!
Jen-Jen
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jeremy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've read other Duffy Christmas books. ...more
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little book to read on Christmas Eve with amazing illustrations.
Bryan
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's July way too early for Xmas ...more
Susan Rose
This is a modern reinterpretation of the poem 'Twas the night before Christmas', and reading this is a lot more enjoyable if you have read the original. (You can read the orignial here: http://www.carols.org.uk/twas_the_nig...)

This poem has the same humour and lyrical rhyme scheme as the original, but is modernised and talks about TV and celebrities. The plot is a girl who sets out to find if Santa is real, (anymore would spoil it), and the story is so charming it made me feel very christmasey.
Leone Betts
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm and gentle, this is a lovely Christmas read. It's quite different in tone to Clement Clarke Moore - less obviously humorous and more thoughtful. If you've got little ones around, it's just the right length for a bedtime story and the illustrations are unusual but magical. All in all well worth the money and it also provides a quiet, non-religious moment to consider the psychological value of imagination and belief. ...more
Seonaid
Carol Ann Duffy is a poet I want to like, but never really do. Sadly, this version of The Night Before Christmas is just another example of the curse of the Laureate - neither magical enough to appeal to children, nor really adequate as a social commentary to please adults. Stick with the original, it has more warmth and humour, and it generally scans better, too.
Kate
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What isn't to love about this? Children waiting for Santa and the magic that is in the air, yet no one knows how, it just is. The illustrations are quirky and cute and match the narrative perfectly. Duffy's verse was a little uncomfortable to read the first time, but flows better the more I read it. This is just lovely. ...more
Anna
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The gorgeous cover art lured me in...and it was a sweet story but I do kind of wish I had bought a Terry Pratchett book instead for the same price. This is something you read once and forget about. Still, I like to own beautiful books with illustrations and this is very pretty.
T P Kennedy
Not a patch on the original. That said, it's a good poem in its own right. The updating to modern sensibilities is very clear. A brave attempt to capture some Christmas magic and anchor it to the 21st century. ...more
Frances
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Another lovely little epic (is that an oxymoron) I loved it. Sat and read it as soon as I unwrapped it 27/12/10
Jenni
It was a cute book, with colorful illustrations. Easy to understand and the story about ones beliefs in Santa were told from a very rhythmical way with rhymes through out the book.
Vee
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-copy, poetry
The actual book itself is so perfect, Rob Ryan's illustrations are so lovely and ahh, the prettiest book. ...more
L

• The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
  • Festive Spirits: Three Christmas Stories
  • Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 Days
  • Small Pleasures
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Lowborn: Growing Up, Getting Away and Returning to Britain’s Poorest Towns
  • The Breakthrough
Dame Carol Ann Duffy, DBE, FRSL is a Scottish poet and playwright. She is Professor of Contemporary Poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University, and was appointed Britain's Poet Laureate in May 2009.

She is the first woman, the first Scot, and the first openly LGBT person to hold this position.

Her collections include Standing Female Nude (1985), winner of a Scottish Arts Council Award; Selling Man