Start by marking “The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

Before The Road by Cormac McCarthy brought apocalyptic fiction into the mainstream, there was science fiction. No longer relegated to the fringes of literature, this explosive collection of the world’s best apocalyptic writers brings the inventors of alien invasions, devastating meteors, doomsday scenarios, and all-out nuclear war back to the bookstores with a bang.

The bes
Published July 8th 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the World

Jonfaith
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My existential floundering continues, doubt and fatigue shove me towards philosophy, little else. A friend suggested good music and housework. My wife shrugged. I put the iPod on shuffle --for hours. I then read all of this collection. It reminded me of the Rod Serling marathons that happen over the holidays. I can see the appeal of Neil Gaiman but will make no effort. Perhaps I am looking for community. Perhaps I should trawl the recesses of group reads. Currently my end of the world is exclusi ...more
Jason
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For an anthology this was rather good with more good stories than bad ones which makes a change on the anthologies i have read of late. Which seem to be for the editors enjoyment and no one else's. Some of them have interesting takes on the end of the world and the stories aren't to boring or repetitive.
Donna
Jun 08, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I read the first three stories and part of the fourth and gave up. None of them grabbed my attention and the editing of the e-book was terrible. Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse is a much better bet for a solid collection of apocalypse stories.
Claire
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. I liked a few of the stories but had to skip a bunch because they were boring or incomprehensible. And two of them were practically identical. Not worth the time spent.
Og Maciel
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this collection of short stories. All but maybe two of them are highly entertaining and reminders of just how fragile our coexistence with our home planet is.
Dan
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Average total of 2.77 so I guess I'm rounding it up to a 3 star rating. This was a pretty mediocre collection of stories and I will admit there were not too many that really impressed me, but the Gaiman was superb, and a few others that I thought were good. Most of this collection was average and or poor.
Michael Allan Leonard
Anthologies are always a mixed bag, and themed ones have a particular hurdle: how many stories do you really want to read about the same topic? In this case, it's the end of the world, and I love apocalyptic fiction, so bring it on.

There's a few truly memorable and haunting moments here -- a lot of cautionary post-atomic sci-fi horror but nary a zombie in sight -- but my favorite is the final entry, a novella by Poul Anderson, 'Flight to Forever', in which two amateur scientists hop in their DI
Kandice
I have been reading this in a hospital waiting room, even though I started it about 4 months ago. I've rated each story so when I have time I need to go back and average them, but overall, I didn't love it. It may warrant more than two stars, but this was not a glowing example of apocalyptic fiction!
Laurie
Uneven, as a lot of these anthologies are. Several of the stories are really excellent, a few are meh. It lost a star for being in the top 5 worst e-book editions I've ever seen - chockablock full of typos, bad formatting and spaces in the middle of words.
Matthew
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the Neil Gaiman story. There were a few other decent stories, but on the whole the collection was meh. And the Kindle version had a ton of typos.
Peggy
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great story or two, some very good stories, and a clunker or two for balance. If you're a sci-fi fan, this is a good round-up of a particular slice of the genre.
Justine
I just downloaded this free from Amazon and I was thinking about reading it but I refuse to read a collection of short stories that’s almost all by men.
Aaron
This collection needs some editing (lots of typos, probably from the conversion to Kindle), but it has some great classics. Most were entertaining, but some were rather bland. I had also read three of the stories before in other collections.

"The Hum" by Rick Hautala. 2 out of 5 stars. So the collection does not start out so great. A barely audible humming is slowly driving the world's population insane. Turns out its the sky grinding to a halt. Yes, this is what I call a "punch line" story. The
Anniken Haga
This book has been a long time reading!
I bought it around the time I got my Kindle, some 2 1/2 years ago, and it's been hanging out in my library ever since. Finally, I got around to starting it a while back, but it has taken me at least 2 month to get through all the stories in it.

As far as I can remember - thank the stars I write individual reviews when reading anthologies, or I wouldn't remember at all! - I haven't always been that impressed with this collection, but it did have some pearls.
Shane
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
So many endings

Many of the current apocalyptical stories revolve around the wars and destruction they’ll bring. So too do so many of these, but with a great variety, and not all warring.
Dallasl
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What did I just read!?

A collection of stories about the end of the world seems like it could quickly and easily be a collection of cliché tropes. THIS is far, surprisingly far, from that! Each story felt genuine and fresh. I will definitely be rereading this !
Charles
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better anthologies I've read recently. Recommended for those interested in post apocalyptic stories that lean a bit toward sci-fi.
Some of the stories were really good, some were freaky, and some were written for other authors and not for a general audience. Still, that's what you get with a collection of short stories.
Mark Schipper
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good some average stories are included in this book. I really enjoyed the final story the most.
Dawn
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I would give this anthology three stars, however a few of the short stories featured were outstanding and earned this that extra star! The stories that stood out the most were ‘We can get them for you Wholesale’ by Neil Gaiman, ‘The Underdweller’ by William F. Nolan, ‘By Fools like Me’ by Nancy Kress, ‘Dark, Dark were the Tunnels’ by George R. R. Martin, “If I Forget Thee, oh Earth...” by Arthur C. Clarke and ‘Afterward’ by John Helfers. These I will go back and read again later when I f ...more
Alan
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag. Some very good stories, some not so good. Excellent choice of authors, including Gaiman, GRRM, Robert Sheckley and Lucius Shepard. All stories about the end of the world some are little endings where things just fall apart and some are very local like the revenge of a Salvadoran war victim. It was a good travel book, but I was jet lagged and am having trouble remembering some of the stories.
Jeffrey A
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic stories for this earth issues

Many of the mankind and earth crisis stories. Many of the great authors, present and older award winners. Most stories show how hard it is to kill mankind. There are some stories I wish were included, but many I have never read. I wish also the original published date was included next to each title, so that I could easily tell what technology errors would be in the story without looking the date up.
Elisa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The problem with story collections is that they tend to be uneven. I really loved The Underdweller by William J Nolan, The Hum, by Rick Hautala and The Wheel, by John Wyndham. Dark, Dark were the Tunnels by George RR Martin is heartbreaking. Many others are excellent stories but three of them were so boring that they held me from giving the book 5 stars.
Christen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Give this collection a pass. There were a couple of stories that were good, but most were just ok. None were great or "must read". I was surprised that this lineup of authors had not-so-great stories. It took me about 4 months to get through this. I kept putting it down and reading something else instead.
Sasha Sproch
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some great, some just ok

As with any collection of stories, some landed poorly and some landed well. If nothing else, read the last one. They definitely saved the best for last. (All the stories are completely unconnected, so you can read them in any order you like, and skip to the next, if one doesn't capture you.)
Earl C
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Apocalyptic science fiction at its best and worst

The stories varied highly in their quality. Much more so than one typically finds in such collections. There is certainly something here for any reader who finds science fiction and the apocalypse an interesting combination. Some of these stories will stick with me while a few were a chore to wade through.
ukym
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great selection

Some good stories I had never read along with a couple of well known ones. I particularly enjoyed the closing story by Poul Anderson, I just re evaluated his work and I’m separating some for reading in the future.
Vikki Rawls
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mixture of stories....

A mixture of stories....some great, some good, some....not so good. Entertaining and some new ideas for me, even though I’m a long-time SciFi reader. Great to be able to pick it up and put it down at my leisure. Well worth the money spent!
Kathy Sebesta
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I don't know what it is about the stories in this collection but at 3/4 of the way thru I hadn't found one I liked, and many that were pointless or I just didn't get. I actually had to ask someone to read Norm Spinrad's "The big flash" and interpret for me.
Christy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
“War snarled between the silent white stars.” Poul Anderson, Flight to Forever

A slow start but several good stories. George R. R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, Arthur C. Clarke and Orson Scott Card piqued my interest but Poul Anderson’s eternity on the Hudson was the gem for me.
  • Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Stable Strategies and Others
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
  • Beyond Armageddon: Twenty-One Sermons to the Dead
  • Alien Contact
  • The Apocalypse Reader
  • Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The End of the Line
  • Gathering the Bones
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.
“The Norse myths give us a terrible frost, and in the Fimbulwinter, all living things die except a man and a woman who survive by hiding in a tree.” 1 likes
“Fire or ice, one or the other—who knows? The final word on finality is yet to be written.” 1 likes