Start by marking “Rrralph” as Want to Read:
Rrralph

Rrralph

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,119 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews

Would you believe that Ralph the dog can talk? Yip, yip, yip--it's true!

With bestselling author Lois Ehlert's simple, funny, call-and-response text and bold, playful collage illustrations, this fresh, young book is sure to get little ones laughing (and talking to their dogs!)

Published May 3rd 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Rrralph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rrralph

The Library Lady
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Listen up you hallowed members of the Caldecott Committee. Lois Ehlert deserves your medal. She has deserved your medal for years, while you have repeatedly passed her by for everything from a biography illustrated with woodcut prints to a frickin' pseudo graphic novel.
Take a look at this one. It embodies everything Ehlert can do. Look at her use of various media to create her collages. Look at her bold, clear designs that have appeal for even a toddler.
Combine that with a simple, clear text tha
Tasha
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert returns with another cleverly illustrated book, this time featuring a dynamic dog. Ralph is a dog who is able to talk. No, really! When they brought him home and asked him his name, he replied with “RRRalph Ralph.” He can tell you where he is when he climbs up on his doghouse: “Roof roof.” Just ask him what is on the outside of a tree, and he knows that it’s BARK. The book continues with more questions for Ralph and him answering them with a variety of barks, until at the end, he only rep ...more
Elisabeth
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bringing this home to my boys (8 and 3). The older one will like all the jokes and the little one will like the pictures (I want to see Lois Ehlert's studio someday - I have visions of piles of all sorts of fun stuff).
Melissa
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Would you like to meet a talking dog? Rrralph named himself when he came home with his boy and has been talking since. He can tell you there is bark on a tree, and that the gravel is rough rough on his paws. Lois Ehlert books are always interesting to read because she uses various methods to create her art such as drawing, cut up paper, bottle caps, pieces of fabric, a zipper for a mouth, etc.

This book would be good for a child who loves I Spy books where you have to find the hidden object becau
mary dewley
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the use of recycled materials for the pictures. It would be a cute craft/story-time program to read the story and then have the kids create their own Rrralph. Fun, vibrant and playful wordplay is sure to keep a younger audience entertained!
Kelly
I was hoping this book would be cuter than it was. Ralph is a dog who can talk...kind of. It felt like an old joke being put into a child's book. But then again, maybe that's the appeal for a child.
Lexie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent word play and laugh-out-loud fun for kids and grown-ups alike. :)
Elizabeth Chang
I loved the play on words!
Surprised me how many dog sounds can be made to sound like human words!
Milton Moon Louie
Does Ralph really talk? B
Brittany
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story, funny pictures. Baby likes when doing voices for the dog.
Molly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, juv, 4storytime
Cute story about a dog that can talk , depending on what you ask him, with the type of bark he replies. I enjoyed the multi-media approach to the illustrations.
Megan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dog puns! Example... "what's on that tree Ralph?" "Bark bark bark!"
Dewey
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-animals
I love the book but am not as big a fan of the illustrations. They're unique...but not my thing.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really funny book for an older child who would understand word play!
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The librarian suggested this one. Z loved it from the get-go. We read it multiple times. Funny, unusual illustrations, and great for a beginning reader.
Enchanting.catalyst
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dylan
This whole book is just puns
Taddow
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute little book that my three year-old loves!
Jessica
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An effective and successful title for toddler storytime.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My preschooler finds this book hilarious, the pictures are cute, and it makes an enjoyable read aloud. An all around hit.
Andrea
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Award winning author Lois Ehlert makes an excellent job as a writer and illustrator in this storybook. It is a kid telling the story of how his new dog can talk! Lois is very creative with the questions asked to the dog so that the word the dog talks is the same as a dog sound they would make. It will make children as well as parents and teacher laugh through out the whole story.
Through recycling beautiful images of the dog ralph the main theme or topic of this picture book is Dogs and language
Amy Porter
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I think this book is very appropriate for young children. The person talking in the book does a great job at interpreting the different words a dogs "bark" can sound like. The illustrations are very creative and artistic. They seem to be made of many unique materials. Overall the book is fun and easy to read.
( 1st Illustrator book)
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
RRRalph by Lois Ehlert is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

RRRalph is a very easy-to-read book about a dog who seems to be able to talk. He even told his owners that his name was Ralph! Ralph tells his owners when he's on the roof, that there's bark on the tree, that the path is rough, that a wolf is nearby, that he wants to come in the house when he's scared, and he makes it clear when it's time to sleep. Can Ralph really talk to his owners? The fun will be in havin
Rebecca Tenbrook
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot simply because I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I think if read to students they will enjoy it as well and laugh right along with you. This book plays on the sounds that dogs make (ruff, bark, yep, wolf, and so on) and make it seem like the dog is actually talking. I would love to share this to a class and see if they pick up on the fact that sometimes the way that a dog barks can sound like an actual word. I would love to read this to a class and then have stu ...more
Lisa
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I find the book to be amusing for many of my students. The illustrations make you want to touch the page as they are so creative and colorful. The dog seems to be able to talk and respond to questions. It is a great read aloud for my kiddos that seem to have a short attention span and my most reluctant readers pick this one up after it is introduced. At first I thought this book maybe a little 'young' for my second grade students, but the collage style illustrations really seem to grab their att ...more
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is built around a single gimmick of the dog saying "words" where meaning is ascribed to the spellings of the sound effects typically used for dogs in the United States. Some of the them are changed by a sound or letter to make the associations stronger (or work at all), but it works best when the original sound is left intact.
The book is illustrated using paper cut-outs and other objects that are laid out and photographed. It gives the book its unique character and works as a change of
Sherry
"RRRalph" Author Lois Ehlert was inspired by jokes that her brother, Dick Ehlert, told to his grandchildren. Young kids will love "RRRalph" because they're listening for plays on words ("How's the path feel under your feet, Ralph? Rough, Rough"). They'll also love it for the textural, photographed illustrations, a kind of craft art. This is the element that makes it a very special, interactive picture book, not just another joke book: handmade rag paper, buttons, zippers, pull-tops from soda can ...more
Eva Leger
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This isn't the type of book I normally would like. There hasn't been one other book like this that I've ever liked. But this one is different. About the only words to the "story" are "sounds" coming from the dog. He's sitting on top of his dog house and he says "roof, roof". It was actually pretty funny.
I'm not a big fan of the pieced together type of illustrations shown here either but I'm glad we read this one together one night before bed. It is cute and it'd be a hoot to read with a kid abo
Cole Mueller
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
RRRalph is a children's book about a dog who's owners think it can talk. However, the sounds are just barks that sound familiar to english words. For instance, when he barks "woof", they think he is saying "wolf" and when he barks they think he is talking about tree bark.

The theme of this book is deception because it teaches us not to be deceived by things, such as similar sounds.

I thought this book was decent because of its humor.

I am indifferent about recommending this book because it had weir
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very sweet simple storybook. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter and my special needs teen age son giggled at this book as I read it to them. If you have someone that loves dogs-puppies then they will LOVE this book. Through out the story they say "My dog says his name" and then the way the dog barks sounds like Ralph then they'll say "How's the gravel feel on your paws?" and he says "Ruff Ruff" So as the narrator asks how Ralph feels, or sees Ralph answers with a sound that a 'normal' ...more
Candice
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A humorous book about a "talking" dog. Of course Ralph talks! When you ask his name, he says "RRRalph!" When he stands on top of his dog house he tells you he's on the "Roof!" When asked what's on a tree he says, "Bark!" What's not to love about a dog that can talk? The illustrations are colorful, interesting, and creative collages made of many articles you would find around the house. Ralph's mouth is a zipper, his nose a tab from a soda can, and his legs and tail paper cut with pinking shears. ...more
  • Dog in Boots
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Mine!