Start by marking “RRRalph” as Want to Read:
RRRalph

RRRalph

Would you believe that Ralph the dog can talk? Yip, yip, yip--it's true!

With bestselling author Lois Ehlert's simple, funny, call-and-response text and bold, playful collage illustrations, this fresh, young book is sure to get little ones laughing (and talking to their dogs!)

Published May 3rd 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about RRRalph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RRRalph

Start your review of RRRalph
The Library Lady
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Listen up you hallowed members of the Caldecott Committee. Lois Ehlert deserves your medal. She has deserved your medal for years, while you have repeatedly passed her by for everything from a biography illustrated with woodcut prints to a frickin' pseudo graphic novel.
Take a look at this one. It embodies everything Ehlert can do. Look at her use of various media to create her collages. Look at her bold, clear designs that have appeal for even a toddler.
Combine that with a simple, clear text tha
Tasha
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert returns with another cleverly illustrated book, this time featuring a dynamic dog. Ralph is a dog who is able to talk. No, really! When they brought him home and asked him his name, he replied with “RRRalph Ralph.” He can tell you where he is when he climbs up on his doghouse: “Roof roof.” Just ask him what is on the outside of a tree, and he knows that it’s BARK. The book continues with more questions for Ralph and him answering them with a variety of barks, until at the end, he only rep ...more
Elisabeth
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bringing this home to my boys (8 and 3). The older one will like all the jokes and the little one will like the pictures (I want to see Lois Ehlert's studio someday - I have visions of piles of all sorts of fun stuff).
Melissa
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Would you like to meet a talking dog? Rrralph named himself when he came home with his boy and has been talking since. He can tell you there is bark on a tree, and that the gravel is rough rough on his paws. Lois Ehlert books are always interesting to read because she uses various methods to create her art such as drawing, cut up paper, bottle caps, pieces of fabric, a zipper for a mouth, etc.

This book would be good for a child who loves I Spy books where you have to find the hidden object becau
Sunah Chung
Ralph is the author's dog, and the author illustrates that Ralph is the dog could talk.
The plot consisted of the narrator, who is the author, believing that Ralph could talk. For instance, when she asked Ralph’s name, Ralph said “RRRalph, RRRalph”. When she asked where Ralph was, Ralph said “Roof, Roof”. The dog did not talk literally, but the author wittily portrayed that Ralph could talk by interpreting onomatopoeia from the perspectives of a human. The story was a bit clumsy, so rather than
Diana
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, storytime
So...I'm in the middle of a Christmas storytime when a little girl (maybe...three years old...) comes up to me and says this is the FUNNIEST book and I just HAD to read it for storytime. Well, I declined (it is NOT a Christmas book!), but I went ahead and read it when I was done and cleaned up. And you know what? It's a really cute little book! Ralph's speech is clever, and the illustrations are great. I see why the little one loved it! So while it didn't make it into my storytime today, it just ...more
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one is just plain fun! The narrator is convinced that her dog can talk. Afterall, when she asked him his name he answered, "Rrralph! Rraplh!" And, when she found him on top his doghouse and asked him where he was he answered, "Roof! Roof!"
After the first few pages preschoolers will get the pattern and have fun trying to guess what sound Ralph will make next. Highly recommended!
Kelly
I was hoping this book would be cuter than it was. Ralph is a dog who can talk...kind of. It felt like an old joke being put into a child's book. But then again, maybe that's the appeal for a child.
mary dewley
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the use of recycled materials for the pictures. It would be a cute craft/story-time program to read the story and then have the kids create their own Rrralph. Fun, vibrant and playful wordplay is sure to keep a younger audience entertained!
Taddow
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute little book that my three year-old loves!
Hannah
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really funny book for an older child who would understand word play!
Molly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about a dog that can talk , depending on what you ask him, with the type of bark he replies. I enjoyed the multi-media approach to the illustrations.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The librarian suggested this one. Z loved it from the get-go. We read it multiple times. Funny, unusual illustrations, and great for a beginning reader.
Dewey
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, dogs, pets
I love the book but am not as big a fan of the illustrations. They're unique...but not my thing.
Lexie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent word play and laugh-out-loud fun for kids and grown-ups alike. :)
Elizabeth  Chang
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews, picture, 2018, 3-stars
I loved the play on words!
Surprised me how many dog sounds can be made to sound like human words!
Brittany
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story, funny pictures. Baby likes when doing voices for the dog.
Milton Louie
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Does Ralph really talk? B
Enchanting.catalyst
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dylan
This whole book is just puns
Megan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dog puns! Example... "what's on that tree Ralph?" "Bark bark bark!"
Anthony
Meet RRRalph; a talking dog who answers questions asked by his owner in this funny, humorous story inspired by jokes told by a grandfather to his grandchildren.
N
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think kids will love guessing what Ralph is going to say next. Will be a fun read-aloud.
LC
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Illustrations aren't my style but they are cute. The stories funny and sweet.
Jessica
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An effective and successful title for toddler storytime.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My preschooler finds this book hilarious, the pictures are cute, and it makes an enjoyable read aloud. An all around hit.
Andrea
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Award winning author Lois Ehlert makes an excellent job as a writer and illustrator in this storybook. It is a kid telling the story of how his new dog can talk! Lois is very creative with the questions asked to the dog so that the word the dog talks is the same as a dog sound they would make. It will make children as well as parents and teacher laugh through out the whole story.
Through recycling beautiful images of the dog ralph the main theme or topic of this picture book is Dogs and language
Amy Porter
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I think this book is very appropriate for young children. The person talking in the book does a great job at interpreting the different words a dogs "bark" can sound like. The illustrations are very creative and artistic. They seem to be made of many unique materials. Overall the book is fun and easy to read.
( 1st Illustrator book)
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
RRRalph by Lois Ehlert is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

RRRalph is a very easy-to-read book about a dog who seems to be able to talk. He even told his owners that his name was Ralph! Ralph tells his owners when he's on the roof, that there's bark on the tree, that the path is rough, that a wolf is nearby, that he wants to come in the house when he's scared, and he makes it clear when it's time to sleep. Can Ralph really talk to his owners? The fun will be in havin
Rebecca Tenbrook
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot simply because I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I think if read to students they will enjoy it as well and laugh right along with you. This book plays on the sounds that dogs make (ruff, bark, yep, wolf, and so on) and make it seem like the dog is actually talking. I would love to share this to a class and see if they pick up on the fact that sometimes the way that a dog barks can sound like an actual word. I would love to read this to a class and then have stu ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Grumpy Monkey
  • Say Hello!
  • Bark, George
  • Ten Little Fingers
Lois Ehlert has created numerous inventive, celebrated, and bestselling picture books, including Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Holey Moley, The Scraps Book, Mice, Ten Little Caterpillars, RRRalph, Lots of Spots, Boo to You!, Leaf Man, Waiting for Wings, Planting a Rainbow, Growing Vegetable Soup, and Color Zoo, which received a Caldecott Honor. She lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin