Start by marking “RRRalph” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,060 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews

Would you believe that Ralph the dog can talk? Yip, yip, yip--it's true!

With bestselling author Lois Ehlert's simple, funny, call-and-response text and bold, playful collage illustrations, this fresh, young book is sure to get little ones laughing (and talking to their dogs!)

Published May 3rd 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about RRRalph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RRRalph

The Library Lady
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Listen up you hallowed members of the Caldecott Committee. Lois Ehlert deserves your medal. She has deserved your medal for years, while you have repeatedly passed her by for everything from a biography illustrated with woodcut prints to a frickin' pseudo graphic novel.
Take a look at this one. It embodies everything Ehlert can do. Look at her use of various media to create her collages. Look at her bold, clear designs that have appeal for even a toddler.
Combine that with a simple, clear text tha
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert returns with another cleverly illustrated book, this time featuring a dynamic dog. Ralph is a dog who is able to talk. No, really! When they brought him home and asked him his name, he replied with “RRRalph Ralph.” He can tell you where he is when he climbs up on his doghouse: “Roof roof.” Just ask him what is on the outside of a tree, and he knows that it’s BARK. The book continues with more questions for Ralph and him answering them with a variety of barks, until at the end, he only rep ...more
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bringing this home to my boys (8 and 3). The older one will like all the jokes and the little one will like the pictures (I want to see Lois Ehlert's studio someday - I have visions of piles of all sorts of fun stuff).
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Would you like to meet a talking dog? Rrralph named himself when he came home with his boy and has been talking since. He can tell you there is bark on a tree, and that the gravel is rough rough on his paws. Lois Ehlert books are always interesting to read because she uses various methods to create her art such as drawing, cut up paper, bottle caps, pieces of fabric, a zipper for a mouth, etc.

This book would be good for a child who loves I Spy books where you have to find the hidden object becau
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping this book would be cuter than it was. Ralph is a dog who can talk...kind of. It felt like an old joke being put into a child's book. But then again, maybe that's the appeal for a child.
Lexie Wells
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent word play and laugh-out-loud fun for kids and grown-ups alike. :)
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a dog that can talk , depending on what you ask him, with the type of bark he replies. I enjoyed the multi-media approach to the illustrations.
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-animals
I love the book but am not as big a fan of the illustrations. They're unique...but not my thing.
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really funny book for an older child who would understand word play!
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The librarian suggested this one. Z loved it from the get-go. We read it multiple times. Funny, unusual illustrations, and great for a beginning reader.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute little book that my three year-old loves!
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An effective and successful title for toddler storytime.
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Award winning author Lois Ehlert makes an excellent job as a writer and illustrator in this storybook. It is a kid telling the story of how his new dog can talk! Lois is very creative with the questions asked to the dog so that the word the dog talks is the same as a dog sound they would make. It will make children as well as parents and teacher laugh through out the whole story.
Through recycling beautiful images of the dog ralph the main theme or topic of this picture book is Dogs and language
Amy Porter
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I think this book is very appropriate for young children. The person talking in the book does a great job at interpreting the different words a dogs "bark" can sound like. The illustrations are very creative and artistic. They seem to be made of many unique materials. Overall the book is fun and easy to read.
( 1st Illustrator book)
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
RRRalph by Lois Ehlert is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

RRRalph is a very easy-to-read book about a dog who seems to be able to talk. He even told his owners that his name was Ralph! Ralph tells his owners when he's on the roof, that there's bark on the tree, that the path is rough, that a wolf is nearby, that he wants to come in the house when he's scared, and he makes it clear when it's time to sleep. Can Ralph really talk to his owners? The fun will be in havin
Rebecca Tenbrook
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot simply because I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I think if read to students they will enjoy it as well and laugh right along with you. This book plays on the sounds that dogs make (ruff, bark, yep, wolf, and so on) and make it seem like the dog is actually talking. I would love to share this to a class and see if they pick up on the fact that sometimes the way that a dog barks can sound like an actual word. I would love to read this to a class and then have stu ...more
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I find the book to be amusing for many of my students. The illustrations make you want to touch the page as they are so creative and colorful. The dog seems to be able to talk and respond to questions. It is a great read aloud for my kiddos that seem to have a short attention span and my most reluctant readers pick this one up after it is introduced. At first I thought this book maybe a little 'young' for my second grade students, but the collage style illustrations really seem to grab their att ...more
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is built around a single gimmick of the dog saying "words" where meaning is ascribed to the spellings of the sound effects typically used for dogs in the United States. Some of the them are changed by a sound or letter to make the associations stronger (or work at all), but it works best when the original sound is left intact.
The book is illustrated using paper cut-outs and other objects that are laid out and photographed. It gives the book its unique character and works as a change of
"RRRalph" Author Lois Ehlert was inspired by jokes that her brother, Dick Ehlert, told to his grandchildren. Young kids will love "RRRalph" because they're listening for plays on words ("How's the path feel under your feet, Ralph? Rough, Rough"). They'll also love it for the textural, photographed illustrations, a kind of craft art. This is the element that makes it a very special, interactive picture book, not just another joke book: handmade rag paper, buttons, zippers, pull-tops from soda can ...more
Eva Leger
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This isn't the type of book I normally would like. There hasn't been one other book like this that I've ever liked. But this one is different. About the only words to the "story" are "sounds" coming from the dog. He's sitting on top of his dog house and he says "roof, roof". It was actually pretty funny.
I'm not a big fan of the pieced together type of illustrations shown here either but I'm glad we read this one together one night before bed. It is cute and it'd be a hoot to read with a kid abo
Cole Mueller
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
RRRalph is a children's book about a dog who's owners think it can talk. However, the sounds are just barks that sound familiar to english words. For instance, when he barks "woof", they think he is saying "wolf" and when he barks they think he is talking about tree bark.

The theme of this book is deception because it teaches us not to be deceived by things, such as similar sounds.

I thought this book was decent because of its humor.

I am indifferent about recommending this book because it had weir
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very sweet simple storybook. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter and my special needs teen age son giggled at this book as I read it to them. If you have someone that loves dogs-puppies then they will LOVE this book. Through out the story they say "My dog says his name" and then the way the dog barks sounds like Ralph then they'll say "How's the gravel feel on your paws?" and he says "Ruff Ruff" So as the narrator asks how Ralph feels, or sees Ralph answers with a sound that a 'normal' ...more
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A humorous book about a "talking" dog. Of course Ralph talks! When you ask his name, he says "RRRalph!" When he stands on top of his dog house he tells you he's on the "Roof!" When asked what's on a tree he says, "Bark!" What's not to love about a dog that can talk? The illustrations are colorful, interesting, and creative collages made of many articles you would find around the house. Ralph's mouth is a zipper, his nose a tab from a soda can, and his legs and tail paper cut with pinking shears. ...more
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
My daughter (5) rated this book...I was not as impressed as she was. The book just didn't appeal to me that much....but then again it wasn't written with me in mind!

I did like the part about the talking dog and when you asked his name, his answer was pretty cute....that was my favorite part.

The storyline is pretty much made up of a series of old jokes...cute.

The artwork is unique and pretty cool. Lois Ehlert has a very interesting way of creating and using all kinds of items to create a pictu
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Meet Ralph the Talking Dog! So clever both in terms of text and artwork. I love Ehlert's mixed media collage art. Kids really like picking out the everyday items they recognize like with Ehlert's Snowballs. This would be an excellent read aloud and I think kids will find it funny how Ehlert found the perfect dog responses to all of the questions she poses. Highly recommend this title! Good dog storytime read :)
Taril Slater
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edr-653
RRRRalph by Lois Ehlert has an invisible narrator who says his or her dog can speak. The narrator asks the dog questions and says that the dog can respond. I think the book was cute but I wasn't a fan of the story. I think students will find the book entertaining and teachers can only use the story to entertain. This book is a very good introductory book to get students interested in learning to read.
Oh Lois Ehlert, I love your art so much, and I love that this book is an extension of dog jokes. The unseen narrator has a dog who can talk! When she asks him his name, he says, "Rrralph!" And what's on the tree? "Bark! Bark!" The ending didn't quite do it for me, but I love the "found art" look of this book (and it'd be great to inspire art projects). Looking forward to reading this one aloud to kids.
Ages 2-6. Nice big font, with plenty of white space. This is a cleaver book that uses the different sounds of dogs' barks to create a story about a talking dog. Older preschoolers will appreciate the humor more than toddlers will, but both age groups can enjoy this story. I liked that some pages had no pictures, and other were all pictures. Older preschoolers can practice their predicting skills by trying to guess what Ralph says when he's asked a question.
Lois Ehlert does it again in a fantastic book for kids. The narrator explains that his dog can talk and then proceeds to prove it. For example, when asked what's on the outside of a tree, Ralph responds with "Bark! Bark!"

Great way to get kids to interact in storytime. Children will also enjoy identifying the different objects Ehlert uses in her art.
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can dogs talk? Ralph's owner is convinced that he can! "what's on that tree?" "BARK BARK BARK." Puns and humorous wordplay abound. Ehlert's collage art at it's best, striking and accentuated with simple bold bright colored backgrounds. Kids are sure to notice used of found objects (like pop can tabs and buttons) in addition to cut paper.
  • Dog in Boots
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Mine!