Start by marking “The Real Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
The Real Mother Goose

The Real Mother Goose

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  33,082 Ratings  ·  282 Reviews
For nearly a century, The Real Mother Goose® has delighted young children!

For more than seventy-five years THE REAL MOTHER GOOSE has been delighting millions of children, and today the magic is as strong as ever. Heralded as the "standard" Mother Goose by parents, grandparents, teachers, and librarians, this wonderful book with Blanche Fisher Wright's lively, colorful pict
Published October 1st 1994 by Cartwheel (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Mother Goose, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jarrod Bartley ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????(less)

Amy
I have such heart felt memories of reading these poems to my boys. I'm giving it 5 stars for nostalga's sake.
Sandy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a very old copy of this book, given to me by my grandmother when I was 4 years old. I remember reading it.
Ashley
This was a book that was in my family's home from the older Sibs and and Because I could read I was Reading to Baby Tony EVERY CHANCE I GOT!!!! He simply loved these, Harry Houdini, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Ronald Dahl, Hans Christian Anderson, Charlies Dickens (David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, A Tale Of Two Cites, Great Expectations, and A.A. Milne (*Winnie The Pooh Bear) I remember siting down for HOURS reading and Re-reading these timeless classics over and over again. Our ...more
Debra
Some of the first rhymes and songs a child hears are Mother Goose. We say them, we sing them to infants
and children, we play "Patty Cake.' Most children I have known know at least one Mother Goose story usually many. The pictures are lovely and small children often just sit and look at the pages. Mother Goose is an excellent way to introduce the language and reading to children.

Learning extention: See how many of the poems the children are familiar with. Form into groups and act out their favori
Jadedpsyche
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I grew up with this book, and it has a beautiful nostalgia for me. I remember sitting and looking at the pictures before I could really read, and learning to love fairy tales and nursery rhymes from it. Definitely a personal favorite.
Marja
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
I got this for a present in a very special occasion, which is why this will always hold a special place in my heart. I did like this, it was cute and I liked the illustrations. That being said, I also felt I'm not the target group for this because I'm not a child anymore and also because I'm not an native English speaker. I haven't heard these when I was a child and thus they don't really take me back to childhood or anything like that. The old English was a bit difficult to understand at times, ...more
Ten_zillions
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ga-pre-k
This book offers classic nursery rhymes to young children. Mother Goose is a timeless story that can be enjoyed for generations. This book introduces a variety of rhyming words and phrases. It is colorful and engaging. Even young children who cannot quite read as yet can enjoy the beautiful illustrations and can be used as a blueprint for early reading skills.

Gina Saenz
Sep 17, 2013 added it
Shelves: libs-642
Category: Mother Goose
Source: Kimmell

This book is full of the Mother Goose rhymes that I am most familiar with. Some of the poems are written with really old world words that some children may struggle with not only pronouncing, but understanding the meaning of. However, there are plenty of other poems that are catchy and easily readable. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. They look like someone read one of the poems and interpreted it in a drawing.
I'd have a little fun with this
Susan Mortimer
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages infant-6
Shelves: lis-565
This book was originally published in 1916, and there is good reason it is still in circulation today. Fisher Wright’s abundant illustrations of the close to 300 rhymes in this collection are both beautifully done and a great exploration for the little ones of times gone past. The gentle coloring helps to create a soothing look for the eyes, and children will have fun seeing how children of a different era dressed and played. Included are all of the Mother Goose rhymes that children still know t ...more
Robin Hobb
I truly think the US would be a better place if every child received a copy of this by his/her first birthday. These nursery rhymes are the foundation of cultural literacy, and something we share with Great Britain as well. The rhythm of the little rhymes and the beauty of the language are something parents everywhere should share with their children. When I volunteer at schools, I'm always astonished at how many kids have no idea of this basic legacy of poetry. A must on my book shelf forever.
Lorie
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites from my childhood, so I had to buy it for my daughter's first Christmas in 1986. It is a treasure that will be shared in my home for a very long time. As a teacher I find more and more students are not familiar with nursery rhymes, which is troubling to me. I try to incorporate them throughout the year, either by just singing them to students or using them as teaching tools. A favorite activity of mine is to have students choose a rhyme and use a thesaurus to change a ...more
Jada
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is literally my favorite book. It has so many nursery rhymes, and they are the older versions, so there is bound to be some surprises. Just remember this when reading to kids. Personally, I don't mind sharing rhymes because they are a piece of history, but if they aren't used to nursery rhymes, or aren't familiar with fantasy movies, then maybe this is the wrong book. I personally love it. I haven't found a nursery rhyme book that has as many nursery rymes in it. I like to listen to them wi ...more
Flory
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One of the first books I read over and over again with my boys. Now I'm reading it with my grandchildren.
Kienie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, poetry
They picked a pretty creepy way to represent Mother Goose. Apparently she's tiny, or steals enormous babies and rides a giant goose? I do like these illustrations, but they do begin to look very samey after a while. And Kaion has a point: they ALL have feverishly rosy cheeks.

Little Bo-Peep: so her sheep wondered away and then were mutilated and had their tales removed?
Little Boy Blue: slacking on the job.
Rain: I'd say the opposite for CA. Rain, Rain, come our way.
The Clock: I've got too many sma
Jason
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
Recommended to Jason by: Probably my mother
Shelves: 2011
Warning. This review will likely contain some pretty tasteless material because I'm just like that. Also, it's quote long.

So, how can I give five stars to a book about a bunch of silly rhymes? Because it's awesome! I remember enjoying these as a child, but I see most of them in a different light as an adult, especially an adult in the 21st century where some of the subject matter in some of these rhymes is seen in a negative light. Also, some words have different meanings after the passage of se
Lynda Breithaupt-Muenzer
Wright, Blanche Fisher. The Real Mother Goose. (1916, 1944). I appreciate that the table of contents is an alphabetical list of first lines and their page numbers, which makes it easy to remember the poem that you want to find. The illustrations take you back in time, the time when most of these rhymes were written (1916), perhaps when your great-grandmother was a child. The infamous Pat-a-Cake rhyme made me realize I grew up saying it wrong to all the children I babysat! These writings are time ...more
Meghann Sniffen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery
Awards the book has received (if any): none
Appropriate grade level(s): prek to kindergarten
Original 3-line summary: This book is full off classic mother goose rhymes that all children would love to learn. It ranges from old to new poems with repetition and fun. These poems get the children engaged in many ways with hand gestures and even standing up and dancing.
Original 3-line review: This book is a good class book because it has loads of different poems for kids of any age. It gets children i
Hope McCabe
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery
1. Awards: None
2. Preschool
3. This version of Mother Goose rhymes stays very close to the traditional ones. With bright pictures, this retelling has the same magic passed from generation to generation. This collection introduces rhyming to very young learners.
4. Mother Goose rhymes are essential for any young child. This collection has the same magic as any other. It is a fun and rhythmic fit for the classroom.
5. In the classroom:
Using the theme of rhyming, the teacher can lead a discussion. T
Jordan Chisholm
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-nursery-rhymes
Awards: n/a

The book is appropriate for preschool-K

This book is a collection of classic nursery rhymes. It also has beautiful, classic drawings.

I liked this book. Everyone knows all the nursery rhymes and its very nice to have them all in one book with beautiful illustrations. I wish there were more nursery rhymes included.

In a preschool setting you could use this book during circle time to practice understanding rhyming words. This book would also be nice to just read to children for fun possib
Mackenzie Ford
Theme(s): Cooperation, Rhymes, Family, Poetry, Animals, Family
Opening Line/ Sentence:
Little Bo- Peep
Little Bo-Peep lost her sheep,
And cant tell where to find them;
Leave them alone, and they’ll come home,
And bring their tails behind them.

Brief Book Summary:
This book is a 128 page book filled with various nursery rhymes for young children. Some of these rhymes are very well kno
Marisa Severin
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
This book took me down memory lane. It contains a treasury of classic nursery rhymes. I was taught most of the rhymes (found in this book) by my mother and at school too. I think children of all ages can appreciate this book. It was fantastic.
Kelly
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a classic collection of nursery rhymes. Some were familiar to me and others I'd never heard before. I also love the artwork by Blanche Fisher Wright. This would be a great book to start a baby's first library!
Carmen Revilla
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming
This book is excellent for beginner readers.The colorful pictures make an enchanting introduction for very young children. Very nice book with rhymes for children. I loved this book because it's very interesting and fun to read aloud to children.
Emily
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-books
I really enjoyed this book because it is such an old version of mother goose and I loved comparing it to the newer versions and seeing what changed. My mother had this book so it was interesting to talk to her about when she would read it as a kid.
Chelsea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: georgia-pre-k
✨Jinglemarco✨  Маркуша - Мишутка (Nursery rhymes enthusiast)*
I love nursery rhymes and the illustrations in this classic volume are gorgeous, but I expected to find the ones of Little Miss Muffet and The old woman who lived in a shoe and Little Bo Peep, but there aren't.
Anna
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It may have been the copy I read it is older but the pictures were a bit dated..over all though i really love the ryhmes of course its all the clasics and it is good little rhymes for all little ones to know and learn first before they get into bigger poems and ryhmes.
Brett
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Funny, but with dark edges. My 3-year-old son loves this book. There are watered-down, safer versions of Mother Goose but they just aren't as interesting or naturally funny as the Real Mother Goose.
Marie Arie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ga-pre-k
Great book with classic rhymes for young children. The illustrations were engaging to capture children attention. Several activity extension can be utilized for literacy.
Victoria Gibson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exceptional as always
Book about a boy and a goose? 1 2 Oct 30, 2017 06:38PM
  • The Complete Adventures of Curious George
  • The Aesop for Children
  • Babar the King
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • Stone Soup
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
  • The Little Red Hen
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Children's Book of Virtues
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • Baby Farm Animals