Start by marking “The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)

The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  824 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The Blood of Ten Chiefs tells the story of the previous chieftains of the Wolfrider Clan
Published December 1st 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood of Ten Chiefs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood of Ten Chiefs

Miriam
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I will warn first that this is probably not the volume with which to begin reading Elfquest. Read at least the first volume or two of the original series first. Cutter, the leader of the elves in that series, is often referred to as "blood of ten chiefs," meaning his ancestors who led the elves before him. This book is an anthology with one story for each generation. Some of the stories were previously mentioned more briefly in the original volumes.
John Marshall
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: collected
In some ways, the elves of ElfQuest may resemble the other depictions you’re familiar with. They’re nature spirits, highly attuned to their wild surroundings, and to one another. They’re small and occasionally mischievous, but not afraid to lay waste if it comes down to it. They are long-lived, frequently beautiful, and beguiling to any who may spot them, often to their cost.

But in more ways, these elves are nothing like you’ve seen. They are not serene stewards of the woods, making wreaths from
Christopher Wagoner
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much like Thieves World, this is an anthology of short stories strung together to form a longer narrative. By and large the different stories are not connected, and it will be confusing to anyone who is not familiar with Elfquest.
That being said, this is one of my all time fave books. The World Of Two Moons is a great setting (or it WAS before all the stupid time travel) and the Wolfriders are one of the most visceral, authentic seeming groups of elves in fantasy lit EVER.
I don't reccomend start
Liz
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's Elfquest - like visiting an old friend. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoyed it.
Melissa
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
My second Elfquest novelization.

I liked this much better than the one about the main series. This is an anthology rather than a linear story. Also, these aren't stories I know by heart. The characters are characters I am less familiar with and that is to it's advantage.

A book that has a variety of stories has a higher chance of me liking it in part if not in full. And I would say a 3/4's of these stories were good and kept my interest. I liked the earlier tales more. They focused on the elves
Susan
Lessons in Passing by Robert Aspirin
Night Hunt by Diane Carey
Patty
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow...looking under the Asprin books, seeing this takes me back! The first few "ElfQuest" anthology novels were outstanding...the collection of stories were great and if you're an EQ fan, they're definitely MUST READS!
Ken-ichi
Jun 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: escape
Man, I read this so long ago. I remember enjoying it... in high school. The comics leave the history of the ten chiefs pretty open, so there's plenty of room for good storytelling. Probably not terribly appealing if you haven't read (and enjoyed) the comics, though.
Kristin
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Re-read from 3/29 to 4/3. The first book to really expand the Elfquest universe.
Jutta
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good start. I like about half the stories. mostly the early years.

Read in January, 2010
Hatdowl
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was years ago that I read this. I think it's time for a re-read.
Aaron
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I was kind of ashamed of owning this book, and I read it mostly because I had had it lying around for years. It was better than I expected, though the Piers Anthony story is the absolute pits.
Amber dePixi
Aug 28, 2016
Linda
Oct 29, 2016
Sean
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2014
Emmaj
Jun 30, 2014
Reinaldo Santos
Oct 02, 2014
Ginger
Apr 09, 2009
  • Elfquest Graphic Novel 8: Kings of the Broken Wheel
Richard Pini is one-half of a husband and wife team with Wendy Pini that created, most notably, the Elfquest series.

He was raised in Orange, Connecticut with his three siblings. Richard began writing science fiction stories early in his childhood.

In 1972, Richard and Wendy were married after a courtship of four years. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1973 with a deg
More about Richard Pini...

The Blood of Ten Chiefs (5 books)
  • Wolfsong (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #2)
  • Winds of Change (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #3)
  • Against the Wind (Elfquest: The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #4)
  • Dark Hours (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #5)