Start by marking “Cuisine de Nuit (In the Night Kitchen)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cuisine de Nuit

Maurice Sendak

Cuisine de Nuit (In the Night Kitchen)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  14,691 Ratings  ·  761 Reviews
Mickey goes on a romp in the wonderful night kitchen, where bakers make bread while the rest of the world sleeps. He imaginatively devises a way to get the milk the bakers need.
Published March 7th 1991 by Kurtzman Bk Sales Inc (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Cuisine de Nuit, please sign up.
Kristie Uebbing . I recently learned that Sendak grew up with horror stories about the Holocaust and his lost relatives. Hence the sinister nature of the ovens and…more. I recently learned that Sendak grew up with horror stories about the Holocaust and his lost relatives. Hence the sinister nature of the ovens and the Hitler mustaches on the bakers. Some of the streets and products in the drawings are named after his relatives. (less)

Michael

I have a confession to make, goodreads. You might want to sit down.

I've been seeing other literary social cataloguing websites.

No, wait, put that plate down. It wasn't because I really wanted to see anyone else. . . it was for my grade. *dodges plate* Wait, wait, let me explain! The thing is, I'm doing a big project on book reviews.

I'm analyzing the rhetorical differences between online book reviews and those published in print.

From meta-reviews to highly negative reviews, to reviews that are
Tatiana
This is such a weird book, but my 3-year old can't get enough of it, constantly singing "Milk in the batter! Milk in the batter!" Why in the world was Mikey in the cake at all?
Diane S ☔
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very seldom rate the children's books I read but I made an exception for this one because of how I came to read this story. I am reading Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way through Great Books, and in this book she discusses books and their recipes and her story that plays into them. Anyway one of the books is this one and since I absolutely adore Where the Wild Things Are, and since she said that this is a highly contested book that yearly many want to ban. So that was enough made me wan ...more
Calista
The Nephew asked to read this tonight. They found the pictures of the naked boy to giggle and laugh. Still they settled and enjoyed the story.

This reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. There is no plot, only nonsense. It is the perfect story that is like a dream. It's like we get to watch this whacked out dream this little boy is having. There is so little out there like this.

I still love this little story.
Manybooks
Now truth be told, I certainly have never ever even remotely enjoyed Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen nearly as much as his eternally and forever brilliant Where the Wild Things Are (which ranks as one of my favourite picture books of all time, period), and this is mostly because there is just not enough of a plot, of an actual storyline contained within In the Night Kitchen to fully satisfy me narrationally, but be that as it may, I will still and very much gladly and with pleasure give In ...more
Megan
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Caris
To the person (librarian, patron, library employee or hippopotamus) who censored this book: you are a jerk, and I hope you realize that scribbling ever so carefully over Mickey's private parts meant you focused more on them than anybody else who's going to read the book. Doesn't that make you the pervert?

Anyway: This book is wonderful. It made me wish I had read it aloud to somebody because there was so much rhythm in the text. Mickey's expressions are great. I can't wait to read this to my kids
Ronyell
Revised Review:

“In the Night Kitchen” is a follow-up of Maurice Sendak’s famous children’s book, “Where the Wild Things Are” and has also received the distinguished Caldecott Honor Book Award. “In the Night Kitchen” is also one of the most controversial books in history due to many images of Mickey being naked during his dream trip to the Night Kitchen. This book details the adventures of a small boy named Mickey who journeys to the Night Kitchen and meets three unusual cooks and eventually save
Lisa Vegan
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra & others
To tell the truth, I thought I was going to intensely dislike this book. I’m not a huge Sendak fan. But, I’ve seen this book discussed recently and I was curious, so I borrowed it and just read it.

What a trip! This is a wonderful book. I now get why there is all the fuss (think naked little boys; I guess that’s the objection some have) but I don’t get why there is all the fuss.

This book is so imaginative, funny, a joy to read, and yes, I even enjoyed the pictures. They were a lot of fun. Once a
Heidi-Marie
Uh, well, I tried to be grown-up and open-minded, but I (like some others) was a little surprised that Sendak would illustrate full frontal nudity. More than once. And of a child. So naked children are a bit more common in public than adults (whether intended or not). That still doesn't mean it's right. At least in this society. And in my opinion. So, I found it slightly unsettling, even in trying to put it in the context of a child's dream.

That aside, I didn't like the story either. The child
Sally
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Any time a book has polarizing reviews, I'm interested as to why. This being a kids' book made me more interested. Seems one issue was the little boy's nekkedness.

That was not an issue for me at all. Kids like being naked. We all have strange dreams. (This book is the little boy's dream.)

What really weirded me out was the three fat bakers. They were creepy. I guess this confirms that I'm not a huge Maurice Sendak fan.... ;)
Jack Kirby and the X-man
It's just way too weird for me... Maybe X-man will be able to explain it too me when he can talk!

Children have fantastic imaginations, and they'll need them to understand this book.

Why are the three bakers clones - and why do they look like Hardy (from Laurel and Hardy)?
How can you confuse milk with a small child?
Why is the oven called a "Mickey Oven" if they didn't mean to bake him?
Who eats cake for breakfast? Well, I suppose children in their dreams!

Do I dare read the final of the "Wild Things
j
Mar 10, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, nina
Somehow I never read this growing up. I have now read it to my daughter about five times. I have absolutely no idea what the hell this book is on about. "Thanks to Mickey, we always have cake in the morning!"

We do? WHO HAS BEEN TAKING MY MORNING CAKE
Amy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-petites
Maurice Sendak's illustrations are beautiful as always, but I didn't really "get" the story. Judging by other Goodreads reviewers, I was lucky to get an uncensored copy from my local library.
3Dyneisha
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are at least 100 and more books that are banned in the United States. Books of all kinds are being prohibited from schools and some libraries. But what’s the reason? Why are they being banned? Should books even be allowed to be banned? These are all questions that need answers.
I think books should not be banned. All subjects no matter how realistic they are should be allowed to be printed and exposed to the world. Reading books that covers certain topics can teach us how to look at the w
Autumn
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated-it
This is one of the creepiest books for children out there. I was traumatized by this book as a small child. I wanted to reread it from an adult perspective. It's still creepy. I will never show this book to any children.
Arielle Walker
Sweet, but no Wild Things...
Bam
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A very fun book of imagination that my two-year-old grandson adores. Yes, Mickey is naked--isn't it wonderful that we can be honest and open about our bodies?
Alyse Hayden
I am kind of on the fence abut this book. I had to read it a few times. The first time I read the book I was just all sorts of confused. I did not understand the story line or or why a child would have a dream about being baked into a cake. After reading again, I found that I liked the style the author chose to write this story. The story really flowed and it was creative. However, I just couldn't get over the idea of a child dreaming about being baked into a cake.
This book has obviously been b
Miloš & Brontë
Brontë: My favourite part was that he finded a way to get out of there, and he gone to sleep is my favourite, favourite, favourite one. And, um, and I love that there was a cake for everyone in the morning. And I like that he had a banana...just kidding...[giggles:]banana slice[more giggles:]. And I love that he got the milk for the bakers. That was really nice. And I love that he really had a piece of the cake. If he did in the real story.

Papa: What do you mean the "real story"?

Brontë: I mean t
Dolly
Aug 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
I remember reading this as a child - how sensational it was to see a boy's penis right there in a picture book!
Titter, titter, giggle, giggle.

Since then I've read this to our girls. Although they wasted no time pointing out the fact that he is naked, they weren't as scandalized by it as I remember.

I understand there's a deeper, darker underlying story to this book regarding the Holocaust, but I never got that from the book and only recently learned of it from reading an interview with Mr. Sen
Shawn Thrasher
I don't remember reading Where the Wild Things Are as a kid, but I do remember reading - or at least looking at - In the Night Kitchen. I'm sure it was because of the naked kid; I probably hunched over it with a group of other shocked and giggling kids (I remember doing the same thing with Gnomes in fifth grade because a gnome was peeing). Going back to In the Night Kitchen thirty-some years later, that's about the only thing I remembered. Whatever I thought it was about back then I don't know, ...more
Maria
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book I feel like I had on tape. Then again, maybe it's just that the words have a very strong rhythm, like a chant, that makes me feel like I had it on tape.

Anyway, the story is pretty surreal from the beginning; a little boy falls out of his bed and out of his clothes (to this day I am still surprised that Sendak chose to use full frontal nudity throughout the story) and into a wild city where huge household products and food containers replace the buildings in the skyline.

I a
Charlie George
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with tykes
Recommended to Charlie by: Melanie
Shelves: childrens, mindfuck
The only children's book I can give 5 stars, and I'll do it gladly and ask for seconds. It truly is a remarkable, psychadelic romp of a child's dream wherein

**SPOILER ALERT**
a boy named Mickey falls through his house into a fantasy kitchen with giant cooks who mistake him for some milk (milk!) and merrily bake him into their cake. Umm.... Alarm! This is a new situation for me. But fear not! Mickey escapes by fashioning an old WWII prop plane out of bread dough and shows those looney-toon cooks
Kelly
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As children's books go, this is indeed a strange one.

Micky is a sleeping child who is awakened, and somehow transfereed to a magical 'night kitchen' sans his clothes (hence the controversy). The bakers there attempt to bake him into a cake, but covered in dough - Mickey just won't have it. He finds the bakers milk, and that is why (as the tale goes) we have cake in the morning.

I was confused a bit by this story. The atatomically correct Mickey didn't really bother me (though I couldn't quite gra
Stephen Deloney
Remember enjoying this book as a kid, and its by the Maurice Sendak so naturally this will be a good story to tell to the kids at story time. It was, though admittedly I had forgotten about the nudity... which seriously... would you want the kid to have clothes on if your gonna bake him into a cake? I did have cake this morning (Thanks, Amy).
Lee
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lee by: Chandra
This got three readings on the first go!
Robert
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-18-season
'Where the Wild Things Are' it isn't. A thin story, distinct but odd art, and a surprising amount of prepubescent male nudity are the three main reasons this is more 'forgotten' than 'favorite' with kids and parents today.
Andy Verschoyle
The problem with writing books for adults is that they have all these rules, they expect things..... structure, plot, character, morality or immorality, general sensibleness, happy ending, sad ending, resolution of complexity. With a few notable exceptions, successful writers whose books sell tell us about the world as it is generally perceived and with a liberal dose of how we would like it to be.

For children (or for adults who are prepared to sit back and enjoy the ride), an author whose head
Alexis Truax
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty, I tried researching to see if this book had like a hidden meaning, or like when it was published to see if there was a connection there. But there was nothing. Nothing. This book is banned because of the nudity of the little boy. What child needs to see that? What is the point of this book? Who has cake in the morning?

I do not recommend this book for a classroom setting for obvious reasons. If they want to read about about making pie and cake with dreams I suggest reading Sweet
Alexis Redmond
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak is on quite a few banned book lists. It is about a toddler, Mickey, who dreams of floating out of his pajamas and into a bowl of cake batter in the night kitchen. Mickey pops out of the ingredients that are needed to make a cake, each time he jumps, he is naked. It is banned because of the nudity throughout the story. Many readers felt that it was unnecessary to have Mickey nude.

I do not find the nudity a problem because I feel that the kids who are readin
Ballet 3 16 Feb 13, 2014 10:16AM
  • Peter in Blueberry Land: Mini Edition
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon: Four Magical Stories
  • More More More Said the Baby
  • Tar Beach
Maurice Bernard Sendak was an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wa
More about Maurice Sendak

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99