Start by marking “A Pony for Keeps (Pony Pals, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Pony for Keeps (Pony Pals, #2)

A Pony for Keeps (Pony Pals #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  946 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Anna will lose her pony, Acorn, if her grades don't improve. The Pony Pals help each other in school and train their ponies to jump, canter, and follow instructions.
Paperback, First Scholastic Printing, 90 pages
Published January 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Rosa Cline
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-2015-novels

It is a chapter book and book 2 of the "Pony Pals" series. My now grown daughter LOVED these books as a child (she begin to read them when she was about 8) and read all of the ones in the series. I found her copy of many of them and decided to try and read them to see what they were like.

It's a nice storybook of a beginning of friendship for three girls (all 5th graders) and the bond they form with each other and each of their horses. In this story one of the girls isn't getting good grades bu
Spiros Antonapoulous
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
MC
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
So far these books have been SO wonderful! I can't wait to finish the series!
Chuyi Fang
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's such a great book! It touches my heart when I flip over the chapter that says that Acorn is about to leave.And when little girl skip the school just because she want to stay with Acorn one more day...It hurts. This book is for keep,it totally is.I hope I can get to read more chapters of it.
Sam  Bronstein
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ponies and problems galore . I love the pony pals reminds me of childhood dreams and memories in the best way
Dolly
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Pony Pals series by Jeanne Betancourt. I got the first book in this series for our youngest, who is particularly horse-crazy right now. I really thought it was something that she'd love. She read it and said it was okay, but expressed zero interest in reading any more of the books in this series. I'm really not sure why. I read the book and thought it was pretty good. It's certainly more interesting than the insipid Rainbow Magic series that she loves so much.

I bo
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, horses
OK the series took a more serious turn in book 2 and tackled some real learning difficulties. It seems that every series needs a dyslexia book or is that just me?

Anyway, here we get to know Anna better and find out that she's got some fairly serious problems at school that have an end result of losing her pony. Yikes! Poor girl!

I was glad to see the book come to a happy conclusion though once again there's no real strong characterization or voice that makes me want to read every book in the ser
Samantha
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
While the first book in the series certainly had its tense moments, this book really takes you for an emotional roller coaster, as Anna and Acorn have had more time to build a bond.

Anna's parents do seem a little mean in this book, and Anna's dyslexia seems pretty obvious, but a conversation with the Pony Pals makes it pretty clear Anna has been doing her best to hide her problems, and so it's still believable her parents would think she just wasn't trying hard enough--especially since this book
Shylar
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Summary- a pony for keeps is agout a girl named anna and she cant kepp he pony so the pony pals have to come up with a way to kepp annas pony

charcter trait- Anna is a very loveing and careing girl.Anna loves her horse acorn so much.anna likes to explore new stuff.

Most important event- The part that I thaught was important part was when anna went back to her barn and acorn was gone and she had to find a way to get acorn back.

recomdation-I persnoly think it was awsome book. if you like horses this
Victoria Mars
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is the second in a series but a reader would be able to pick it up and not be lost without reading the first. The story is simple and offers some good lessons to young readers. One of the girls is having trouble in school and faces losing her horse because of it. Young readers who love horses or who love to ride and are facing trouble in school would love to pick this book up!
Janice
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 04-owned-books
AR Reading Level 4.1, AR Points 2.0.

Very good book. These little books teach good values, kindness and understanding.

I am including reading level and Accelerated reading points or AR points for those of you who need that information for grade school. I used to include quiz number also. But will not be doing that unless I have requests for it. Enjoy!
Jetta
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anna should really believe that she can do her school work. She just needs to find her own special way to learn. Since she has dyslexic. But Anna is really good at art, she might be able to show her work by doing art.
Kay
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Another cute book for a younger girl to read. The focus on this one is less on ponies and more on dealing with having problems in school and finding solutions. Great for a child who might struggle with schoolwork.
Alisha Brook
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pony Pals was one of my favourite "horsey" series growing up. Jeanne Betancourt has a writing skill that makes the books easy to read and interesting. I read many of the series and I was enthralled with each new story.
Michele
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-juvenile
Another book my daughter read and I read after she did. This series is so wonderful...the three girls work together, figure out solutions to their problems, stick up for each other, help each other out and take GREAT care of their ponies!
Kayla
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Like I said if you like horses this is abook for you to read. Its about a girl who's looking for the perfect pony. I can't tell you more because I'll tell you the hole story, Mr.Mackie doesn't want me to that. I Loved It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twyla
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auryn-s-books
One of the pony Pals was just about to lose acorn because she wasn't good at school. But when she finally able to buy acorn to keep she found out that one of the pony bullies had this pony already and but anna didn't know but if thats why he started being bullies to pony's and the pony pals.
Taylor merrill
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: allready-read
almost done it rocks oh i just finished it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heather
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
glad acorn get's to stay. i understand anna's pain my parents used to threaten to take away my horses all the time if i got bad grades.
Cambrie
Poor Anna she doesn't get acorn there a pair
Fernette
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Book #2 and #38 are the Pony Pals books where Anna talks about her dyslexia. Our daughter loved this series.
Eryn
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
it was ok
Victoria Robinson
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
It was good to see a kids book tackling a delicate issue.
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pony-pal-books
read them all
Nicole Sandford
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-books
Nice to see a book about dyslexia. Grade 5.
Kayla
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every One
This book is a very good book. You should read this book.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Picked up this book at a garage sale for my 6 year old. She loved it. Need to go back and read book 1.
Samantha
Sep 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
was one of the first chapter books i ever read!
lol it was cute!
Kate Matson
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
When I was younger, I loved horses! I read lots of these books and really enjoyed them. Of course, it's been a long time since I've read these, but I can assure you they are worth reading.
  • Ghost Horse (Phantom Rider, #1)
  • Horse Shy (Saddle Club, #2)
  • Pony on the Porch (Animal Ark, #2)
  • Bold Beauty (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #3)
  • The White Stallion
  • Foals in the Field (Animal Ark, #24)
  • Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley
  • Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)
When I was growing up I never thought of being an author. I was a terrible speller and didn't want to write any more than I had to. I wanted to be a tap dancer when I grew up. After a few years of teaching junior high and high school, I wrote my first novel. It was a surprise to discover that I liked making up stories and writing them down. I liked it so much that eventually I stopped teaching and ...more
More about Jeanne Betancourt...

Pony Pals (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • I Want a Pony (Pony Pals, #1)
  • A Pony in Trouble (Pony Pals, #3)
  • Give Me Back My Pony (Pony Pals, #4)
  • Pony to the Rescue (Pony Pals, #5)
  • Too Many Ponies (Pony Pals, #6)
  • Runaway Pony (Pony Pals, #7)
  • Good-Bye Pony (Pony Pals, #8)
  • The Wild Pony (Pony Pals, #9)
  • Don't Hurt My Pony (Pony Pals, #10)
  • Circus Pony (Pony Pals, #11)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland