Start by marking “Bleak House” as Want to Read:

Charles Dickens

Read Book* *Different edition

Bleak House

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  79,114 Ratings  ·  3,290 Reviews
Bleak House is a novel by Charles Dickens, published in 20 monthly installments between March 1852 and September 1853. It is held to be one of Dickens's finest novels, containing one of the most vast, complex and engaging arrays of minor characters and sub-plots in his entire canon.

At the novel's core is long-running litigation in England's Court of Chancery, Jarndyce v Ja
Published 1906 by Chapman and Hall, Ltd. (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about Bleak House, please sign up.

Μαρία Γεωργίου The book is excellent and the bbc series 2005 is excellent too. I think that there at 80's another tv series of bleak house, i adore the book , iam…moreThe book is excellent and the bbc series 2005 is excellent too. I think that there at 80's another tv series of bleak house, i adore the book , iam from greece but i love charles Dickens very deeply (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brendan Heneghan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jessica
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fresh young people who have not yet ruined their eyesight
Shivering in unheated gaslit quarters (Mrs. Winklebottom, my plump and inquisitive landlady, treats the heat as very dear, and my radiator, which clanks and hisses like the chained ghost of a boa constrictor when it is active, had not yet commenced this stern and snowy morning), I threw down the volume I had been endeavoring to study; certainly I am not clever, neither am I intrepid nor duly digligent, as after several pages I found the cramped and tiny print an intolerable strain on my strabism ...more
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Το μεγαλειώδες χάρισμα της ειρωνείας που κρύβει λάμψη ψυχής!

Η ζοφερή διαθήκη της απόλυτης λογοτεχνίας γραμμένη απο τον ισχυρότερο μυθιστοστοριογράφο του 19ου αιώνα, κατακτάει όλους εμάς. Τους αναγνώστες. Τους απόλυτους κληρονόμους μιας ατόφιας περιουσίας που διαμορφώνει και στηρίζει σκέψεις και αξίες αιώνιες και απαρασάλευτες.

Βικτωριανή παράκρουση,φαντασμαγορία και κατάντια του Λονδίνου, το όραμα της Αγγλίας, ο λαβύρινθος των ανθρωπίνων δικαιωμάτων,των ατομικών συνθηκών, δοσμένα με ανθρωπολογικ
B0nnie
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
Shelves: favourite-books
Bleak House. How can it be over? I hold this incredible book in my hand and can’t believe I have finished it. The 965 page, 2 inch thick, tiny-typed tome may seem a bit intimidating. Relax, you can read it in a day - that is, if you read one page per minute for 16 hours. And you might just find yourself doing that.

Bleak House is more Twilight Zone than Masterpiece Theatre. However there is enough spirit of both to satisfy everyone. And indeed it should - it has it all - unforgettable characte
Paul Bryant
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Okay, so this is the 1853 version of The Wire. But with less gay sex. And no swearing. And very few mentions of drugs. And only one black person, I think, maybe not even one. And of course it's in London, not Baltimore. But other than that, it's the same.

Pound for pound, this is Dickens' best novel, and of course, that is saying a great deal. I've nearly read all of them so you may take my word. Have I ever written a review which was anything less than 101% reliable, honest and straightforward?
Lisa
Nomen Est Omen, in the world according to Dickens!

But don’t take it literally, especially not when reading the title of Bleak House. For Dickens also requires you to read between the lines, and letters, just like in an acrostic poem:

BLEAK HOUSE

Suits in Chancery
Everlasting favourite

Yes, Christmas is approaching, it’s Dickens time. I spent it in Chancery th
Kalliope

Reading Bleak House has had a redeeming effect for me. Before this marvel took place Dickens evoked for me either depressing black and white films in a small and boxy TV watched during oppressive times, or reading what seemed endless pages in a still largely incomprehensible language. Dickens meant then a pain on both counts.

In this GR group read I have enjoyed Bleak House tremendously.

In the group discussion many issues have been brought up by the members. First and foremost the critique on the
Jean
Which house in Charles Dickens's novel is "Bleak House"?

It surely cannot be the house which bears its name; a large airy house, which we first visit in the company of the young wards of Jarndyce, Ada Clare and Richard Carstone, and their companion Esther. Ironically, this "Bleak House" is anything but bleak. It is a pleasant place of light and laughter. Mr. Jarndyce imprints his positive outlook on life, never allowing the lawsuit to have any negative influence. Indeed, when he first took on the
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, english-lit
I know, something about a 900 page book with bleak in the title doesn’t exactly scream “summer fun”. Nevertheless, this was a page-turner with more laugh-out-loud moments than any book I've read in recent memory. Who could have seen that coming?? And it's gripping enough that I can understand why it was a bestseller, in spite of Dickens’ harsh social criticism and his rather daring innovation of dual narratives. But the story is a winner largely because of the dual narratives, which bob and weav ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I have to say that Goodreads has opened me up to many books that I probably never would have read. Through groups and friends I keep finding books old and new to read and enjoy. Some more so than others.

When I started Bleak House in one of my groups reads I had a feeling that I wouldn't understand a lot of what was going on in the book. And I found out through the same group that there was a mini series about the book. I rushed right onto Amazon Prime and watched the whole thing. Let me tell you
Matt
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I get why people dislike the legal system. It’s slow, complicated, and costly. And the only time you hear about it is when an apparently horrible decision is reached. (I shudder at how many people were ready to scrap the jury system after the Casey Anthony verdict).

As a lawyer, though, I see the legal system’s virtues (and as a public defender, its virtues, for me at least, do not include a hefty paycheck). For one, lawsuits are a better alternative than self-help justice. If your neighbor build
The Book Delinque...: Bleak House Part I: Chapters 1 - 4 3 4 Dec 04, 2017 04:00AM
The Book Delinque...: Favourite quotes 3 3 Nov 30, 2017 11:04PM
Around the Year i...: Bleak House, by Charles Dickens 3 34 Jun 10, 2017 12:20PM
Lectores de Santi...: "Bleak House" (Casa Desolada) de Dickens 4 14 Feb 14, 2017 09:20AM
Charecters in Bleak house 1 11 Jan 30, 2017 08:54PM
The Pickwick Club: Reflexions upon the Novel as a Whole 66 57 Jan 29, 2017 03:29PM
  • The Last Chronicle of Barset (Chronicles of Barsetshire #6)
  • The Cranford Chronicles
  • Adam Bede
  • No Name
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
  • The Odd Women
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...
94 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“And I am bored to death with it. Bored to death with this place, bored to death with my life, bored to death with myself.” 152 likes
“LONDON. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill. Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes — gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

Fog everywhere. Fog up the river, where it flows among green aits and meadows; fog down the river, where it rolls defiled among the tiers of shipping and the waterside pollutions of a great (and dirty) city. Fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs; fog lying out on the yards, and hovering in the rigging of great ships; fog drooping on the gunwales of barges and small boats. Fog in the eyes and throats of ancient Greenwich pensioners, wheezing by the firesides of their wards; fog in the stem and bowl of the afternoon pipe of the wrathful skipper, down in his close cabin; fog cruelly pinching the toes and fingers of his shivering little ’prentice boy on deck. Chance people on the bridges peeping over the parapets into a nether sky of fog, with fog all round them, as if they were up in a balloon, and hanging in the misty clouds.

Gas looming through the fog in divers places in the streets, much as the sun may, from the spongey fields, be seen to loom by husbandman and ploughboy. Most of the shops lighted two hours before their time — as the gas seems to know, for it has a haggard and unwilling look.

The raw afternoon is rawest, and the dense fog is densest, and the muddy streets are muddiest near that leaden-headed old obstruction, appropriate ornament for the threshold of a leaden-headed old corporation, Temple Bar. And hard by Temple Bar, in Lincoln’s Inn Hall, at the very heart of the fog, sits the Lord High Chancellor in his High Court of Chancery.”
81 likes