Start by marking “The 12 Week Year” as Want to Read:
The 12 Week Year

The 12 Week Year

5 hrs and 17 mins

The guide to shortening your execution cycle down from one year to 12 weeks

Most organizations and individuals work in the context of annual goals and plans; a 12-month execution cycle. Instead, The 12 Week Year avoids the pitfalls and low productivity of annualized thinking. This book redefines your "year" to be 12 weeks long. In 12 weeks, there just isn'
Nook, 63 pages
Published February 17th 2009 by SB Press LLC. (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 12 Week Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 12 Week Year

Start your review of The 12 Week Year
Brian Walker
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Great premise "The 12 Week Year," but save yourself the time and the $23 because the book is oversimplified and repetitious. Read the title, read the subtitle, and execute. There. That's it. Send me the $23.
Alia Makki
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know why a lot of the reviews on Goodreads are brutal about this. It’s true that a lot of the ideas have been stated more elaborately elsewhere. But to actually come up with the challenge that 90 days are enough? To write a 200-page book on the subject? On an idea that is so simple?

Of course it’s annoying to spend $23 on such an easy idea. It’s committing for three months that’s hard.

Here’s the thing, our brains are trolls. They need all the help they can get to stick to any plan. Wheth
Annie
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 3.5 stars. The steps are basic:
* Identify goals to complete in 12 weeks (instead of 1 year).
* View each week like a month (focus and commit to the goals; say no to interruptions and distractions).
* Write out a plan with steps and results for each week.
* Review the plan each day and identify what needs to get done daily.
* Score yourself every week (achieve at least 85% of plan).

The book often uses losing weight as an analogy. The 12-week plan should include details like exercise
Daniel Threlfall
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The big idea of the 12 Week Year is that you should envision each 12 weeks as a single year, set big goals, and achieve those goals.

It's an outstanding concept, and one that Keren and I have been working towards. Before she even heard of the 12 Week Year, Keren created an elegant and powerful system for achieving massive results in 90-day periods of time, and launched a group that is pioneering the method.

Moran's approach is highly tactical, and he explains a system for setting, following, and
Robert McElmurry
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is largely a sales pitch for a service website. To be fair, there are some useful ideas, but not enough to warrant an additional purchase.
Josh
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
Nothing new - goal setting, accountability, breaking visions into smaller tasks, short-term goals / horizons in service of long-term goals.

It reminds me of all the different books & techniques to knit socks. For all intents and purposes - they're the same thing, the only difference is marketing & a tiny novelty to hook you... I should probably stop reading business / finance books for that reason. All the same basics with different presentations / levels of intricacy in guidance.

The only 2 chapt
Heidi Pungartnik
Really 3.5.

This book is one of those that should have been just a blog post. The title kind of gives away what the point is -- chapters only build up on the idea of 12 week work bursts.

If you want to save some time, skip the entire first part as the concepts described in it are again briefly explained in part two as well. I even noticed some exactly identical sentences from part 1.

Powerful idea, but doesn't justify the length of this book. Reading a good summary will give you the gist of it, wit
James
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
year

noun
1. the time taken by the earth to make one revolution around the sun.
2. the period of 365 days (or 366 days in leap years) starting from January 1st used for reckoning time in ordinary circumstances.
3. 12 weeks. Apparently. Because some marketing bozo said so.
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a must have "time management" book. This belongs right along side titles by authors David Allen, Steven Covey, and Tim Ferris. This book is an excellent follow up to Sh Muhammad Alshareef's "Visionaire" workshop.

Excellent method of compressing your yearly plans into 12 weeks and celebrating the successes like you would at the end of the year. Only reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because their vision setting section is weak. However, that may be unfair since I'm comparing an NLP
Matt
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essentially this is a book on goal setting, planning, and then executing the plan. The novelty is in making it all happen at an accelerated pace in 12 weeks rather than over the span of one year (which is how we most often set goals).

The idea is to RESOLVE and BELIEVE you can more easily focus on goals and making things happen over a shorter period of time. Like I mentioned it's the idea of making it happen in just 3 months that sets this book aside from all others. The basics of goal setting a
KC
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm all about systems to increase productivity, measure progress and get more done, but this book seemed more like a sales pitch for a series of FranklinPlanner-like worksheets and forms hawked by productivity mentors and life coaches.

The premise is that if you focus on execution, you can get 1 year's worth of output produced in 12 weeks. That number seems arbitrary--and it is--at least in the context of a period of time that is short enough to sustain a sense of urgency, yet long enough to make
Ian Hord
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where the author had a set page number or word count that they needed to reach in order for someone to accept it. I remember doing that in middle school "This book report is about a character which is a dog that has a name that is Jerry. The name of the dog, Jerry, is also the name of the book which is called "The Dog Named Jerry"."
This book is so repetitious that the purpose almost gets lost in all of the words. I think if you were to read the middle 30 pages of the
Jonathan Hord
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was basically a blog-post worth of information shoved in 190 pages of "This is the best book you've ever bought" padding. The title plan isn't even revealed until around page 90. The actual plan is helpful, though a little over-corporate for my tastes, but it's buried in useless information and over-used cliche anecdotal parables to try and connect pretty easy-to-understand concepts to the reader.

Julie Bestry
There are people for whom this book will be an excellent starting point for isolating their goals and tactics and achieving that they want. (Indeed, one of my colleagues, whom I respect for her tenacity and ability to set and achieve goals is the one who recommended this to me.) I am not one of those people.

Perhaps because I read so much about time management and productivity, there was nothing novel here for me to explore. I don't disagree with any of the content so much as I didn't find it to
Charmin
Highlights:
1. The goal links the actions that you take each day as part of your plan to your long-term vision. Daily actions need to be intentionally and parsley aligned. Every 12 weeks is a new start.

2. Focusing on the activities that matter most, maintaining a sense of urgency to get those things done, and shedding the low-value activity that keeps you stuck.

3. PLANNING: Some of the most productive time you have. Your plan continually brings you back to the strategically important items. Effec
Allyson
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biz-books
I liked this. Some parts I loved, like the no bullshit tone of voice and approach. It's always irked me that people are more likely to keep creating new plans when things don't work out than they are to analyze where execution failed and then correct that before throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. I see it in my nonprofit work and also with clients. All. The. Time. So I really appreciated the authors' emphasis on failure to achieve goals as not being a knowledge problem so muc ...more
Jerrod Carter
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books on self-improvement, and this time management book, I think, will be quite helpful. I plan to take the concrete steps the book describes and apply them to my weeks and see what improved results I get. With only 168 hours in a week, and an astonishing number of those sleeping, I'd like to get more out of my conscious time. I'll be back in 13 or 14 weeks to update this review based on the first trial run I get from the book.
Amanda
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very excited to entrust this new way of thinking to make some important changes in my business. There is a very clear plan laid out in the book but it is very important that you read the book in its entirety before tying to implement this particular system. I think this book is a good read for anyone that is willing and ready to get uncomfortable with the intent of generating real results in whatever aspect of their life needs some up lifting.
Joseph R. Howard
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book, implementing its plan, and executing the daily tasks is directly responsible for saving my business. This can be a very short read for you, but if you truly realize and accept the positive change this plan can have for you, whether it is personal or business-related, you will find yourself reading each chapter two or three times each.
I highly recommend any business owner read this. Read it as soon as possible, and read it often!
Ian Stewart
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty skeptical of this one — just shorten the year and you’re done — but it’s really good. The branding of the title is a bit much but think of it as a total system for approaching rapid advancement of goals in the short term towards a longer term vision while eliminating distractions through practical management of your time and, well, that’s the book in a nutshell from my point of view. Lots to learn here.
Hahn Lin
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about focus and living each day with intention. It presents a concise system to lay out a vision for your personal and professional life, and derive goals and tactics to realize that vision. There is helpful material on planning, staying accountable and structuring your days. I am excited to start my first 12 week year!
Mike Vardy
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
A solid read but it really could have been truncated. Practical and tactical stuff. I actually would suggest that you buy the paper version rather than get the audio version. I think you would get a lot more out of it that way.
Farshad Asl
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Procrastination costs money. 12 week year will help you to shift your mindset from annualized thinking to someone with urgency. It's a good book for people with a clear vision. Enjoy!!!

~FA
Dave Bolton
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Nothing particularly new here, but may be a good motivator if you're feeling stale. I would say the main takeaways are that short feedback loops and laser focus are critical to success.
Lynne Roe
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely something to think about and try. I have started my 12 week year and it is interesting how it really motivates.
Ruby
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty simple system, yet profound when you use it. Looking forward to playing around with it more. Watch out 2017!
Stephen Heiner
For those looking for a new way (in a new year) to look at goal orientation, this book is a fascinating read. I had to read this book for a client I am helping who uses this in his curriculum, and it's a powerful helper for those who are at the beginning of the personal development curve. It walks you through all the hows and whys of goal setting, then establishes it within a proven system that turns 12 weeks into a year, which effectively gives you 4 "years" worth of goal setting within a singl ...more
Ingrid
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-2020
UPDATE: On second thought, no. This book doesn’t deserve 3.75 stars. It deserves 2 stars.
It’s been almost a year since reading this book and I’ve found a much more concise and helping mechanism to implementing 12 week year: OKRs. You would be better off googling “how to set personal OKRs” than reading this book, because it’s fairly misleading and 90% “principle” than anything else. When you realize building an OKR system can give you much more clarity it makes little sense to buy this book. Wha
Ryan Morton
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book I wish I'd read sooner.

Over the years, I've accomplish a lot and I've developed processes for goal achievement, but this book and the plan it presents took my productivity up a notch. It boils down to visioning, planning, doing, evaluating, and supporting (yourself and others). I've had the tendency to just dive in and get things done, which works in the short term, but has limitations in the long-haul. I have todo lists (I use trello), but this is more of a time-bounded goal-oriented app
How has this book changed your life? 2 18 Jan 05, 2020 06:43PM

• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
  • Shift: The 12 Tactics Real Estate Agents Must Do Now to Win in a Down Market
  • Traction
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See

News & Interviews

“the number-one thing that you will have to sacrifice to be great, to achieve what you are capable of, and to execute your plans, is your comfort.” 3 likes
“It’s not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?” —Henry David Thoreau” 3 likes