Start by marking “My Lady's Money” as Want to Read:
My Lady's Money

My Lady's Money

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Wilkie Collins (1824-1889) was an early master of mystery and suspense, writing such classics as The Moonstone, The Woman in White, and Basil. At the time of their publication, his works were classified as "sensation novels," a subgenre now seen as a precursor to mystery and suspense fiction.
Published March 23rd 2006 by Wildside Press (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about My Lady's Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lady's Money

Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening line:
OLD Lady Lydiard sat meditating by the fireside, with three letters lying open on her lap.

Page 6:
"I hate the very name of them! A person who is near enough to me to be my relation and far enough off from me to be my sweetheart, is a double-faced sort of person that I don't like.

Page 60:
"You will admit, madam," Mr. Troy answered cautiously, "that we are all of us liable, in this wicked world, to be the victims of appearances.

The plot invol
Lora
Short novel with great characters. The mystery and the plot are pretty simple. I enjoyed reading it. A really good illustration of how a woman can let herself get roped into things she does not want- even marriage to a rich and bullying man. Luckily, she escaped before it was too late! Yay! Society should take a lesson here as well and not serve as a hammer to slam a round individual into a square raw deal.
Mary Kelly
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The mystery was way too simple but the romance element made up for the lack of suspense. I like the dog best of all, he is the only honest one in the story.
Linda K
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I adore Wilkie Collins. As a friend of the well-known Charles Dickens, I think he did was a bit overshadowed by him.

This is a delightful tale of a woman of means who becomes the victim of the theft of a 500 pound note in her home. There are a number of possible suspects and she obtains help in persuing the perpetrator. She retains a young girl as her companion and as she is of much lower rank and may be looked on as the possible thief, she is sent away to her Aunt, Miss Pink, to live until the m
Tina
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it

EL DINERO DE MILADY
AUTOR: WILLIAM WILKIE COLLINS
NACIONALIDAD: INGLESA
SIGLO XIX

Este libro narra el hurto de una considerable cantidad de dinero que se le hace a una dama de alcurnia, de lo cual culpan a su hija adoptiva. Todos los personajes pueden resultar sospechosos y un hombre harapiento y de mal aspecto es contratado por uno de los empleados de Milady para hallar al culpable, a pesar de que es poco confiable.
La obra está escrita en un lenguaje de fácil lectura, poco descriptivo pero con fine
Jud (Disney Diva)
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story, it tells the tale of a missing £500 note in a very light hearted way with a dash of romance thrown in as well. Collins has a marvelous way of diverting you from the truth with his writing while stating the facts outright so you aren't ever sure of what really happened to the money.

A great book thats easy to read without leaving you brain dead!
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Classic Wilkie Collins, this book comprises a mystery, a romance, and Collins' engaging style of writing. My only compaint is that it was very short and therefore the plot was not as complex as in many of his stories. I would have liked to have spent more time with the characters and to have gotten to know them better.
Mary
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's been "Wilkie Collins Discovery Week" for me. I read his Woman in White a few years ago, but it never occurred to me that I might enjoy so many of his other tales of Victorian mystery as well. Mr. Collins was a good friend of Charles Dickens -- and now I love them both.
Lucy
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rather a silly novella without his usual page-turning magic. I didn't find any of the characters either likeable or credible, and the dog is a pain.
Ginny
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Tracy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love a Wilkie Collins story ;)
Nicola Brown
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent - very good story.
T.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-novels
The mystery was a bit too obvious but it was another interesting look at the British class system that was popular to write about in his time.
Kathy
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wilkie Collins never disappoints me. I just love his syle! HOwever, "The Lady in White" is still my favorite.
Wendy Jensen
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Delightfully written but then you would expect no less from Wilke Collins. Well defined characters make this a fun yet quick read.
Nagisa
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, 1850-1899
The suspect is quite obvious to me, and probably to most of the present-day readers whose judgment will not be hindered by prejudices about social class.
Grace Johnson
  • Aurora Floyd
  • The Well-Beloved
  • The Countess de Charny
  • The Tragic Muse
  • The Duke's Children (Palliser, #6)
  • A Dog of Flanders
  • Felix Holt: The Radical
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • Lesley Castle
  • Lady Vernon and Her Daughter
A close friend of Charles Dickens' from their meeting in March 1851 until Dickens' death in June 1870, William "Wilkie" Collins was one of the best known, best loved, and, for a time, best paid of Victorian fiction writers. But after his death, his reputation declined as Dickens' bloomed. Now, Collins is being given more critical and popular attention than he has received for fifty years. Most of ...more
More about Wilkie Collins...