Start by marking “Postcards from the Heart” as Want to Read:
Postcards from the Heart

Postcards from the Heart

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  425 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Life is looking up for Saffy. She has a great job, a gorgeous flat in the most desirable part of Dublin and - after six years - it looks like her boyfriend, Greg, is going to propose. Greg (just voted the 9th most eligible man in Ireland) is on a high, too - he's about to swap his part as a heart-throb in an Irish soap for a break in Hollywood. His best mate Conor wakes up ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from the Heart

Diane
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Initially, I thought that the entire book will simply relate the struggles and challenges to that one great ending of the four characters. Surprisingly, the book caught so many issues about work, friendship and family life. This is one aspect of Griffin's writing I appreciate. People would always claim that when you found the one, things will suddenly fall to its right place. Apparently, real life works in the opposite. You found the one? You may find yourself in bliss but at the end of the day, ...more
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I loved it, I loved the characters and I loved the ending. I could have easily read more.
Chrissyp
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was coming to the end of 'Postcards from the heart' and really enjoying it I did that thing where you check to see what else the author has written hoping to enjoy another 10 or so books by her and I was devastated to find that this is Ella Griffin's first novel! Well, I mean devastated because now I'll have to wait for her to write another but also shocked because there's no way this reads like a first novel. Firstly, it is not only laugh-out-loud funny it is chuckle-uncontrollably-to-your ...more
Victoria
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, chick-lit
I really enjoyed this book. It was a little rollercoaster which had my emotional a little all over the place. I really liked the characters and could relate to them and understand why they made the decisions they did even when it was something I didn’t necessarily agree with. It was a heartwarming story of love in all its forms.
Chloe
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saffy finally feels like everything in her life is going right for her. She’s got a great job that she loves, a beautiful expensive apartment, best friends and she is sure her boyfriend Greg Gleeson is going to propose to her at last! Greg, however, seems a bit more focused on his television career and cracking Hollywood than he is settling down anytime soon but he doesn’t want to tell Saffy that. Their best friends Conor and Jess have it pretty good too. Jess doesn’t ever want to get married bu ...more
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Postcards From The Heart is the debut novel from Irish author Ella Griffin. The novel is warm, funny, engaging and full of emotion and places Ella Griffin well and truly up there with some of the best modern female Irish authors. Anyone who enjoys Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly or Patricia Scanlan is going to really enjoy this.
If this were a film, it would be a rom-com, definitely funny and most definitely full of romance, but not slushy or overly sweet - it's down to earth and Griffin's characters a
Carol W
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There are 3 stories unfolding in this delightful read.

Saffy and Greg are the couple about town. He is the soap hunk, with a funny problem with sayings, and she has a successful career in advertising. The novel begins on Valentine's night, when Saffy feels sure Greg is about to propose. Disaster strikes at the restaurant.

Conor and Jess are comfortable with each other, having lived together for 7 years and having twins, Lizzie and Luke. Jess is quite happy with the ways things are....or is she?

Sa
Susan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was devastated when I finished "Postcards from the Heart" because it was so beautifully written, a great story with numerous plots that all interweave seamlessly drawing you into each character's life. I couldn't put this book down. Ella Griffin is one of those rare storytellers that uses language so effortlessly, so as you're reading you get right inside each character - feeling their emotions as well as experiencing the event. There are so many wonderful scenes - my top two favourites are th ...more
Penelope
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm always a little apprehensive when I try a chick lit novel by a new author, so many of them are badly written, filled with worn out cliches and unfunny asides and the authors just seems to be trying too hard. So when I started 'Postcards from the Heart' I was delighted to discover that this would not be the case with this book. Ella Griffin writes with the confidence of an established author and bring a deft and creative voice to this genre. Her characters are a delight, both those you love a ...more
Julia Freitag
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me personally the book came kind of at the right time because my mum had removed her breast too nearly at the exact time when i read about that in the book. That really depressed me, it was sad & the part about changing the drainage was too detailed for my taste. But the good thing was that I could read that book wherever I was, on the train, the bus, it was easy written & not something where you have to concentrate a lot. I liked the characters & what happened between them but f ...more
Lucinda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel i recently recived from a book blog (DizzyC'slittlebookblog.blogspot.com) and i am so greatful, as typically it is not something that i would usually pick off a shelf. It however completely and utterly suprised me and i found it to be most enjoyable. At times it made me laugh and at times i was literally in tears, it was so increadibly emotive and beautifully written. It is very detailed and descriptive and a truely beautiful love story.

For the avid reader and book lover, regardless
Anita
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives:
I like that no-one is perfect in this book. Everyone comes with their own baggage, everyone messes up, and there are consequences. Well written, believable dialogue and scenes. Lots of plot twists, so keeps you interested.
Negatives:
The number of plot twists are unbelievable. The main characters are all good looking, thin and young. Lots of the peripheral characters are bullies. Who would keep working at Komodo?

Overall: Readable.

p.s. Two of the character names in the main review are inc
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one - well written chick lit that had just the right balace of crisis, tragedy and humour with some very well drawn characters. Sadly this was a really bad manuscript proof that distracted me at times - couldn't understand why Conor + Jess signed their texts "B" and "D" and at one point I got confused between the mother's cancer consultant and the missing hamster. Lovely book though - looking forward to her next, Marian Keyes watch your back!
Nathalie
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read a few good reviews of this, so I bought it to see what it was like for myself. I must admit, I found it really really hard to get into this at first. I'm not really sure why, maybe the pace was a bit slow, maybe I had a bit of difficulty getting the hang of who people were.. but I did struggle with it for a bit. I am really pleased I stuck with it though - once I managed to get in it, I flew through it!
I will definitely be reading Ella Griffin's book.
Book-shelf Shelf
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply brilliant, hilarious accounts of what it must be like to date someone who thinks they should be famous. I laughed all the way through the antics of the four friends/lovers. Will be straight on another of Ella’s books as i love the Irish sense of humour and think Ella has it in bucket loads.
Paula de Santana
OK, so this book might not be a Literature gem, and maybe it does have some cliché stereotypes, and it might even drag a little bit half-way through, but as a romantic comedy it's brilliant.

I laughed so hard my other half thought I was going crazy. It's entertaining, easy to read, light-hearted and fun. Perfect for as holiday read or for a little bit of escapism. You can't never laugh enough!
Helena Wildsmith
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Waste of a book, disappointingly. The Conor and Jess storyline had potential but the Greg and Saffy one just made the whole book feel tacky. The characters were unlikeable and the story too unbelievable - shame!
Aileen
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, this ais a first book, by Ella Griffin, I couldn't put it down, I hope it won't be the last. A brilliant book.
Kate Kerrigan
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, romantic read set in contemporary Dublin. Full of fun and laughter - and something really different here - a beautifully crafted, well written yet highly entertaining holiday read.
Donna Irwin
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this!! Not sure why, but very witty, good story (if a bit predictable) - quite Marion Keyes in style. Found the characters exasperating - part of their charm, I suppose!!
Adrianna Kowalska
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cóż mogę napisać o tak słabej książce? "Pocztówki prosto z serca" po prostu są i tyle.
Książkę od samego początku czyta się bardzo ciężko. Poznajemy Saffy, która wychowywała się bez ojca za którym cały czas tęskni. Na dodatek ma problemy ze swoją matką, która ubiera się jak nastolatka i próbuje tak kierować swoją samodzielną córką by ta odhaczyła z listy wszystkie najważniejsze punkty, ale problem jest jeden: Saffy dalej jest panną, a to powoduje, że na starość może zostać sama. Greg jej narzecz
Truusje
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF (40%)
I'm just not interested in any of these unlikeable characters and what happens to them. They all annoy me, even more so because they tend make stupid decisions. And I'll never understand why marriage is considered necessary for a relationship to be valid.
I'm not very keen on the writing either. Funny in places but mostly too detailed and slow.
Feder
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eigentlich gibt es kaum etwas, was sich an Saffys Leben ändern sollte. Sie ist erfolgreich in ihrem Job, verdient gut und führt seit nunmehr fünf Jahren eine Beziehung mit dem Serienstar Greg. Aber am Valentinstag wird ihr klar, dass ihr dieses Leben so nicht reicht. Sie will das, was wohl alle Frauen früher oder später wollen: die Frage. Und als Greg ihr trotz eines vielversprechenden Ambientes keinen Heiratsantrag macht, brennen ihr die Sicherungen durch und sie trennt sich von ihm.
Eine Entsch
Bissfan
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bissfan by: Feder
Eine Entsch
Helen Farrow
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I loved The Memory Shop & The Flower Arrangement but gave up with this book. The characters were dire & I couldn't be bothered wasting my time to find out what happened next. Disappointing!
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frauen
Recommended to Anne by: Lovelybooks
Shelves: read-2012
Worum geht es eigentlich?
Eine lustige Liebeskomödie in Irland. So lässt sich das Buch wohl am besten zusammenfassen. Saffy arbeitet in einer Werbefirma und ist mit dem irischen TV-Star Greg zusammen. Ihre besten Freunde sind Conor und Jess, ein unverheiratetes Pärchen mit achtjährigen Zwillingen. Saffy und Greg führen schon seit sechs Jahren eine Beziehung und eigentlich hofft Saffy schon seit langer Zeit auf die eine Frage. Als Greg sie nun zum Valentinstag in ein schickes Restaurant einlädt un
Isabell
Originally posted on http://dreamingwithopeneyesreviews.bl...

FInd my review here: http://dreamingwithopeneyesreviews.bl...

Teaser
Life is looking up for Saffy. She has a great job, a gorgeous flat in the most desirable part of Dublin and – after six years – it looks like her boyfriend, Greg, is going to propose. Greg (just voted the 9th most eligible man in Ireland) is on a high, too – he’s about to swap his part as a heart-throb in an Irish soap for a break in Hollywood. His best mate Conor wakes
Butterblume
Schöner Titel,schönes Cover und eine schöne Geschichte,der aber weniger Seiten sehr gut getan hätten.
Inhalt
Saffy ist seit 6 Jahren mit Greg liiert. Greg ist allerdings kein Mann wie jeder Andere, nein, er ist Schauspieler und wird von vielen Frauen umschwärmt. Als Greg ,Saffy am Valentinstag zum Essen einlädt und eine Frage ankündigt, sieht sie sich in ihren Träumen bestätigt endlich die eine Frage gestellt zu bekommen. Doch schnell stellt sich herraus das Greg nicht im Geringsten ans Heiraten d
Sandra
"Danke. Die Ballonfahrt war wunderschön, und das Essen war..."
"Ekelhaft?"
Sie lachte. "Na ja, Kochen ist vielleicht wirklich nicht deine Stärke, aber dafür kannst du bestimmt andere Sachen sehr gut." Das Licht war aus und sie konnte sein Gesicht nicht sehen.
"Und du? Was kannst du gut?"
"Wie bitte?", fragte Saffy.
"Das hier?" Joe strich ihr zärtlich über die Schulter, über das Schlüsselbein.
"Wie eärs damit?" Er beugte sich vor und küsste sie leicht auf den Hals.

Eine nette, aber banale Liebesgeschich
Filo
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saffy arbeitet erfolgreich bei einer Werbeagentur und ist schon seit 6 Jahren mit dem Serienstar Greg zusammen. Die beiden leben gemeinsam in einer Wohnung und nun hofft Saffy, dass er ihr endlich einen Heiratsantrag macht. Am Valentinstag kommt aber alles anders als gedacht und so flüchtet Greg erstmal zu Jess und Conor. Die beiden haben dagegen trotz Geldproblemen eine glückliche Familie mit ihren Zwillingen. Doch dann bekommt Conor Aussicht auf einen Vertrag bei einem Buchverleger und hat nur ...more
  • Any Way You Want Me
  • Scrappy Cupcake Angels (Wattle Lane, #1)
  • You, Me and Him
  • Diving in (Resort to Love #2)
  • Return of the Crown
  • The Great Escape
  • The Doctrine of Venus
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EllaGriffinA...

Twitter: @EllaGriffin1

In previous lives, Ella has been Ireland’s Clumsiest Waitress and Shyest Radio DJ, a travel writer and an award winning advertising copywriter.

Her first novel, 'Postcards From the Heart', was published in 2011. Her fourth., 'The Memory Shop', is out now in Ireland, Australia and NZ. It will be released in the U.K. in March 20